In at USN

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the call from USN. Pleasant surprise, I thought they weren't going to be handing out any acceptances until January.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the call from USN. Pleasant surprise, I thought they weren't going to be handing out any acceptances until January.

WOW!!! Congrats...is that your first acceptance? If so, congrats x 100 lol!!! Awesome news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well, got a call from Dr. Harman he is an awesome guy!

I'm in as well. Got the call from Dr. Karns (I love that lady).

congrats to the ones who got into the USN dental school. I am assuming you guys are the first group to be accepted which is awesome.:) Do you guys know how many interviews will be conducted approximately? I still have not heard from the school yet, it would be good to get a rough approximate of how many spots are still open. And yes, Dr. Harman, the admission director i think, is really helpful and kind. He has given me many helpful suggestions, when I asked him for advice. I think the school is going to be great.

congrats to everyone who got in USN. My interview is on Jan 11th. Do they have 1-on-1 interview or other format? Is it open-filed or close-filed? And are there any questions that you thought were difficult or weired to answer? thanks in advance

congrats to everyone who got in USN. My interview is on Jan 11th. Do they have 1-on-1 interview or other format? Is it open-filed or close-filed? And are there any questions that you thought were difficult or weired to answer? thanks in advance

1-on-1 for about 30 minutes. The interview seemed to be open to some things.... I am not sure if it's and entire open file. However, the interviewer thought it was cool I worked at Nordstroms for years so from that alone I know its open file. No mention of my DAT, GPA etc so could be open and closed to certain things.... The questions in the interview were very straight forward. Nothing tricky that you need to prep for, but that was just for me. They had 4 different people there conducting the interviews during the day. All of them seemed very nice, down to earth people who want you to get in. I loved the school and felt very welcome by everyone. :thumbup:

I missed a call from Dr. Sandoval earlier this week... but got the email later that day! It's been a long time coming...

To all those second and third year applicants... Hang in there! This was year 3 for me!:D

Last edited:
Congrats guys
I have interview with them on Jan7 and really hope to hear some good news from them. I was choosen for Dec 10 Interview date but could not make it due to personal problems and ...

How many of your guys have multiple acceptance already and how many of you guys are sure you will be attending the USN ?

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Congrats guys
I have interview with them on Jan7 and really hope to hear some good news from them. I was choosen for Dec 10 Interview date but could not make it due to personal problems and ...

How many of your guys have multiple acceptance already and how many of you guys are sure you will be attending the USN ?

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Hey good luck, I have been accepted by some other schools and will be attending one of those instead. Awesome job, you will love USN

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in too! :soexcited:

See you guys in August! :thumbup:

Got a call today from Dr. Harmon, accepted!

I got a call on the 10th, im in too!!! Who here interviewed on the 7th January?? See you guys soon.

I gave up my spot today. Hope that means somebody else gets some good news soon.

Nice! Congrats to all! I just got back from Utah today and I came home with an acceptance! Interviewed in the morning and gotta phone call 3 hours after my interview with an acceptance! lol

First interview and first acceptance in 3 years...I'll see some of you in August! :)

Btw -- the name of the school has changed, it is now the Roseman University of Health Sciences lol Dr. Buchanon told us during the introductions of one of the deans, so yea..just a heads up!

Last edited:
congrats to you clutch! you are very lucky to get your acceptance on the way back home, since you get to bring that news to the ones who care about you. very well done clutch!
so the name has changed to the Rosman university of Health sciences. I think this sounds better than the USN. haha I am also waiting to hear back from them. How did your interview go? what was the interview like?

Thanks himnaejah! :)

Interview...what interview? lol My 30-minute interview session involved me talking for 5 minutes and my interviewer talking for 25 minutes. I only got asked 2 questions! I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad thing, but obviously, it worked out fine!

What made my actual interview easy was the fact that I guess I stood out from the other candidates with me. First to ask questions, first to answer questions, first to comment... Just gotta show them that YOU are interested in THEM if you really want that acceptance. It was my first ever interview and I wasn't about to let it slip! I think my interactions throughout the day made the faculty really like me. The interview is the LAST thing you will do that day, which is good because you'll chill out a little bit and get comfortable with the environment. Made all the difference in the world for me!

