Interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Re Wake: I was offered an interview via email/ERAS on 11/3; never received the "we're reviewing your app" email. Keep your chins up about this one. I know the invite will come for you all who want it.

Again, I'm no ER stud, just "mildly" competative.

Dwgs

P.S. An interesting twist on the lists here... Here's my list of programs that haven't given me the time of day so far...

Maine
Akron
Summa
Louisville
UNC
Christiana

Interviews I've been offered:
UVA
York
Pitt
Allegheny
WVU
Wake
Palmetto
Carolinas
East Carolina
EVMS
Geisinger
SUNY Syracuse
Albany
MCV
Maryland
Kentucky
UCONN
Baystate
UMass
MC of Georgia

Hope this helps some of you make some comparisons.

Dwgs.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my list thus far...I want to limit my interviews to 10-12, but having a hard time picking....any advice???

UNM
Portland
UC Davis
Indiana
Hennepin
Jacksonville FL
Baystate
U Pitt
St Luke's Roosevelt
Beth Israel
U of AZ
Standford
U Chicago Ill
Emory
U NC
U Mass
:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejections today:

Oregon Health & Science University
University of Pittsburgh

JJS --

As a resident at UNM, I can say that *most* people who rotate at UNM are offered an interview. There may be some exceptions, but a large part of the interview process is identifying people who are interested in your program. Programs want people that are happy to be in their program. Coming for a rotation is a strong way, though certainly not the only way, of expressing interest in a program.

That being said, come prepared to work hard and make a strong impression!

Serious inquiries about the program welcome.

wake forest by eras and email

New Mexico by phone:clap:

I think I have my final list, although I still haven't heard from Hopkins or Wake Forest.

Interviews Scheduled:
Allegheny General
Duke
Emory
Mayo
Medical College of Georgia
Orlando Regional
University of Cincinnati
University of Florida-Jacksonville
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Yale-New Haven

Rejections:
University of Pittsburgh

UCLA Harbor
Suny at Stony Brook

Originally posted by Double
U NC

Congrats - you're the only one that I've seen on here with a UNC interview. There's been a lot of people inquiring & waiting for that one, myself included. Did you happen to do a rotation there, or are you just that damn good?:D

Originally posted by iwakuni_doc
Congrats - you're the only one that I've seen on here with a UNC interview. There's been a lot of people inquiring & waiting for that one, myself included. Did you happen to do a rotation there, or are you just that damn good?:D

No, I did not rotate there. Actually I was thinking of not accepting, but I don?t know much about the program. Do you think it?s worth going to? I'm having a hard time picking which to accept.

Originally posted by Double
No, I did not rotate there. Actually I was thinking of not accepting, but I don?t know much about the program. Do you think it?s worth going to? I'm having a hard time picking which to accept.

As a program, I get the impression that it's solid. One of the big draws for me is the location - Chapel Hill is an great little town. I did my undergrad at Duke, and while Durham isn't that nice, I did like that area of NC - couple of hours from the beach & couple of hours from the mountains. Chapel Hill is one of those great little college towns with a very intelligent & cultured population, always plenty of things to do with your free time.

Although I still gotta hate those Tar Heels....Go Devils!

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ of West Virginia
York / Penn State
(both via ERAS and e-mail today)

My list of interviews so far ...

Univ. of Alabama
LSU - New Orleans
LSU - Baton Rouge
UT Houston
Thomas Jefferson
University of Maryland
RWJ (Cooper) NJ

I got an e-mail today from Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center stating they sent me an interview offer via snail mail and that their interview slots were filling. I never got the snail mail offer...

- h

Originally posted by FoughtFyr
I got an e-mail today from Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center stating they sent me an interview offer via snail mail and that their interview slots were filling. I never got the snail mail offer...

- h

you should have received an ERAS email first. the snail mail letter comes about 10 days afterwards.

I have to choose between visiting U Conn or U Pitt. Does anyone know which program is the better of the two? :confused:

Hey, anyone hear from Maricopa yet? :confused:

Two interviews in one day (what a relief)
BIDMC/Harvard
Duke

I hope more roll in soon enuff!

Fyr-

I had a similar experience w/Wayne State-DMC. There was no email or ERAS, yet I got a phone call from them. Then, a week later I recieved the letter via snail mail.....it had a mid October date on it but, the post mark(metered) was a November date. they don't seem too organized in Detroit.

