Interviews and USMLE I scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you were ever going to save money towards something, or spend more than you would like on something, there arent many things I can think of more worthwhile than your residency search. This is your chance to find the training program that fits you best. Im not saying everyone should apply to 120, but everytime someone mentions how expensive it is, I have to wonder what other things they might spend money on that are more important. Now, if you are truly broke I can totally agree that applying to fewer programs is understandable. But if you were choosing between, say, not eating out for 3 months and applying/interviewing at as many residencies as possible, which one will have the greater positive impact on your life in 5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not broke, neither am I rich.... if one were to apply to a 120 programs how much would it cost? does anyone have exact numbers of how much the application costs? how many schools are included and how much does it cost for each additional school? If i need to keep a few grand in the bank, i'll start saving now!! :clap:

ERAS gives you the first 15 programs you apply to free. Then it's like $5 per program up to 25, $10 per program up to 35, and $25 per program above 35.

Using these estimates (It's been a while), 120 programs would cost you $2275 to apply.

Assuming you are a weak applicant, you will still get more interviews than time can possibly allow for. Consider this - interview season lasts for three months, or 90 days. Each program usually has 12-15 interview days, on different schedules from other programs (program A interviews only on mondays and wednesdays, Program B interviews only on Tuesdays, Program C interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays, etc.). There will be considerable overlap between programs and their interview schedules. Given the shear logistics of scheduling around other program's schedules, geographical distance, time off from rotations, and travel time between locations, you can hope to - AT BEST interview at four programs per week (assuming you can schedule them together and line them up in time).

Knock out two weeks for Christmas and New Years - when nobody interviews, that gives a solid Ten weeks of interview season, with AT MOST 4 per week - so you MIGHT squeeze 40 interviews assuming you don't fail a rotation for never showing up.

Realistically, I would think that 15-20 interviews would be the most that could possibly be tolerated, with most applicants interviewing at around 10 and matching in their top 3.

Now, if you apply to 120 programs, assume 1/3 will reject you outright just because they will never be convinced you really want to go to thei program for geographical reasons (Try applying to California programs and not ever living there). That will narrow you down to 80 programs that will consider your application. If you are a strong applicant, you might have your pick of all 80 of them

If you are a weak applicant, you might have your pick of 60. Get the point yet? You will still get many more interview offers than you can possibly fill.

Now, to the cost (using the 20 interviews above) issue. Imagine the airfare, taxi cabs, hotel rooms, meals, and gas money to visit 20 programs in a diverse gepgraphic area - I would guestimate that $10,000 would be about right, assuming you can plan interviews in a logical pattern.

GRAND TOTAL TO APPLY TO 120 Programs - around $13,000.00

I like the alternative - if you are a strong applicant (220+ board scores, 3.5 GPA+, top 1/3 of your class, honors in EM rotations, excellent letters), apply to 20 programs, interview at 15 (at the most), rank 10. Est. Cost - $3000.00

If you are an average applicant (200+ board scores, GPA 3.3+, Middle 2/3 of class, great letters, high pass/honors in EM rotations), apply to 30 programs and interview at 20 of them, and rank 10. Est. Cost - $4500.00

If you are a weaker applicant (passing board scores, GPA 3.0+, low class rank, average letters of recommendation, high pass/pass in EM), apply to 40 and interview at as many offers as you get. Rank them all. Est. Cost $6000.00

Do a search on this board - I think most will agree that there is no need to apply to THAT many programs, and interview at THAT many places - you will match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have advice for number of programs for a couples match (both in EM)? I'm leaning toward the 40 personally, just to be safe.

There's two third years in my program who were married and couples matched into EM. I've PM'd you their e-mail addresses... you could get in touch with them and see what they did.

aliraja said:
There's two third years in my program who were married and couples matched into EM. I've PM'd you their e-mail addresses... you could get in touch with them and see what they did.
Thanks a million!!!!!

I feel like I just bumped this.