1. Deans introduce themselves and talk about curriculum, accreditation, clinicals, etc. (about an hour and half)
2. 30 minute lunch
3. 15 minute Financial Aid discussion
4. 30 minute interview
5. 10-15 minute wrap-up/short tour

Thanks again for the congrats and good luck to you!

very well done clutch! i am really happy for you. i can see why the school has accepted you so fast, you sound mature. And of course, asking questions is always a good thing, since you are showing that interest towards the school. If you show your interest towards the school, and plus with your maturity, getting acceptance will be easier IMHO.

Now, it's your turn to have some fun and enjoy your time till the school starts! Once again, congrats Clutch!

Thanks himnaejah! :)

Interview...what interview? lol My 30-minute interview session involved me talking for 5 minutes and my interviewer talking for 25 minutes. I only got asked 2 questions! I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad thing, but obviously, it worked out fine!

What made my actual interview easy was the fact that I guess I stood out from the other candidates with me. First to ask questions, first to answer questions, first to comment... Just gotta show them that YOU are interested in THEM if you really want that acceptance. It was my first ever interview and I wasn't about to let it slip! I think my interactions throughout the day made the faculty really like me. The interview is the LAST thing you will do that day, which is good because you'll chill out a little bit and get comfortable with the environment. Made all the difference in the world for me!

1. Deans introduce themselves and talk about curriculum, accreditation, clinicals, etc. (about an hour and half)
2. 30 minute lunch
3. 15 minute Financial Aid discussion
4. 30 minute interview
5. 10-15 minute wrap-up/short tour

Thanks again for the congrats and good luck to you!

The reason why they got back to you so early is because your Tuesday group was really small compared to the friday groups (30 people usually).
I went to the interview on friday jan 7th and they had a meeting about us as soon as our interview day was over and I got an answer monday morning.
So if you guys were less than 10 people that day, then no wonder they got back to you a few hours later (I was initially granted the tuesday interview and she told me the group would be smaller and notice could be given earlier if u are accepted). Anyhow, good luck..maybe we see each other:)

very well done clutch! i am really happy for you. i can see why the school has accepted you so fast, you sound mature. And of course, asking questions is always a good thing, since you are showing that interest towards the school. If you show your interest towards the school, and plus with your maturity, getting acceptance will be easier IMHO.

Now, it's your turn to have some fun and enjoy your time till the school starts! Once again, congrats Clutch!

Thank you for the kind words! :) And yes...I will DEF be chillin for the next few months!! Long overdo for me! haha

The reason why they got back to you so early is because your Tuesday group was really small compared to the friday groups (30 people usually).
I went to the interview on friday jan 7th and they had a meeting about us as soon as our interview day was over and I got an answer monday morning.
So if you guys were less than 10 people that day, then no wonder they got back to you a few hours later (I was initially granted the tuesday interview and she told me the group would be smaller and notice could be given earlier if u are accepted). Anyhow, good luck..maybe we see each other:)

Yea, I totally agree with you. Being in a smaller group really worked to my advantage, might even be the reason I got accepted in the first place! lol Either way, I'm just happy I got in somewhere...I had been trying for 3 years! lol If you decide to go there, then we'll definitely see each other. Good luck with the rest of your app process.

Congrat's Clutch!! I think that's amazing that you got a call so quickly. I had a small group interview too, but I didn't get my call until a week later! I'm sure you really impressed them throughout the day and that's why they only asked you two questions! From what I remember, I was asked quite a few questions during my interview. You must have really wow'ed them out!

Anyhow, Good luck in Dental school! Hopefully see you there. :)

Thanks shalizzle! Good luck with your app process!

Will any of you who have been accepted give any insight on the interview at USN? I have an interview in the near future, and would really appreciate some advice.

Just be confident and ask questions. Seems like they like people who show initiative and interest in the school. from what I heard from the other interviewees, just the regular dental interview questions, why dentistry, strongest characteristic, any struggles you overcame...stuff like that. You'll be ok, don't sweat it! They're really nice there!

Hey guys,

I just got an interview invitation from USN.

I am wondering if there are places to stay near school. Since I never been in Utah, I have no ideas.

thanks

Did you guys get the email about the background check ?

The offer letter said we will get info on that in May but I already got an email!! should I go a head and pay that 150 ?

Did you guys get the email about the background check ?

The offer letter said we will get info on that in May but I already got an email!! should I go a head and pay that 150 ?

