Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
add temple, pennsylvania hospital, charlotte carolinas medical ctr

Members don't see this ad.

Add UMKC & Reading (via snail mail)

New to this site, but here is my list so far.
U of Virginia
U of New Mexico
Washington University
U of Louisville
U of Utah
UC Davis

Members don't see this ad :)
pruritis_ani said:
My list of invitations:
Palmetto (SC)
Riverside (VA)
UCLA-harbor (CA)
Grand Rapids (MI)
Univ of New Mexico (NM)
Washington Hosp (DC)

pruritis_ani said:
add Monmouth (NJ) and Carrilion (VA)

pruritis_ani said:
add UCSF/fresno

add Eastern VA.

The "magic" 10 number has been reached. At least now I feel like I will have a job next year.

obgyn06 said:
add temple, pennsylvania hospital, charlotte carolinas medical ctr

hi there - just wondering if you have heard anything about carolinas. any info would be helpful!

After reading this thread for a couple of weeks, I guess I'll jump in too...

Interviews so far:
UNM
U. Washington
Hawaii
Utah
Kaiser Santa Clara
Dartmouth

A question for AtYourCervix: I think you said you'd gotten an offer from Pitt...do you know anyone else who's heard from them?? I am very interested in their program... hoping for an offer... =(

lmh14 said:
hi there - just wondering if you have heard anything about carolinas. any info would be helpful!

I have ONLY heard word of mouth stuff...

But, I have heard that it is one of the best community programs and is actually very academic. I have heard that it is a very "desirable" program and can be somewhat competitive. Overall, I have heard that it is a great program, lots of variety and good camaraderie. But that's all i know really...

U of Washington
Wash U
Baylor Houston
Emory
University of Cininnati
U Pitt
Vanderbilt
UC Irvine
UVA

Congratulations everyone. I must say I think some of the rejections you all have posted are crazy. How does Missouri reject someone with a Vandy interview? Seems a little screwy :)

Here is my updated list:

Univ. New Mexico
Baylor Dallas
UTMB Galveston
UTMB Austin
Fort Worth Hospitals
UT Houston Hermann
UT Houston LBJ
Carolinas Health Center
Methodist Houston
UT San Antonio
Scott and White
Mountain Area Health Education Center, Ashville

Now I am beginning to understand the need for more cash. Loan officer, please.

My updated list:

UTMB- Galveston
UTMB- Austin
UT San Antonio
UNM
UT Houston- LBJ (came today)

I applied to both community and university programs. Mostly university, but that wasn't a specific requirement for me.

Recent invites from:
UT Memphis
Vandy
Kaiser Santa Clara
UC Davis

Congrats everyone!!
Here's my list so far.....

Washington Hospital Center
Christiana
Medical College of Virginia
U Va
U of Maryland
Hopkins
Vanderbilt
Carolinas
Univ Hospitals of Cleveland

Quick question...has anybody heard anything about Maryland?? It is close to home, so I'm interested, but nobody else here has mentioned it. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

I am sort of suprised you said this...Vanderbilt was one of the least impressive places I interviewed last year, and my classmates who interviewed there agreed. The program seemed very unstable and they have had to scramble to fill the program 2 years in a row now. I think they are nearing the point of not being able to ride on an old reputation any more. I could be wrong, just my $.02.

QUOTE:
Congratulations everyone. I must say I think some of the rejections you all have posted are crazy. How does Missouri reject someone with a Vandy interview? Seems a little screwy

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews so far:
Hopkins
Emory
Mount Sinai at NY
NY Downtown Hospital
Beth Israel at NY
Vanderbilt
Baylor College
Baylor Univ
Scott and White

invites from:
emory
baylor (houston)
ut houston lbj
st. luke's roosevelt

any thoughts that if a school invites you before they have all your info, they may not be a very good program?

aysecik said:
hello kittycat,
congradulations on your interviews. could you share your scores and if you are img or amg

I've been on a busy rotation without a lot of internet time.

I'm an amg. My grades are so-so, clinical grades are better than my 1st 2 years. My step I is not so great. My step II is better, but not fantastic. I haven't read my evals, but I think they should be good. I go to a top-ten medical school. I'm non-traditional. I have a lot of research exp., but none in Ob/gyn. Hope this helps.

Someone asked me when I scheduled my Toledo interview. I forget the exact date, but it was mid-November sometime.

My list as of now:

MUO
Wright State
University Hospitals of Cleveland
Akron General Medical Center
Univ. of Cincinatti

Kittycat

anybody heard from Iowa? or St. Louis University?

My list as of now:

MUO
Wright State
University Hospitals of Cleveland
Akron General Medical Center
Univ. of Cincinatti

Kittycat[/QUOTE]

Hi Kittycat - Wow, lots of Ohio programs :) Just wanted to give you my two cents worth and say that I love Univ Hosp of Cleveland. Residents are super nice and get along well, attendings are equally nice, great mentors. I'd seriously, seriously consider staying here, but am wanting to get back closer to my family. Maybe I'll run into you when you come to interview!

