Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryce4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread on interview tips for student having interviews coming up. Mine is in Jan. and I need all the advice I can get.
Anyone care for inputs ?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend reading the interview feedbacks on this website. Students post potential interview questions here. It's really helpful knowing what schools might potentially ask you at your interviews.

Almost all the pharmacy schools are listed here. This brings up my next concern:

Anyone know how to add a new pharmacy school entry to the interview feedback?? Do the mods perform this duty?

I'm so nervous thinking about the interview. I know what I want to say but the problem is actually saying it . I tend to stutter and talk to fast when I get nverous, not to mention i lose my training of thoughts. I think I have severe anxiety

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so nervous thinking about the interview. I know what I want to say but the problem is actually saying it . I tend to stutter and talk to fast when I get nverous, not to mention i lose my training of thoughts. I think I have severe anxiety

I'm currently practicing my interview skills too. I know exactly how you feel. I get really nervous when I perform a mock interview in front of people. The trick is to write down a few key points and say them naturally. Avoid trying to recite exact words and keep it brief and to the point. And give a lot of examples...

hope that helps...

Practice your interview. Sit in a chair in front of a mirror when you do so.

Anyone know how to add a new pharmacy school entry to the interview feedback?? Do the mods perform this duty?
Do you mean adding interview feedback for an unlisted school? If so, I imagine it's up to the mods to add the school first.

Do you mean adding interview feedback for an unlisted school? If so, I imagine it's up to the mods to add the school first.

Yes, I mean adding interview feedbacks for an unlisted school.

I was looking for interview feedbacks for Union but it wasn't listed so I'm gonna go into my interview ready for any type of questions.

I can totally relate to you. I practiced a lot before the interview. However, I got very nervous during the interview and couldn't organize my thoughts.

Anyone knows how to overcome nervousness? I knew that I should calm down and speak slowly, but I was unable to do so during the interview. The group setting intimidated me. I couldn't get over the anxiety of anticipating for my turn to speak.

I can totally relate to you. I practiced a lot before the interview. However, I got very nervous during the interview and couldn't organize my thoughts.

Anyone knows how to overcome nervousness? I knew that I should calm down and speak slowly, but I was unable to do so during the interview. The group setting intimidated me. I couldn't get over the anxiety of anticipating for my turn to speak.

I heard this a lot, thought it was stupid, but seriously...sit in a chair in front of a mirror and practice answering questions. See your facial expressions, your posture, etc...Practice.

Take several deep breathes during your interview and try to relax.

I hope I can take my own advice at my own interview. we'll see what happens...

Yeah , I have that problem with organizing my thoughts. I know what I want to say when I practice but when I get in front of people , I go blank and lose my training of thoughts. :eek:

I get really, really nervous right before the interview. My heart starts beating really fast, and my palms go cold.
But then once I get into the interview room, it all goes away. I think you just have to try to relax, try not to think about messing up or saying the wrong thing, and breathe.
And if it doesn't work..ask your doctor for a prescription for Xanax :)

I get really, really nervous right before the interview. My heart starts beating really fast, and my palms go cold.
But then once I get into the interview room, it all goes away. I think you just have to try to relax, try not to think about messing up or saying the wrong thing, and breathe.

Xanax would be a bad choice for interviews. It tend to make you sleepy and give you the 'I dont care attitude' . In addition you'll have a hard time concentrating so it'll be kinda hard to come up with answers when ur thinking ability is inhibit. Its smiliar to trying to studying when you been drinking alcohol :laugh:

A beta blocker would be a better choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Xanax would be a bad choice for interviews. It tend to make you sleepy and give you the 'I dont care attitude' . In addition you'll have a hard time concentrating so it'll be kinda hard to come up with answers when ur thinking ability is inhibit. Its smiliar to trying to studying when you been drinking alcohol :laugh:

A beta blocker would be a better choice.

lol
Right you are. I've heard propranolol works wonders.

lol
Right you are. I've heard propranolol works wonders.
Yeah propranolol would be good, it is prescribe for stage fright. I'm not sure how it would affect your thinking ability though. I dont think it cross the blood brain barrier. Any one ?

