Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am able to open my ISIS account and look at my admission profile, still nothing about Medical School. I live in Iowa city and my mail comes about noon so I will let you know if there is any news then.
 
hey, i'm currently a 3rd year at iowa and several of my friends are on the admissions committee. just wanted to let you know that they met yesterday over lunch, so i'd assume acceptance/waitlist/rejection letters will be mailed today.
 
ACCEPTED!!!!!

One of the best days of my life! Iowa has been my first choice!

News is comming everyone, Letters were postmarked yesterday, I live in Iowa city so it only took one day, but everyone should be finding something out soon.. Good luck to all, and congrats to those who make it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACCEPTED!!!!!

One of the best days of my life! Iowa has been my first choice!

News is comming everyone, Letters were postmarked yesterday, I live in Iowa city so it only took one day, but everyone should be finding something out soon.. Good luck to all, and congrats to those who make it.

Hey congrats bud. That's pretty sweet that you get to go to your #1 school. Looks like you'll be a hawkeye for another 4 years.
 
ACCEPTED!!!!!

One of the best days of my life! Iowa has been my first choice!

News is comming everyone, Letters were postmarked yesterday, I live in Iowa city so it only took one day, but everyone should be finding something out soon.. Good luck to all, and congrats to those who make it.

CONGRATS!!!! I'm glad the first post was an acceptance instead of a rejection. I hope those acceptances keep on coming!
 
I'm #22 on the instate waitlist......ugh! Anyone know how this will go?? I know it varies considerably from year to year.
 
omg it's so hard to read this..I'm sitting at work hoping the mailman will have been there by the time I get there! I don't want to be the girl stalking the mailman!! 😀
 
A friend of mine got in from the IS waitlist last year; he was in the "twenties or thirties" (sorry, that's the best I could find out). He did, however, have to wait until July ...
 
ACCEPTED!!!!!

One of the best days of my life! Iowa has been my first choice!

News is comming everyone, Letters were postmarked yesterday, I live in Iowa city so it only took one day, but everyone should be finding something out soon.. Good luck to all, and congrats to those who make it.

Congrats! :hardy:

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

I'm nervous! :scared:
 
WOW! The day of reckoning has come! I'm in Iowa City but my mail doesn't come til 3:15 and I won't be able to check until after my biochem test at the same time anyway - bad timing!!! Congrats on all who were accepted and probably to those who were waitlisted too, I know they usually go down pretty far into it though I can't give exact #s. Back to last minute glycolysis stuyding!
 
I am able to open my ISIS account and look at my admission profile, still nothing about Medical School. I live in Iowa city and my mail comes about noon so I will let you know if there is any news then.


CONGRATS on the acceptance! I was just wondering, does your ISIS or ICON show anything yet???
 
CONGRATS on the acceptance! I was just wondering, does your ISIS or ICON show anything yet???

Still nothing listed on ISIS, looks like that is a dead end as of right now. Just going to have to wait for the letters. For those who were waitlisted I think you have a pretty good chance. I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I remember reading that the last 4 years of In state waitlist numbers were 15, 21, 31, 32, or something very close to that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called admissions, and for the last three years apparently 32ish (it was a low 30 number, I don't remember if it was exactly 32), 17, and 28 in-staters have gotten off the waitlist. Hope this helps.
 
Still nothing listed on ISIS, looks like that is a dead end as of right now. Just going to have to wait for the letters. ...

Wow, I am really glad you said that! I was starting to go into panic mode since there's nothing on my ISIS either... gahhh I need some valium or something over here!
 
Congrats to all who have had an acceptance. Good luck to those who are on the waitlist or still waiting to read their letters.

To those who have heard and are definitely going to go to Carver, are any of you planning to attend the April 19th get together? (Not to highjack the thread but this seems the most likely place to get a response)
 
#25, right down there with you. I foresee a nerve-racking summer. 😱

Yeah....it's really irritating. It's better than a rejection...but it's such a limbo because it varies so much from year to year. God I hope a lot of instaters got into other places that they'd rather go! Good luck!!

Oh yeah...and if you're on the waitlist above #22 and don't want to stay on it...please withdraw... 🙂 Then my icky number can go DOWN!!!
 
ACCEPTED!!!!!

One of the best days of my life! Iowa has been my first choice!

News is comming everyone, Letters were postmarked yesterday, I live in Iowa city so it only took one day, but everyone should be finding something out soon.. Good luck to all, and congrats to those who make it.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
 
Congrats to all who have had an acceptance. Good luck to those who are on the waitlist or still waiting to read their letters.

To those who have heard and are definitely going to go to Carver, are any of you planning to attend the April 19th get together? (Not to highjack the thread but this seems the most likely place to get a response)


Hey, I just got the acceptance letter today. I didn't see anything about an April 19th get together. I'm an IS applicant so maybe this is why they didn't mention anything in my package? But anyway do you know what Carver is planning?
 
Hey, I just got the acceptance letter today. I didn't see anything about an April 19th get together. I'm an IS applicant so maybe this is why they didn't mention anything in my package? But anyway do you know what Carver is planning?

You'll get a large envelope in the mail (shortly, I'm sure) detailing Iowa's Get Acquainted Day. As gwil mentioned, it's April 19th and features group sessions to learn more about a particular topic of your interest. It also looks like you get to meet who'll be in your community group starting next fall. Anyway, you confirm your attendance here by April 11th, if you're going to be attending or not.
 
Hey, I just got the acceptance letter today. I didn't see anything about an April 19th get together. I'm an IS applicant so maybe this is why they didn't mention anything in my package? But anyway do you know what Carver is planning?

