Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also got an e-mail today (oos) and moved up 3 spots. Though I am still in the 60's which is the very bottom.
 
They sent out the IS e-mail as well...so they're still updating IS and OOS at the same time.

Good luck! :luck:
 
Hang in there AKu! I have a good feeling about the waitlist, I think it's really going to move. It's moved 9 in two months, if it keeps going you should be in in five weeks! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm getting very worried with the recent lack of movement. It's already near the end of April...and it's only moved a total of 9 spots. That's a lot less than last years movement by this time (14 spots). I know I'm being negative and venting out my frustrations...but I'm so scared and already approaching panic mode. :scared:

It's times like these that I really wish I could predict the future.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm getting very worried with the recent lack of movement. It's already near the end of April...and it's only moved a total of 9 spots. That's a lot less than last years movement by this time (14 spots). I know I'm being negative and venting out my frustrations...but I'm so scared and already approaching panic mode. :scared:

It's times like these that I really wish I could predict the future.

On the other hand, it's a lot more than 2006, where it only moved 2 in March/ April.
 
whoa, I was so busy with exams I nearly forgot! ya, no movement for OSS. but they mentioned by may 15th, everyone who holds a seat must drop all other offers, so at least we know when the list will really move. But I bet it would be a good idea to call a week before because I bet people will be dropping before then.
😉
 
I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't start freaking out until May 17th. Think about it ...

You have a good point. I've been trying to calm myself down...because I do realize that it's not even May yet.

But you have to understand that being in the single digits, you have a much better chance than I do at this point. In 2006 and 2007, they barely exceeded 13 people after April. Since I am right at the brink, I have a lot more to worry about than you do. My hope was to be down to about #10, or lower, by the end of April. That's definitely not going to happen...and I'm pretty bummed about it. 🙁
 
It's probably slow on the waitlist front now because everybody is dealing with final exams, papers, graduation stuff, etc. and not thinking as much about their acceptances. AKu, I'd wait until mid-May before you really start to worry, like Shooter said, since things will die down around then for everyone. (Here at Iowa our last finals are May 16, so you have awhile to go still! Keep the faith!) :luck:
 
AKu, as someone lower on the list than you, I feel exactly the same way. I was optimistic at first when the list moved a lot, but it's getting harder by the day. Try to remember that, in the last eight years, there have only been two years when #22 didn't get in, and the class size is bigger now than it was either of those other years, which means more accepted people who could potentially withdraw. I doubt I can say much that will make either of us feel better, but hang in there.
 
It's probably slow on the waitlist front now because everybody is dealing with final exams, papers, graduation stuff, etc. and not thinking as much about their acceptances. AKu, I'd wait until mid-May before you really start to worry, like Shooter said, since things will die down around then for everyone. (Here at Iowa our last finals are May 16, so you have awhile to go still! Keep the faith!) :luck:

Thank you for your optimistic words! 🙂

AKu, as someone lower on the list than you, I feel exactly the same way. I was optimistic at first when the list moved a lot, but it's getting harder by the day. Try to remember that, in the last eight years, there have only been two years when #22 didn't get in, and the class size is bigger now than it was either of those other years, which means more accepted people who could potentially withdraw. I doubt I can say much that will make either of us feel better, but hang in there.

I'm sorry if I made you feel any worse than you already did...

I know exactly what you mean...each day seems longer, and more difficult. I, too, felt very optimistic at first. Now, I'm just "blah" feeling...and this darn cloudy/rainy weather is definitely not helping me!

I guess all we can do is wait for mid-May...it seems that all I do is wait these days...(I know, I know, I'm wallowing in self-pity).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's almost May...so I was wondering if anyone knew when most WL movement happens. I would assume that it would be the first two weeks or so, but I read in another thread that many schools extend the May 15th deadline for people who are still debating between two or more schools. Does anyone know if Iowa does this?
 
It's almost May...so I was wondering if anyone knew when most WL movement happens. I would assume that it would be the first two weeks or so, but I read in another thread that many schools extend the May 15th deadline for people who are still debating between two or more schools. Does anyone know if Iowa does this?