Nascarmed - Just peruse the EM program websites and you can see it's heavily weighted to USMG's. I'm an IMG too (Europe), similar situation, though not so gung-ho EM. It will be difficult to break in the DIRECT route, but INDIRECTLY you still have an excellent chance of doing EM if thats your choice. First, you still may get the one spot. You can only work at one place and that may be it. If you go FM, tailor your time to focus on urgent care. A very high number of EM job ads will take a BC FM ..IF no EM Doc applies and there are plenty of places. Also, you should have applied to more 4 year EM programs than 3 year. Anyway, don;t get frustrated. With your credentials, you'll be the EMS head in some nice city soon and the paramedics, EMT's. firemen, cops, will have a hell of a lot of repsect for you for making it. good luck :thumbup:

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I was hoping that some more people who applied this year would mind posting their statistics and their interviews. Thanks so much for the help. These post are the ones that we (<MS IV) really appreciate. Good luck to everyone on the match! :)

Now that the interviewing is done, I am wondering if you 4th yrs would be so kind as to provide the followign info: You can just reply and fill in the Lines

Step I Score
Step II
Approx Class Rank
Programs applied to
Programs that rejected you
# of interviews taken

Best piece of advice for the 3rd yrs?

Hi-

At least one version of 2004-2005 version of this info can be found at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=161014&page=1

Best piece of advice: Be energetic and enthusiastic on all rotations. Figure out an EM angle to the different things you are learning; this will help you keep interested.

As for the Match, I can't stress enough how important it is to figure yourself out as soon as possible in the process. Despite what people say about the parity engendered by the RRC, the various programs differ significantly. Don't try to force yourself into a program that won't fit your style... or more positively: find a good match for your personality, work style, and patient base interest (bad wording, but you get my drift).

Good luck!

Anyone one else want to help the future ER applicants and share their numbers-Thanks for all of the help from everyone who has already replied

Members don't see this ad :)
fine, I'll bite. . .
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 254
Class Rank: top 5th
EM Rotation Grades: A x 2
2 EM LORs
Applied to 31
Never heard from 1 program
Rejected from 4
Actually interviewed at 12

Hi, I just want to make sure you read my last post. I wasn't trying to be the typical grump on this forum who says "go search elsewhere." There really are about 25 people's data, all from this year, including mine, at the link below.

jonahhelix said:
Hi-

At least one version of 2004-2005 version of this info can be found at:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=161014&page=1

Best piece of advice: Be energetic and enthusiastic on all rotations. Figure out an EM angle to the different things you are learning; this will help you keep interested.

As for the Match, I can't stress enough how important it is to figure yourself out as soon as possible in the process. Despite what people say about the parity engendered by the RRC, the various programs differ significantly. Don't try to force yourself into a program that won't fit your style... or more positively: find a good match for your personality, work style, and patient base interest (bad wording, but you get my drift).

Good luck!

jonahhelix said:
Hi, I just want to make sure you read my last post. I wasn't trying to be the typical grump on this forum who says "go search elsewhere." There really are about 25 people's data, all from this year, including mine, at the link below.

Agreed. I felt awkward enough posting my data there the first time, I don't want to do it again here. I don't know why, but I felt yucky doing it. Sort of like walking down the street with my big naked butt hanging out. :)

Take care,
Jeff

230 step 1
??? step 2
~3.5 GPA
Honors (x2)

36/38 interviews
11 interviews done

certified my list a few days ago :cool:

thanks to those who participated. still hoping for more info.

now this is a complete list of everyone who has completed the survey... just cut and pasted into this thread.

okay, i'll bite.

Honors: 1 class preclinical, 1 3rd year rotation (pediatrics), both EM 4th year rotations.

Extras: highly involved in med student committees, activities, multiple outside interests to talk about.

Research: during college only

School: "top ten" med school, whatever that means

Step 1: 241/97

Interviews: everywhere I applied.

EM values well-rounded people. LOR's are the key.
I think if you also do well on boards, write a good personal statement and be an interesting person instead of a robot, you'll get interviews.

Grades: No third year honors (all PC's and one P+ in my first clerkship), Honors on EM elective, waiting for grade on second EM elective. Honors on a 2 month critical care clerkship.

Step I: 219, step II: pending

Interviews at 15/30 schools, 2 rejections, the rest are pending

Everyone knows that there is so much more than numbers involved but, for all of the type A personalities out there....

