Interview Questions NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have a NYCOM interview sometime this month, I was wondering what kind of questions are asked on an interview? There seems to be no thread on this board covering this. I am curious so that I prep the best. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

go check out the interview feedback site ...you should get some great info from that!
Good luck and congrats on getting an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning all,

I have a NYCOM interview sometime this month, I was wondering what kind of questions are asked on an interview? There seems to be no thread on this board covering this. I am curious so that I prep the best. Thanks all.

When is your interview? I am scheduled for 11/30.:luck:

DoctorMom78,
I'm scheduled on the 30th as well. See you there!

yah i think i heard from somewhere that nycom favors instates.. .even though i dunno why since the tuition is the same. im ny too and i have an interview tomorrow. anyone going tomorrow??

I'm in NY as well and I'm going Nov. 16. But just check interview feedback. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just start interviews? Is November the first month of interiews?

Does anyone have any idea at what time in the month the comittee meets? I could potentially save alot of money if its the end of every month.

they haven't started interviews yet. tomorrow's the first day.

Members don't see this ad :)
they haven't started interviews yet. tomorrow's the first day.

Then they definitely have a preference for New Yorkers. I was offered the 11/14 or 11/15 or sometime around then but took the 11/30 because I am not sure if I am going. My numbers are definitely not that great and I actually have a c- in my physics 2 class which doesn't count as a prereq for them. They emailed me before I got the invitation and asked me if I was retaking it. I told them I could and they sent my invitation. I am sure that there are plenty of people with much better stats than me that applied, so they must like NY residents. But, I am sure that everyone else's day will come. Good luck everybody!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I meant based on previous years, does the comittee tend to meet at the end of the month? Reason I ask is that my interview is the 28th, and I dont want to waste money going to the westcoast if I dont have to for itnerviews there.

Hey everyone!
I have an interview at NYCOM on the 16th. I'm uber excited as I'm a New Yorker and would absolutely loathe having to leave home : (

One question though, since my interview is the 16th, when do you think I'll know the answer?

With that said, I'm virtually wishing everyone luck on their interviews and with this entire process :) !!

anyone know roughly how many students NYCOM interviews and how many of those they accept? With regards to the waitlist, can someone explain to me how that works? Is priority based on interview date, credentials? Thanks!

DRKUBA the answer might be yet to come. Probably 70 percent of the applicants are in-staters... it might have just-so-happened that all in-staters were contacted for the first round and or that most were and this small subset of the population called SDN only is currently representing the in-stater invitees...then again, that's wishful thinking on my part :)

In Stater here and nothing from NYCOM yet :(

i think saw some of you interviewees on campus today!! (im a masters student there) well i saw overdressed people (for class that is) with rolling luggage!! good luck, i'm still waiting for my invite, but i'm a jersey girl....

i think saw some of you interviewees on campus today!! (im a masters student there) well i saw overdressed people (for class that is) with rolling luggage!! good luck, i'm still waiting for my invite, but i'm a jersey girl....

I saw some interviewees heading to the library. Funny, how it was only a year ago I was in those shoes. right now I feel like I've been going to med school forever and interviews were a lifetime ago.

:luck:

I'm interviewing tomorrow... Going to figure out the LIRR situation now! Any advice on Westbury vs Greenvale stops??

I'm interviewing tomorrow... Going to figure out the LIRR situation now! Any advice on Westbury vs Greenvale stops??

I don't have a car so I use the LIRR at least a couple of times/week. By taxi, the Greenvale train station is about 5 minutes from campus and the westbury station is about 20 minutes from campus. The Roslyn Taxi company charges $21 for NYCOM to Westbury train station and I think $11 for Greenvale. Roslyn Taxi's phone number is (516) 621-1111. Try to call 1 hour in advance to make a reservation. I use the Roslyn Taxi service for either station. When catching your train back add 20 minutes to the driving time since sometimes the taxis are 5-10 minutes late and traffic in LI sux.

There is a taxi service in Westbury that I used a few times but the dispatcher is rude and they charge about the same I think.

My suggestion is the Greenvale station. Check the LIRR schedule since the trains run about every 30-1hour sometimes with a 2 hour break in the schedule.

LIRR fare from NYC to Greenvale is about $6.50 each way if you purchase the ticket before boarding.

If you take the LIRR from NYC you will have to transfer in Jamaica queens going to either station.

http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Last year we were not really able to predict the exact time/order of interviews so maybe you need to bring that up when you check-in at the admissions office. Last year I ran into a nice group at my interview and since there was no rush to get home, we waited for each other to finish interviews and shared a cab to take LIRR.

I don't have a car so I use the LIRR at least a couple of times/week. By taxi, the Greenvale train station is about 5 minutes from campus and the westbury station is about 20 minutes from campus. The Roslyn Taxi company charges $21 for NYCOM to Westbury train station and I think $11 for Greenvale. Roslyn Taxi's phone number is (516) 621-1111. Try to call 1 hour in advance to make a reservation. I use the Roslyn Taxi service for either station. When catching your train back add 20 minutes to the driving time since sometimes the taxis are 5-10 minutes late and traffic in LI sux.

There is a taxi service in Westbury that I used a few times but the dispatcher is rude and they charge about the same I think.

My suggestion is the Greenvale station. Check the LIRR schedule since the trains run about every 30-1hour sometimes with a 2 hour break in the schedule.

LIRR fare from NYC to Greenvale is about $6.50 each way if you purchase the ticket before boarding.

