Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I start the 1st and I still don't even know what classes I'll be taking!
That's the thing, though, it's not like college where you had individual classes and a schedule. It's just...med school. Everyone in the same lectures all the time. 'Classes' doesn't really mean anything anymore!

Members don't see this ad.

That's the thing, though, it's not like college where you had individual classes and a schedule. It's just...med school. Everyone in the same lectures all the time. 'Classes' doesn't really mean anything anymore!

Hmm interesting. So there's no like "electives" or anything? It's just the same exact classes for everyone?

Hmm interesting. So there's no like "electives" or anything? It's just the same exact classes for everyone?
I mean, at least here (and some other places I've had friends at) there are electives...that you can take on top of having the same exact classes as everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, at least here (and some other places I've had friends at) there are electives...that you can take on top of having the same exact classes as everyone else.
Where is "here"? Just curious.

Where is "here"? Just curious.
If you search you can dig it up...it's not a secret on here but I'm trying to back off so that it is less current/prominent on my profile. If you can't dig it up, just PM me.

We have electives but I think most of them start later on in Sept. So for at least the first month or so, we're all taking the same classes. It's definitely different to get used to compared to undergrad. My parents keep asking me what classes I'm taking. I just shrug and say, medicine stuff...? ;)

Love this thread.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that this **** is expensive!

Reactions: 5 users
We have electives but I think most of them start later on in Sept. So for at least the first month or so, we're all taking the same classes. It's definitely different to get used to compared to undergrad. My parents keep asking me what classes I'm taking. I just shrug and say, medicine stuff...? ;)
Even if you take electives, you're still taking the main bulk/core with all of your classmates.

Guys I finally got my drivers license today! I'm so happy!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Packing up an apartment I've lived in for three years makes me realize how much of a hoarder I am. Throwing frivolous things away is hard...I need help..:arghh:
Also, I HATE packing

Reactions: 3 users
Even if you take electives, you're still taking the main bulk/core with all of your classmates.
Yes, of course. I was just saying that until September, we will all be taking the exact same courses, no electives, no difference at all in our schedules.

Yes, of course. I was just saying that until September, we will all be taking the exact same courses, no electives, no difference at all in our schedules.
True.
We do get split into some smaller group activities and field experiences, so there is *some* variation in the afternoons. Mornings are all the same, though.

True.
We do get split into some smaller group activities and field experiences, so there is *some* variation in the afternoons. Mornings are all the same, though.
Yeah, same. I actually got really nervous when I first connected to our Google calendar because it looked totally insane. And then I realized they listed every small group and every anatomy section and I'll only be in one section for each of those things. Phew. It's actually only slightly insane. :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, same. I actually got really nervous when I first connected to our Google calendar because it looked totally insane. And then I realized they listed every small group and every anatomy section and I'll only be in one section for each of those things. Phew. It's actually only slightly insane. :eek:
Ahh, ours links gCal to our individual, personal schedules, so it includes the correct room number and group, which is nice!

Reactions: 1 users
I wish my school used Gmail. We use Outlook. What the heck is Outlook?? It's so like archaic compared to what I'm used to.

I wish my school used Gmail. We use Outlook. What the heck is Outlook?? It's so like archaic compared to what I'm used to.

Damn. Outlook? So old-school. :oldman:

The fact that our calendar includes every section actually makes it much less useful. I'm trying to avoid having to copy each thing onto my own personal Google calendar... but I'm worried it'll be really annoying/confusing to see events that I don't need to attend.

Same! I integrated it with the mail app on my computer so it doesn't really matter though.

I set up a personal Gmail and just have the Outlook email and my old undergrad email forwarding to my personal Gmail. I just have to remember to reply to school emails through Outlook and not from the personal Gmail haha.

Been in class going on 6 weeks now...granted they've been public health classes but you all can wait...def no rush...haha

I am def excited for you guys though.

Been in class going on 6 weeks now...granted they've been public health classes but you all can wait...def no rush...haha

I am def excited for you guys though.
But really, what is the difference between public health and population health? (Please, gods, do not actually answer that).
#justBlock1things

I set up a personal Gmail and just have the Outlook email and my old undergrad email forwarding to my personal Gmail. I just have to remember to reply to school emails through Outlook and not from the personal Gmail haha.
You can actually set up Gmail to send and receive emails from different accounts as if it was a mail client on your phone or PC. For example when I compose an email in Gmail, it asks if I want to send it from my personal Gmail (default), my UG email, my UG's college of engineering email, or my two med school emails.

