International - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted869839

Hi guys,

I am an international student and was wondering if you guys could let me know what my chances are. I am planning on applying broadly, around 20 schools. I know my MCAT score isn't great but I think that's the best I can do.

Majors: Biochemistry and Neuroscience
GPA: 3.87
MCAT: 510, got 90+ percentiles in sciences. English broke my heart as always.
Clinical Volunteering: 250 hours
Shadowing: 2 doctors, neurologist, and family practitioner
Research: Neuroscience research for 2 years. One poster and a potential paper by the end of summer, although not in the first few authors

I do have dream schools but at this point, I will gladly go to any school that accepts me.

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Not an international student here but I have worked with several ones. From their words, you need to be a superstar in the admission game. I think your GPA is fine, but the MCAT total is on the low end (Good enough for U.S. applicants though). Do you have any non-clinical volunteering? If not, you need those too.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, and good luck!

Hello,
Not an international student here but I have worked with several ones. From their words, you need to be a superstar in the admission game. I think your GPA is fine, but the MCAT total is on the low end (Good enough for U.S. applicants though). Do you have any non-clinical volunteering? If not, you need those too.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, and good luck!
Yeah, I do have non-clinical volunteering. It's around 75 hours and did not know it played a big role in admissions.

I'll probably just apply to low-tier schools who accept internationals. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For an international applicant, your MCAT puts you on shaky grounds. And applying to 20 schools is pretty much the minimum for an international student who hopes to have a serious chance of getting in. If you want to "apply broadly", aim for 30+ schools. I'd recommend applying early and broadly (30+ well-suited schools) to see how you do. If you don't get in, consider redoing your MCAT to aim for 515+.

For an international applicant, your MCAT puts you on shaky grounds. And applying to 20 schools is pretty much the minimum for an international student who hopes to have a serious chance of getting in. If you want to "apply broadly", aim for 30+ schools. I'd recommend applying early and broadly (30+ well-suited schools) to see how you do. If you don't get in, consider redoing your MCAT to aim for 515+.

Yes, I am planning on applying to around 25 schools.

Thanks for the input.