If you take the LIRR from NYC you will have to transfer in Jamaica queens going to either station.

http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Last year we were not really able to predict the exact time/order of interviews so maybe you need to bring that up when you check-in at the admissions office. Last year I ran into a nice group at my interview and since there was no rush to get home, we waited for each other to finish interviews and shared a cab to take LIRR.
Thank you so much for all the help!!! I'll figure out that schedule right away.

hey, that was me you guys saw, i had my interview yesterday! LOVED the school, and am praying to g-d i got in!! i'm so worried, i talked waaay to much in my interview, i do that when i get nervous! hope it went ok!

i'm sure it went well lainey! how were the questions? (did u post in the invterview feedback?) any idea when you'll get a decision?

anyone know roughly how many students NYCOM interviews and how many of those they accept? With regards to the waitlist, can someone explain to me how that works? Is priority based on interview date, credentials? Thanks!

I'm pretty much the NYCOM waitlist guru. I was to my knowledge the first person added to the list (January 26th, 2006 Interview date) and the first taken off (Acceptence letter dated June 2nd, 2006). NYCOM does NOT like to tell you what is going on with their admissions process/waitlist but here is what I gathered last year. In years past, there has been one waitlist. I was told by NYCOM that for the class of 2009 no one was taken off of the waitlist. For the class of 2008 around 30 were taken off. For my class, 2010, I do not have a number for you, but with just speaking to people I would say that it was more than 30 who were granted admissions from the waitlist. If you're really interested in this, I made a few threads in this forum about NYCOM's waitlist from 2010. If you do a search you should find it, the last post in there was probably around June of 2006. If any of you are waitlisted, the best advice I have for you is to show persistent interest in NYCOM in the form of letters...hand delivered to the Director of Admissions is best if its feasible.

As for interviews and chances of getting accepted, I think it is fair to say that if you are granted an interview this early in the game your chances are VERY VERY good that you will be accepted. Of course you can't tell if people that interviewed got accepted or rejected unless you know them or they post on here, but from speaking to class members the general consensus is that if you are granted an interview in the begining you're golden. I checked SDN every 12 minutes last year for news on NYCOM and I did not here of a single reject from November-February. This doesn't mean that they didn't reject anyone from the early interviews, just that I haven't heard of any. Most of the people I interviewed with are members of the class of 2010. Good luck and relax, NYCOM's a great school and I should be seeing most of you on your tours! ~Jason

(We have a test coming up in a week so I won't be on here so if I don't respond to your questions sorry!!)

my understanding was that a large percentage of applicants are from NY/NJ area and there is no preference.
I think HG is right on with this one. Actually almost all my friends at school (including myself) are from Jersey.

I'm pretty much the NYCOM waitlist guru. I was to my knowledge the first person added to the list (January 26th, 2006 Interview date) and the first taken off (Acceptence letter dated June 2nd, 2006). NYCOM does NOT like to tell you what is going on with their admissions process/waitlist but here is what I gathered last year. In years past, there has been one waitlist. I was told by NYCOM that for the class of 2009 no one was taken off of the waitlist. For the class of 2008 around 30 were taken off. For my class, 2010, I do not have a number for you, but with just speaking to people I would say that it was more than 30 who were granted admissions from the waitlist. If you're really interested in this, I made a few threads in this forum about NYCOM's waitlist from 2010. If you do a search you should find it, the last post in there was probably around June of 2006. If any of you are waitlisted, the best advice I have for you is to show persistent interest in NYCOM in the form of letters...hand delivered to the Director of Admissions is best if its feasible.

As for interviews and chances of getting accepted, I think it is fair to say that if you are granted an interview this early in the game your chances are VERY VERY good that you will be accepted. Of course you can't tell if people that interviewed got accepted or rejected unless you know them or they post on here, but from speaking to class members the general consensus is that if you are granted an interview in the begining you're golden. I checked SDN every 12 minutes last year for news on NYCOM and I did not here of a single reject from November-February. This doesn't mean that they didn't reject anyone from the early interviews, just that I haven't heard of any. Most of the people I interviewed with are members of the class of 2010. Good luck and relax, NYCOM's a great school and I should be seeing most of you on your tours! ~Jason

(We have a test coming up in a week so I won't be on here so if I don't respond to your questions sorry!!)

that's reassuring, thank you, i needed to hear something positive!....i'm so nervous, i just wish they'd tell me already! this is my absolute top choice. I hope i see you next year!

I think HG is right on with this one. Actually almost all my friends at school (including myself) are from Jersey.

yeah jersey :) plastic-when did you get an invite? august or april MCAT?

yeah jersey :) plastic-when did you get an invite? august or april MCAT?

They got my primary in early November I think? Received invite for interview in January. NYCOM does not have you send LOR before you get an interview. They base offering and interview to you solely on your primary application. You send them LOR after you get invited. Also, the secondary, you bring completed to your interview. August MCAT.

I'm interviewing at the end of this month and a while back I got a letter from NYCOM saying that they received my primary and that I should mail my LOR's to them.

Hey guys,
I got confirmation that they won't be looking at out-of-staters until January (and that's exactly how it was put to me verbatim)...
And to those who say there is no in-state preference, well, all I know is, when I call them up, and they need to refer to my file, they actually ask me if I'm in-state-- cuz we're in a separate pile. Still not sure what the reasoning is, but whatevas. Maybe they make exceptions for Jersey.

Hey guys,
I got confirmation that they won't be looking at out-of-staters until January (and that's exactly how it was put to me verbatim)...
And to those who say there is no in-state preference, well, all I know is, when I call them up, and they need to refer to my file, they actually ask me if I'm in-state-- cuz we're in a separate pile. Still not sure what the reasoning is, but whatevas. Maybe they make exceptions for Jersey.

WOW!!! That is crazy!:confused:I guess that is our reward for paying all these outrageous NY taxes all these years. Sorry everybody who is out of state. January isn't that far away though. Good luck to you all!

This thread is very reassuring, since NYCOM is my top choice.
Thanks for all the info.