Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a little off-topic, but I thought there might be some others lurking around wondering the same thing (plus, it's a free bump! 🙂).

Is anybody going to the get acquainted day this Saturday? I'm signed up but oh-so busy... I don't know if I will make it. How about everyone else... I know you're out there!

And good luck to those waiting to hear!!! :luck::luck::luck:

I'll be there. I'm looking forward to meeting some of my fellow classmates earlier than next August. The seminars they have set up don't seem too interesting but hopefully there will be a good turnout. *That reminds me...I need to find my schedule for that day.

Oh, and as always good luck to everyone on the waitlist. Its still early! Only April and they admit all the way to August. Keep those hopes high.
 
Got a wake-up call (literally) from Carolyn this morning, and the list moved at least one spot! Yay!:hardy:
 
Congrats!!!! 🙂 That's so exciting! I think you're the first person on sdn to get in off the waitlist. Let's throw you a virtual party!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got a wake-up call (literally) from Carolyn this morning, and the list moved at least one spot! Yay!:hardy:

Congrats, LuckySeven!

I have been reading these posts daily but didn't feel like I had much to contribute, so I haven't commented before. I've enjoyed seeing what everyone has to say every day, though, and I'm really excited for you!

I started out at number 28 on the IS list, so things aren't looking very good for me. Best of luck to everyone!
 
Aww, thanks everyone! Y'all are the best! 🙂

It is very exciting, I am planning on attending the getting acquainted day this Saturday so maybe I will see some of you there! Of course, we won't know each other from Adam, but still...PM me if you want to facebook😛

Curious Hippo, what are you talking about! They took 28 last year! And have gotten into the thirties several times in the last seven years. Chin Up! The movement has been decent so far this year, let's hope it keeps going!:luck:

Has anyone called to see if the IS list has moved more than one spot? It seems to have moved in multiples:luck:
 
Got a wake-up call (literally) from Carolyn this morning, and the list moved at least one spot! Yay!:hardy:

CONGRATS!!!! :biglove:

I am very happy for you! I will call in a bit to see how many the list has moved. At least one of us has gotten in so far...hopefully I will get to be your classmate next year! 😀

Good luck to the rest of you Iowa city hopefulls!!
 
I just called...and the IS list moved one spot. It's better than not moving at all!
 
Curious Hippo, what are you talking about! They took 28 last year! And have gotten into the thirties several times in the last seven years. Chin Up! The movement has been decent so far this year, let's hope it keeps going!:luck:

Thanks Lucky. The last few weeks of very little movement have been a bit disheartening, but I am still optimistic. Hopefully I'll see you in the fall!
 
Got a wake-up call (literally) from Carolyn this morning, and the list moved at least one spot! Yay!:hardy:

Congratulations!!! So you will be there Saturday too, that makes 3 of us so far... AKu (and everyone else), I wish you could be there! We will pass on any pertinent information... but I doubt there will be any.

No worries though, you'll be there for the important stuff, such as the white coat ceremony in august and, um, classes! 🙂
 
I am going to withdraw from Iowa very soon. I was accepted to UCSD yesterday (my top choice!!!!!!!).

I hope one of you gets my spot :luck::luck::luck: I'm OOS.
 
Thanks, AKu and Shooter- you're close, you should crash the getting acquainted day! That would be so fun, it would be great to have you there, shooter, you're getting really close! And AKu, almost to the single digits; we just need a few more awesome people like UCSB to let y'all in so we can rock next year's class together, waitlist style :luck:

In response to whether Carolyn calls everyone, I think I was a special case, because Carolyn knew I wanted to go to getting acquainted day and she wanted confirmation. Also, the deadline for setting up pre-M1 research is the 21st, and I have been working on getting a proposal together, and it would be kind of awkward to submit it if I wasn't actually admitted.

I think if any of you wanted calls, though, you could just ask and she would do it for you or else send an email. Iowa has been sooo great, I applied to a couple of schools where the admissions office was just full of real stinkers 😡

Here's to the list, keep on movin'!
 
Hey LuckySeven, Congrats!! I'm excited for you. Have fun at the "Get to know you day" thing. I wish I could be there too just to get another good look at the school. I'm sure an incredible weight has been lifted off your shoulders. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, AKu and Shooter- you're close, you should crash the getting acquainted day! That would be so fun, it would be great to have you there, shooter, you're getting really close! And AKu, almost to the single digits; we just need a few more awesome people like UCSB to let y'all in so we can rock next year's class together, waitlist style :luck:

In response to whether Carolyn calls everyone, I think I was a special case, because Carolyn knew I wanted to go to getting acquainted day and she wanted confirmation. Also, the deadline for setting up pre-M1 research is the 21st, and I have been working on getting a proposal together, and it would be kind of awkward to submit it if I wasn't actually admitted.