I received an invite before all my letters were in to UW. However, I am a UW med student and I have been told we have an advantage getting interviews.

ohbee gin said:
Anyone know receive a University of Washington invite without having a completed application? My 3rd letter writer is dragging his feet and I'm freaking out.

Heard back:
Dartmouth/Hitchcock
Northshore/LIJ

p.s. I was warned to stay away from programs with less than 2500 deliveries. Dartmouth is just shy of 2500 across 2 sites. Has anyone heard that this low procedural number is problematic for the residents there? Everything else about the program sounds so strong.

Alician said:
I received an invite before all my letters were in to UW. However, I am a UW med student and I have been told we have an advantage getting interviews.

Alician,

since you are a univ of washington student -- can you tell us about the program .. resident interactions / signout times ... attendings, etc?

thanks!

snow

For those of you interested in UTHSC San Antonio - weekday checkout time is 5pm, then night float comes on at 7pm - so the 5-7 hours are pretty hectic trying to get everything cleaned up. Checkout in the morning is at 7am. Gyn rounds have been starting around 6:15 for residents (so we students are there at 0530). OB rounds seem to get started around 5:45 for residents. Weekend checkouts are 7am and 7pm. Night float gets here at 7pm, works Sunday-Thursday nights.

Take this for what it's worth because I don't have much to compare it with yet and I tend to look at the positive side of things...

Most of the residents are great: very happy, friendly, intelligent and good friends with each other.

The training in MFM is excellent and there is a large volume of high risk OB with extensive training in management of HTN, preeclampsia and diabetes in pregnancy. The c section rate is pretty high at the UW hospital because of the high risk population and large volume of referrals from other hospitals. I haven't seen the gyn-onc side of things yet but I hear that it is strong also.

I also loved my gynecology rotation at Harborview (the county hospital) where there is a very diverse population and as a MS3 I got to do a ton of EMBs, colpos etc. Thursdays are all day colposcopy clinic and the UW is big in HPV research.

L&D at UWMC is on a night float system Sun through Thur with AM board signout at 630 and PM signout at 5. The residents who aren't on nightfloat that week take turns covering fri and sat night. I think the system works pretty well.
I don't have much experience with the other services or hospitals.

The attendings vary. There are some amazing attendings and in general I am very impressed with their experience and knowledge but less impressed with the teaching. I think as a medical student however, I have been low priority unfortunately.

Overall, I would love to stay in this program because I see happy residents and strong training. I also love Seattle. I however, may be headed for California.

Any other questions? Sorry I don't have more specifics.

So far I've gotten interviews at:

Univ. of Arizona
Univ. of Nevada
Univ. of Hawaii
Univ. of Utah
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
UC Davis
Jefferson
Temple
UT Austin

I haven't heard from Univ. of Washington yet!!! Is that a bad sign?

Hello all...hope the interview season begins well and ends well for all of you.

My interview invites so far:

University of Virginia
University of Texas - Memorial Hermann
Baylor University - Dallas
Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte
University of Florida - Gainesville
University of Florida - Jacksonville
Orlando Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University
Vanderbilt
University of South Florida
Bayfront Medical Center

will keep you all posted...

My girlfriends list so far: (as far as I can remember...)
SUNY Buffalo
Louisville
U of Maryland
Richmond (VCU)
Norfolk (Eastern Virginia)
Emory
Vanderbilt
USC/palmetto
Jacksonville

Just received:

UT Southwestern-Parkland
Univ of Arizona
Methodist Dallas

Congrats to all! Keep those interviews coming!

Does anyone have the inside scoop on Emory or Baylor-COM?

[

hey embryo 2006....
i am also really interested in emory....can you please tell me/PM me your credentials?
i am an IMG with 89/92/pass/ecfmg certified with 5 years experience in ob gyn in my home country.

thanks

QUOTE=Embryo2006]Congrats to all! Keep those interviews coming!

Does anyone have the inside scoop on Emory or Baylor-COM?[/QUOTE]

riverside regional, newport news virginia :confused:
does anyone know why it is 5 year program
thanks

i believe it is a 4 year prog for ob gyn.till recently it was a 5 year combined FP-OBGYN prog which is why they have indicated that on their website.

brown today!!!! im real excited about that one. in the email it says to reply within a week or the offer is considered withdrawn...ill be replying today!

thats cool......good luck atyour cevix...

I'm new here, but I thought I'd get in on the fun too.

Offers so far:
U of South FLorida
U of Cincinnati
U of Louisville
St Louis Univ
Wash Univ-St. Louis
UTMB- Galveston
UTMB- Austin
Baylor - Houston
Indiana Univ
Wake Forest

I got a little scared and probably applied to too may places. How many interviews is it suggested you take?