It really helps because you only have to keep up with one inbox and can use one address book for everything When replying, it automatically selects the correct account.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

You can actually set up Gmail to send and receive emails from different accounts as if it was a mail client on your phone or PC. For example when I compose an email in Gmail, it asks if I want to send it from my personal Gmail (default), my UG email, my UG's college of engineering email, or my two med school emails.

Does that only work when all the emails are hosted by Gmail? Cuz that sounds cool but my school email isn't Gmail.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My school does this too! It took such a long time to get used to.

Is anyone else scared as f*** for classes to begin? My school already has an exam the second week of classes :shrug:

My school does this too! It took such a long time to get used to.

Is anyone else scared as f*** for classes to begin? My school already has an exam the second week of classes :shrug:

I'm actually much more scared for the whole making friends part. I figure if we were accepted, they have faith that we can handle the academic part. I'm sure it'll be ridiculously hard but we've all shown that we are capable of dealing with it.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually much more scared for the whole making friends part. I figure if we were accepted, they have faith that we can handle the academic part. I'm sure it'll be ridiculously hard but we've all shown that we are capable of dealing with it.

I'm actually scared of making friends too, but I figured that everyone will be pretty open to meeting people the first few weeks

YAHS 3wks in that's still my #1 concern no question.
I'm actually scared of making friends too, but I figured that everyone will be pretty open to meeting people the first few weeks
It's not about them being open, it's about clicking with any of them.

I have the same fears as you guys. I'm really good with people when its a group of <8~, but when it gets bigger I tend to be content to sit back and listen rather than actively engage.
I think the best course of action is just to make it to as many socials initially as possible and find a group / person that you click with

I have the same fears as you guys. I'm really good with people when its a group of <8~, but when it gets bigger I tend to be content to sit back and listen rather than actively engage.
I think the best course of action is just to make it to as many socials initially as possible and find a group / person that you click with
Haha, I'm the opposite...I talk too much and am overbearing in groups. And I never do seem to find that 'click'. I stopped going to the social things pretty quickly because I'm surprised at how *not* in the college mindset I am after only 3yrs out and it just...doesn't seem that appealing?

YAHS 3wks in that's still my #1 concern no question.
It's not about them being open, it's about clicking with any of them.
I hear ya. Hopefully we're all content with our classmates :)

Does that only work when all the emails are hosted by Gmail? Cuz that sounds cool but my school email isn't Gmail.

Yeah my UG email was on its own server and it worked fine. Then they moved to outlook (office 365) and it continued to work fine. My med school uses Gmail and it also works fine. Gmail acts as a standalone mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, the email app on your phone).

Just go to settings in Gmail and then the Accounts and Import tab. Use the send mail and receive mail from an account you own settings.

Life is moving too fast. Today I got my license and bought a car. In 4 days I'm moving to a new city to start med school. None of this even seems real.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my brown belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu after 8 years of training. Should I wear it to orientation next week? Everyone in my class will be like :bow:

Just got my brown belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu after 8 years of training. Should I wear it to orientation next week? Everyone in my class will be like :bow:
Only if it's in leather and matches your dress shoes :p

Life is moving too fast. Today I got my license and bought a car. In 4 days I'm moving to a new city to start med school. None of this even seems real.

I feel you. I'm not even nervous about this whole thing, really. Over my relatively short time out of school and work (Inc 4 months of traveling) I've kinda forgotten what working hard is like, but I do know how to adapt and build social circles.
Now that makes me a little nervous...