StepI/II: 238/254
Involvement: Class president and one research poster
Grades: Honors on all of third year rotations and on EM and Toxicology in 4th year
Class rank: 11
Interviews: Applied to 18. Interviews from 14. Rejected from UNC. Still waiting on Carolinas, Houston, and Brown

There you go.
First thing: J-kins, seems like you got a raw deal from UNC... oh well, goes to show how unpredictable these things can be!
=======

Ok, this makes me feel a little dirty, but if it's helpful somehow:

School: Top 20
Grades: mixed H/P years 1 and 2
all H for 3rd and 4th so far
AOA
Boards: 236 Step I
?? Step II (but I must admit I'm a little nervous waiting for this one)
Research: 2 papers, 2 abs pre-med school (Master's Deg)
1 paper submitted, 1 abs in med school
Extras: a heckuva lot of comm serv and mentorship stuff
Letters: strong, i hope!

Interviews: 13/14, with the one left being that mellow prog in Charlotte still sipping on sweet tea rather than sending out the 'vites.
Ok, fine.

Step 1 - 216
Step 2 - 245

Top 25% of class
Plain ol' state school
Grades: Ours is a minimally disguised A-F system. A's and B's years 1-2; A's in medicine, surg, OB, peds. A in home EM rotation, "high pass" at away rotation.
Letters: per my first interviewer's comments, pretty strong. I'll take his word for it.
Research: 2 papers in the works (which I should be working on right now, but I'd rather feverishly check my email); 1 presentation at a lesser-known national conference.
Extras: Crisis domestic violence advocate, involved in EMIG, adrenaline junkie, couple of unusual hobbies
Interviews: 14 of 20 so far, still waiting on the rest.
Step I: 233
Step 2: 225
1st/2nd year Grades: Top 1/3rd
3rd year: No honors, but very close in 3 rotations
Emergency Med rotation: Pass...but was told it was very close to honors and our program doesn't hand out honors on EMed.
Away rotation in Jan.

Apparently letters are very strong...and I have a strong personal experience that I was able to discuss in my personal statement that I think helps too.

So far 16 offers out of 33 applied to. Two rejections, 15 pending.
... plus, I'll take any excuse I can to not study.

School: Bottom half I'd guess.
Grades: HP/P all years (I hate SHELF exams). 3.8 MPH GPA.
EM Rotations: HP x 2.
Step I: 215/mean
Step II: soon... too soon... or not soon enough...
Research: undergrad + med school. one project got me multiple poster presentations and is currently being reviewed for publication.
LORs: Must be good, with the interviews I've been getting.
Other stuff: Usual extracurricular stuff. MD/MPH program. EMT-Basic. Can throw a wicked one-handed tie. Sharp wit. Strikingly handsome. I like candle-lit dinners and long walks on the beach...... oh wait... that's for a different website.

Interviews: regional ones + a bunch of real reaches for me including Cincinnati, Jacobi, and Yale... it's unbelievable.

Take Home Point: You can really really stink on paper and still get interviews at great programs
1st 2 years: top 1/3
3rd year: honors in medicine, rest pass (no high pass for us, alas)
EM: pass at home (see WMH's comment %&$# it) and honors away - go figure!
step 1 241, step 2 243
other: lots of community/service oriented and peds oriented extracurriculars
research: only in college
LOR's: all from EM faculty, 3 at home and 1 from visiting rotation. I assume they are good, as interviews have turned out better than expected.... 18/30 offers, no outright rejections yet but expect a handful when it's over.

School: Oklahoma State-COM
Grades: A"s and B's in 3rd and 4th; A in home EM month
Step I: COMLEX: (98th%tile) USMLE: 247
StepII: Yet to be taken
Research:Microbiology techno stuff, 1 poster
LOR's: 2 good, 2 are bland-make sure you pick people who will put in the effort to write a good rec
Extras: Lots of community service, plus I was the first kid on the block with a Nintendo.
Interviews: 13/32 5 or so rejects including EVMS, BIDMC, BU, NW, and ABC's and 123's. The rest are pending. I thought I would get more interviews, maybe my LOR's say I am the Kevorkian of our med school or something to that effect.

School: Ross University (FMG)
Grades: A on all but Radiology (B+) and Trauma Surgery (C, don't know what happend one of the attendings was a d--k and didn't like me)
EM Rotations: A, A, HP
Step I: 208
Step II: 215
Research: None
LORs: Great as far as I know
Other stuff: Usual extracurricular stuff. Paramedic/Flight medic, bunch of other stuff doesn't really matter(I'll send you a CV if you want )
Interviews: 6 EM, 1 EM/IM, 1 IM
Rejections: 15 so far still waiting on 62 or so...