I think if any of you wanted calls, though, you could just ask and she would do it for you or else send an email. Iowa has been sooo great, I applied to a couple of schools where the admissions office was just full of real stinkers 😡

Here's to the list, keep on movin'!

I wish I could go to the "getting aquainted day" too! Hopefully there will be some ISers there that don't want to go to Iowa. 😀

And, I agree, Iowa has some very nice people working in the admissions office...especially Carolyn. She's a very sweet lady...

So, if I want a phone call if/when I get admitted, I can just ask?
 
I wish I could go to the "getting aquainted day" too! Hopefully there will be some ISers there that don't want to go to Iowa. 😀

And, I agree, Iowa has some very nice people working in the admissions office...especially Carolyn. She's a very sweet lady...

So, if I want a phone call if/when I get admitted, I can just ask?

Yes, ask! I don't see why not.

I received the fattypacket today, only it was actually three packets, with a bunch of info inside each one; one was the main acceptance packet, congratulating me but reminding me I had to pass a background check (hope they don't mind a speeding ticket or two), had to finish my course work satisfactorily, and all that legal jazz. Then there was one with information on getting acquainted day, student life, and housing. The third was general information about Iowa City and the University in general. They were all sticky and hard to open so I recommend that you invest in a letter opener, for when you get your own. 😀:luck:
 
Yes, ask! I don't see why not.

I received the fattypacket today, only it was actually three packets, with a bunch of info inside each one; one was the main acceptance packet, congratulating me but reminding me I had to pass a background check (hope they don't mind a speeding ticket or two), had to finish my course work satisfactorily, and all that legal jazz. Then there was one with information on getting acquainted day, student life, and housing. The third was general information about Iowa City and the University in general. They were all sticky and hard to open so I recommend that you invest in a letter opener, for when you get your own. 😀:luck:

Thanks for all the info Lucky!! 9 down...several more to go! 🙂
 
I started out #12 on the OOS alternate list and as of today (Friday, April 18th) I am #9 on the list.
 
Has anyone recieved an e-mail for waitlist updates yet (IS or OOS)?
 
The info on our future classmates:

In general, this year had record applications (quality and quantity), record number of interviews, and record stats. So it was a very competitive year! According to admissions.

Our class, in general (of the 110-120 who showed up) is about even with regard to gender ratio, with the females possessing a slight advantage. Also, unfortunately for the ladies, most of the accepted women were incredibly good-looking, and there were not too many hotties of the male persuasion 🙁
But there were a few. I took notes on my class list of possible lab partners for living anatomy😉 haha, j/k.

The vast majority of people I talked to (like two dozen or so, mostly ladies) were either married, engaged, or in a serious relationship. Boo!👎

People were still talking, a lot, saying things like, "how sure are you you're going to Iowa?" and there seemed to be a fair number of people, in state especially, who were still debating between Iowa and other schools. Good news for us IS WLers!

Don't feel like you missed too much, it was a fun and informative day, but nothing they won't cover in orientation this August; or that you couldn't find online (financial aid, housing, et al.) if you were so inclined.

Wish y'all could have been there, but the important thing is that you will be here this August for classes! :luck:

What do you think, Apricot, gwill, and all you other future Iowa M1s, were my overall impressions of our class accurate? PS what community are you in?
 
The info on our future classmates:

In general, this year had record applications (quality and quantity), record number of interviews, and record stats. So it was a very competitive year! According to admissions.

Our class, in general (of the 110-120 who showed up) is about even with regard to gender ratio, with the females possessing a slight advantage. Also, unfortunately for the ladies, most of the accepted women were incredibly good-looking, and there were not too many hotties of the male persuasion 🙁
But there were a few. I took notes on my class list of possible lab partners for living anatomy😉 haha, j/k.

The vast majority of people I talked to (like two dozen or so, mostly ladies) were either married, engaged, or in a serious relationship. Boo!👎

People were still talking, a lot, saying things like, "how sure are you you're going to Iowa?" and there seemed to be a fair number of people, in state especially, who were still debating between Iowa and other schools. Good news for us IS WLers!

Don't feel like you missed too much, it was a fun and informative day, but nothing they won't cover in orientation this August; or that you couldn't find online (financial aid, housing, et al.) if you were so inclined.

Wish y'all could have been there, but the important thing is that you will be here this August for classes! :luck:

What do you think, Apricot, gwill, and all you other future Iowa M1s, were my overall impressions of our class accurate? PS what community are you in?

