Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got a bunch early, then it just seems to have slowed down a ton. i got a couple last week, but nothing at all this week...i am hoping something comes today, or it will be the first week with no invites! sad stuff..

but, i think if a program has waited this long, it is pretty likely that they will wait for deans letter. i am just po'd by the 3 programs that i KNOW have been inviting others...invite me, or reject me already. i hate the waiting, not knowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Add MUSC, Franklin Square

Just wondering when/how you heard back from U of Chic and if you are a student there/did an away rotation and could comment on the program. Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

bs

saucysocks said:
I want to play too!

Univ. of Washington
Wake Forest
Brown
Univ. of Chicago

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invites thus far

St. Louis
Wash U
UVA
UNC
Wake Forest
U of Louisville
CWR/ Cleveland Clinic
Vanderbilt
UAB
Univ Florida, Gainsville

Interviews so far:

Hopkins
Wash U
Emory
MUSC
Magee/U Pitt
U. Kentucky
Good Samaratin (Cincinnati)

Emory
Iowa
Mayo
Wash U
Medical College of Wisconsin
St. Louis University
Johns Hopkins
Metro Health/Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Loyola

I applied to way too many programs (24) and got other invites, but these are the ones I have scheduled.

Hey guys! My first time on studentdoctor.net:) Was getting kind of nervous about interview offers :scared:
Here's who's offered so far:

Johns Hopkins
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston
Akron General Medical Center
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Cedars Sinai in LA

No rejections yet...

How long do you guys think we should wait before thinking we won't be offered interviews at the hospitals we've applied to? Do they all send out rejection letters?

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully will see some of you in a couple of months :)

I'm definetely feeling the pain of the lull in invites lately. Here is my list, pretty similar to many others.
Vermont
Dartmouth
Beth Israel
UVirginia
WashU
Louisville
New Mexico
Arizona
Utah
UC Davis

Have a good day!

Here's an Updated list:
Hopkins
Emory
Mount Sinai at NY
NY Downtown Hospital
Beth Israel at NY
Vanderbilt
Mayo Clinic in Rochester,MN
St. Luke's in PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor College
Baylor Univ
Scott and White

Got invites from Cedars-Sinai in LA and Univ of Chicago today! :D

My updated list:
Univ. Washington
New Mexico
Utah
Kaiser Santa Clara
Dartmouth
Beth Israel Deaconess (Boston)
Hawaii
Univ. Minnesota (by snail mail today)

Good luck!

Has anyone heard back from the University of North Carolina or Duke yet?

not personally, but i thought i had seen UNC on one of the many lists....

at some point, i remember someone asking specifics about cleveland programs. i forgot and never wrote anything. if anyone is still interested, say the word and i'll give some info.... i'm a med student here so i'm pretty familiar with university hospitals and metrohealth/ccf.

let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
ShambhalaRed said:
Is anybody applying to Univ of Wisconsin, Madison? I just added them to my list - their program looks pretty good from the website! Anyone know anything about it/ know anyone that goes there?

Also, has anyone heard anything from U. Minnesota? Their website is not very informative. I have a friend that's a Med/Peds resident there and their university sounds awesome from a global health standpoint with a tremendously diverse patient population, but I can't say I've been able to find out much about their Ob/Gyn program specifically...

Thanks!
-Red

I went to undergrad at UW Madison and I'm applying for residency there. It's a great city and a great school. I don't have any first hand experience with the OB/GYN program but I've heard nothing but good things and UW Hospital has a good reputation. I haven't heard from them yet either, but I'm hoping to. I also applied to Minnesota and have not heard from them. I knew a two who applied to UM last year. They had differing opinions about the program, one ranked it at the top of her list. Both cited having to rotate through 5 different hospital as the worst part of the program.

Good luck to everyone with their interviews.

I submitted my application in mid-september and initially received interviews but I have definitely noticed a lull lately. Average basic science grades, good clinical grades, Step 1:209.

University New Mexico
U of Cincinnati
U of Indiana
Lutheran General Hospital (north chicago)
Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston
Kaiser Oakland
UC Davis

Emory, Colorado, and Brigham and Women's all emailled to let me know they have received my app but no interviews there yet. No rejection yet either. Anyone here from UW Madison yet?

