Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UMAPsych said:
I applied to Drexel as well and have not heard anything. I contacted the school last week and they said that invitations would be extended through the middle of February. Is this true? Is there going to be more than one interview weekend?

I know the interviews are this Friday (2/10) and next Monday (2/13). I haven't heard about a second round so I highly doubt there is one.

Did you make sure the faculty members you applied to are taking students? There are a few faculty who aren't taking students this year and they normally don't put that on the website...you'd have to have emailed to find out. It's not that great of a system....

Members don't see this ad.

SaraL124 said:
I know some faculty were way behind with reviewing apps, so I won't say you should rule it out, although it is unlikely. Who did apply to work with?

I applied to work with Dr. Steven Platek. Think there is any chance? :)

butterfli73 said:
Those of you that interviewed at Temple this weekend, could you share some of your experiences with us? Hope the interviews went well!

Sure, I'll share...

There was a Thursday night social event at a local bar with the graduate students. It was fun and laid back. I felt fine in jeans at this particular event.

Friday, there was a pizza lunch/information session where the faculty each took turns speaking a bit about what he/she did. People either had their interviews right before or right after the lunch event. Interviews were a half an hour each. People met with 2 faculty members and 2 or 3 grad students. I found the interviews to be fine- they weren't out to trip you up or anything. Note, this was my first interview, so I can't fairly compare, but overall I thought it was a nice experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any body heard from University of North Carolina, University of Southern California. I have applied in cognition and developmental psychology respectively.

clinpsychgirl said:
Sure, I'll share...

There was a Thursday night social event at a local bar with the graduate students. It was fun and laid back. I felt fine in jeans at this particular event.

Friday, there was a pizza lunch/information session where the faculty each took turns speaking a bit about what he/she did. People either had their interviews right before or right after the lunch event. Interviews were a half an hour each. People met with 2 faculty members and 2 or 3 grad students. I found the interviews to be fine- they weren't out to trip you up or anything. Note, this was my first interview, so I can't fairly compare, but overall I thought it was a nice experience.

I agree. I had a great time, and the faculty and students I met were all really friendly and helpful. The interviews felt more like informal conversations--especially the interviews with the students. They seemed more like opportunities to have my own questions answered.

Cajal said:
I applied to work with Dr. Steven Platek. Think there is any chance? :)

I honestly have no idea because I have no contact with him. I know he took a PhD student last year, so you may want to find out if he is even taking students at all.

good luck.

waitingisnotfun said:
I emailed the program director, who said that invitations have gone out, but they won't be making any final decisions until the end of the month. So, it's possible, but very unlikely that we'd get in if we haven't gotten an interview already. such a bummer! that was my top choice!

That is among my top choices as well. I wonder if it was for the adult, child or health division. Which clinical program did you apply to?

PsychMode said:
That is among my top choices as well. I wonder if it was for the adult, child or health division. Which clinical program did you apply to?

Child clinical. you?

Did anyone attend the first of two dates provided for the UConn interviews? I am attending the Feb 10th session and was wondering if anyone who attended earlier had any advice...thanks

Has anyone heard from GW, URI, or University of Illinois Chicago? Thanks!

I received an offer today from Ohio State.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from Clark?

Georgia State University (clinical phd) will be calling or emailing people on Feb 14th and 15th to extend interview invites.

SaraL124 said:
I'm actually a current first year student at Drexel and I will be at the social on Thursday night. I don't think there will be faculty there so don't worry too much about what to wear. I would say business cas is probably safest. Like, black pants and a nice top for women, button down shirt/no tie for men. The social will be a happy hour at a local bar.

Are you staying with a student? What faculty are you interviewing with?
PM me if you want.

See you Thursday!

If I applied and have not been invited to this interview weekend does this mean I am rejected? Just trying to figure out where I stand with each school.

Is anyone applying to the clinical neuropsych program at CUNY Queens College? They do not conduct interviews, so I was wondering if anyone knew when to expect to hear anything, good or bad?????

psyresearch said:
Has anyone heard from GW, URI, or University of Illinois Chicago? Thanks!

UIC is having interviews on Feb. 24th. I received a call last week from the prof I'm interested in working with. I applied to the Community & Prevention Research division, but he said applicants to all divisions would be present that day. He also said that formal invitations would be going out (haven't seen mine yet), but that he wanted to make sure I reserved the date.

Also, in case anyone's interested, DePaul is having interviews on Feb. 17th. I wasn't invited, but I was waitlisted (which I think is pretty meaningless . . . but who knows?).

