Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This desk is beautiful and I NEED it. But dem' shipping cost :( :(

BTW...what is a reasonable budget for furnishing an 1 bedroom apartment. In the past when I lived in college all my friends and I just brought whatever we had and made a hodge-podge of all variety of furniture, etc.

But now that I will be living alone and a bit older, I would atleast like to have a cohesive theme to my place...what is reasonable to spend??

I didn't read any of this ^.

You got accepted?? Congrats! I told you, I was pulling for you

Members don't see this ad.

BTW...what is a reasonable budget for furnishing an 1 bedroom apartment. In the past when I lived in college all my friends and I just brought whatever we had and made a hodge-podge of all variety of furniture, etc.

But now that I will be living alone and a bit older, I would atleast like to have a cohesive theme to my place...what is reasonable to spend??
Walmart has some pretty good and cheap desks anddd shipping was free

I mean, I spent like 1000~ in UG for a 2.5 year apartment. Bought a desk, desk chair, bookcase, dresser, headboard / bed holding unit, and mattress (most expensive). Only thing missing was a kitchen table which we borrowed from our college :'D (plastic fold up one that was like 5-6' long.. for those two years). It was also all IKEA though and lasted hella good. Sold it all for like 400 I think. Maybe 5.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Try craigslist. I got a great wood desk for $90. I couldn't find anything better for cheaper.

Coming up with a apartment furnishing budget is a good idea but I think "reasonable" will vary for everyone. A good idea would be to come up with lists of "need" items and "want" items. Be specific with the lists, so that you are able to make "apples to apples" comparisons. Start with the need items and start shopping around for them - look at ikea, target, Walmart, Craigslist, home goods, etc. Looking at these items in these stores and online will give you an idea of how much these things cost. From these estimates, you can make a budget. If it's looking like you are finding good deals and getting items for less than expected, you can start looking at the "wants" list if you want or you can save the cash.

Reactions: 1 user
Way back when my junior year in college I went to an "office resupply store" and bought an old wooden countertop, then went to ikea and bought a set of legs to put onto the wooden board to make a desk. 95% cheaper than buying a desk an honestly 100% better since it was super big, I didn't have to worry about messing it up, and it was a finished piece so it actually looked legit. It was awesome.

Try craigslist. I got a great wood desk for $90. I couldn't find anything better for cheaper.

Coming up with a apartment furnishing budget is a good idea but I think "reasonable" will vary for everyone. A good idea would be to come up with lists of "need" items and "want" items. Be specific with the lists, so that you are able to make "apples to apples" comparisons. Start with the need items and start shopping around for them - look at ikea, target, Walmart, Craigslist, home goods, etc. Looking at these items in these stores and online will give you an idea of how much these things cost. From these estimates, you can make a budget. If it's looking like you are finding good deals and getting items for less than expected, you can start looking at the "wants" list if you want or you can save the cash.

can i add wayfair as a place to shop too? Its got some good stuff for pretty cheap. All homegoods

Health forms are due on Friday at my school.

Got my titers results back yesterday. Had 3 MMR titers the pas 2 yrs, all negative for measles. Now I have to scramble to find a place to get MMR vaccine dose #4.

2-5% do not get measles immunity after the first MMR dose, so there is a 0.0008-0.0125% chance of not having immunity after 3 doses. What the hell am I supposed to about it?
-_-

Edit: Problem solved. I just need one more booster, which I can get today. #perksofworkinginahospital
In the exact some boat. Immune to mumps and rubella, but not measles, ugh.

Also, apparently, not only do I have low immunity to HepB, but I'm completely negative for the antibodies. Apparently, my titer showed that it looked like I never even had the series, which is weird because I did, so now I have to redo it. Ugh. The kicker is that my doctor, who is an idiot, didn't even notice- it was only when I was going over my blood work that I pointed it out to her, and she was just like "oh yeah, I completely missed that."

In the exact some boat. Immune to mumps and rubella, but not measles, ugh.

Also, apparently, not only do I have low immunity to HepB, but I'm completely negative for the antibodies. Apparently, my titer showed that it looked like I never even had the series, which is weird because I did, so now I have to redo it. Ugh. The kicker is that my doctor, who is an idiot, didn't even notice- it was only when I was going over my blood work that I pointed it out to her, and she was just like "oh yeah, I completely missed that."

Make sure you're looking at the right Hep B test, as well. Had the entire series as a kid and my school is trying to tell me my Heb B titer was negative. The test they're looking at is Hepatitis B Core Antibody Total (which tells whether you've ever been exposed to Hep B, and should be negative), and the test they think it was is Hepatitis B Surface Antibody (HBsAb, which measures antibodies formed in response to past infection or vaccination -- this one does show immunity).

