You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Iowa Carver 2012 Status?
Started by hawkeye12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I finished finals today and I feel so relieved.Now I can focus on this waitlist business! I am glad to hear that the IS list moved so much! I hope the OSS moved a lot as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It does seem like there are fewer and fewer people who go to med school right after they graduate from undergrad....
Most likely because many people don't get in right out of undergrad...at least a lot of ppl I know didn't, myself included.
Aw, y'all are not old! And gwill, trust me, you didn't look older than anybody else at GADay. That Botox must be working! 😉
I think that 23 and 24 year olds are going to be just as common as those fresh out of undergrad. Personally, I am really grateful for a year of real world experience instead of the "standard" direct transition from one academic institution to another.
Congrats on the continued list movement! I'm rooting for you all!
I graduated in 2007, so have had a year since undergrad. However, this is because I didn't start taking med school prereqs until my junior year (I had wanted to be prelaw previously but some doctors talked me out of it).
I think that 23 and 24 year olds are going to be just as common as those fresh out of undergrad. Personally, I am really grateful for a year of real world experience instead of the "standard" direct transition from one academic institution to another.
Congrats on the continued list movement! I'm rooting for you all!

I graduated in 2007, so have had a year since undergrad. However, this is because I didn't start taking med school prereqs until my junior year (I had wanted to be prelaw previously but some doctors talked me out of it).
I think that 23 and 24 year olds are going to be just as common as those fresh out of undergrad. Personally, I am really grateful for a year of real world experience instead of the "standard" direct transition from one academic institution to another.
I totally agree...it seems that as the years have gone by, the average age of medical school matriculants has slightly increased. That's good for me...at least I won't feel too old.
I am also grateful for having time to work/do research before med school. On the other hand, I sort of feel like I've wasted two years of my life. I see both sides, I guess. I would have preferred to only take one year off, but in the long run, it probably won't make that much of a difference.
I am also grateful for having time to work/do research before med school. On the other hand, I sort of feel like I've wasted two years of my life.
AKu, I feel exactly the same way! I'm really glad I did research and spent some time doing a few other things, but now I'm really starting to feel like I've wasted years of my life. I really hoped to start med school last year, too, and now I kind of feel like I'm just in some frustrating holding pattern. I seem to be the oldest participant in this particular discussion, and after always being younger than most of my peers, it's kind of a weird change that I don't really like all that much. But oh well...
Anyway, there wasn't much point to this whole post, but it always makes me feel better about things when someone else says exactly what I'm thinking, so thanks! 🙂
Ummm ... so I just called Admissions ... and I'm #1! Whoever I talked to (she was very nice) said she was so busy working on the lists today that she hasn't had a chance to send out update emails. Maybe Monday?
That's 15 spots of IS movement ...
That's 15 spots of IS movement ...
Ummm ... so I just called Admissions ... and I'm #1! Whoever I talked to (she was very nice) said she was so busy working on the lists today that she hasn't had a chance to send out update emails. Maybe Monday?
That's 15 spots of IS movement ...
You beat me to it!
I just called too! Congrats on being #1!!! 😀 You definitely won't have much longer to wait. I'm sitting at #7 right now...so we'll just have to wait and see...
I have a quick question for those who got admitted or know this otherwise,
what do your final semester grades have to be if you got accepted?
I am not doing bad, but I was just wondering about the conditions of an acceptance (i.e. you have to make a B or above....) for Iowa?
what do your final semester grades have to be if you got accepted?
I am not doing bad, but I was just wondering about the conditions of an acceptance (i.e. you have to make a B or above....) for Iowa?
Wow, the list is moving pretty quickly. That long awaited May 15th date is just around the corner
*Crosses fingers for everyone*
As for academics, I'm pretty sure the company line is something like "maintain your previous academic performance..." As far as I know, there is no hard and fast GPA that you must keep, but I can imagine a situation where someone might lose their acceptance for failing their final year of college and not graduating (kind of duh). The decision seems to be at their discretion though.
Oh, and Lucky, you give me too much credit...I'm totally ancient (25 when I matriculate) I'll be the botoxed grandpa with white hair in the back of class
*Crosses fingers for everyone*As for academics, I'm pretty sure the company line is something like "maintain your previous academic performance..." As far as I know, there is no hard and fast GPA that you must keep, but I can imagine a situation where someone might lose their acceptance for failing their final year of college and not graduating (kind of duh). The decision seems to be at their discretion though.
Oh, and Lucky, you give me too much credit...I'm totally ancient (25 when I matriculate) I'll be the botoxed grandpa with white hair in the back of class

Wow, the list is moving pretty quickly. That long awaited May 15th date is just around the corner*Crosses fingers for everyone*
Oh, and Lucky, you give me too much credit...I'm totally ancient (25 when I matriculate) I'll be the botoxed grandpa with white hair in the back of class![]()
Yeah...lets hope more movement awaits us next week!