Good luck, everyone! I used to think the essays were the worst part, but clearly waiting is so much worse! :confused:

marny06 said:
Is anyone applying to the clinical neuropsych program at CUNY Queens College? They do not conduct interviews, so I was wondering if anyone knew when to expect to hear anything, good or bad?????

I believe they just started reviewing applications quite recently. I am taking classes there now as a nonmatric, and I too applied for the fall. I will try and find out from faculty members and grad students about when we can expect to hear anything and get back to you. Good luck!

Hey all. Finally my very first post here though I've been religously checking this post.

I just received email from Yale: Rejection!
They're sending a link to the online application, which takes you to the rejection letter. Kind of guessed when I didn't get any call up until now, but still hurts. :(

Has anyone heard back from U of Washington about the interview weekend after the phone interview? Wondering if I'm still on the list or not..

Good luck to y'all!
Wishing this waiting hell to be over..

got my first rejection notice today...well i didnt want to go to yale anyways :p

Two people beat me to it! Yale rejection e-mail, link to online application section, click on link, rejection letter.

Anyone hear anything from its Ivy sister Harvard? I don't think anything has been posted yet and I haven't heard about interviews.

PsychoEm said:
got my first rejection notice today...well i didnt want to go to yale anyways :p

I still think its weird that they don't interview- that sounds a little counterintuitive to me... and the whole not keeping assistant professors around for more than 5 years thing- that sounds a little chaotic.

clinpsychgirl said:
I didn't get in either. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have been considered... but it's all good.

I am going to check for my rejection from there, too. I didn't get an email yet.

PsychMode said:
I am going to check for my rejection from there, too. I didn't get an email yet.

Didn't Yale send the emails all at once?

indigobluej said:
Hey all. Finally my very first post here though I've been religously checking this post.

They're sending a link to the online application, which takes you to the rejection letter. Kind of guessed when I didn't get any call up until now, but still hurts. :(

Has anyone heard back from U of Washington about the interview weekend after the phone interview? Wondering if I'm still on the list or not..

Good luck to y'all!

I haven't heard from U of Washington after the phone interview either.

I haven't gotten a call from Yale and I'm still waiting for this rejection email.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

indigobluej said:

Good luck to y'all!

Heya,

I got the same rejection letter from yale, s we're in the same boat. At least they've told us clearly and early what to expect, I think that's best. U of Washington called me yesterday and I'll have a phone interview with them tomorrow. I'll tell you hiw it goes, but I don't think they stopped calling. fingers crossed!

deliutza said:
Heya,

I got the same rejection letter from yale, s we're in the same boat. At least they've told us clearly and early what to expect, I think that's best. U of Washington called me yesterday and I'll have a phone interview with them tomorrow. I'll tell you hiw it goes, but I don't think they stopped calling. fingers crossed!

Can someone post a link (or PM) to the Yale application status site? My e-mail is down and it's killing me. (I'm guessing its not the same Embark site, because that doesn't tell me anything except that it's been submitted).

i did a phone interview with UW and got invited to the interview weekend on the 24th and 27th. this is for child clinical, so i don't know if the different programs do it differently.

i got a call from a prof at the san diego joint program and will be there the 27th and 28th

anyone hear from northwestern?

positivepsych said:
Can someone post a link (or PM) to the Yale application status site? My e-mail is down and it's killing me. (I'm guessing its not the same Embark site, because that doesn't tell me anything except that it's been submitted).

http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/admissions/apply_online.html

this is it! it's the same as the embark site, and the decision is at the bottom of the page (there's another link way below saying view your decision... scroll down...). I've heard of people not getting the e-mail and still having a decision there, so look closely ;). Hope you got in!
Deliutza

caffeinebean said:
i did a phone interview with UW and got invited to the interview weekend on the 24th and 27th. this is for child clinical, so i don't know if the different programs do it differently.

i got a call from a prof at the san diego joint program and will be there the 27th and 28th

Congrats on your interviews! Which professor called you at San Diego? I also applied there and am waiting to hear from them. I was under the impression that they sent a letter by regular maill either way, but I guess not.

Wow, congrats on both!!

I did phone interview for U Washington (child clinical) last week, but didn't get the invitation yet. Maybe I'm out?!

I also got another rejection--what a day!!-- from SUNY Stony Brook. It was an email from a professor that I did phone interview with. Said it turns out that it's unlikely he'll be accepting any new student after all, due to funding problem. (BTW, I've heard that some professors cite funding problem as 'nice' way to rejection..who knows.)

What a day. I'd say one rejection is enough for a day.. But to look at the bright(?) side, at least waiting's over for those schools!