Orlando
UTHSC (San Antonio)
UTMB (Austin)
East Tenn State
U Vermont
Maine Med Cntr
Pitt
Medical Coll. of Virginia
Christiana
Banner Good Samaritan (Phoenix)

Has anyone heard anything about ETSU loosing accreditation - why and how?
How many interviews do you all think is a safe # to go on ?

as far as ETSU, check this website...it lists programs on probation

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

click on accreditation decisions on the left.
then click on the programs with currently unfavorable decisions link in the scroll down

ETSU is on there, and should have been re-evaluated in july. i would contact the program and ask wahat is up with that.

Thanks Neil. That website was helpful. I found out that some of the programs I applied to have accreditation issues.

Thank you, Neil. As usual, you are extremely helpful and informed!
Everyone should check out this site.
Now, how do I find out why certain programs are on probationary status?
:cool:

abmd2006 said:
Thank you, Neil. As usual, you are extremely helpful and informed!
Everyone should check out this site.
Now, how do I find out why certain programs are on probationary status?
:cool:

How to know why programs are on probationary status:
Programs that are on probation are required by the ACGME to tell applicants that they are on probation and why. I am speaking from experience because I have interviewed at one of the programs which is listed on probation. However, this takes place at the interview. So if the reason for probation would change your decision to interview there, you should call and ask or send an email to the program director. Also, make sure you look at the "next visit" dates. Some of the programs have already gone up for review or will before you enter the program and are likely to be off probation (it isn't often a program does not make sure to address the issues and then are put on "continued probation"). Hope that helps.

I want to play too!

Univ. of Washington
Wake Forest
Brown
Univ. of Chicago

:)

Texas Tech El Paso is on probation. I got a friend there who is PGY3 who says things are not getting better and wants out. I know for sure that TTEP anesthesia lost its accreditation a year ago I think.

My list:

UC Irvine
Stanford
University of Washington

Alician said:
My list:

UC Irvine
Stanford
University of Washington
Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to hear from the California programs after your app was complete?

All my letters were in 9/26
My transcript was finally in by 10/7
I heard from UC Irvine 10/5
I heard from Stanford 10/10

Hope that helps

Heard back from Kaiser LA, Mercy (Chicago), and Loyola Chicago

I glanced at that website listing the programs on probation.... maybe I won't visit Mercy or NY Downtown afterall since they are on probation...

On a side note, my flippin' chair's letter STILL isn't uploaded!!! Everytime I call the office the secretaries give me the total run-around! :mad: U of Washington's deadline is Monday and I would love to get an invite from them!!! Even though I worked so hard to have all the components of my application done as close to Sept. 1 as possible, things still get messed up :thumbdown:

Apparently venting your frustration on SDN works. My letter was just uploaded :laugh:

Is anybody applying to Univ of Wisconsin, Madison? I just added them to my list - their program looks pretty good from the website! Anyone know anything about it/ know anyone that goes there?

Also, has anyone heard anything from U. Minnesota? Their website is not very informative. I have a friend that's a Med/Peds resident there and their university sounds awesome from a global health standpoint with a tremendously diverse patient population, but I can't say I've been able to find out much about their Ob/Gyn program specifically...

Thanks!
-Red

ShambhalaRed said:
Is anybody applying to Univ of Wisconsin, Madison? I just added them to my list - their program looks pretty good from the website! Anyone know anything about it/ know anyone that goes there?

Also, has anyone heard anything from U. Minnesota? Their website is not very informative. I have a friend that's a Med/Peds resident there and their university sounds awesome from a global health standpoint with a tremendously diverse patient population, but I can't say I've been able to find out much about their Ob/Gyn program specifically...

Thanks!
-Red

I know some people who interviewed at Madison in the past and were really impressed. Sorry I don't have any specific information.

I also applied to Minnesota.... haven't heard anything yet. I did an away rotation there (not in obgyn though) and really enjoyed the city and the hospital (I worked at the county hospital- HCMC).

Just signed up, so here is my interview list:
Washington Hospital Center (DC)
St. John's (Detroit)
Providence Hospital (Detroit)
St. Joe's (Ann Arbor)
NY Downtown
Albert Einstein (Manhattan)
Medical University of Ohio
University Hospital in Cleveland
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic
Akron General Medical Center (Ohio)

Does anyone know anything about these programs? Also, has anyone heard from the University of Michigan yet?

Thanks!

Carbo/Taxol said:
Hello all...hope the interview season begins well and ends well for all of you.

My interview invites so far:

University of Virginia
University of Texas - Memorial Hermann
Baylor University - Dallas
Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte
University of Florida - Gainesville
University of Florida - Jacksonville
Orlando Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University
Vanderbilt
University of South Florida
Bayfront Medical Center

will keep you all posted...

Add:
Wake Forest
MUSC - Charleston

:( Has anyone else had the experience of getting quite a few interview offers all within a few days and then nothing comes? Or do I just suck that bad? I realize some programs wait for the dean's letter but not all of these do, so that isn't the answer.