Don't worry about your age...I'll be 24 when I matriculate, if I get in this year. 😱 We can be the grandma and grandpa of the class! Although...I've been told I look relatively young. Age-wise, I suppose it's pretty difficult to distinguish between people in their twenties, so we should blend in with the crowd. We'll just have to hide our wrinkles with lots of make-up, and hide our white hair with loads of hair-dye! 😉
Does anybody know how much the OOS wait-list moved at this time last year? I think that would be the most meaningful statistic.
I started at #72 and my last email update was #53. I'm trying to figure out if that is slower than last year.
Peace
I started at #72 and my last email update was #53. I'm trying to figure out if that is slower than last year.
Peace
Anyone know if we are supposed to be getting another update soon?
Anyone know if we are supposed to be getting another update soon?
I would assume we should be getting e-mails at the end of the week since the May 15th deadline is on Thursday...when most WL movement should be happening.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be 24 when I matriculate, if I get in this year. 😱 We can be the grandma and grandpa of the class!
I'll be 26, if I get in this year...we can start a senior citizens' organization. 😉
The instate WL just moved another spot! Shooter........YOU'RE IN!!!!Congrats!!!!!!!!
#6 for me...
Great!! Congrats Shooter, and Aku, you are soooooo close! 👍
Congrats Shooter!
I'll be 26, if I get in this year...we can start a senior citizens' organization. 😉

Yay! Congratulations Shooter! AKu, and arb, you aren't far behind! I have a great feeling about this!


Thank you guys soooooooo much! I actually just got home last night, so my mom got to be with me when I called this morning to confirm 🙂. I think it's pretty fitting that AKu was the first one to tell me that I got accepted 😀.
I'm pulling for rest of you!
I'm pulling for rest of you!
Thank you guys soooooooo much! I actually just got home last night, so my mom got to be with me when I called this morning to confirm 🙂. I think it's pretty fitting that AKu was the first one to tell me that I got accepted 😀.
I'm pulling for rest of you!
I hope I didn't ruin the surprise for you...I figured you would've known already. I thought someone from admissons might have called you...? Congrats again, Shooter! Go celebrate!!!

On another note, when I spoke with Carolyn this morning she said that last year quite a bit of movement in May happened AFTER the 15th. She said it's impossible to know exactly what will happen...but she, for some reason, predicted that the movement would be "slower" now. Maybe because we've had a decent amount of movement thus far this month...😕
I don't know...I guess I'm just freaking out as usual. I'm sure you guys are used to me by now!
Does anybody know how much the OOS wait-list moved at this time last year? I think that would be the most meaningful statistic.
I started at #72 and my last email update was #53. I'm trying to figure out if that is slower than last year.
Peace
I believe the waitlist has moved between 80-100 people for the last 5 years. I know this year they over-accepted out of staters and that's why the list hasn't moved very much as of yet (they're still working their way through the over-acceptance list). They may always over-accept though, I'm not sure.
I think I have actually lost my mind...this waiting game is going to have me institutionalized! I could really use a heavy-duty narcotic right about now...😱
How are the rest of you instate WLers doing? May 15th is just around the corner and I really hope it moves more...*fingers crossed*
How are the rest of you instate WLers doing? May 15th is just around the corner and I really hope it moves more...*fingers crossed*
I believe the waitlist has moved between 80-100 people for the last 5 years. I know this year they over-accepted out of staters and that's why the list hasn't moved very much as of yet (they're still working their way through the over-acceptance list). They may always over-accept though, I'm not sure.