C

OHSU via email and message center!:clap:

Interviews-
UT - Houston
Texas A&M

Texas A&M - Scott and White
and
UT - Houston
via ERAS today.

Carolinas today...

Here is what i have so far:
JHU
Maryland
RWJ-Camden
Carolinas
Ohio State
CWRU
Geisenger
Pitt
Jefferson
York
St. lukes
U-Penn
Temple
EVMS
VCU/MCV
UVA
WVU
Indiana

The only one I'm waiting for is Christiana and they said they are sending out another batch of invites early next week.

-P

hi all...

if anyone has questions about hennepin...feel free to shoot. Look forward to seeing all of you who are interviewing!:p

University of Illinois Chicago--in a Sunday am email

Originally posted by gimmedog
This process is so expensive!!! HOW do they expect us to do this without extra financial aid?????

Actually, me and MOST of my friends took out extra money. There's that 4th year loan where you can take up to $10K for residency interviews and relocation expenses. I forget the name of it, but it made the year a lot less stressful!

RR loans are the extra $ that you can get up to $10K-Our Financial Aid office had a list to choose from. I went through T.H.E. b/c they were handling my med school loans-

B

Originally posted by RnB
Hey, anyone hear from Maricopa yet? :confused:

Finally heard from Maricopa today via e-mail/message center.

I also sent out e-mails to the last couple programs I hadn't heard from...Palmetto in S.C. supposedly mailed an invite that's been lost in the mail for some time. Moral of the story: follow up on your applications where you haven't heard anything yet.

Duke
Washington U
John's Hopkins
University of Maryland
Christiana
Palmetto
Allegheny
West Virginia
Baton Rouge
Tampa
Louisville

Still Waiting from 18 more potentials ...

Rejections:

Eastern Virginia
East Carolina (WTF?)
Texas - Dallas
Texas - Houston
Wake Forest

Well, invites and rejections all in one day!

Invites:
Johns Hopkins
Brown
Orlando

Rejections:
Maricopa

By the way, I suggest calling programs you haven't heard from. Orlando stated that they had sent an invite that I never received, so it definately doesn't hurt to call and check.

Here they are:

UNC
Duke
ECU
Wake Forest
St. Lukes
Drexel
U. of Chicago
Ressurection
U. of Va
VA in Norfolk
Jacksonville
U. of GA

Quinn..im waiting on TAMPA!!! :( Im going to call tomorrow when Im on call.

Also waiting on Orlando, UC Davis, LSU- Baton Rouge

Rejects:
2 Texas progrograms
2 Az programs
Loma Linda
Emory...which sux, b/c I would have ranked it high
Beth Isreal in Boston

Thats it!

Manda Goose

To the poster way up above,

Today Maricopa responded to an inquerry I sent them a few days ago. I got good news, and the PD added that they are running a little behind as far as reviewing applications and getting interviews invites out.

Curiously, he also said he had given the OK to invite me for an interview a couple of weeks ago and for some reason that didn't happen.

Anyway, sit tight! An invite may be headed your way!

Good:

U Fla. Jax
MCG
Emory
Palmetto-Richland
Carolinas
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Lexington
Louisvile
UT Southwestern
UT Houston
Texas A&M
U of Arizona
Maricopa
U of New Mexico
Harbor-UCLA
MLK Hospital
UCSD
Loma Linda
Stanford
Arkansas

Bad:
Oregon HSC

Haven't heard anything:

UC Irvine
UC Davis
UVA

Anyone heard from UC Irvine?

Note: The above programs are not ones that I'm going to necesarily interview at, just the ones that have I recieved good news from.

Just curious...

I see all these lists of interviews that people are putting down - are ya'll keeping that many interviews? Do you actually plan to interview at all of them?

I've been keeping my actual interview # down to 9-10, for a couple of reasons:

1-it's not real practical for me to take up an interview from someone else, if I'm certain that I'll be ranking 9-10 programs ahead of them

2-the sooner I notify the other programs of this, the sooner those invites can go out to other deserving candidates who are dying to hear from programs.

By all means, everyone should interview at enough places to feel comfortable about matching - but please be considerate of your fellow applicants who are still watching & waiting.

Today recieved Invites from Resurrection and UI-Chicago
Rejection from Univ. of Arizona
I pretty much knew that Arizona was going to reject me since they are notoriously D.O. un-friendly.

Which would you go to, Texas A&M, UT-Southwestern, or Ressurection?, or a combo of the three.