Thanks so much for all this information Lucky! You are always so helpful, and I really appreciate it. 😀

I think it's really funny that a lot of the girls were attractive. It's a good thing I'm engaged and won't be looking for an eligible bachelor in medical school...because it sounds like I would be SOL...hahaha. Also, hopefully many of the ISers debating between Iowa and the other schools go somewhere else. That would be fantastic! 👍

Us waitlisters should be hearing status updates next week, I would imagine. Let's hope it moves some more!! :luck: :luck:
 
It seems that those of us waitlisted should feel relatively good about it considering the competitiveness of this cycle. It sounds like it was brutal this year!
 
The info on our future classmates:

In general, this year had record applications (quality and quantity), record number of interviews, and record stats. So it was a very competitive year! According to admissions.

Our class, in general (of the 110-120 who showed up) is about even with regard to gender ratio, with the females possessing a slight advantage. Also, unfortunately for the ladies, most of the accepted women were incredibly good-looking, and there were not too many hotties of the male persuasion 🙁
But there were a few. I took notes on my class list of possible lab partners for living anatomy😉 haha, j/k.

The vast majority of people I talked to (like two dozen or so, mostly ladies) were either married, engaged, or in a serious relationship. Boo!👎

People were still talking, a lot, saying things like, "how sure are you you're going to Iowa?" and there seemed to be a fair number of people, in state especially, who were still debating between Iowa and other schools. Good news for us IS WLers!

Don't feel like you missed too much, it was a fun and informative day, but nothing they won't cover in orientation this August; or that you couldn't find online (financial aid, housing, et al.) if you were so inclined.

Wish y'all could have been there, but the important thing is that you will be here this August for classes! :luck:

What do you think, Apricot, gwill, and all you other future Iowa M1s, were my overall impressions of our class accurate? PS what community are you in?

This assessment seems pretty accurate. I also noticed that there were a lot of good looking girls! I honestly wasn't checking out the guys much (I'm taken). I guess I was paying more attention to the girls because I'm more likely to befriend them. I think there may have been a little slant toward women there, maybe 60-40, but I'm sure it's because not everyone came. I also talked to a lot of people in relationships, and more OOS-ers than I'd expected. I talked to a few who were still deciding, which was strange for me - I'd assumed everyone was as stoked as me to be in!! 🙂 But the day was great, Dean Cooper told an akward but hilarious story about the scrotum, and all in all our class seems great! Everyone seemed pretty laid-back and happy to be there. So :luck: to everyone still waiting! Hope to see you in August!
 
Also, more girls could have attended because I think networking is more of a lady thing to do, in general. I know some guys who are like, "yeah, I'll show up the first day and just rock at everything." and I am more kind of wanting to get a feel for the temp of the pool, as it were, before I plunge in headfirst.

Seriously, every girl I talked to was taken! Less than half the guys were, but I didn't chat with very many. There weren't that many I wanted to talk to...but I'd take a nice, homely boy over an attractive but arrogant one any day! Character is way more important in my book.

Um, I was a little shocked to hear Dr. Cooper wax poetic on the sack (his word not mine!) for like 5 minutes in that beautiful banquet setting. It was funny but a little uncomfortable. I was kind of expecting to see a scrotum logo on the back of the T-shirts we got...

My favorite part was that I was THE last person, the lowest ranked, to attend the session, but for all anybody else knew, I was the first to be accepted in early decision! Although I did tell the mayor of my community, who asked me if I had found an apartment yet; "um, I got my acceptance letter on Thursday." :laugh: But there were people there with lower scores, lower GPAs... admissions is such an interesting process, with the non-numerical stuff counting for so much! A 28 can be accepted and a 38 rejected; personality counts for a lot. And maybe, hotness? What I wouldn't have given to be a fly on the wall in that process!
 
Fair assessment by all. Some of the seminars were just a rehash of stuff you either have received in the mail or saw/heard on interview day. Some stuff was interesting though and the older med students were quite candid in their answers to our questions so that was nice.

As far as gender equality goes, I guess I didn't notice a ton more girls than guys (I'm a guy...so maybe I'm oblivious?) although one of the girls I spoke with mentioned that this totally seemed like more of a thing girls would do (as I was sitting with 5 other girls) Of course I agreed. It also seemed like the guys and girls segregated quite a bit...which is fine because it goes with the whole "med school is like high school" theme that I've been hearing.

BTW, I'm in Flocks. I'm still unsure of how prominent those communities will be in our lives on a daily basis, but still a fun concept. I'll look forward to getting advice from some of the older med students. Lucky, apricot, anybody else, which community?

P.S. The scrotum story was hilarious. Guy humor maybe? I just thought this isn't nearly as awkward as our first pelvic exam, or any of the other 1000 random things that could and probably will go wrong in the next 4 years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fair assessment by all. Some of the seminars were just a rehash of stuff you either have received in the mail or saw/heard on interview day. Some stuff was interesting though and the older med students were quite candid in their answers to our questions so that was nice.

