Interviewing in the midwest/east coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jr applicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from So Cal and have an interview soon in Chicago...was just wondering what you go about wearing to the interview when its freezing outside, possibly snowing? A coat over the suit removed when u go inside? Heels? (i dont want to fall on the ice). Any advice would help!

Members don't see this ad.

well im not a female..but i did live in NJ and just got done with the interviews. Basically you should dress nice but they will no way hold it against you if you chose to also be comfortable. Of course you should wear a coat if its cold. also the only place it even matters as to how your dresses is in front of your interviewers. As for heels well i would watch the weather channel or simply call up the school (my schools told me to bring sneakers also b/c of all the walking we will be doing and you do quite a bit at some places. I have found they are always glad to help.

I wore a long charcoal overcoat over my suit. But even if you don't have a more formal looking coat, it doesn't matter because everyone takes them off and hangs them in a coat closet somewhere. Thus no-one notices what you wore outside anyway. Stay comfortable!

Edit: I would also think that it is appropriate to wear more comfortable (and safe!) shoes instead of high heels, but you would get better advice from a female SDNer about this than I.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a female on the east coast I say go with a dress suit. Like you know some nice dress pants that you can wear either wear tights or sheer leggings under. Also with the shoe problem it depends on how you are getting there. In NY what we do is we were our suits with sneakers and when we arrive at our destination we switch into our shoes. Which is excellent especially if you're wearing heels in the cold cause you can wear socks....which you'll probably want to considering how cold the windy city is at this time of year. Well I hope my advice helped and good luck on the interviews.

I just interviewed in Buffalo. I went with my nice warm winter coat (Columbia Ski Jacket) over my dressy wool overcoat b/c Buffalo in January isn't exactly known for it's warm weather. I might not have been the most formally dressed one, but I was definitely the most comfortable... and I don't think they're going to judge you for how you look on the tour walking from building to building and waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick you back up.

Can't really help you with the footwear, but I'd avoid massive heels. They seem to be asking for trouble. Seems like ice storms are pretty abundant lately in the Midwest/East Coast.

I just interviewed in Buffalo. I went with my nice warm winter coat (Columbia Ski Jacket) over my dressy wool overcoat b/c Buffalo in January isn't exactly known for it's warm weather. I might not have been the most formally dressed one, but I was definitely the most comfortable... and I don't think they're going to judge you for how you look on the tour walking from building to building and waiting for the hotel shuttle to pick you back up.

Can't really help you with the footwear, but I'd avoid massive heels. They seem to be asking for trouble. Seems like ice storms are pretty abundant lately in the Midwest/East Coast.

OP, The most important thing is to keep your feet warm and to make sure you arent going to break your neck walking outside. I interviewed in Cleveland and it snowed about 4 inches the night before and the day of my interview. The sidewalks were clear, but it was slushy, so I wouldnt recommend wearing shoes that your feet might get wet in.

Switching from sneakers to heels is fine in the morning, but if you have to go outside for some reason at any point during the interview day, you dont want to have to worry about your shoes. I wear comfortable flats with a pinstripe black pants suit. This keeps my feet warm, dry, and comfortable in all conditions. I would think that dressy boots with a heel would work also well. In terms of heels being comfortable, apparently the insoles that stick to the inside of your shoe are the secret. (There was a girl at one of my interviews wearing what must have been 4 inch stilettos - but she looked great and swore by the insoles)

As soon as you get in in the morning, they will put your bags and coats in the admissions office, so definately bring a warm coat. I wore a long pea coat to keep the professional look consistent, but like Depakote said, I don't think they really care too much about your coat.

Switching from sneakers to heels is fine in the morning, but if you have to go outside for some reason at any point during the interview day, you dont want to have to worry about your shoes. I wear comfortable flats with a pinstripe black pants suit. This keeps my feet warm, dry, and comfortable in all conditions. I would think that dressy boots with a heel would work also well. In terms of heels being comfortable, apparently the insoles that stick to the inside of your shoe are the secret. (There was a girl at one of my interviews wearing what must have been 4 inch stilettos - but she looked great and swore by the insoles)

By the end of my interview cycle I had switched to lower heels (1-2 inch) for the sake of my feet, but they were also better for managing hills and rain. I wore a skirt suit so I couldn't wear flats, but there were many girls wearing pants that did go with flats...but make sure they aren't too casual or clunky. Just be careful with the dressy boots if you're wearing a suit with a skirt, since it's easy to go wrong style-wise (either too casual or too evening...or too business-hooker :)).

Just be careful with the dressy boots if you're wearing a suit with a skirt, since it's easy to go wrong style-wise (either too casual or too evening...or too business-hooker :)).

HAHAHA thats exactly why I bought a new pair of flats (they actually have a 1 inch heel but are flats for all intents and purposes) - my 4-inch stiletto knee-high boots were a little too skanky for business attire...

HAHAHA thats exactly why I bought a new pair of flats (they actually have a 1 inch heel but are flats for all intents and purposes) - my 4-inch stiletto knee-high boots were a little too skanky for business attire...
This thread is useless without pics.

I'm from So Cal and have an interview soon in Chicago...was just wondering what you go about wearing to the interview when its freezing outside, possibly snowing? A coat over the suit removed when u go inside? Heels? (i dont want to fall on the ice). Any advice would help!

I'm from Southern CA too and had a Chicago interview right after the first snowstorm of the season. It was FREEZING (1 degree with wind chill). If you are thinking of wearing a skirt suit, you are crazy. I know it's randomly cold in California right now. But imagine this with high winds. It is not fun.
1) COAT: Make sure you have a long coat. You'll take it off in the admissions office. But if you're interviewing at U of Chicago you will need it for the tour. Most people brought their gloves with them during the tour too.
2) FEET: Also bring thick stockings, even if you're wearing pants. Make sure your shoes will work on slippery ice--maybe some cute boots. I tried to look for some the night before my interview, but they ran out of my size in everything! I had on low heels and had some problems with the ice during the tour. One girl was really close to falling down, so be careful. On the plane ride there, make sure you wear some nice wooly socks for when you land.
3) HEAD: Bring moisturizer!!!!! My face hurt so much, especially with the wind. If you are not staying in a hotel, also bring lotion for your hands and feet. That wind is brutal. For your time outside the interview, have a hat and scarf handy. I didn't bring either because of the stupid liquid carry-on rule. If you can't pack it, buy some in the airport when you land.
I know this makes me sound high maintenance, but it was the coldest weather I have ever experienced. Even the students said that Chicago has the "worst winters and best summers". It's better to be prepared than be in pain. Hope this helps, and good luck!!:luck: