Including Students for Justice in Palestine on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask about the general opinion of adding my involvement in an organization such as SJP?

I've had a significant role on the board. My family grew up in Palestine and immigrated here so the issues happening there are very important to me.

We do things like bring speakers, creative displays, etc. to raise awareness of the crises. We've also done various things regarding philanthropy.

Will mentioning this hurt me in any way?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At best, it's neutral. At worst, it's negative. I wouldn't include it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask about the general opinion of adding my involvement in an organization such as SJP?

I've had a significant role on the board. My family grew up in Palestine and immigrated here so the issues happening there are very important to me.

We do things like bring speakers, creative displays, etc. to raise awareness of the crises. We've also done various things regarding philanthropy.

Thanks!
Might not go over well at the Touros or Einstein, for starters. Given how problematic Middle eastern politics are, I suggest that you follow the wise @gonnif's advice and minimize your risk by not mentioning it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I googled it and the first thing I see is a “take over” they did of a midterm at a college where almost 80 of them got arrested for trespassing and one bit a cop.

That’s what you would be associating with for better or worse

Reactions: 7 users
I googled it and the first thing I see is a “take over” they did of a midterm at a college where almost 80 of them got arrested for trespassing and one bit a cop.

That’s what you would be associating with for better or worse
Yeah, one of my biggest concerns i had about it is some of the other chapters shedding a bad light on the organization. I guess it's best not to mention :/

Might not go over well at the Touros or Einstein, for starters. Given how problematic Middle eastern politics are, I suggest that you follow the wise @gonnif's advice and minimize your risk by not mentioning it.
Thank you. I'm leaning towards not mentioning it.
This opinion is with regards to anything political correct? I'm very involved in Syrian refugee outreach in the community, nothing political. This is fine right?

Thank you. I'm leaning towards not mentioning it.
This opinion is with regards to anything political correct? I'm very involved in Syrian refugee outreach in the community, nothing political. This is fine right?
Helping refugees is fine.
As for other issues or causes, it will depend upon what they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Some things are universally admired (for example, participating in a medical or service mission to an impoverished country); others are very polarizing. I would refrain from mentioning something that's so steeped in politics and demagoguery. You don't know where your interviewers and other adcoms sit on the issue of Middle Eastern politics, and the very name of the organization -- "Students for Justice in Palestine" -- practically screams that the group takes a strongly polarizing ideological stance. Part of casting a wide net is emphasizing the parts of your application that are palatable to folks of every reasonable sociopolitical persuasion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users