As far as gender equality goes, I guess I didn't notice a ton more girls than guys (I'm a guy...so maybe I'm oblivious?) although one of the girls I spoke with mentioned that this totally seemed like more of a thing girls would do (as I was sitting with 5 other girls) Of course I agreed. It also seemed like the guys and girls segregated quite a bit...which is fine because it goes with the whole "med school is like high school" theme that I've been hearing.

BTW, I'm in Flocks. I'm still unsure of how prominent those communities will be in our lives on a daily basis, but still a fun concept. I'll look forward to getting advice from some of the older med students. Lucky, apricot, anybody else, which community?

P.S. The scrotum story was hilarious. Guy humor maybe? I just thought this isn't nearly as awkward as our first pelvic exam, or any of the other 1000 random things that could and probably will go wrong in the next 4 years.


Ahh, I am in Flocks too! There were 8 guys in our community on Saturday who will be matriculating this year. I circled their names. Several were from out of state...gwill, we met each other and didn't know it! :laugh:
 
I think the communities are mostly a place to put your stuff and hang out if you want to. They do a lot of events and stuff, so it seems like you can be as involved or not involved in them as you want. I know M1s and M2s that hang out in their SO's communities rather than their own, anyway. So probably not too important.
 
I must be the odd girl out.. but I thought the scrotum story was hilarious! I'm in Boulware...which someone in my community mentioned that it felt like we were in Harry Potter and getting sorted into our houses! Honestly, I was kind of overwhelmed by how many people there were on Sat. and while things were scheduled, it was still pretty random....must just be because I've been out of school for awhile!
 
Ahh, I am in Flocks too! There were 8 guys in our community on Saturday who will be matriculating this year. I circled their names. Several were from out of state...gwill, we met each other and didn't know it! :laugh:

Hmm...you can probably figure out who I am then if you have your class list:laugh: gwill has something to do with my real name. Shh...its a secret though. 😉
 
I must be the odd girl out.. but I thought the scrotum story was hilarious! I'm in Boulware...which someone in my community mentioned that it felt like we were in Harry Potter and getting sorted into our houses! Honestly, I was kind of overwhelmed by how many people there were on Sat. and while things were scheduled, it was still pretty random....must just be because I've been out of school for awhile!

flocks is totally Gryffindor....ok, maybe its hufflepuff.
 
Still no IS waitlist movement...grrrrrrrr. 😡

Deep breaths ... 🙂

I know it's hard to read all this stuff from the outside looking in, but that's no reason to start putting red faces all over the place. Plus, your eyebrows might stick like that, making it that much more difficult to compete with the rest of the supermodels in next year's M1.
 
flocks is totally Gryffindor....ok, maybe its hufflepuff.

Oh come on, we're totally Gryffindor! Or Ravenclaw, their common room sounds pretty sweet. Oh wait, all four communities look exactly the same

I am going to write Carolyn Murphy and ask her to put AKu and Shooter in Flocks so they can represent with us. Except I don't know who they are. Poo.🙂

Hang in there AKu! I have a good feeling about the waitlist, I think it's really going to move. It's moved 9 in two months, if it keeps going you should be in in five weeks! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
I was in McCowen. I thought the icebreaker was pretty cool and the info sessions for the most part worthwhile. The students all seem pretty happy about their decision to attend Iowa. I thought the day went well (although I stuck out in the crowd) I wonder if I'm the only pre-M1 who partied with M1s friday and saturday night. They are crazy fun!
 
Oh come on, we're totally Gryffindor! Or Ravenclaw, their common room sounds pretty sweet. Oh wait, all four communities look exactly the same

I am going to write Carolyn Murphy and ask her to put AKu and Shooter in Flocks so they can represent with us. Except I don't know who they are. Poo.🙂

I'm awesome at quidditch 🙂.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when they are going to send e-mails to the waitlisters?

I'm wondering the same thing. It was supposed to be the end of last week...I dunno...I'm so impatient, I'll probably just call. I'll keep you all updated.
 
I'm OOS and called yesterday to see if there was any waitlist movement since they last e-mailed me. The woman I talked to said no, it won't be updated for a couple of weeks when they officially drop people from the class and spots open up. I was sorta surpised bc I thought they were going to update us sooner.
 
I'm OOS and called yesterday to see if there was any waitlist movement since they last e-mailed me. The woman I talked to said no, it won't be updated for a couple of weeks when they officially drop people from the class and spots open up. I was sorta surpised bc I thought they were going to update us sooner.

Hmmmm...that's weird. I just called and was told that they'd send an e-mail by the end of this week. I'm instate though...maybe they'll be updating ISers and OOSers at different times?? Who knows!!

Btw...the IS waitlist hasn't budged since last Wednesday. C'mon May 15th!!
 
I got an e-mail saying I am #9 on the OOS waitlist still. I started out as #12...I haven't moved for about a month I think.