I guess so, I went ahead and did it the other day.

I was accepted at USN about a month ago. For all of you that were accepted congrats! But I was just wondering why you are choosing to attend USN? I mean if its the only school you were accepted to I guess that makes sense. But looking at just the cost of school alone was enough of a reason not to go there. Its about 100K a year and if you do a 30 year lone you end up paying a total of 1,000,000! Kinda ridiculous for a new school that has yet to prove that they can crank out good dentists. What do you think?

I was accepted at USN about a month ago. For all of you that were accepted congrats! But I was just wondering why you are choosing to attend USN? I mean if its the only school you were accepted to I guess that makes sense. But looking at just the cost of school alone was enough of a reason not to go there. Its about 100K a year and if you do a 30 year lone you end up paying a total of 1,000,000! Kinda ridiculous for a new school that has yet to prove that they can crank out good dentists. What do you think?

I couldn't agree more man. I was offered an interview there on december 1st after I had already received a handful of acceptances so I politely declined.

I couldn't agree more man. I was offered an interview there on december 1st after I had already received a handful of acceptances so I politely declined.

Me too, I was extremely surprised that I didn't hear anything from them until Dec. 1, and like you iamjackbauer, I already had several acceptances, so I called them back and thanked them but declined.

The reason why they can justify the high cost is because Utah doesn't have a state school. The closest to a state school is Creighton-RDEP (you get one year of in-state tuition, then $60k in reimbursements if you come back to work in Utah after graduation). Since they are so many Utah kids that want to go into dentistry and stay in Utah, USN can charge high tuition and easily fill their class.

Yes, tuition will be that much, which is surprising since it's a brand new school.
What does "that much" mean? 50-55k/year?
Aren't most private schools about that much per year?

What does "that much" mean? 50-55k/year?
Aren't most private schools about that much per year?

Yes, that much is $50-55k. I don't remember exactly how much they said, but it's expensive. And yes, a lot of private schools are that much. For me, I would rather pay that price at a school that is more established.

The 100K per year estimate comes from the 55k tuition plus the 12-16K yearly fees/supplies (in ADDITION to tuition) plus living costs...which vary but Utah can be pretty spendy, especially in South Jordan by the school.

The 100K per year estimate comes from the 55k tuition plus the 12-16K yearly fees/supplies (in ADDITION to tuition) plus living costs...which vary but Utah can be pretty spendy, especially in South Jordan by the school.

It sounds like quite a few people just don't want to "take the risk" of being in the first USN DMD class. UNLV is 75K/year tuition for non-residents...now that is insane!

What is the typical cost of fees/supplies for dental school? Is USN's cost comparable?

If USN's total costs are that much more than other private schools I can understand all your concerns and agree with them. But if they are very comparable to other private schools than USN seems like a great option for those who live with family or who have a spouse that already has a good job along the Wasatch Front; you could save a lot on living costs that way-that is, if you think that South Jordan living costs are that bad to begin with. A little more regarding COL, you could live in Murray or West Jordan for less than South Jordan. You could also live in Utah or Davis/Weber county for less if you are willing to drive a little further. Even South Jordan is much less than living in the surrounding areas of many other dental schools.

USN also seems like a great option for those At Large RDEP acceptees that don't think they'll be trying to match into a competitive post DMD residency but rather want to be a general dentist and/or that aren't too concerned about the stigma of being part of the first DMD class of a new dental school.

Last edited:
Yea, the school is expensive, but like some of you said above, most private schools are around the same cost. USN is the only school I got accepted into, so I really don't have much of a choice. I'd much rather stay home in Texas where the costs would be HALF with in-state tuition. But it is what it is. I've been trying for 3 years to get accepted so I'm just happy and relieved, and for those of you who have not been accepted yet, you can agree that SOMEWHERE is better than NOWHERE. Just my 2 cents..

Did anyone get accepted yet that interviewed on Friday the 4th??

Why is everyone making such a big deal about the cost? Yes its expensive, but we all know its a brand new, private school. What do you expect? Every private school starts off that way and once they're established, tuition may or may not go down depending on the situation.