Anyone know what's going on with U of Illinois-Urbana Champaine or U of North Carolina??

I received an interview invitation to American University. The program secretary called me this morning and left a message. I have an interview there on 2/24/06. On their webpage it says they have two weekends for interviews. Anyone going their earlier?

caffeinebean said:

Congratulations caffeinebean! I had my phone interview recently and I'm still waiting.

I think I am going to have to take a break from this site. I can't handle the suspense of waiting and I'm developing a neurosis from checking this site so frequently.... ;) With regards to Yale, I checked the application/status website, logged in, and did not find a link to a decision or status other than "submitted." Believe me, I looked. I guess I will have to keep waiting.

PsychMode said:
Congratulations caffeinebean! I had my phone interview recently and I'm still waiting.

I think I am going to have to take a break from this site. I can't handle the suspense of waiting and I'm developing a neurosis from checking this site so frequently.... ;) With regards to Yale, I checked the application/status website, logged in, and did not find a link to a decision or status other than "submitted." Believe me, I looked. I guess I will have to keep waiting.

Yeah, I can't find anything on Yale's site either, and I got no e-mail or phone contact.

anyone else apply to loyola chicago's clinical track?

indigobluej said:
Wow, congrats on both!!

I did phone interview for U Washington (child clinical) last week, but didn't get the invitation yet. Maybe I'm out?!

I also got another rejection--what a day!!-- from SUNY Stony Brook. It was an email from a professor that I did phone interview with. Said it turns out that it's unlikely he'll be accepting any new student after all, due to funding problem. (BTW, I've heard that some professors cite funding problem as 'nice' way to rejection..who knows.)

What a day. I'd say one rejection is enough for a day.. But to look at the bright(?) side, at least waiting's over for those schools!

Anyone know what's going on with U of Illinois-Urbana Champaine or U of North Carolina??

================================================
Do you know if they are done extending phone interviews at Stony Brook?

I'm the 6th Yale rejection casualty here! On the bright side, though, the letter said they received over 8,000 applications!!!!! That made me feel MUCH better about the whole deal, even though I did have my fingers crossed.

Good news, however, I got interview invite #4 to University of Missouri- St. Louis (UMSL)! The interviews will be on March 10th.

So, I guess I can't complain too much about the day!

Congrats to all you others who are rocking this interview process! I saw that lots of you posted with news about interview invitations today!

caffeinebean said:

I met a girl last week who works in as an RA at Northwestern. She said that they only just started looking at applications.

Ratch1980 said:
I met a girl last week who works in as an RA at Northwestern. She said that they only just started looking at applications.

I also got a Yale rejection; probably the thing I've been most certain about in this whole process. I think the 8000 applications were for all of their graduate programs, not just clinical psychology.

hot4gradschool said:
anyone else apply to loyola chicago's clinical track?

I applied there too...did you hear anything yet?

indigobluej said:
Wow, congrats on both!!

University of Illinois-Urbana Champaigne has extended their invitation letters and UNC will be sending out in next couple of days. Well I received an email from a professor at UIUC and she said I will not be invited because funding limitation. I was pretty sure that will get into this program well things didn't work out for me.

Ratch1980 said:

Feinberg or Arts and Sciences?

IrishBug said:
I applied there too...did you hear anything yet?

I called there last week or the week before (you can see when by looking for other posts I've done), and the secretary told me they'd already sent some invites but weren't done. Interview dates are 2/17 and 2/24. I had thought for sure I wouldn't hear from Loyola because we're so close to those dates but then received this week two invites to other schools with the same dates. Now I don't know what to think, except that these schools are not much for giving a lot of notice to applicants!!

Cajal said:
I believe they just started reviewing applications quite recently. I am taking classes there now as a nonmatric, and I too applied for the fall. I will try and find out from faculty members and grad students about when we can expect to hear anything and get back to you. Good luck!

Thanks! It's tough enough waiting for an interview, but I think waiting for a yes or no without an interview might be even worse. Best of luck :)

clinpsychgirl said:
I didn't get in either. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have been considered... but it's all good.

Don't feel bad, everyone!!! I, too, got the boot from Yale. We should have a little "Yale is dumb because they don't want us" party, lol...

feuenglace said:
Don't feel bad, everyone!!! I, too, got the boot from Yale. We should have a little "Yale is dumb because they don't want us" party, lol...

did you just hear from yale today? i hadn't heard anything yet. i got the boot from colorado - letter in the mail, how warm! on a brighter note, i'll be at vanderbilt this weekend; if anyone else is going, let me know:)