Haha, I'm the opposite...I talk too much and am overbearing in groups. And I never do seem to find that 'click'. I stopped going to the social things pretty quickly because I'm surprised at how *not* in the college mindset I am after only 3yrs out and it just...doesn't seem that appealing?
dude, same about the mindset. I noticed a lot of people went out an got hammered to fk @ SLW every night. I was more like, okay lets go to this restaurant, see this side of town, enjoy the night with the spouse, etc. (SLW was like 3 or 4 days) and the next morning people were hungover and reliving the night, which was awesome for them, but that was me three years ago. Trashing my liver and making questionable choices due to Jager and tequila just are not appealing at this point :dead:
But, I don't do well as a loner, so I'll have to do these shindigs in the foreseeable future.

dude, same about the mindset. I noticed a lot of people went out an got hammered to fk @ SLW every night. I was more like, okay lets go to this restaurant, see this side of town, enjoy the night with the spouse, etc. (SLW was like 3 or 4 days) and the next morning people were hungover and reliving the night, which was awesome for them, but that was me three years ago. Trashing my liver and making questionable choices due to Jager and tequila just are not appealing at this point :dead:
But, I don't do well as a loner, so I'll have to do these shindigs in the foreseeable future.
Haha I'm still 21 and going out and getting trashed sounds pretty horrible to me. Your version of a fun night sounds much more appealing.

Haha I'm still 21 and going out and getting trashed sounds pretty horrible to me. Your version of a fun night sounds much more appealing.
Dude, I found like the sickest place, too. It's a whiskey and raw bar place. Hella expensive, but holy smokes it was incredible. I had a "lower end whiskey" and the difference between that and Jack alone? Blew my mind. Mind you one glass was comparable to the entire bottle of Jack, but I'm not sure how much they inflate their per glass. (There was one on the menu that was 2000$/glass) Pair that with some little neck clams? YES PLEASE!
I spent more time around the upperclassmen than my class during SLW and made good friends/acquaintances with them, but barely know anyone in my own class. (Then again, part of me was skeptical of who was actually staying and didn't want to get attached to anyone quite yet)

edit: I'm very "dude" this morning; please ignore this :'D

Dude, I found like the sickest place, too. It's a whiskey and raw bar place. Hella expensive, but holy smokes it was incredible. I had a "lower end whiskey" and the difference between that and Jack alone? Blew my mind. Mind you one glass was comparable to the entire bottle of Jack, but I'm not sure how much they inflate their per glass. (There was one on the menu that was 2000$/glass) Pair that with some little neck clams? YES PLEASE!
I spent more time around the upperclassmen than my class during SLW and made good friends/acquaintances with them, but barely know anyone in my own class. (Then again, part of me was skeptical of who was actually staying and didn't want to get attached to anyone quite yet)

edit: I'm very "dude" this morning; please ignore this :'D
S'all good, sometimes you just get in a 'dude' mood. The other day I found myself typing 'totes' in half of the texts I sent, because apparently that day I was 12.

I'm from CA and moving to the Midwest for medical school next week. Do you guys have any recommendations/advice for where to get a relatively cheap and good full-size bed?

I'm from CA and moving to the Midwest for medical school next week. Do you guys have any recommendations/advice for where to get a relatively cheap and good full-size bed?

Amazon! I got the cheapest 6-inch coil one. It comes in a box and inflates by itself when you open it. Even better if you have prime. You could also probably find a lightly used one on Craigslist for cheaper though.

Amazon! I got the cheapest 6-inch coil one. It comes in a box and inflates by itself when you open it. Even better if you have prime. You could also probably find a lightly used one on Craigslist for cheaper though.

Sweet, thanks! Do you happen to remember the specific bed on Amazon you ordered so that I could check it out? If not, no worries!

Sweet, thanks! Do you happen to remember the specific bed on Amazon you ordered so that I could check it out? If not, no worries!

Signature Sleep on Amazon sells pretty ok cheap beds, all things considered.

Amazon product

Last edited:

It was signature sleep or something 6 inch coil. If you search "signature 6 inch coil full mattress" it should come up. I think it might 120 ish right now but I got it on Prime Day for a little less than that. There are other options on Amazon too if you want to spend a little bit more or less (less would probably mean getting a twin).

Edit: here it is

I just picked up my new car, IT'S SO CUTE. I'm in love with an inanimate object.

It really helps because you only have to keep up with one inbox and can use one address book for everything When replying, it automatically selects the correct account.

Suuuper useful, I swear by it.

Suuuper useful, I swear by it.
Yeah, I do the same, and I have Gmail sort it into different inboxes for me by email address and keywords so that I can keep them all organized!