School: regular good ol' cheap state school in southeast(doesn't make sense to pay extra $25,000/year for private)
step 1 220
step 2 225
Clinical grades: all B's except Neurosurg (A)
Em: 2 A's (honors)
Research: try to avoid the stuff if at all possible. doing first research project at Everest base camp this spring. we'll see if I can handle this research thing.

LORs: 3 EM from home school and 1 away EM, strength: wish I knew
Extra: director of national adventure race, lots of international work, worked in ED for awhile, pride myself on spending more time playing outside than in the library in school.

Interviews: 17 out of 27 with only 3 rejections so far. waiting on the rest. rejected from UCSD, Highland, and UNC. My programs have a heavy western slant so I expect more rejections to be coming but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. I have heard from most of the southeast programs and waiting on the last few western programs.

EM wants well rounded folks. they will work with you everyday in a stressfull environment, so you need to have cool things that you do outside of work. key point is to be the world class kayaker/rock climber or whatever who also has time to make awesome grades

state school
no honors preclinical
honors in peds/family, advanced in medicine, surgery, psych
2nd quartile
EM: advanced in home, outstanding at away
step I: 213, step II: pending
no research or extracurriculars
international experience
interviews: 13/33 rejections: northwestern, boston, unc, vandy, highland

Preclinical rank: Top 1/3
Clinical rank: Top 1/3 (all pass, honors in psych & neuro)
USMLE I: 238
USMLE II: 239
EM Research (publication pending)
EM rotation: honors

Interviews I attended or will attend:
Northwestern
U Chicago
Cook County
U Penn
Stanford
UCLA
Johns Hopkins
Mass Gen/Brigham
Boston Med Ctr
Yale
Wake
NYHQ-Cornell
North Shore

Got many other interviews including... Mayo, UMich, Cinici, GW, Wash U, UCSD, UCSF, UMD, Pitt
Got rejected from... Colorado, BIDMC, NY Presbyterian, UCLA-Harbor, Jacobi

Interviews: 18/34, 15 accepted, 3 turned down, 4 still in holding pattern
Sexiest Interview Offers: Cincinnati, Jacobi, GW, Drexel, Henry Ford, Hopkins, UMD

As a side note, I've interviewed way too much. I got a small, late, second bolus of interviews that kind of threw things off. I'm very, very happy with my interviews, but with a bit more clarvoiance, could have hacked it down to 12 without sacrificing anything.
Like everyone else I really don't like posting this, but I know I wanted to see everyone's info last year, so I guess I'll disrobe:

Med school: Top 25
Preclinical rank: Middle 1/2
Clinical rank: Top 1/4 (all A's)
USMLE I: 246
USMLE II: not taken yet
Research: Nothing significant (minor project in between 1st and 2nd year)
EM rotation: honors at away, P/F at home
LOR: strong letters (from what I hear in interviews) from well-known faculty
Extracurriculars: pretty extensive

Interview offers from all applied to:
UAB
George Washington
Jacksonville
Orlando
USF
Emory
MCG
LSU-Charity
WashU
Mississippi
UNC
Carolinas
Duke
Wake Forest
Palmetto
Vandy
UVa

I think getting a letter or two from some well-known people in the field goes a long way. I think that's what got me an interview at some of these programs.

School: MSUCOM, Top Ten in Primary Care (Few Years) If you buy into US News and World Report
Rank: Top quartile, I believe. Our school frowns on ranking/grades. P/F
Grades: All passes, baby!
EM Rotations: 2 Allopathic Honors
Comlex I: 95%
Comlex II: 98%
Research: Read a lot of interesting stuff. Big question for others- how much is washing glassware or tabulating data that constitutes (your) research?
LORs: 4 EM letters (one as an intern). Believe they're all good.
Other stuff: Already an osteopathic intern (experience, but not fully funded in the last year- plus/minus) Speak Spanish. Lots of community involvment/leadership.

Interviews: 10/30, so far. Heard from the ones I really wanted too, plus a few that I never thought I'd hear from.

Rejections: 4- UNC, UCSD, BIDMC, Vandy

Hmmm, let's see....

