Incoming OMS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

As the title and my status says, I'm a part of the very fortunate to gain an acceptance to medical school. Of course on top of the stress of realizing that it's now showtime, I've started to really think about what potential specialities I could see myself in. With that being said, I've developed a top 5 list of specialities that I think are reasonable as a DO applicant. Those are (in no particular order) IM-most likely subspecialize in Pulm/CC or Heme/Onc, PM&R, Anesthesia, Neuro, and EM. Am I setting my sights too high with these specialties/subspecialties? I just want to start researching and talking with potential specialties to get a feel for what it's like while I wait to start med school next year. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

None of these specialties are available to you unless you are smart enough to use Google.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol cool.
he ain't wrong though...nothing someone will tell you here is something that couldn't be answered with a quick search. Look up "Charting outcomes in the match" and look for how many DO applicants the programs that responded consider. There are also tons of threads on here about it.

Also, don't worry too much about specialties until at least halfway through M1 if not later. People's preferences change and you should get the hang of med school first and see approximately where you stand academically before you start building a CV for a certain specialty, only to change it later. Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously dude, learn to search for info yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
he ain't wrong though...nothing someone will tell you here is something that couldn't be answered with a quick search. Look up "Charting outcomes in the match" and look for how many DO applicants the programs that responded consider. There are also tons of threads on here about it.

Also, don't worry too much about specialties until at least halfway through M1 if not later. People's preferences change and you should get the hang of med school first and see approximately where you stand academically before you start building a CV for a certain specialty, only to change it later. Good luck
Not only that. OP is 4 years out from auditioning/applying. A ton could change by then.
Lol cool.
Just focus on getting the material down and a good board score. Thats what will tell you what specialty youre interested in haha

Reactions: 1 users
As the title and my status says, I'm a part of the very fortunate to gain an acceptance to medical school. Of course on top of the stress of realizing that it's now showtime, I've started to really think about what potential specialities I could see myself in. With that being said, I've developed a top 5 list of specialities that I think are reasonable as a DO applicant. Those are (in no particular order) IM-most likely subspecialize in Pulm/CC or Heme/Onc, PM&R, Anesthesia, Neuro, and EM. Am I setting my sights too high with these specialties/subspecialties? I just want to start researching and talking with potential specialties to get a feel for what it's like while I wait to start med school next year. Thanks for the help!
Very attainable, however Heme/one may be more difficult

Harsh responses and, honestly, I don't think any of them even make sense. Did you guys even read what he's asking? He wants to talk to real people in these fields, if possible, to get their input. Him googling wont give him the outcome he's looking for. Give the kid a break, yeesh.
He literally asked if the specialties he listed are attainable.

Don't worry about specialties at this point. Hit the ground running 1st year and study hard. You can't get into anything if you don't make it to boards.

Reactions: 4 users
He literally states he thinks they are attainable, then asks (via implication) if he could converse with those in these fields and/or those who are pursuing it.

Pick it up, first year.

Look at the exact question he asked:

Meh. It’s a logical progression in his obvious wonder and fear of his future. Everything else (his other sentences where he questions) in his post points to him wanting to get insight from those who actually have experience

I definitely get what you're saying. But I think the guy could definitely look this up, this kind of stuff has been discussed so much on reddit/SDN/etc. Plus what I really don't understand is why people don't just ask on the specialty sub-forums about specific fields like this. Like, he could have just asked on the IM forum.

Wow SDN lit up this thread. All I was lookin for was “yeah those are doable for a DO. Here’s a resource for you to look at to see how you can attain your goal of getting into one of those specialties.” Y’all salty AF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow SDN lit up this thread. All I was lookin for was “yeah those are doable for a DO. Here’s a resource for you to look at to see how you can attain your goal of getting into one of those specialties.” Y’all salty AF.

"Yeah those are doable for a DO. (www.google.com) here is a resource for you to look at to see how you can attain your goal of getting into one of those specialties."

Seriously though, heme/onc will be the most difficult to attain with EM as a close second, as of now. Keep in mind this is almost half a decade from when you will be applying, so who knows.

The short answer is "do well in class, shadow if you want/have time and do well on boards. Then see how third year goes and plan fourth year accordingly, depending on your ideal specialty."

Do you know what it means to read numerous sentences and to come to a conclusion? You literally ignored his other statements (which were implied questions) and just focused on one, which was debunked by literally multiple other sentences/ his post in entirety.

I suggest you work on this before you study for boards or uworld is going to eat you alive.
Thanks for the advice, big guy

But you care enough to post that you don’t care...lol

That's not what I had originally written, but decided that you couldn't handle what I had put and decided I didn't care enough to leave it up. I can put that back up if you like.

Reactions: 2 users
do it, sweep the leg
upload_2018-10-28_19-35-53.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
SDN: where you come for a conversation that almost always turns into a fight :laugh:

I feel like I need to get in on this before the thread is locked forever. But I got nothing to add.

On second thought... No, just not worth it. Hope this school isn't NYITCOM - AR or a brand new branch campus (someone is indeed fortunate and gaining, but it might not be you). Good luck buddy!

OP, Apply Caribbean and go there instead. that should get you what you want

"You do not study to pass the test. You study to prepare for the day when you are the only thing between your patient and the grave." -Mark Reid

"You study to pass the test"

LetsRun, OMS-II

do it, sweep the leg
It's kind of sad that the first thought that entered my mind when I read this was sweeping the leg when testing adduction of the hip. What have you done to me, OS....

IM and Anesthesia are very attainable. You can go Pulm/CC from either of those options. PM&R and EM also consistently place a lot of DO's as well.
Heme/Onc is a pretty competitive fellowship, and if you are looking at an academic program most applicants are MD/PhD's with sparse DO's with PhD's and MD's.