Note: The above programs are not ones that I'm going to necesarily interview at, just the ones that have I recieved good news from.

I'm in same frame of mind as you to do 10-12 interviews. I over-applied because I'm going through the couples match and thought I would need as much flexibility as possible as far as trying to get interviews together.

I agree with iwakuni, if you plan to opt out, it's probably better to do it sooner rather than later. Other people may be more invested in those programs and waiting to hear.

Here's mine:
MGH/BW
BIDMC
BMC
Kings County
Mt Sinai
U of Chicago
UIC
UCLA-OV
UCD
Highland
Fresno
Stanford

waiting:
NYU, NYP, SLR, Jacobi, UCLA-Harbor, OHSU, UCI

I meet with my adviser this week to trim down the list to 9-10.

"The list"

UNM
Portland
UC Davis
Indiana
Hennepin
Jacksonville Fl
Harbor UCLA
U Pitt
U Mass
U Conn
St Luke's
U Ill Chicago
U Chicago
Stanford
Beth Israel
U of A
Emory
Suny at Stony
U NC
Baystate

Waiting on:
Irvine
Allegheny

Rejected from:
Maricopa :laugh:

I'm with you Ritaboy i'm only going on 10-12 and I've already let some of the programs know that I can't make it.

Question? why did you put Portland under bad?

Perhaps therein lies the problem - I too plan to opt out of a few programs, but until I hear from the other 18 programs that include some of the more desireable locales, I have no choice but to keep the interviews I have. Hopefully by the end of this week I will be able to cancel some of the ones I have scheduled and replace them with the other programs I wish to attend. Until then, I'm sorry if I am holding somebody's interview spot. Please direct any complaints to the programs who have not yet responded to me (I'll be happy to give you a list ;)).

BTW - I have read of people not hearing from programs at all during interview and match season. If this is the case and there are a couple of programs that have just vanished into thin air, can we expect a refund from ERAS for our application fees. We paid out of our own pockets for the oppurtunity to apply and I would just think it wrong if we didn't at least hear something...

Margarita

what do you think of the alabama program in birmingham? although new, it looks pretty nice. is it?

BTW - I have read of people not hearing from programs at all during interview and match season. If this is the case and there are a couple of programs that have just vanished into thin air, can we expect a refund from ERAS for our application fees. We paid out of our own pockets for the oppurtunity to apply and I would just think it wrong if we didn't at least hear something... [/B]

One transitional program didn't even download my MSPE, transcript or PS! I want that $8 back! At least you can PRETEND you looked at it!:mad:

About UAB:

It is a new 2-4 program now going through its third match season. The residents I've worked with seemed to be pretty happy with the program, and most of the attendings in the program are top notch teachers and pretty friendly folks. They are genuinely interested in teaching and the EM program.
The program is small, only taking ~6 residents per year, and they seem to get a good number of procedures.

Trauma runs the traumas. There are times when level one traumas will arrive at the ER without us even knowing it because they are funneled off to the Trauma team before they even arrive at the hospital.

The PD, Dr. Leaming, is leaving so he can move a little closer to home, and I'm ashamed to say that I don't know who is replacing him.

The ER at UABMC is a bit of dump, quite frankly. There is a new multi-million dollar UAB hospital being constructed down the street that is going to have new ER services/spaces that is supposed to be completed around December 2004 (I think?). They've also just installed new digital patient tracking system that is up on a big plasma screen in ED. It is being installed in phases, and I'm not sure what the time line is for its completion, but it is already a big improvement.

The Children's Hospital, where you will do ~2 shifts/month, is state-of-the-art and immaculate. I've not worked in the Peds ER per se, but I've heard it is great.

The EM program seems to be gaining strength here, and I get the sense that things will only continue to get better with the new facilities, which are supposed to offer greater exposure to trauma for EM residents.

Note: I'm basing the above on my relatively limited experience in the ED.

I've cancelled/declined every interview offer I am not willing to attend (I hope that it does some good). I'm still somewhat pissed at the random programs that did not even bother to respond at all.

Currently -
Rotated at 2
Applied to 31
Offered interviews at 24 (including both I rotated at)
Rejected by 1
NOTHING from 6 (Northwestern, Christ, U of Chicago, U of Kentucky, MSU - Sparrow, and Akron City/SUMMA)

I accepted 10, and I am on a waiting list for Saturday interviews at 2.

Good luck all - keep the faith...

- H