Interview Invites 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
15 more days... :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, of the residents that eventually match, where do they usually fall on the program's rank list? Or is it a wash?
We usually take 4 PGY1's. Last year our top 4 matched. Other years, all have been in the top 10, but I do know that they have taken some candidates that were much lower before. We haven't ever scrambled.

Does anyone know someone who successfully completed the couples match last year? I have my concerns that the couples match wont run smoothly.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about ranking only 1 program? I really like my #1 choice, but I'm worried that I might regret it if I end up with my #2 or #3 choice. Any thoughts or advice?

What do you guys think about ranking only 1 program? I really like my #1 choice, but I'm worried that I might regret it if I end up with my #2 or #3 choice. Any thoughts or advice?

If you prefer unemployment over #2 or #3, don't rank them.

Reactions: 4 users
Man, some of the questions that get asked in here get a bit ridiculous...

Reactions: 2 users
13 days. Might have a couple of beers to help pass the time.

Reactions: 3 users
If a residency director tells you that you would be a great match at their site... Do you think he just said that to be nice or did he really mean that??? Haha just hopeful....

If a residency director tells you that you would be a great match at their site... Do you think he just said that to be nice or did he really mean that??? Haha just hopeful....
i think that means they ranked you on their ranking list.
whether it is high or low, can't really tell.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh gosh 9 more days!!! someone just kill me now!!! I want it over with already!!!!. Its all I think about. But the truth is match or not, it's a miracle I even got 2 interviews. 3.0, no leadership, no research, interviews went ok. I bet I will match, I've always been the underdog.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually really glad I'm on ID this month. I have barely even thought about next Friday it's so busy.

How many of you requested the match day off?
No matter it is good news or bad, it is good to have that Friday off!

How many of you requested the match day off?
No matter it is good news or bad, it is good to have that Friday off!

I had to take 1 week off for interviews so I feel like I can't open my mouth to say the phrase "day off". I'll just suck it up I guess, but I think my preceptors will understand if I look like my life is doomed for that 8-hour shift. I warned them :angelic:

I was on spring break the day of match for PGY1. I decided to go to Vegas to do something fun. I'm glad I did cause it sucked not matching. I took the day off for my PGY2 match. I got good news and wanted to share with everyone.

If you can, take that day off! :p

So as we get closer to when rankings are due... what is the consensus on sending a follow-up thank you to a program and telling them that they are your top choice? I've heard conflicting takes on whether this helps or hurts.

Programs are not allowed to give any indication one way or another about ranking applicants. That is a direct violation of the match. In my 20 years of graduate medical education, my programs have always enjoyed receiving emails stating that our program was their #1 choice. It might aid the programs in moving you up or down on their rank list based on how they felt about you (which you never know). There is always the debate about whether the emails are sincere and that's a judgment call by the program. Schools often give poor advice and a lot of them give no advice about interviews. I've also heard that students are told to not take their Step 2 until after interviews. Most competitive specialties won't rank you unless you have Step 2.

Programs are not allowed to give any indication one way or another about ranking applicants. That is a direct violation of the match. In my 20 years of graduate medical education, my programs have always enjoyed receiving emails stating that our program was their #1 choice. It might aid the programs in moving you up or down on their rank list based on how they felt about you (which you never know). There is always the debate about whether the emails are sincere and that's a judgment call by the program. Schools often give poor advice and a lot of them give no advice about interviews. I've also heard that students are told to not take their Step 2 until after interviews. Most competitive specialties won't rank you unless you have Step 2.
when i researched residency follow up email information, it seems that medical students are encouraged to send emails saying "you are my # 1 choice", "I will rank you very high" to programs. However, this is never encouraged to pharmacy students.
I did see one particular pharmacy residency (Seattle area) website Q&A sessions, which told applicants to let them know if we "really" want to go there. They want residents who truly wanna be there vs just match there.

Hoping you guys could post ur stats on match day ! It'll be great to know where we stand (for those applying next year) :)

less than a week. y'all freaking out yet?????? I am little excited to see who we get - I have a few dark horse favorites for my program that I was much more excited about than other preceptors.

This is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by Step 2? Are you saying that programs won't rank you without thank you notes? And that furthermore, are you recommending that applicants send out thank you notes prior to interviewing?

Sorry. I'm really confused....

This is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by Step 2? Are you saying that programs won't rank you without thank you notes? And that furthermore, are you recommending that applicants send out thank you notes prior to interviewing?

Sorry. I'm really confused....

I think that poster posted in the wrong forum. Step 2 is something that med students do and doesn't apply to pharm students.

less than a week. y'all freaking out yet?????? I am little excited to see who we get - I have a few dark horse favorites for my program that I was much more excited about than other preceptors.
GAWD help me!!!!

Just checked and I received the email at 8:48 am EST.
lol, I swear someone is gonna be on here at 8:49 freaking out.

anyone know what time we find out?
I know some people heard as early as 730 am est last year, and the emails also come in waves, so someone you know might hear but you haven't. what an incredibly horrible thing to do.

I know some people heard as early as 730 am est last year, and the emails also come in waves, so someone you know might hear but you haven't. what an incredibly horrible thing to do.
My friend mentioned that it appears to go alphabetically by last name. That may explain the waves. I guess we will see on Friday.

My friend mentioned that it appears to go alphabetically by last name. That may explain the waves. I guess we will see on Friday.
What a wonderful time to have a last name that falls in the last few letters of the alphabet :dead:
Maybe they'll go backwards this year?? ;)

Some people told me that they send the no match emails first and then the matched, so usually the emails sent as early as 6am are bad news...has anyone heard this? I just hope i don't have emails when I wake up tomorrow...

Some people told me that they send the no match emails first and then the matched, so usually the emails sent as early as 6am are bad news...has anyone heard this? I just hope i don't have emails when I wake up tomorrow...

They come out at the same time. I have matched and not matched before. I got my emails around the same time (8:30-9 am EST).

I think that I am going to take all my students' phones away and give a lecture until noon... :poke:

How are all of ya'll going to pass the last hours before doomsday?

Mostly drinking until I blackout. At least I have the comfort of a full-time job to ease the pain if I don't match tomorrow.

Mostly drinking until I blackout. At least I have the comfort of a full-time job to ease the pain if I don't match tomorrow.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Frost

Lots of opportunities out there. Many of them far better than a run of the mill residency. Best of luck regardless, though!

I was mean last year, I made my student work the overnight shift the night before the match - she debated all month whether she should stay up and check her email or just go to bed and wake up to find out (but not sleeping) lol

uh oh..i have an email called match results.. it seems early. the alphabetical theory probably can be ruled out. if r
non matched are first...i need a shot before i open this email fml