Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep...I just called and spoke with Carolyn and she told me the same thing. Last year the IS waitlist moved 7 spots in March, 7 in April, 9 in May and 5 in June (for a total of 28 spots). God...I'm going crazy. Lets all hope it moves that much, if not more, this year. :scared:

Let's hope it moves at least 29, cuz arb011 seems pretty cool, think I would like him (her?) as a future classmate!
 
I got used to the WL moving so fast in such a short period of time!! It moved 6 spots in two weeks! Now...I'm freaking out because it hasn't moved since then. Anyone else feel the same way? 😕

I keep wanting to call, but since I just called yesterday, there's no point. *sigh*

This whole waiting thing is going to give me grey hair. :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
🙂 wow, my first post....I decided to not be shy and join in. I am on the oos list. The OSS list seemed to move fewer spots than the IS this year; I moved only 2 spots...is this normal?
best wishes! 🙂
 
I got used to the WL moving so fast in such a short period of time!! It moved 6 spots in two weeks! Now...I'm freaking out because it hasn't moved since then. Anyone else feel the same way? 😕

I keep wanting to call, but since I just called yesterday, there's no point. *sigh*

This whole waiting thing is going to give me grey hair. :scared:



OH wow, no worries, you have such a great personality, Iowa has to to take you! waiting does suck, but it it's only April 4th.
:luck:
 
🙂 wow, my first post....I decided to not be shy and join in. I am on the oos list. The OSS list seemed to move fewer spots than the IS this year; I moved only 2 spots...is this normal?
best wishes! 🙂

You must be pretty high on the oos waitlist if you only moved two spots! (Of course, you only move up if someone ahead of you withdraws) I know the oos waitlist has moved much more bc I have moved up 20-some spots. Yeah... I'm a bit lower on the totem pole. Anyways, it sounds like you're in good position so just be patient and good things will happen.
 
Ok...so...I was just reading the Iowa waitlist threads for the past few years...and now I'm just more anxious than before!! It seems that in 2006 the list had only moved 1 spot in the first month. 😱 At least ours has moved more than that! It's difficult not to read that stuff when you know it's there, but it really did just make me freak out more...so I'll try to contain myself in the future.

On another note...I was out of town for the past week, so it was easy to keep my mind off things. Now that I'm back, I can't stop thinking about it again...yuck! Lets hope this damn thing moves some more next week!! This stagnant period is killing me...

Also (I can't stop thinking of things to write 🙂)...does anyone know when the Iowa FinAid packages will be coming out? I know in the past it's been mid-April...hopefully we can expect more WL movement after that!
 
Ok...so...I was just reading the Iowa waitlist threads for the past few years...and now I'm just more anxious than before!! It seems that in 2006 the list had only moved 1 spot in the first month. 😱 At least ours has moved more than that! It's difficult not to read that stuff when you know it's there, but it really did just make me freak out more...so I'll try to contain myself in the future.

On another note...I was out of town for the past week, so it was easy to keep my mind off things. Now that I'm back, I can't stop thinking about it again...yuck! Lets hope this damn thing moves some more next week!! This stagnant period is killing me...

Also (I can't stop thinking of things to write 🙂)...does anyone know when the Iowa FinAid packages will be coming out? I know in the past it's been mid-April...hopefully we can expect more WL movement after that!

Just keep holding on, AKu!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
Also (I can't stop thinking of things to write 🙂)...does anyone know when the Iowa FinAid packages will be coming out? I know in the past it's been mid-April...hopefully we can expect more WL movement after that!

I emailed someone in the fin aid office and she said they would start sending them out this week and they would come on a rolling basis throughout the month based on when you were complete with the process (FASFA etc)

BTW...Good luck to all who are on still waiting! I've been following the thread and hope everyone can get in.
 
I emailed someone in the fin aid office and she said they would start sending them out this week and they would come on a rolling basis throughout the month based on when you were complete with the process (FASFA etc)

BTW...Good luck to all who are on still waiting! I've been following the thread and hope everyone can get in.