I am in the same boat as you. I moved two spots officially and that was it. So I hope by Thursday things will change. I decided to wait and not call until the end of this week. I was wondering, where did you hear that they over accepted? is your source Iowa? I don't think we should lose hope!! There is still time before med school begins in Iowa! Best wishes to all of you and congratulations to those who recently got in!🙂
Hey all,
I just withdrew my OOS acceptance today. I LOVE the Iowa CCOM but got a better financial aid package from a comparable school. Good luck to all of you who are moving up the waitlist!
I just withdrew my OOS acceptance today. I LOVE the Iowa CCOM but got a better financial aid package from a comparable school. Good luck to all of you who are moving up the waitlist!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I have been following the madness on here for a while and finally decided to join. I am currently #6 on the in state waitlist. The movement appears to be well behind last year. How is everyone else feeling out our chances?
Hey I have been following the madness on here for a while and finally decided to join. I am currently #6 on the in state waitlist. The movement appears to be well behind last year. How is everyone else feeling out our chances?
Last year, by the end of May, the IS waitlist had moved 23 spots. It's moved 17 so far...but, there are still two weeks left in May. It might move more this month, you never know! I'm sitting at #5 right now and, honestly, I don't know how I feel about my chances. Sometimes, I feel good about it, and other times, not so good. The hardest thing about it is that it's so unpredictable, so we have no clue what could happen...
Carolyn did say that last year there was quite a bit of movement in May even after the deadline on the 15th...so...here's to hoping!!

Does anyone know if there is usually substantial movement actually on the 15th?
Here's to hoping!
For those of you keeping tally at home, you can chalk up another OOS withdrawal today. I really loved Carver, but I ultimately chose a school closer to home.
Good luck everyone!
Yee-haw!!!
may 15th is a good day.
Does anyone know if there is usually substantial movement actually on the 15th?
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure...but I do plan on calling today. PLEASE let there be some movement...

Aku post it on here if there is movement...I'm not calling until tommorrow. I hope there is some today AND tommorrow!
Aku post it on here if there is movement...I'm not calling until tommorrow. I hope there is some today AND tommorrow!
I most definitely will!!
Here's some more May 15th luck for all of us...

I hope it keeps moving! I might break down and call this afternoon...thanks for the update.
I hope it keeps moving! I might break down and call this afternoon...thanks for the update.
Carolyn actually told me it might be a good idea to call back again late in the afternoon. So I think I will around 4:00 or so. I guess since it is the 15th, it's possible for it to move more today.
Geez...I post on this Iowa thread so obsessively. Of my 260 posts, like 200 are probably on here! 😱 What can I say? I'm crazy about Carver!
AKu, if you would like a break, I'd be happy to call.
Aku you are one step ahead of me I just called and was getting on here to post...I am #3. Carolyn said she has been suprised by the movement. Lets hope there is more movement yet this afternoon, and tommorrow morning!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really hope the IS list moves a couple more spots before the weekend so AKU can spend it celebrating instead of worrying! He/she deserves it, just based on the dedication to this thread for so many weeks. Good luck!
I really hope the IS list moves a couple more spots before the weekend so AKU can spend it celebrating instead of worrying! He/she deserves it, just based on the dedication to this thread for so many weeks. Good luck!
(I'm a she...😀)
Thank you so much!!! How is the OOS waitlist movement?? No one has posted about it all day...so I figured I'd ask. I'm sure there's been some movement!
One more thing I forgot to mention earlier...Carolyn also said that she was going to wait until next week to send WL e-mail updates because there are still a "number" of people who haven't told them their decision yet (both IS and OOS).
Lets all keep our fingers crossed for more WL movement. Good luck everyone!!!

(I'm a she...😀)
Thank you so much!!! How is the OOS waitlist movement?? No one has posted about it all day...so I figured I'd ask. I'm sure there's been some movement!
One more thing I forgot to mention earlier...Carolyn also said that she was going to wait until next week to send WL e-mail updates because there are still a "number" of people who haven't told them their decision yet (both IS and OOS).
Lets all keep our fingers crossed for more WL movement. Good luck everyone!!!![]()
I wonder how many "a number" is. Let's hope a lot.
There hasn't been any IS movement today. Have a great weekend, everybody!
just to let fellow OSS kids know, the OSS WL moved 1 spot officially as of today. A really really sweet women named Carolyn mentioned she is still resolving candidates with multiple acceptances so there is a high chance that by next week, we will see much more movement. best wishes to everyone and I hope you have a wonderful sunny summer weekend!!!!
🙂
🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 816
- Replies
- 34
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
Congrats!!!!!!!!