My parents assure me that i'm "special", although hopefully not in the sense that I require a telethon. I brush after meals. I hold doors open for other people. I'm a firm believer in med-student solidarity; i.e. I don't make my team-mates look bad. Actually, now that I think of it, most of my team-mates probably look good in comparison to me...

As for stats: better than some, worse than others; 239,244; top quarter, clinical grades = honors. Combined degree. Lots of unique extra-curricular adventures. I've received invites from most of the programs I was really interested in, with the exception of Harbor who I have not yet heard from. At this point, I'm guessing it's likely a rejection, but time will tell... Otherwise, rejected from Highland and UT-Houston officially.

Oh yes, one more thing. I concur with the above - J'kins was most definitely 'robbed' by UNC! What were they thinking???

COMLEX I 87% COMLEX II 93%
Clinical Grades-All A's except one B (we don't have honors, high pass, etc.)
One publication, several other research projects pending publication
Interviews 10/33, Rejections from 2 programs

go to an average allopathic medical college.

I honored a few classes during both 1st & 2nd years.

I honored a few rotations as an M3.

Did 2 EM rotations, got B's in both, but strong comments.

Step 1 = 230's Step 2 = TBA

3 EM LOR's & one glowing LOR from an FP who has known me for years.

Wrote what one PD called a "ballsy" personal statement & have a full & interesting life outside of medicine

Applied to 35, invites from 17 so far (some from "top" programs) rejected by Maine, UNC & Northwestern.

Here's the point: If you're a less than spectacular student this thread will do little but needlessly scare you. If you're AOA it could offer you false hope. It's been said ad nauseum, & is now approaching ad infinitum, that EM looks at the whole applicant, so there is no magic formula. I know how bad you want one though, I was there just a couple months ago. The most consistent advice I've gotten was to rotate where you really want to go & work your butt off while you're there. Beyond that, diffferent programs look at different things

my application sucks. I'll probably scramble for anesthesia.

rank: after 2nd year middle third, after 3rd year bottom third
step 1: 233
step 2: tba
2 EM grades: 1 excellent and 1 honors
no research experience

applied to 30
interviews: 5 (3 charity interviews)
rejections: 3 in CA, Harvard, Northwestern

any non-competative programs in major cities that I should be sure to apply

I can't believe I'm posting this, but here goes:

State medical school
decent grades (few honors and a few passes but mostly high passes)
218/214
H in home EM rotation, grades in two away rotations pending
16 years as a paramedic (yeah, I'm old), two publications
13/30 with two rejections

Oh, and my best feature...I can say that old McDonald's thing really fast (two all beef patties...).

I agree with Jonah...I need a

-------------------
now this is the complete list. i think this class has been more then open to future classes.

step I 212
step 2 246

Took step 2 after all my interviews were offered. Good grades, honored my home and away EM months. Applied to 28, offered interviews at 25, actually interviewed at 12. All of this applies to East Coast Programs only.

GiJoe said:
Im gonna be applying soon. I was wondering has anyone gotten in with "below average" scores. like in the 195-205 range? What if you apply to as many as 60 programs? or is that overkill?

step 1= fail first time, 201 re-take
step 2= 202

18 programs applied to, limited by geographical needs
9 interviews, 2 holds, 2 rejections, rest no word yet, but not expecting any

Nah, I liked this thread as a MS3, helped amp me up to do better (even if it is a crap shoot). for whomever is reading this.....INTERVIEWS ARE A TOTAL CRAP SHOOT!!!! I can't emphasize this enough.

Soo... to help out the random cause (and trust me it's totally random)

Med school: Cincinnati
Clinical rank: Top 1/3
USMLE I: 227
USMLE II: 229
Research: none
EM rotation: Honors on all (MS3 at Cincy, MS4 at Cincy, MS4 at Mass General, MS4 Community)
LOR: 4 strong letters from well-known faculty (2 from Cincy, 1 from Mass General, 1 from Sub I)
Extracurriculars: Class President x 4yrs, several leadership scholarships, EMT prior to med school, multiple others including high level sports.

Interview offers from:
Utah
Carolinas
Duke
Wake Forest
Palmetto
Vandy
Cincinnati
Hennepin
Indy
Michigan
MGH Harvard
Brown
Denver
Northwestern
Christ
Cleveland Metro

Rejections from: Highland, UCSD, UNC, OHSU, Emory (which came mid-Jan?!?), and UCLA.