Neurology is not very competitive, so would definitely be obtainable. However Neuro-surg is the opposite.

Good luck to you! Nothing wrong with having a specialty in mind ahead of the game. That way if you know you want a competitive specialty you know what you have to do from the start.

Lets stop this idea that heme onc is very competitive. Heme Onc is competitivish but is not "very competitive." 34/49 DOs that applied found a spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think someone needs to do a study comparing whether SDN or grumpy old scrub nurses are more harsh :laugh:

Welcome to medical school - chase your dreams and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise; then, be smart and have a plan B for yourself.

Reactions: 7 users
Lets stop this idea that heme onc is very competitive. Heme Onc is competitivish but is not "very competitive." 34/45 DOs that applied found a spot.
Where do you find these stats?

Edit: I'm not disagreeing. I just want to know where to look for things like this.

I’m kinda done spoon feeding people resources. If someone cares enough they will find the info themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Lets stop this idea that heme onc is very competitive. Heme Onc is competitivish but is not "very competitive." 34/49 DOs that applied found a spot.

AnatomyGrey if you were referring to my post I said it was "pretty competitive" not "very competitive". I had looked into a few academic centers in my general area and I only saw 1 or 2 DO's with PhD's and stopped looking into it. Thanks for the info, the 34/49 isn't too shabby, and I had already kinda written off heme/onc as a possibility if something ever tears me away from EM. Unlikely, but I occasionally entertain the thought.

I think someone needs to do a study comparing whether SDN or grumpy old scrub nurses are more harsh :laugh:

Welcome to medical school - chase your dreams and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise; then, be smart and have a plan B for yourself.

Grumpy old nurses 100%. If you think scrub nurses are rough, hang out with some grumpy old ER nurses. I am getting out while there is still hope for me...

Grumpy old nurses 100%. If you think scrub nurses are rough, hang out with some grumpy old ER nurses. I am getting out while there is still hope for me...

Politely disagree. Even the most insufferable burnt out ER nurse is Mr. Rogers compared to the average older scrub nurse.

Source: worked with both for several years, am the spawn of one burnt out ER nurse and the spouse of another.

Politely disagree. Even the most insufferable burnt out ER nurse is Mr. Rogers compared to the average older scrub nurse.

Source: worked with both for several years, am the spawn of one burnt out ER nurse and the spouse of another.

Interesting, I have worked with both and definitely have found older ER nurses to be more harsh in my experience.
Being an ER nurse these days can burn one out fast. We lose a lot of ER nurses to PACU/OR and all the ones I know are loving life. At least in the OR your patients have some sort of actually established problem requiring intervention. I expect this will only get worse as ER abuse continues.

Source: Myself, an ER nurse.

Interesting, I have worked with both and definitely have found older ER nurses to be more harsh in my experience.
Being an ER nurse these days can burn one out fast. We lose a lot of ER nurses to PACU/OR and all the ones I know are loving life. At least in the OR your patients have some sort of actually established problem requiring intervention. I expect this will only get worse as ER abuse continues.

Source: Myself, an ER nurse.
Disagree. A cranky OR nurse is the worse. That ER nurse doesn't magically get better in the OR, they get worse. Nothing like leaving cranky people to themselves to make them even more miserable and entitled. And I was a PACU nurse who also worked in floor and ER. I am very glad to have left it behind.

Disagree. A cranky OR nurse is the worse. That ER nurse doesn't magically get better in the OR, they get worse. Nothing like leaving cranky people to themselves to make them even more miserable and entitled. And I was a PACU nurse who also worked in floor and ER. I am very glad to have left it behind.

Definitely agree on the leaving the miserable folks to themselves. After the past few months leading up to school I have became even more eager to be done with nursing. I am sure all types of units have their bad seeds, it just seems like at my hospital they all work in the ER. I love being in the ER but sometimes the people I work with suck the life out of me. I know this may not change as a physician, but at least it will be a different aspect of care.

Definitely agree on the leaving the miserable folks to themselves. After the past few months leading up to school I have became even more eager to be done with nursing. I am sure all types of units have their bad seeds, it just seems like at my hospital they all work in the ER. I love being in the ER but sometimes the people I work with suck the life out of me. I know this may not change as a physician, but at least it will be a different aspect of care.
That’s just how any job feels before you start med school. You could have given me any job before school started and it would have felt so draining and pointless knowing that’s soon coming to an end.

That’s just how any job feels before you start med school. You could have given me any job before school started and it would have felt so draining and pointless knowing that’s soon coming to an end.

I wish that was the case for me, but I am still working in med school (with significantly reduced hours). But at least I can see a distant light at the end of the tunnel!

I wish that was the case for me, but I am still working in med school (with significantly reduced hours). But at least I can see a distant light at the end of the tunnel!

I see that you’re an RN. I am too. I worked PRN throughout M1 (4-8 shifts a month, more on breaks), but I haven’t worked any shifts since M2 started.

I see that you’re an RN. I am too. I worked PRN throughout M1 (4-8 shifts a month, more on breaks), but I haven’t worked any shifts since M2 started.

I haven’t picked up many shifts in the ER since school began. I do however see 4 patients a week for IV infusions (~10 hours/a week, so 2-3 hours a few afternoons per week). I miss being in the ER but it is hard to convince myself to pick up a shift when there is studying/catching up on sleep/maintaining sanity. Thankfully my IV job is very flexible, super easy, and pays better.

I haven’t picked up many shifts in the ER since school began. I do however see 4 patients a week for IV infusions (~10 hours/a week, so 2-3 hours a few afternoons per week). I miss being in the ER but it is hard to convince myself to pick up a shift when there is studying/catching up on sleep/maintaining sanity. Thankfully my IV job is very flexible, super easy, and pays better.

Awesome! Glad you found something that works out so well.