Whatever you do, don't bring a parent or signficant other with you on the interview. I think it's so unprofessional.

It's really shocking. Some applicants actually have their parents and boyfriend/girlfriend accompany them during interview day. It's even worse when the parent/signficant other try to speak on their behalf. On my last interview, I was so suprised to find several applicants bring their mother or signficant other along.

I was so embarrassed for them. I hope they don't expect their parent/significant other to also hold their hand when they start dispensing medications as professional clinicians.

Whatever you do, don't bring a parent or signficant other with you on the interview. I think it's so unprofessional.

It's really shocking. Some applicants actually have their parents and boyfriend/girlfriend accompany them during interview day. It's even worse when the parent/signficant other try to speak on their behalf. On my last interview, I was so suprised to find several applicants bring their mother or signficant other along.

I was so embarrassed for them. I hope they don't expect their parent/significant other to also hold their hand when they start dispensing medications as professional clinicians.

Seriously ? They parents/ signif other was in the same room when the interview was being conducted ?:laugh::laugh:

Haha WHAT!? I could understand (well, kinda' understand) if they waited out in the car for them or back at the hotel for them but they actually sat there with them in the interview? YIIIKES.

"Hey honey I'm so glad I could help you out in that interview. Those other applicants must have been so lost answering questions about themselves...by themself. Oh, you're done going potty, I'll wipe you now. Ohhhh that's smelly, what did you eat? Oh really? I made that? Last night? Well I apologize."

Last edited:
its normal to be anxious and nervous, just be honest and truthful, they can see through you if you are not...but also be prepared

At the school I am interviewing at in Jan., one of the questions might be "what was the last book you read?" I don't like reading much so should I be honest and just say that or should I start reading a book now so I have something to say? Does anyone know why they would ask this question? The only books I read is when I am studying for tests.

At the school I am interviewing at in Jan., one of the questions might be "what was the last book you read?" I don't like reading much so should I be honest and just say that or should I start reading a book now so I have something to say? Does anyone know why they would ask this question? The only books I read is when I am studying for tests.

The last book that I read? Harry potter and the goblet of fire. about 5 years ago lol

The parents and the significant others stayed in the waiting area with them. They did not sit with them on their actual interview.

But at one point, I introduced myself to one of the other applicants who was accompanied by her overbearing mother. The mother introduced her daughter to me and all the other applicants in the waiting area. And I was really confused at first because I didn't understand why the mother was there. So I thought the mother and daughter were both applying to pharmacy school together. Later, the daughter got really embarrassed and she made her mother wait in the car.

Also, there were the supportive boyfriend types who accompanied their girlfriends to their interviews. That was really weird because some of their boyfriends acted really creepy. They didn't say a word throughout the entire time and just followed them around. One of them also did not look appropriate because they were wearing ripped jeans and a billabong tshirt in front of the school's dean and faculty!

oddly enough, now that you mention it, I did notice some family members at my last interview! I was kind of surprised... they sat outside the room the whole time, waiting until their kid was done. I had a family friend drop me off, and then INSISTED on finding the right location with me... sooo embarrassing. I kept saying "No it's fine, I can find it." But he basically felt the need to hold my hand until I was safely in the right area. Considerate, but ugh.. he made me feel like it was my first day of school in a foreign country. :rolleyes:

For my Jefferson interview, I brought my cousin along so the whole driving/parking situation would be easier and so he can go look around Jefferson, maybe go to the hospital since he wants to go to medical school.

Unfortunately, he's more of a petrolhead than I am. So I got out of the car, walked 20 feet, remembered I forgot my portfolio in the car, so I turn around and he's already 5 blocks away...my cell phone was in the car, lol.