Hope this helps, and remember this process is totally random!

Tyson.. You obviously remember my list.. Ill post my stuff after I submit my ROL.

i agree this seems to be marginally helpful as I remember being a 1-3 year and desperately wanting to know numbers. oh well. here it goes.

Step 1: 241
Step 2: 265
A's in both EM electives.
EMS research
long time paramedic.
applied 21 programs
20 interviews.

hope it helps (doubtful), but hope it helps.

I also liked this thread as a M3. Gives you an idea.. But I will reiterate that the process is super random! If you look at the interviews offered thing I have a long long list...Ill follow TysonCooks template.

Clinical rank: Top 1/3
USMLE I: 217 Or 219 (Cant remember)
USMLE II: Same as step I
Research: 1 EM paper
EM rotation: Honors on one M4, B+ from another M4, B+ during 3rd yr
LOR: 5 strong letters from well-known faculty (1 from Away EM, 2 from Cook County, 1 from Medicine Attending, 1 from Peds Attending)
Extracurriculars: Previous work experience, numerous leadership roles.

Interview offers (78) from: see the site.. too many to note.

Rejections - 25

Never heard from 8 programs - UF-Jax, Kentucky, MGH, Akron, Summa, Brown, UT Southwestern, West Virginia, I never pushed cause I was real happy with the interviews I did get! Surely if you call it can help but I didnt care.

I had to apply to that many because of a personal situation that I want to keep quiet until match day.

This probably won't help anyone, but I'll bite as well.

Step I: 268
Step II: 279
EM Grade: Honors at home institution, no aways
EC's: Pres of honor society, some other random stuff
Interviews: 21/21

The one thing that sucks about having good stats is that I have been asked on multiple occasions....."Your application is too perfect....what are your faults?" I have also been told by a few PDs that they are looking for a good fit more than someone with good numbers who is a tool.

Radiohead said:
This probably won't help anyone, but I'll bite as well.

Step I: 268
Step II: 279
EM Grade: Honors at home institution, no aways
EC's: Pres of honor society, some other random stuff
Interviews: 21/21

The one thing that sucks about having good stats is that I have been asked on multiple occasions....."Your application is too perfect....what are your faults?" I have also been told by a few PDs that they are looking for a good fit more than someone with good numbers who is a tool.
lol. Poor baby :) That must have been rough!!!

Just teasing... you kinda opened the door a bit too wide for me to not walk through

ahhh, yes, I remember last year when I was asking people for this info. Turns out it didn't really matter:

Step 1: 228
Step 2: Will take it IN FEBRUARY!!!
Class Rank: Don't know, but there's NO WAY I'm even at the average...I didn't do so hot.
EM Scores: 92 at my home school, Pass (Honors?) at Away rotation.
LOR's: 1 EM from home school, 2 EM from away rotation, 1 IM from home school.
EM Research: None.
Extracurriculars: Uh, does building amplifiers count?

Applied: 30
Offers: 15
Interviews: 10 (that's all I can take!)
Still haven't heard from a few, and I'm sure I never will.

What I did during 3rd year: as little work as possible.

What I did during 4th year: slept 10 hrs/day, drank heavily, exercised even more, traveled, and lived like a normal person again.

My philosophy: life can be too good to waste on work and worry.

GiJoe said:
what rotations are the most important for getting letters?
2 EM letters are recommended. after that go for Medicine or surgery. I hear they carry more weight.

DocBrown said:
Extracurriculars: Uh, does building amplifiers count?

If they're push-pull tubes, I need advice. :laugh:

Flipchick said:
Alright kids, here's mine:

Step I: 229
Step II: 243
EM grade: E, H (at a very strong program)

Applied to 22 programs, got 2 rejections (both at West Coast programs), interviewing at 14 or 15 at the most.

I also highly recommend getting a very good LOR from somebody who's well-known in the field... I got lucky in picking my advisor, I didn't know at the time that he was one of the "pioneers" in EM, and at almost every interview I've been at my interviewers have commented on his LOR and have told me how much they really respected him.
Who was your advisor?

This is all really helpful!