I don't know if Iowa does that, but I do know that, at least at most schools, you only end up out $50 or so if you hold an acceptance past May 15 and turn it down later. So although everyone is supposed to decide by May 15, it doesn't seem that it always works out that way.

In other news, my mom went to a wedding this weekend and ran into a friend of ours who got in off the waitlist last year. He asked what number I am now, and when she told him 19, he said that he didn't get to 19 until May or June. I know that the numbers posted here said movement was finished by May, but he definitely didn't get in until July. (He started at #26 on the IS list, for what it's worth.) So who knows, but it at least made me feel a little better about things, and I thought I'd pass it along.
 
Here's some luck for May::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
Okay now that list better get going!
How many total did the list move in April?
 
How many total did the list move in April?

It's only moved 3 spots so far in April, and considering that there are only 2 days left in this month, I doubt much more movement will happen. 🙁

We can, however, hope it moves WAY more in May! Thanks for the well-wishes Lucky!!
 
I don't know if Iowa does that, but I do know that, at least at most schools, you only end up out $50 or so if you hold an acceptance past May 15 and turn it down later. So although everyone is supposed to decide by May 15, it doesn't seem that it always works out that way.

In other news, my mom went to a wedding this weekend and ran into a friend of ours who got in off the waitlist last year. He asked what number I am now, and when she told him 19, he said that he didn't get to 19 until May or June. I know that the numbers posted here said movement was finished by May, but he definitely didn't get in until July. (He started at #26 on the IS list, for what it's worth.) So who knows, but it at least made me feel a little better about things, and I thought I'd pass it along.

That makes sense that he didn't get in until July. Last year, they took 23 before June. And with him being #26...he definitely would have found out in July-ish.

Hopefully people start withdrawing soon, and don't ALL wait until the last minute. I know it moved 9 spots last May...but we need it to move more than that!
 
I know this was just discussed, but I have a question about the May 15 "deadline" and the waitlist. I'm #5 on the IS waitlist at Iowa right now, but I have been accepted at an out of state school, which needs my deposit by May 15 to hold my spot. I'm not concerned about losing my money in the deposit, but I was wondering how the system works if I've been accepted at the out of state college and paid my deposit and then come off of the waitlist at Iowa following May 15. Does paying my deposit essentially lock me in to that school or is Iowa still a possibility? Iowa is my top choice for a variety of reasons, but I just want to understand how everything works so I don't get locked in somewhere when there are other possibilities.
 
I know this was just discussed, but I have a question about the May 15 "deadline" and the waitlist. I'm #5 on the IS waitlist at Iowa right now, but I have been accepted at an out of state school, which needs my deposit by May 15 to hold my spot. I'm not concerned about losing my money in the deposit, but I was wondering how the system works if I've been accepted at the out of state college and paid my deposit and then come off of the waitlist at Iowa following May 15. Does paying my deposit essentially lock me in to that school or is Iowa still a possibility? Iowa is my top choice for a variety of reasons, but I just want to understand how everything works so I don't get locked in somewhere when there are other possibilities.

Iowa is still a possibility until you matricualte (attend the first day of class), so pay away and keep waiting! best of luck!
 
Ummmmm...it'd be really great if this list started moving again. I'm going insane. It hasn't budged for two weeks...YUCK!

Edit: Alright, so it did finally move!
 
Well...my prayers were answered! I woke up this morning with a weird premonition to call Iowa because I felt like I was going to get some good news. And...on the LAST day of April...the list moved 2 spots!!

RECAP:
I am now #11! In March the IS waitlist moved a total of 6 spots, and in April, it moved 5! That's not too shabby at all. Shooter...you are sooooooooo close! What a great start for the rest of the day!!! Alright...I'll calm down now...I better not get too excited, I'm not in yet...

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! :luck: :luck:
 
Happy day! :hardy: You're almost there AKU! (and everone else)

Now, if only the temperature would get to about normal...
 