For Touro, I just drove to the area, parked a couple blocks away, blasted the air conditioning to drop the temperature to 55 degrees(it was 85 outside), drank two lemonade coolatas to bring down my internal body temperature, and took a nap, lol.

For all my interviews, I took a really deep breath, packed some Kleenex in my pockets for sweaty palm syndrome, and assured myself that I will answer everything honestly and that it will be enough to get in. And it worked.

Yeah propranolol would be good, it is prescribe for stage fright. I'm not sure how it would affect your thinking ability though. I dont think it cross the blood brain barrier. Any one ?

Propranolol does cross the BBB, but its mechanisms are non-sedating and should not affect your performance in an interview.

Propranolol does cross the BBB, but its mechanisms are non-sedating and should not affect your performance in an interview.

I'm prescribed for adderall 20mg a day. I wonder if it'll affect my interview performance if I take it on the day of the interview. Affecting as in I'll be nervous for the interview as it is already and the adderall would make my heart beat quicker . But then again one of the side effect I get from adderall is being talkative , so that might actually be a good thing.

Anyone taken prescribed adderall on the day of their interview and how did it go ?

This is what I do to overcome my nerves on interview day:

1. Don’t drink coffee on interview day.
2. I try to reach out to some of the current students at the school where I’m about to interview by PMing them via SDN. I then try to befriend them and establish communication with them. It allows me to learn more about the academic/student life at the school and gives me something to talk about during the interview.
3. Find out who’s going to interview you ahead of time. For me, I feel less nervous when I know what type of situation I’m getting myself into.
4. I also don’t sleep the 2nd night before interview day so I can sleep peacefully the night before the actual interview day.

oddly enough, now that you mention it, I did notice some family members at my last interview! I was kind of surprised... they sat outside the room the whole time, waiting until their kid was done. I had a family friend drop me off, and then INSISTED on finding the right location with me... sooo embarrassing. I kept saying "No it's fine, I can find it." But he basically felt the need to hold my hand until I was safely in the right area. Considerate, but ugh.. he made me feel like it was my first day of school in a foreign country. :rolleyes:

Well, parents will be parents. I imagine most of them will at least want to see the facilities themselves. After all, it may be where you wil lbe attending for the next 4 years. So, I think it's understandable that parents will want to be there to a certain extent. But, I also agree that it would be a poor reflection for them to accompany you throughout the interview process.

What I would do is have your parent drop you off at the building. They can come in by themselves and look at everything. I think a lot of parents will do that. But they shouldn't try to shadow you while you're there.

--Garfield3d

should i just be myself and making normal conversations during the interview? or should i be quiet and only answer the questions that they ask? Is too friendly or funny a bad thing?

what are they looking for during the interview? your personality, english, knowledge...?

should i just be myself and making normal conversations during the interview? or should i be quiet and only answer the questions that they ask? Is too friendly or funny a bad thing?

what are they looking for during the interview? your personality, english, knowledge...?

Definitely be yourself. They will know if you are trying to be something you're not.

Interviewers want to get to know you as a person and they want to know how you communicate.

Definitely be yourself. They will know if you are trying to be something you're not.

Interviewers want to get to know you as a person and they want to know how you communicate.

that is good then b/c i can make a conversation in a second and i can be very funny and friendly (too much sometime). How about answering the questions? should i just go straight to the main points or try to make the conversation a little longer?

I try to limit my preparation to 3 days prior in order to avoid sounding like I've memorized my answers. Other tips... use hand gestures to appear passionate, lots of eye contact, smile A LOT. I personally don't like to practice in front of a mirror. I tried once and it made me self-conscious about my facial expressions and I lost my train of thought. But that's just me! :p

I think the best way to overcome nervousness is to socialize with the other students before the interview. You get used to talking to strangers and by the time you get to the faculty/ student interview, you just feel like you're meeting another person!