I'm not buying any long term furniture...I like able to fit my entire life in my car, and take it wherever I go. I'm going to be moving in 4 years, I don't want to be tied down with a bunch of random furniture. You can usually find a desk on Craigslist that is free and works, especially in the college area I will almost certainly buy a couple of small appliances for the kitchen, because otherwise I'll never eat at home if it's not easy but that's about it.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.

I'm not buying any long term furniture...I like able to fit my entire life in my car, and take it wherever I go. I'm going to be moving in 4 years, I don't want to be tied down with a bunch of random furniture. You can usually find a desk on Craigslist that is free and works, especially in the college area I will almost certainly buy a couple of small appliances for the kitchen, because otherwise I'll never eat at home if it's not easy but that's about it.

My mindset is the exact opposite right now lol. I had cheap craigslist furniture last year during my gap year since I knew/hoped I'd be moving and lived in a frat house in college so that stuff was basically trash as well. So now for the first time in my life I'm looking forward to investing in some nice classy furniture and artwork to have a decent and mature apartment set up.

Adulting is fun!!

Reactions: 4 users
My mindset is the exact opposite right now lol. I had cheap craigslist furniture last year during my gap year since I knew/hoped I'd be moving and lived in a frat house in college so that stuff was basically trash as well. So now for the first time in my life I'm looking forward to investing in some nice classy furniture and artwork to have a decent and mature apartment set up.

Adulting is fun!!
For me, it doesn't feel much like adulting to buy a bunch of furniture I can't afford, before living with zero income for 4 years, and then another 4-6yrs with an income lower than my interest on the debt I'm going to accrue, plus spending extra money to cart it all through at least 2 major moves. It feels more like playing dress up with monopoly money

I can have a perfectly nice apartment, with non trash furniture, even if it's not exactly what I would have picked out, for cheap enough and little enough effort that it will be no problem to ditch or all in 4 years and start again somewhere else. yeah, it would feel nice to nest a little, but not nice enough to be worth it. Adulting is overrated!

For me, it doesn't feel much like adulting to buy a bunch of furniture I can't afford, before living with zero income for 4 years, and then another 4-6yrs with an income lower than my interest on the debt I'm going to accrue, plus spending extra money to cart it all through at least 2 major moves. It feels more like playing dress up with monopoly money

I can have a perfectly nice apartment, with non trash furniture, even if it's not exactly what I would have picked out, for cheap enough and little enough effort that it will be no problem to ditch or all in 4 years and start again somewhere else. yeah, it would feel nice to nest a little, but not nice enough to be worth it. Adulting is overrated!
Well this was depressing to read....

Reactions: 5 users
Well this was depressing to read....
Haha, sorry man, I'm in the middle of my 37 hour road trip to start school and I'm feeling the zen of the highway, and I can't imagine giving up this sense of freedom and independence of movement to tie myself to a couch.

It's just like getting a dog, in that I would love to have one, but I'm not ready to spend money to have to give up the freedom NOT having one entails. As soon as I have other more compelling reasons to be home more or live in one place long term like a significant other or a child, I will probably gladly get both!

Members don't see this ad :)
To play devils advocate, depending on your school, there could be upwards of a 40% chance you'll stay at your home program for residency. Would adding 3-7 years to that location alter your mind set? :bookworm:

Reactions: 1 users
To play devils advocate, depending on your school, there could be upwards of a 40% chance you'll stay at your home program for residency. Would adding 3-7 years to that location alter your mind set? :bookworm:
I would rather there not be any external factors like moving convenience influencing me to pick my school's program over others that may be a better fit. Also, not really...still can't afford it for years.

Woah man, maybe I'm wrong but I sense some bitterness in there. Just wanted to say that I was in no way disparaging or criticizing your choices! Merely posted as I was reflecting on how the same milestone can mean different things to different people. You're reasons are just as valid as mine, no hard feelings meant. Good luck on your long drive!

4 years is actually a long time. I'd rather use equivalent of one month's rent to furnish my empty studio. Also, it is possible that I will stay 8 or 9 years instead of 4 at the same place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Woah man, maybe I'm wrong but I sense some bitterness in there. Just wanted to say that I was in no way disparaging or criticizing your choices! Merely posted as I was reflecting on how the same milestone can mean different things to different people. You're reasons are just as valid as mine, no hard feelings meant. Good luck on your long drive!
Nah, I just don't care about furniture, never plan to own a house, hope to keep moving, etc. Adulting just doesn't all have to look the same is all!
I'm not bitter, I just habitually over-explain. And the idea of being mobile is one I'm passionate about, but almost no one else seems to share, so I tend to feel the need to justify it because people often write it off as simple immaturity.