Alright, finally some good news. May 15th is looking pretty good for most of you (shooter, Aku, etc). I, on the other hand, may have to wait a little longer, but that's fine with me. Only a couple more weeks for you guys!👍
 
Well...my prayers were answered! I woke up this morning with a weird premonition to call Iowa because I felt like I was going to get some good news. And...on the LAST day of April...the list moved 2 spots!!

RECAP:
I am now #11! In March the IS waitlist moved a total of 6 spots, and in April, it moved 5! That's not too shabby at all. Shooter...you are sooooooooo close! What a great start for the rest of the day!!! Alright...I'll calm down now...I better not get too excited, I'm not in yet...

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! :luck: :luck:

Woohooooooo! You are totally going to get in! I'd say, just start celebrating now! :hardy:
 
Alright, finally some good news. May 15th is looking pretty good for most of you (shooter, Aku, etc). I, on the other hand, may have to wait a little longer, but that's fine with me. Only a couple more weeks for you guys!👍

Hang in there! :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay! I am so happy for everyone! I wonder where all the in-staters are going; I mean come on, what's better than Iowa? Although I heard some ppl at GADay talking about how their financial aid packages from other schools made the total cost less than Iowa- let's hope they take the deal and keep that list going!

Happy May Day, by the way. :hardy:
 
Although I heard some ppl at GADay talking about how their financial aid packages from other schools made the total cost less than Iowa- let's hope they take the deal and keep that list going!

That's what I've heard through the grapevine too! Iowa doesn't usually offer great financial aid packages to ISers...but they give a lot of help to some OOSers, from what I gather. I was reading through an old Iowa thread a while back, and someone said that that's the main reason the instate WL even moves at all!

I agree with you Lucky! They should take the better deal! 👍
 
It just moved one more spot 👍

A friend of mine is going to Duke. YAY for him and YAY for us!!!!! 🙂
 
Great! Thanks for letting us know. 3 spots in 3 days, not bad at all! 👍
 
YAY!! Thanks for letting us know Jooj86!

Here's some more May luck...:luck: :luck: :luck:
 
So is this official movement or something we should anticipate. Just trying to keep track of my ever-changing number. 🙂 Keep it coming!
 
So is this official movement or something we should anticipate. Just trying to keep track of my ever-changing number. 🙂 Keep it coming!

Yes...it's official, I called to verify my number. The list has moved a total of 12 spots so far! Here's to hoping for more movement next week! 😀
 
This thread is getting burried...so I'm bumpin' it up...🙂
 
I don't get what it means when someone says stuff about bump or bump it up... can someone explain?

It just means that no one has posted on that thread in a while and it gets "burried"...i.e, gets pushed to page 2, 3, 4, etc. So you can bump if you want someone to respond to something...or if you just want to get the thread back to the first page so it gets noticed again. It's no big deal really, just some regular old internet forum lingo.
 
I called admissions today...mostly because I had questions about finaid stuff. But, I did talk to Carolyn about the IS waitlist as well. She said usually A LOT of people wait until the very last minute to withdraw. I would have thought there would be steady movement for the first two weeks of May. But she said not to expect much until the week of the 15th. Then again...you never know...I'll most likely call again on Friday, just to see. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All of you guys must be busy with finals. I think I'm one of the only people on this thread who has already graduated (2006). I feel old...😳 I almost wish I still had school to occupy my mind.

For those of you in the midst of studying...good luck with all of your exams!
 
All of you guys must be busy with finals. I think I'm one of the only people on this thread who has already graduated (2006). I feel old...😳 I almost wish I still had school to occupy my mind.

For those of you in the midst of studying...good luck with all of your exams!


I've actually graduated already too (May 2007). I feel old too even though I'm really not. I guess it's because I teach 18 and 19 year old college kids everyday. 🙄
 
All of you guys must be busy with finals. I think I'm one of the only people on this thread who has already graduated (2006). I feel old...😳 I almost wish I still had school to occupy my mind.

I graduated in 2005. I feel VERY old!
 
It's good to know that there are some other SDNers on this thread around my age (23). Now I don't feel so bad...🙂