So, I called the program coordinator at UW Madison to ask about their interview dates, and just incase anyone else is an obsessed freak like me and likes noting these things on their calendar "just in case", they are:
Nov 21, 28
Dec 2, 12,16
Jan 9

She said they will probably start emailing invitations for interviews at the end of this week.

CopperT said:
I went to undergrad at UW Madison and I'm applying for residency there. It's a great city and a great school. I don't have any first hand experience with the OB/GYN program but I've heard nothing but good things and UW Hospital has a good reputation. I haven't heard from them yet either, but I'm hoping to. I also applied to Minnesota and have not heard from them. I knew a two who applied to UM last year. They had differing opinions about the program, one ranked it at the top of her list. Both cited having to rotate through 5 different hospital as the worst part of the program.

Do you have any advice about cheap flights to Madison? I'm from Oregon, and it seems really expensive/difficult to get to Madison on the major airlines. I'm trying to figure out how I might bundle an interview in Madison with either Chicago, Minneapolis or Pittsburgh... Or, alternatively, fly there from either the bay area or Los Angeles.

ShambhalaRed said:
Do you have any advice about cheap flights to Madison? I'm from Oregon, and it seems really expensive/difficult to get to Madison on the major airlines. I'm trying to figure out how I might bundle an interview in Madison with either Chicago, Minneapolis or Pittsburgh... Or, alternatively, fly there from either the bay area or Los Angeles.
Speaking of which, i know this is getting off topic but it sounds like we're all going to be flying alot. Anyone know any good credit cards that give freq. flyer miles? I'm budgeting $4000 for interview travel/hotel/car etc and would love to convert some of these expenses into additional miles.

I got an invite from UNC yesterday by email.

ShambhalaRed said:

I've never actually flown from Madison because the flights are so expensive. I usually fly out of milwaukee or chicago and chicago is almost always the cheapest. If you do schedule an interview in chicago and madison around the same time, consider renting a car. Madison is about 2hrs from chicago (4.5hrs from minneapolis), renting a car w/unlimited mileage would probably be cheaper than flying to madison. If you do not get interview in the surrounding area at the same time, consider flying into milwaukee for cheaper rates. The Badger Bus (www.badgerbus.com) travels from the milwaukee airport, Mitchell, to the UW Madison Campus for $32 round trip. I've noticed that flights from SanFrancisco tend to be a little cheaper. None of these options are great but they might save you some money. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ohbee gin said:
Speaking of which, i know this is getting off topic but it sounds like we're all going to be flying alot. Anyone know any good credit cards that give freq. flyer miles? I'm budgeting $4000 for interview travel/hotel/car etc and would love to convert some of these expenses into additional miles.

www.studentuniverse.com has some good deals on flights, if you haven't already checked it out.

BigHandsMan said:
Interviews so far:

Hopkins
Wash U
Emory
MUSC
Magee/U Pitt
U. Kentucky
Good Samaratin (Cincinnati)

Got UNC and UAB yesterday

Invites from UCONN & UMASS today.

I have a number of interviews at this point and Dean's Letter has not even gone out yet. For those of us that applied to a billion places, how many interviews do you think you will go on?

i have 10 scheduled out of 14 invites. may make a couple more out of the 14..but, i am thinking 10 is enough unless some more of my close to home programs give me an invite. if i get more in CA (basically all driving distance, so just costs gas money and not much time) i will go to them for sure. i think 15 or so would be my maximum

neilc said:
i have 10 scheduled out of 14 invites. may make a couple more out of the 14..but, i am thinking 10 is enough...
yeah, ive realized i applied to WAY too many programs. no transcripts, no deans letter, and ive already book every friday through the season. it turns out all you really need is a penis and a good board score. strong work Y chromosome!

good board score? well, my step 1 was 192/78, and i still have invites. who needs board scores!??!?!?!

Hi I am new to the site. I, like many, have been reading the threads and finally decided to join. I am applying for OB/GYN. I wanted to know can anyone tell me more about the Dartmouth program?

DrBuzzLightYear said:
yeah, ive realized i applied to WAY too many programs. no transcripts, no deans letter, and ive already book every friday through the season. it turns out all you really need is a penis and a good board score. strong work Y chromosome!

Amen to that Y chromosome....

Hi, I am new to this forum. The interviews I have so far are:
Harbor UCLA
UC Davis
Cedars Sinai
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser LA
University of Chicago
Albert Einstein at Beth Israel (NY)
Mount Sinai
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson (Philly)

And I turned down Einstein in Philly and NY downtown hosp.