No offense, but I really feel like you guys are demotivating some people from attending USN (Roseman University of Health Sciences). If you guys are choosing not to go there that is your personal choice, just don't ruin it for other people. Especially those that haven't even interviewed there. If I had read these comments before interviewing, I definitely would have been turned down about the school. Everyone has a unique circumstance, I'm sure whoever chooses to go to USN has fully looked over his/her options and has come to the right decision for themselves (whether or not they have been accepted elsewhere or not). Also, I don't think its right to tell people that they should not expect getting into a competitive post-grad program (e.g. Orthodontics) and probably just consider general dentistry. Nor do I think its right to assume that USN may not get a good patient pool. And most importantly, please don't tell people that this first class is going to be full of people that haven't gotten in anywhere else (even if its true, that doesn't mean these students are any less intelligent, or driven than some of you out there that have options). How do you guys seriously know all this? Are all these assumptions being made just because people are choosing to go to a brand new school?

I'm sorry for the way I sound right now, but I am pretty offended by some of the comments I read on this forum and others. Especially those coming from people that are not even choosing to go to this school.

Thank you.

I totally agree with what you said, I think a lot of you should stop bashing the school. It may be new, but it will become a great school! Every single school had to start from somewhere and build upon its reputation.

The school may cost 100k, but look at NYU, USC, MWU-AZ/IL, Western there costs are right up with USN. They may have been around a few more years, and I personally believe USN will be a great school, and clinical program. After the building are built, you will be amazed, Western U, looked like a dump 3 years ago before their first class was admitted and look now, their facilities and reputation is growing!

Why is everyone making such a big deal about the cost? Yes its expensive, but we all know its a brand new, private school. What do you expect? Every private school starts off that way and once they're established, tuition may or may not go down depending on the situation.

No offense, but I really feel like you guys are demotivating some people from attending USN (Roseman University of Health Sciences). If you guys are choosing not to go there that is your personal choice, just don't ruin it for other people. Especially those that haven't even interviewed there. If I had read these comments before interviewing, I definitely would have been turned down about the school. Everyone has a unique circumstance, I'm sure whoever chooses to go to USN has fully looked over his/her options and has come to the right decision for themselves (whether or not they have been accepted elsewhere or not). Also, I don't think its right to tell people that they should not expect getting into a competitive post-grad program (e.g. Orthodontics) and probably just consider general dentistry. Nor do I think its right to assume that USN may not get a good patient pool. And most importantly, please don't tell people that this first class is going to be full of people that haven't gotten in anywhere else (even if its true, that doesn't mean these students are any less intelligent, or driven than some of you out there that have options). How do you guys seriously know all this? Are all these assumptions being made just because people are choosing to go to a brand new school?

I'm sorry for the way I sound right now, but I am pretty offended by some of the comments I read on this forum and others. Especially those coming from people that are not even choosing to go to this school.

Thank you.

I totally agree with what you said, I think a lot of you should stop bashing the school. It may be new, but it will become a great school! Every single school had to start from somewhere and build upon its reputation.

The school may cost 100k, but look at NYU, USC, MWU-AZ/IL, Western there costs are right up with USN. They may have been around a few more years, and I personally believe USN will be a great school, and clinical program. After the building are built, you will be amazed, Western U, looked like a dump 3 years ago before their first class was admitted and look now, their facilities and reputation is growing!

Agreed! I interviewed there and got in, and I LOVED the school! I got into my 1st choice, though, so I won't be going to USN. BUT, I also got into a few others and was going to choose USN over those! So, it is NOT full of people who had no other option! Let people say what they want! Those who visit and/or end up going there will see how amazing it already is, despite being new, and how amazing it will be in the future! The faculty are awesome and the facilities will be top notch! Good luck to everyone! :)

Drshalizzle will you be attending USN? Does anyone out there have an idea how full the class is as of now? I have not heard of anyone getting accepted lately...

At the interview I had last friday the associate dean said they had sent out 40 acceptances...but didn't say how many deposits were put down.

Drshalizzle will you be attending USN? Does anyone out there have an idea how full the class is as of now? I have not heard of anyone getting accepted lately...

Hi there, yea I'm going to USN. What about you?

I hope so! I interviewed there last Friday.. Still have yet to hear back from them. I'm getting a little nervous, it seemed like most people got accepted the Monday after their interview... but I'm not losing hope!

Thanks for the comment shalizzle! Great way to get the point across. Personally, I can't wait to get started at USN! Hope to see some of yall there!