Thank you for the info!
 
In 2006, the ISWL moved 1 spot in March and 1 in April. I don't think April is a big mover month, May is! But I wish it were May already so that darn thing would get going! :luck:
 
I just called Iowa and the list moved 2 more spots...(I'm now #14)

LUCKY...you're now #1 (assuming the whole list moved)!!!!!! 😱 You should call and verify...but I'm pretty sure congrats will be in order soon! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called Iowa and the list moved 2 more spots...(I'm now #14)

LUCKY...you're now #1 (assuming the whole list moved)!!!!!! 😱 You should call and verify...but I'm pretty sure congrats will be in order soon! 👍

Awesome! It's not looking too bad for all of us. Some of you won't have to wait too much longer. Keep going list, keep going!
 
Thanks for the heads up AKu! I wouldn't have called for a while, but when I read that I called too and I guess we all moved two spots. Thanks for posting! 🙂
 
Thanks for the heads up AKu! I wouldn't have called for a while, but when I read that I called too and I guess we all moved two spots. Thanks for posting! 🙂

YAY!!! You will soon have a reason to celebrate! :luck: Please post when you recieve a big fat envelope in the mail! 😀
 
by the way... I know of one person who is going somewhere else and hasn't told them yet... and I know one person on the waitlist who is also going somewhere else but hasn't told them yet. Whoo. Keep movin.

Hopefully they withdraw soon! Just out of curiosity, do you know the persons # on the WL?

Good luck to you! :luck:
 
C'mon waitlist move one more spot already so LuckySeven can get in...

I'm incredibly impatient, and I think I need a sedative or something else to calm me down...😳
 
C'mon waitlist move one more spot already so LuckySeven can get in...

I'm incredibly impatient, and I think I need a sedative or something else to calm me down...😳


Awww thanks AKu!!!! 😍 You are the best.

I haven't called admissions since Monday, I am just trying to be patient, I think it will be more fun if it's a surprise. Though my heart flutters every time my obnoxious golden retriever goes nuts and starts barking, then I hear the mailman open and close the mailbox...:scared:

No news yet though. Hang in there everybody!
 
Hmm I think the girl I know is like somewhere in the 5-10 range on the IS list at the moment. I want to contact her and see what she is doing and when but it's probably not appropriate! Ahh I am also feeling so impatient! I'm glad we have each other to understand 🙂

I also asked my friend who is going to Duke instead to let me know when he lets Iowa know. I'll keep everyone updated!

You guys rock! Hopefully we'll all get in 😀


Jooj86, you should bribe "Duke" with cookies or something to get him to email Iowa sooner rather than later 😉
Not that one more spot will make a huge difference....😛
Go, Duke, Go!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm I think the girl I know is like somewhere in the 5-10 range on the IS list at the moment. I want to contact her and see what she is doing and when but it's probably not appropriate! Ahh I am also feeling so impatient! I'm glad we have each other to understand 🙂

I also asked my friend who is going to Duke instead to let me know when he lets Iowa know. I'll keep everyone updated!

You guys rock! Hopefully we'll all get in 😀


Thanks for all the info!!! She's higher on the list than both of us...so that's great! Hopefully they both withdraw soon. I agree with Lucky...you should definitely bribe them...haha.

It is nice to be able to talk to people going through the same thing...good luck to you again! :luck: I really hope we can all be future classmates!!
 
Awww thanks AKu!!!! 😍 You are the best.

I haven't called admissions since Monday, I am just trying to be patient, I think it will be more fun if it's a surprise. Though my heart flutters every time my obnoxious golden retriever goes nuts and starts barking, then I hear the mailman open and close the mailbox...:scared:

No news yet though. Hang in there everybody!

Aww...thanks Lucky! You're really great too!!