Do you know anything about Univ of Chicago?

cali_girl said:
Hi, I am new to this forum. The interviews I have so far are:
Harbor UCLA
UC Davis
Cedars Sinai
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser LA
University of Chicago
Albert Einstein at Beth Israel (NY)
Mount Sinai
Pennsylvania Hospital
Thomas Jefferson (Philly)

And I turned down Einstein in Philly and NY downtown hosp.

I too am fairly new to this site. Here are my interviews so far (I also applied to way tooooo many programs in fear of no interviews--ha!)

UC Davis
UT Southwestern
UTMB Galveston
UT Austin
Carolinas
Mayo Clinic- Rochester
Un. of Rochester
Wash U
Un. of NM
MUSC
Baystate
UMKC
IUPUI
VCU
Orlando Regional
Un. of Arizona
Like many people on this site, I am trying to hold out for a few more key places (and I still havent heard from over 1/2 of the places I applied). Myeras has been dry since friday :(. I am bracing myself for the first rejection. ugg

Good luck everyone!

community said:
I have a number of interviews at this point and Dean's Letter has not even gone out yet. For those of us that applied to a billion places, how many interviews do you think you will go on?

12 max.

Apparently 12 is the magic number of interviews. I have a hard time eliminating programs without knowing that much about them so I have scheduled 16 and am trying to pare down to 12 by November.

Received invites from George Washington and New York Presbyterian-Cornell today. My boyfriend's response was "That's the hospital in Seinfeld!" I'll try not to drop any Junior Mints in the OR while I'm there :laugh:

Also, had to write my first "thanks, but no thanks" email to a program today :( Anyone else feel weird about writing those emails?

Flea girl said:
Just received my first interview invite!!!! UTMB Austin. I am so excited! This process is totally crazy. I have definately become OCD since I have submitted! Good luck to everyone.
hi, fleagirl.
i have an invite there too? when is urs?
its my very first interview!!nervous! how about u?

Got an invite from George Washington Univ today.

Here is my updated list:
University of Virginia
University of Texas - Memorial Hermann
Baylor University - Dallas
Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte
University of Florida - Gainesville
University of Florida - Jacksonville
Orlando Regional Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson
Vanderbilt
University of South Florida
Bayfront Medical Center
MUSC
Wake Forest

daisyduke said:
Also, had to write my first "thanks, but no thanks" email to a program today :( Anyone else feel weird about writing those emails?

Tell me about it.... I need to write one to a program that I know I will not be able to go to, but it just seems strange....

newdoc2005 said:
hi, fleagirl.
i have an invite there too? when is urs?
its my very first interview!!nervous! how about u?

Hi Newdoc2005,

It is my first interview invite and interview. I am going there this Sunday :scared: . I am a bit nervous, but will let you know how it goes. Sent 2 thanks but no thanks emails today. Definately felt odd doing it. Keep wondering if it is going to bite me in the behind :laugh: . :laugh:

I got an interview from GWU today too.

I have sent 4 "thanks but no thanks" and have 1 more to send. It is a little weird. But I figure it is better to say no or cancel asap so that someone else can get the spot. It just goes to show that I applied to entirely too many programs.

obgyn06 said:
I got an interview from GWU today too.

I have sent 4 "thanks but no thanks" and have 1 more to send. It is a little weird. But I figure it is better to say no or cancel asap so that someone else can get the spot. It just goes to show that I applied to entirely too many programs.
5 more (in two days time, then nothing):
Carolinas
U Conn
Kentucky
UCSF Fresno
Phoenix Integrated
So that makes 15 invites, 14 scheduled and one thanks but no email which I keep putting off because I hate to write it.
Funny, we are all so nervous about being rejected - we feel bad when we are the ones to say no. Just goes to show..we've got heart! :) I'll write it asap - good point - let them fill that spot with someone else.

Hey guys quick question...

One of my friends who's doing ENT is e-mailing programs she hasn't heard back from yet and saying, "I'm really interested in your program, I would like to know when you extend interview invitations to applicants" I know ENT is very competitive, but was just wondering what you guys thought about doing this for bigger ObGyn programs?