Can I just say how much I hate the term "adulting".

Reactions: 12 users
Oh I completely agree. It is just a stupid term coined by our generation to alienate the concept of growing up and being mature.
You cooked food? Congratulations, you're a functioning human capable of a basic necessity to keep yourself alive.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I completely agree. It is just a stupid term coined by our generation to alienate the concept of growing up and being mature.
You cooked food? Congratulations, you're a functioning human capable of a basic necessity to keep yourself alive.

That was a very grown up statement, I can tell that you're a pro at adulting.

Reactions: 15 users
It's funny, because I like the term, I just think that it's typically used to give too much value to things which are considered mature, but are actually rather pointless. So while you're upset because people are describing things they should have been doing anyways, I think it's silly because people are usually describing thing they shouldn't care about in the first place!

It's funny, because I like the term, I just think that it's typically used to give too much value to things which are considered mature, but are actually rather pointless. So while you're upset because people are describing things they should have been doing anyways, I think it's silly because people are usually describing thing they shouldn't care about in the first place!

And it seems that you and I are very good at kidding. :D

Yes. It reminds me of what I call "buzzfeed culture". Includes adulting, worshipping Beyonce, being jealous of your friends with kids, drinking too much wine, watching Netflix in all your freetime, and seeing your pets as human, among other things.

Yes. It reminds me of what I call "buzzfeed culture". Includes adulting, worshipping Beyonce, being jealous of your friends with kids, drinking too much wine, watching Netflix in all your freetime, and seeing your pets as human, among other things.
Thank you for putting this into words. I can't stand that. It really grinds my gears when people pretend they're obsessed with dogs or something like that. Wow, you like dogs, what an interesting personality trait! You must be really different from the rest of society! Ditto for Beyonce, Netflix, Chipotle, etc.

Hey, don't knock my fur babies ;)
In all seriousness, I don't understand the adulting thing. I've been cooking and fending for myself since HS though, so maybe more people (than I realize) have mom and dad or the dining halls cook for them until they're in their mid 20s.

Thank you for putting this into words. I can't stand that. It really grinds my gears when people pretend they're obsessed with dogs or something like that. Wow, you like dogs, what an interesting personality trait! You must be really different from the rest of society! Ditto for Beyonce, Netflix, Chipotle, etc.
But...Chipotle is delicious!

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting together and enjoying the fact that there are some almost universally enjoyable things. It feels nice to have things in common, that's why it's fun to get together and root for the same Sports team or whatever. It's nice to share in at least some part of communal culture. The issue comes when those Universal traits are the extent of your personality or character. Then instead of being someone who likes to participate in Internet pop culture, you are nothing and no one but a reflection of Internet pop culture.

In all seriousness, I don't understand the adulting thing. I've been cooking and fending for myself since HS though, so maybe more people (than I realize) have mom and dad or the dining halls cook for them until they're in their mid 20s.
Admittedly, I didn't do a whole lot of cooking in high school. But when I got to college and was living in an apartment, I decided that I wanted to learn. So, I went on the internet, looked up "how to cook _____" and then I cooked it. And we all lived happily ever after.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting together and enjoying the fact that there are some almost universally enjoyable things. It feels nice to have things in common, that's why it's fun to get together and root for the same Sports team or whatever. It's nice to share in at least some part of communal culture. The issue comes when those Universal traits are the extent of your personality or character. Then instead of being someone who likes to participate in Internet pop culture, you are nothing and no one but a reflection of Internet pop culture.

I feel the exact same way, you just said it much more eloquently!

Yeah, it's like how people (at least to) look up to Jennifer Lawrence because zomg! So quirky and relatable! It just seems so forced and condescending to me somehow. Nothing wrong with jamming to some Queen Bey or enjoying a burrito bowl. What annoys me when is when people treat it like religion, or post "articles" with titles like "This picture of Beyonce blah blah blah is everything."

Yeah, it's like how people (at least to) look up to Jennifer Lawrence because zomg! So quirky and relatable! It just seems so forced and condescending to me somehow. Nothing wrong with jamming to some Queen Bey or enjoying a burrito bowl. What annoys me when is when people treat it like religion, or post "articles" with titles like "This picture of Beyonce blah blah blah is everything."
Try being gay and thinking that Beyonce is just okay and that the only way Lady Gaga is tolerable is when you are already drunk and dancing in a sweaty haze. The hive mind is strong in gay city communities. At least we have fun

Reactions: 3 users
Nah man, can't agree with you on this one, Jennifer Lawrence is awesome.