Do they e-mail first...or just send a packet? Either way...I think I'll call Iowa again tomorrow. Do you want me to post if the list has moved? I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!

I know you'll be hearing very soon...and I'm getting excited for you! 😀

Oh and...Golden Retrievers rock!
 
Aww...thanks Lucky! You're really great too!!

Do they e-mail first...or just send a packet? Either way...I think I'll call Iowa again tomorrow. Do you want me to post if the list has moved? I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!

I know you'll be hearing very soon...and I'm getting excited for you! 😀

Oh and...Golden Retrievers rock!


AKu, I believe they send a packet via US Mail; no email, no telephone call. Just one happy fattypacket.
I'm not that serious about wanting it to be a surprise, I ended up calling late this afternoon (no movement) 😡 but it is so sweet of you to offer! I know you're going to make an awesome doctor.
You should definitely post, the sooner I know, the sooner I can make plans for the summer and beyond- there is so much to do!
Carolyn was sweet, as always, but reminded me that March and April movement is oh-so-abnormal, and not to expect much movement until May 15. Ahhh, depressing! 👎

Does anybody know anyone personally who is actually going to Iowa next year? The three people I knew (from my college and and from high school) did not get in. Two people I knew through other people (relatives of friends of parents) did not get in either.

One guy I know from Iowa undergrad who taught my Kaplan class got in, so I guess I know one person.
 
AKu, I believe they send a packet via US Mail; no email, no telephone call. Just one happy fattypacket.
I'm not that serious about wanting it to be a surprise, I ended up calling late this afternoon (no movement) 😡 but it is so sweet of you to offer! I know you're going to make an awesome doctor.
You should definitely post, the sooner I know, the sooner I can make plans for the summer and beyond- there is so much to do!
Carolyn was sweet, as always, but reminded me that March and April movement is oh-so-abnormal, and not to expect much movement until May 15. Ahhh, depressing! 👎

Does anybody know anyone personally who is actually going to Iowa next year? The three people I knew (from my college and and from high school) did not get in. Two people I knew through other people (relatives of friends of parents) did not get in either.

One guy I know from Iowa undergrad who taught my Kaplan class got in, so I guess I know one person.

Everyone I know personally either got waitlisted or flat out rejected. I think the pool must have been incredibly competitive this time around...it's always competitive, but I know of a few people with GREAT stats and EC's that didn't get in this year. So...I'm feeling at least a little fortunate to have been given a "decent" WL spot.

So...some SDN member posted a new thread about Iowa having a great match list...and I was thinking "Noooooo...don't do that...us waitlisters need people to withdraw!" 😉

I, too, called admissions yesterday because I was getting so antsy. I asked for the average number of people taken off the WL in April...she said April varies so much from year to year. Last year it was 7...the year before that only 1!! So...it's going to be difficult to predict what will happen for the rest of this month. Lets hope that it moves a least a few spots before April is over...Carolyn was, however, able to tell me that around May 15th typically 9-13 people are offered admission from the WL...so here's to hoping! C'mon list...MOVE!!
 
Oh yeah...arb011...do you know if the two people you were talking about earlier have withdrawn their acceptances yet?
 
Oh yeah...arb011...do you know if the two people you were talking about earlier have withdrawn their acceptances yet?

I'm not sure. i don't actually know those people personally; I just heard it through the grapevine that they were withdrawing their offer.

As far as knowing people who are going to Iowa, a guy from my home town who goes to the same undergrad as me got in during the rolling phase. Hopefully I get to be his and your classmate next year😕
 
Anyone know of any movement on the OOS waiting list?

Does anyone recommend a number to see what's going on with the OOS waitlist? (I want to call the really nice lady everyone speaks about..Carolyn?)

Otherwise, has anyone got word about the OSS WL?🙂
 
Not a lot of info on the OOS list, but my new friend from St. Louis who was number 1 on the OOS list as of 3/31/08 has not been accepted yet.