Thanks guys:)

ObGyn <3 said:
I think as long as you only send it to the one or two at the top of your list, it's fine.
I sent one like that to a program I am very interested in (top of my list) after I got an invite from another program that is very close geographically to it, and thought - what the heck! I got an invite a couple of weeks later - don't know if this is concidence or if it actually helped.
I think sincerity is the name of the game here, don't do it unless you are really interested in that program. :)

this thread would be infinitely more useful if people would sack-up and post their vitals (boards, grades, class rankings, etc).

DrBuzzLightYear said:
this thread would be infinitely more useful if people would sack-up and post their vitals (boards, grades, class rankings, etc).
OK, why don't you start us off then...

step I: 253
M2 grades: 10 H, 1 HP
M3 grades: 4 H, 1 HP, 1 P
class rank: top 20%
Senior AOA

Invites scheduled:
Oakwood Hosp--Dearborn, MI
Beaumont Hosp--Royal Oak, MI
Grand Rapids/Spectrum Health--Grand Rapids, MI
UMich--Ann Arbor, MI (my home school)
UNC
Beth Israel Deaconess
UPitt
UWash
Brown

Got an invite from Cornell today. Think I am going to turn this one down, as well as Vandy. Waiting to hear from Columbia and Duke, but unsure as to whether I will schedule.

Hoping to get invites from OHSU and Brigham, then I will have scheduled 11, which is plenty for me.

UNM
UTMB- Austin
UTMB- Galveston
UTHSC San Antonio
UT Houston- LBJ
Adding: Exempla St Joseph (Denver)

I am an osteopathic student. Very few of us have AOA and I am not one of them :( My school also does not do honors due to some problems with cheating in the past (boo). Top 30% in my class. My Step 1 USMLE was 224 and COMLEX Step 1 was 617/91st percentile. I have a research publication and I did a rotation in ID at the NIH in July. Not too shabby, I think. I am annoyed that I haven't heard from the 2 Phoenix programs yet.

I'm currently on visiting sub-I at UCSD in gyn onc. As of day 3 on the service, it's fantastic here. The residents all get along well and seem very happy. Residents round between 7:00 and 7:45 it seems, depending on what service they're on. Everyone is super nice and helpful. There are 3 other visiting sub-I's (postpartum, perinatology, and REI), and they all seem to have similar feelings. The attendings are all very approachable as well, even the program director. I have my first call on Friday night, so we'll see how it goes. Hope I get an interview here... We shall see. It's all so... uncertain for me, being a DO student. It's risky for me to apply to programs who aren't traditionally "DO friendly." But I hate just accepting that, ya know? Nothing to lose and all that.

Anyway. Must go review anatomy. Again. Will try and recheck e-mail tomorrow. It's hard to get to Starbucks every day when you don't have internet where you're staying! ;)

DrBuzzLightYear said:
What does "sack-up" mean, anyway?

Boards: 219 Step 1, 222 Step 2
Grades: I try to block out the details, but clinical years I have three "Honors" and the rest "Near Honors", one "satisfactory" (my school is on a scale of honors, near honors, satisfactory, marginal and fail)
Class Rank: lower half (arrrghghgh! Well, we can't all be in the top 10% :( )

MD/MPH combined degree student

Interviews so far:
UWashington
Hawaii
UNM
Kaiser Santa Clara
Dartmouth
Utah
Beth Israel Deaconess
UMinnesota

Really hoping for interviews at Pitt, Colorado, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD and Stanford, but who knows what will happen with my dismal class rank... :(

Oh well, good luck guys...Nov 1 gets closer everyday!

I am DO student as well. No USMLE for me, just COMLEX (a bit above the average). Got put on bed rest for preeclampsia the day after COMLEX, and 2 days before I was supposed to take USMLE. I never was able to bring myself to study for that after I had my baby. I think that has probably hurt me at some places. Top 20% in my class. Honors are almost impossible at my school, you have to write a publishable paper, get at least 90% from your attending on your eval, and score 90% or above on the post test (our school's version of a shelf exam). Needless to the paper thing got me. Have 1 1/2 years of research at NIH in ID. One first author publication, out this summer, another pending. Applied to a whopping 45 programs, was afraid that I would not get any interviews :laugh: . 20 invites and 1 rejection. I am sure I am not getting interviews at least 10 of the programs I am waiting to hear from, they were reaches. My only beef is that why do we have to send the programs the "Thanks, but No Thanks" email, when a lot of the programs will not even send us a rejection letter?

step 1 192
step 2 234
all honors, top 5% of class
IMG
some research, one conference presentation