I agree, I think that conversing with some strange people right before the interview would calm my nerves.

1) chambord911 brings up an important point. It helps to talk with several people on your interview day. These include your friends and fellow interviewees. Even a hello and a nice smile to a total stranger goes a long way in increasing your comfort level during the interview. You don't want your first conversation on the day of your interview to be with your interviewers.

2) Start thinking of a moment in your life when you felt warm, appreciative, and grateful. Think about why you felt that way. Was it something you did? Something someone else did for you? Something you experienced that made you feel fortunate? Practice recalling that memory and all the emotions tied to it, and be appreciative of all that you have. Think about that memory more and more as you approach your interview, and just before you walk in to meet your interviewees. It will help you appear (and actually to be) sincere during your interview and beyond...

3) The easiest advice I can give is to stretch. The best way to get rid of built up tension and nervousness is to let it all go by reaching for the sky and stretching your body.

I know it is much easier to dispense advice when you are on the other side. I wish everyone the best of luck and congrats on landing interviews!

If the interviewer is old, it is a good thing to address them as Ma'am and sir right?. what if they still young? I have a habit of being too informal sometime.

If the interviewer is old, it is a good thing to address them as Ma'am and sir right?. what if they still young? I have a habit of being too informal sometime.
If you don't know what you should call your interviewer, ask. That way, you will not unintentionally offend him/her.

I'm a 4th re-applicant and I've had alot of interview experience from my 3 years of rejections.

Here are my tips:
1.) Be talkative. Don't steer of course too much on the question but talk alot.
Don't just answer the question and stop. Try to relate to previous questions if possible. Try to interject your experience and education into the answers if relatable.
2.) Research on the school and have lots of question ready to ask the interviewer. If the interviewer ask you if you have any questions and you just have 1 question or none, it shows your lack of interest in the school.
Don't tell them you will email them with questions. YOu are at the end of the interview and it's time to show them you have interest in the school! Ask them about the program the school or the Dean.
3.) Read the interview feedback on this website. It helped me a lot. I mean read it and have a general idea of how you will answer it. Don't read your answers word for word during the interview. Be natural and let it flow.

I'm pretty sure I have more tips but those are the biggest three.

Being of military background, anyone in a position of authority (professor, Dean, etc) should be addressed as Ma'am or Sir unless they specify otherwise.

As far as interview tips, make eye contact! Address each interviewer as if you are speaking directly to them. Also, don't be afraid to repeat the question back to them - that's what I always do. That way as you are repeating it back to them, you can begin to formulate your answer in your mind. It works wonders.

Haha, the books that I usually read are my bio or chem related textbooks! The last non-science related books I read were the novels back in high school or Freshman English in college. But yes, I do have a book in mind before coming into the interview room. :D

I always get really nervous during the week of the interview, but I am normally calm (minus my very first interview last year) when I enter the interview room. Oh yea, when I mean "really nervous", I mean having an anxiety attack, not being able to sleep the night before the interview, my heart beating faster, close to having a heart attack, etc...

Being of military background, anyone in a position of authority (professor, Dean, etc) should be addressed as Ma'am or Sir unless they specify otherwise.

As far as interview tips, make eye contact! Address each interviewer as if you are speaking directly to them. Also, don't be afraid to repeat the question back to them - that's what I always do. That way as you are repeating it back to them, you can begin to formulate your answer in your mind. It works wonders.

I usually address a professor interviewer by Doctor.

If you get accepted to a school, and have an interview at another school the following week that isn't on a higher priority, do should you go still as a courtesy of accepting an invitation?

Stay confident, don't be afraid of talking too much because they will stop you when they want move on to something else. However, be afraid of talking too little.

At Jefferson, I turned a 30 minute interview into a 10 minute interview. Got rejected there.

At Touro, I turned a 30 minute interview into a 40 minute interview and the Dean's assistant had to come by twice to tell the interviewers to wrap it up soon.