That list is sooo wack, because of all the internal movement, it seems as though those with lower numbers move less spaces than those higher up.

It would be a lot easier if Iowa had a website where we could just check our status!
 
thanks! that is really helpful to know. I am a little concerned about what people have posted in regards to movement. people have mentioned that the OSS list moved btw 50-100 spots, but does this mean 50-100 people give up their acceptances or does it include actual drops from the OSS list? I think it may be a little of both, but I honestly have no clue how this works. the IS waitlist seems to be a better list to be on in terms of actual seats being open. what do you guys think?:luck:
 
thanks! that is really helpful to know. I am a little concerned about what people have posted in regards to movement. people have mentioned that the OSS list moved btw 50-100 spots, but does this mean 50-100 people give up their acceptances or does it include actual drops from the OSS list? I think it may be a little of both, but I honestly have no clue how this works. the IS waitlist seems to be a better list to be on in terms of actual seats being open. what do you guys think?:luck:

Yes, it includes people who drop acceptances and people who drop off of the waiting list. So if they say that the waiting list moved 100 spots in a year, it means that everyone with numbers 1-100 was either accepted, or withdrew their application. In my opinion, it is better to be on the OOS list because it generally moves around 90 or 100 spots, whereas the instate list seems to move between 20 and 30.
 
It would be a lot easier if Iowa had a website where we could just check our status!

No kidding!!! This whole "e-mail every 3 weeks" thing makes it so that we have to call A LOT. I don't mind calling, but with everything being online these days, you'd think they'd have something on their website for waitlist movement.

As for the OOS WL thing...the only way to find out where you stand is to call or wait for the e-mail. Carolyn said she'd be sending one out next week sometime.

Good luck to everyone!! :luck:
 
No kidding!!! This whole "e-mail every 3 weeks" thing makes it so that we have to call A LOT. I don't mind calling, but with everything being online these days, you'd think they'd have something on their website for waitlist movement.

As for the OOS WL thing...the only way to find out where you stand is to call or wait for the e-mail. Carolyn said she'd be sending one out next week sometime.

Good luck to everyone!! :luck:


AKu, did Carolyn mention anything about sending an email update to in-state waitlisted students as well? Does either group get an email update more often? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Weekends are very hard: no one is in the office, so we can't find out if there has been any movement, and there is no mail on Sundays!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just called Carolyn, I haven't moved but that's not to say that nobody else has either due to internal movement🙁
 
AKu, did Carolyn mention anything about sending an email update to in-state waitlisted students as well? Does either group get an email update more often? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Weekends are very hard: no one is in the office, so we can't find out if there has been any movement, and there is no mail on Sundays!

Carolyn said she'd send e-mail updates for both IS and OOS waitlists sometime this week.

I called today as well...no movement for me either...🙁

I really hope it moves some more this month. I wish people would hurry up and withdraw. I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go by!
 
Does anyone recommend a number to see what's going on with the OOS waitlist? (I want to call the really nice lady everyone speaks about..Carolyn?)

Otherwise, has anyone got word about the OSS WL?🙂

The # you want to call is (319) 335-8052...you should be able to get a hold of Carolyn directly that way, though, it will be long distance for you since your OOS. If the long distance thing is a problem...look at your waitlist letter, both the phone numbers are on it, (at least I think I remember seeing them). Sorry I don't know the 1-800 number off hand. I hope this helps! :luck:
 
Is anyone else at all concerned that by the end of April, last year, the WL had moved 14 spots? It's only moved 8 so far...and there are only 2 weeks left in this month. :scared:

I'm really freaking out...
 
I know this is a little off-topic, but I thought there might be some others lurking around wondering the same thing (plus, it's a free bump! 🙂).

Is anybody going to the get acquainted day this Saturday? I'm signed up but oh-so busy... I don't know if I will make it. How about everyone else... I know you're out there!

And good luck to those waiting to hear!!! :luck::luck::luck: