Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATTACA CTAATGT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this question on the interview workshop thread and would like to hear your response.

You are counseling a patient on the proper use of his medication when your technician informs you that Dr. Jones is on the phone and wants to talk you now. How would you handle this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ask the tech to kindly put Dr. Jones on hold and finish counseling the patient.

I would ask Dr. Jones to hold. If he/she doesn’t want to hold, they could always call another pharmacy (I’d probably give a technician the approximate wait time & suggestion to call another pharmacy – if Dr. Jones isn’t willing to wait).

good? bad? naive? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
You tell Dr. Jones to hold, if he can't hold, you get his number and call him back as soon as you're free. If you put the patient on hold you might as well just end the consultation right there...big mistake.

I found this question on the interview workshop thread and would like to hear your response.

You are counseling a patient on the proper use of his medication when your technician informs you that Dr. Jones is on the phone and wants to talk you now. How would you handle this situation?

Mostly likely it's not Dr. Jones, it's one of his/her receptionists calling something in.

If it is the doctor: If importance of call> Dr's ego, then the Dr. will wait. If importance of call<Dr's ego, then you don't really have anything to worry about.

And many doctors don't have as large an ego as you think.

You tell Dr. Jones to hold, if he can't hold, you get his number and call him back as soon as you're free. If you put the patient on hold you might as well just end the consultation right there...big mistake.

I like FresnoPharmD's answer. First, politely ask the doctor if he or she is willing to hold while the pharmacist is giving a consultation. If the doctor doesn't want to hold, I would ask if we can have the doctor's telephone number and have the pharmacist call the doctor back after the consultation. (Sometimes I do the same for copy/transfers from other pharmacies)

There are many other options as well:

1) Ask the prescriber or the assistant to fax over a prescription (make sure they are not requesting a controlled scheduled II medication. All CII drugs must be written on a security form. The original copy must be present at the point of sale).

2) The Prescriber can Leave a voice message.

3) Have an Intern take the new prescription (If an intern is available)

4) Send prescriptions electronically (This is rare at where I work, but is becoming more common at other pharmacy settings)

Last edited:
Depending on how experienced the technician is, I would either have the technician take new prescription or put Dr. Jones on hold. Your patient is right there in front of you, therefore has higher priority than the person on the phone.

There are times at my pharmacy where we keep people on hold for 3+ minutes until all the people at the pharmacy are taken care of.

This question shouldn't boggle anyone. Like everyone has said before you ask the doctor to hold. If he doesn't want to then you forward him to the automated system to leave a voicemail or do it the old fashion way and take a name and number down. Problem solved.

I remember this actually happened to me before. I put him on hold and when the pharmacist came back he hung up (actually the receptionist). Later he personally called back and yelled at the pharmacist and said he didn't have time for these games and if she ever put him or anyone from his office on hold again he would make sure none of his patients came to our pharmacy. ego trip.

I would tell Dr. Jones to pleas hold as I like to finish what I begin. I guess in reality though it would depend on the magnitude of both respective situations.

I remember this actually happened to me before. I put him on hold and when the pharmacist came back he hung up (actually the receptionist). Later he personally called back and yelled at the pharmacist and said he didn't have time for these games and if she ever put him or anyone from his office on hold again he would make sure none of his patients came to our pharmacy. ego trip.

damn. what a fool! if i was the pharmacist, i would give that doctor a lecture about job & patient priorities...just to contain the ego in a bottle. However, techs should take down some contact information (in case) as the pharmacist wraps up his/her consultation. i think this doctor probably wanted to know when his turn will come & was anticipating something quickly. could be the case...i dunno

I would call the state board on that doctor. That is extremely unprofessional on the doctor's part and he knows that he can't blow up on anyone for being put on hold regardless of the length of time. He should have learned that in school.

The only people you are allowed to blow up on for hold times are insurance companies.

haha, i dont' mind holding if the problem is being fixed. It's when i get the runaround that i start getting pissed.

"here, call this number 1-800xxxx
:"i was just there, they transferred me to you
"yea call them back
:"...

or he could just leave a voicemail.

haha, i dont' mind holding if the problem is being fixed. It's when i get the runaround that i start getting pissed.

"here, call this number 1-800xxxx
:"i was just there, they transferred me to you
"yea call them back
:"...

I don't even use the automated systems when I call, I just smash the 0 button until I get connected to an operator.