Try being gay and thinking that Beyonce is just okay and that the only way Lady Gaga is tolerable is when you are already drunk and dancing in a sweaty haze. The hive mind is strong in gay city communities. At least we have fun

Okay. How dare you. Those are both Cardinal sins.

I have a child on the way, a wine fridge and both of my cats have human names....

No, I think it's just that we like to celebrate and share every banal victory in our lives. Making it a meme and calling it adulting just gives it validation.

I have a "friend" from undergrad who is in residency (us old 30+) and she shares everything about her day. Not the medically fascinating stuff, just the commonplace things about doing nights and being so busy or generically saving lives. And uses hastags like #doclife. It's the same thing as adulting and it drives me nuts.

........it would also be really nice if you kids could get off my g*dd*mn lawn!

I have a child on the way, a wine fridge and both of my cats have human names....

No, I think it's just that we like to celebrate and share every banal victory in our lives. Making it a meme and calling it adulting just gives it validation.

I have a "friend" from undergrad who is in residency (us old 30+) and she shares everything about her day. Not the medically fascinating stuff, just the commonplace things about doing nights and being so busy or generically saving lives. And uses hastags like #doclife. It's the same thing as adulting and it drives me nuts.

........it would also be really nice if you kids could get off my g*dd*mn lawn!
The older generation does the same thing, really... They just call it talking around the dinner table. I call it "I'm trying to eat, it's not news that you did the same thing at work that you do everyday" but really, everyone likes to do that at the end of the day, so I listen attentively, and then probably do the same thing. Most younger folks live alone these days, so maybe posting banal details of their day, is just a different manifestation of that same instinct that causes people to reiterate what work is like at dinner do the same people every day, when they have people. At least Their audience isn't captive!

Nothing wrong with that! My dog is named Seamus.

No, what gets me is people like my aunt who, just an example, have bumper stickers along the lines of "my dog is smarter than your kid" and gets mad if we don't invite him to family parties.

Edit: She's also created Facebook and Twitter profiles on which she takes on the person of her dog.

I need to get out of my parents' house... I mean I love them but damn, I'd almost rather pay money to live somewhere else this summer.

Are you me?

Well that was an interesting conversation that my post inadvertently started!

In all seriousness though, I'm 23 and yet most of the time I do not feel like an adult whatsoever. Hence the whole "adulting" meme. Gotta celebrate the small victories

I'm 23 and yet most of the time I do not feel like an adult whatsoever.
In 3 months you'll be cutting open a cadaver. How's that for feeling like an adult?

No one has posted in this thread in nearly a month, so... *bump*

I move to my new city in 9 days. Haven't packed a thing. I have done a few things on my checklist, so I haven't been procrastinating completely!

Orientation starts August 16th. Pretty excited to actually get going!

In 3 months you'll be cutting open a cadaver. How's that for feeling like an adult?
I'm still not an adult and our moment of silence for our donors was 3wks ago now :eek:

I move down to my new city in 7 days! Somehow in those 7 days I have to buy stuff for my apartment, pack, get my driver's license, and buy a car. :nailbiting:

I move down to my new city in 7 days! Somehow in those 7 days I have to buy stuff for my apartment, pack, get my driver's license, and buy a car. :nailbiting:
Probably best to buy new stuff after you move!

Probably best to buy new stuff after you move!
True! Only problem is orientation starts on August 1st, which is the first day I can move into my apartment.
Obviously this was not well-planned Haha.

Moving in a week and starting orientation shortly thereafter. Fun stuff! I wish I was doing something moderately more exciting with my last week of freedom but alas I don't have any money. I'm very excited to start medical school.

True! Only problem is orientation starts on August 1st, which is the first day I can move into my apartment.
Obviously this was not well-planned Haha.
School started weeks ago.
I just got my mattress. Fortunately this school is awesome and everyone was willing to help however they could!

School started weeks ago.
I just got my mattress. Fortunately this school is awesome and everyone was willing to help however they could!
Glad you like it! I've heard good things from my friend who just started there as well.

I'm jealous of y'all that have started already or start soon. The 16th seems like a long time away still, and I'm getting a little stir crazy. But, our first week class schedule came out, and that was enough to give me a lil anxiety!

I'm jealous of y'all that have started already or start soon. The 16th seems like a long time away still, and I'm getting a little stir crazy. But, our first week class schedule came out, and that was enough to give me a lil anxiety!

I start the 1st and I still don't even know what classes I'll be taking!