I didn't take a 2nd ER rotation this year because I wasn't entirely sure about ER. I'm at the end of my first month of 4th year now (which is an ER rotation) and I'm alot more sold. Do you guys think I should bump something to get another ER rotation in for that 2nd letter? I probably can't reschedule August or September anyways, but I could probably defer my step 2 in October or take one in November at the earliest.

Otherwise, I'm:
Step 1: 229
Step 2: tentatively scheduled in Oct
No clinical honors as of yet, but almost all high pass
Current LORs would be 1 from my ER (should be good), 1 from a well-known surgeon, and 1 from a FP/sports medicine doc.

Thanks!

Moosh said:
This is all really helpful!

I didn't take a 2nd ER rotation this year because I wasn't entirely sure about ER. I'm at the end of my first month of 4th year now (which is an ER rotation) and I'm alot more sold. Do you guys think I should bump something to get another ER rotation in for that 2nd letter? I probably can't reschedule August or September anyways, but I could probably defer my step 2 in October or take one in November at the earliest.

Thanks!

id try to get in one more EM rotation. one is better then two for most people, and two is better then three for almost everyone.

Hey -- I am a third year at NSUCOM thinking about lining up electives and thinking about DO vs. MD. Why did you only consider MD programs? Any advice about DO vs. MD? any advice about certain programs? Know anything about university of kentucky? thanks, amy

No one cared much about my scores as a resident, and now that I'm an attending, no one even remembers half the stuff on Step I. But since this was the one area I did well on in medical school, I'll share

I- 257
II-269

28/30 Interviews (They were Madigan and UNC, if you're interested.)

My stats, which are unbelievable in several ways:

STEP I: 206
STEP II: 216
Grades: 2.4 GPA, ranked in BOTTOM 15% (not top) of med school class.

Applied to 120 programs:
73 rejections
47 invitations to interview

23 actual interviews done
22 programs ranked

Matched at my #1.

No one will believe my story, but remember, I am the HORNET.

:eek:

Does anyone here know for sure whether EM in the US strictly requires US-LORs? I know it helps a lot but is this a requirement or recommended?

Does anyone here know for sure whether EM in the US strictly requires US-LORs? I know it helps a lot but is this a requirement or recommended?

Pretty much required at the overwhelming majority to have at least 1 SLOR - check the individual websites. The ones that don't specifically state that they require a SLOR still prefer to see them, in my opinion.

Can you please post what your USMLE step 1 and 2 scores and how many interviews you received. I am applying next year and would like to get an idea of score cut offs and how many interviews are possible based on scores.

Thank you.

Keep in mind, by asking this in this forum, you are going to have selection bias. Only the people who are proud of their scores will post, and the ones you really care about...the ones that have lower scores that still got plenty of interviews, are probably not going to post...

TL

Keep in mind, by asking this in this forum, you are going to have selection bias. Only the people who are proud of their scores will post, and the ones you really care about...the ones that have lower scores that still got plenty of interviews, are probably not going to post...

TL
The OP started this thread back in 2003! I think they've found out by now how their step scores stacked up.

Though, if anyone wants to know how their score compares, feel free to look at the SDN 2009 EM applicant survey (link in my sig). Or wait for the 2010 edition to come out sometime later this spring.

The OP started this thread back in 2003! I think they've found out by now how their step scores stacked up.

Though, if anyone wants to know how their score compares, feel free to look at the SDN 2009 EM applicant survey (link in my sig). Or wait for the 2010 edition to come out sometime later this spring.

Haha, I didnt even notice it was such an old thread!

TL

Anyone care to share recent stats for current med students? Thanks!

Anyone care to share recent stats for current med students? Thanks!

Can't believe I read this whole thread. It is old, but despite the arbitrariness (word?) of it I think it helps. I am gearing up for an away and since my school doesn't have a residency program. Kinda nervous!

I'm sure things will be fine. Also concerned at just how competitive some programs may be. So, its good to see these stats even if most are to be expected since many of the posters are above the mean for matching into EM.

I mean, obviously, the first priority is to match. But everyone's got a goal.

This is an interesting thread given that many of us will be getting the ERAS tokens soon and begin re-spilling our academic lives onto an electronic application.

Tell me this is not how actual jobs are found.

i meant any numbers in the recent match class or class before that might helps us about to go into the application season (which is happening right now)