Eek. I should have explained better...sorry! I go this "Get Acquainted Day" letter long after my acceptance package so don't worry if you haven't got it yet (I understand the stress of the past few months and every little thing can seem HUGE...this isn't one of those😉).

Officially called the "New Student Get Acquainted Day on Saturday, April 19, 2008." they say its an opportunity to talk with new classmates, current students, faculty and staff. It looks like the day consists of breakfast, welcome, some seminars like "relationships in medical school"😱 and then some random get to know the people around you time. Goes from 8 am to about 1 pm. Anyway, I'm interested in getting to meet some classmates (and maybe some roommates ha!) Looks like its open to all new students so my guess is you'll get the info sometime soon.
 
For those of you who were waitlisted, do you mind sharing your stats? I was also waitlisted (in the high 20s) and I am not too happy about it at all. I am just curious to see if there is any correlation between credentials and place on the waitlist. Me: Iowa resident, 31 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, research, ER and nursing home volunteer, yada yada yada.

I think we're the same person ... 🙂. If the Ames kids get their mail on Thursday, I'll let you know I sit (my gut has been screaming waitlist for the past couple of days ...)
 
Yeah...this really sucks. I couldn't even sleep last night cuz all I could think about was whether or not I'd eventually get in. All I can say is just hope for the best, but plan for the worst. I've been through this TWICE now, (though the first time I was flat out rejected), and making sure you have a back up plan is definitely a must.

Lets try to keep updating each other about what we know/find out. If and when I call, I'll post. Oh gosh...it's gonna be an agonizing summer...

Good luck to those of us waitlisted! :luck:
 
I just called admissions, and for the last three years apparently 32ish (it was a low 30 number, I don't remember if it was exactly 32), 17, and 28 in-staters have gotten off the waitlist. Hope this helps.

I don't like the "17"...it makes me very worried.
 
Well congratulations to all those who've heard the good news.

Chicago got its letters today. I got number 91 on the OOS alternate list, so it looks like I will not be spending any further time in Iowa. Best of luck in medical school, and I hope no one here has to go through this again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well congratulations to all those who've heard the good news.

Chicago got its letters today. I got number 91 on the OOS alternate list, so it looks like I will not be spending any further time in Iowa. Best of luck in medical school, and I hope no one here has to go through this again.

It seams like the OOS wait list moves more, I don't know that for sure, but you may still be in the running. You can't be too dissapointed with an OSU acceptance. Have a good time where ever you end up Banana
 
Well congratulations to all those who've heard the good news.

Chicago got its letters today. I got number 91 on the OOS alternate list, so it looks like I will not be spending any further time in Iowa. Best of luck in medical school, and I hope no one here has to go through this again.

what emt said. From my understanding of the process the OOS list always moves a lot more than the in-state list so I don't think you are out of it yet.
 
#103 on OOS waitlist

My gosh, I wonder how many they actually waitlist.
 
So, it looks like only bordering state OOS applicants have received a letter so far. I'm in Washington state, so I guess that probably means no letter for me until tomorrow. Argh.
 
I should get mine today (WI), but won't be able to check my mail until around 9p after my biochem exam. But based on Bananas' result, I'm not feeling very optimistic...
 
Well congratulations to all those who've heard the good news.

Chicago got its letters today. I got number 91 on the OOS alternate list, so it looks like I will not be spending any further time in Iowa. Best of luck in medical school, and I hope no one here has to go through this again.


This really surprises me considering your stats...sometimes I really don't get this process.

If you are really interested in Iowa, though, I wouldn't lose hope yet. I know they've gone through the entire OOS WL in the past. But, I'm sure you'll be happy where ever you end up. G'luck :luck:
 
but what if 50 people decided to wait it out? or for some reason a large number of people didn't get accepted to other schools and are on this waitlist? I am new to this process but I want to be realistic.
 
:luck:The south has not received the letters (I just checked the mail), so I guess I will be back to post tomarrow. Best of luck and congrats to everyone!

🙂
 
This really surprises me considering your stats...sometimes I really don't get this process.

If you are really interested in Iowa, though, I wouldn't lose hope yet. I know they've gone through the entire OOS WL in the past. But, I'm sure you'll be happy where ever you end up. G'luck :luck:


Yeah, given my record so far I'm sure there's plenty being considered besides my stats, but I hope I don't stink up the interviews that much🙄.

According to hearsay and conjecture from last year the OOS list typically moves 30-40 spots by July, though I did hear about the list moving a 100 once. Iowa was a top choice and a very impressive school so I doubt many OOS'ers will drop the list this year, so Im glad I have my one acceptance. I do really hope, however, things turn out well for the people who are counting on Iowa.👍
 
Okay, so I got this ominous, rejection-thin letter (oh how I hates the thinletter!) in the mail yesterday and my heart stopped beating for a second. I didn't want to open it, I kind of had this gut feeling I was going to be rejected, but I couldn't NOT know.

Anyway, it turns out I was not rejected outright but rather am Number 9 on the IS WL (when I told my dad I was number nine, he said, "Yeah, honey, you and Eliot Spitzer.") 😀

I called the admissions office this morning and got some info, I encourage anyone with questions to give them a call, very pleasant people! The stats that I have gathered so far of the number of students ultimately accepted for that year's class from the IS waitlist:

2001: 34
2002: 15
2003: 23
2004: 31
2005: 32
2006: 17
2007: 28

which works out to a median of 26-27. I don't know what the all-time highs and lows are, does anyone else?

There are 51 students total on the IS WL currently. They will not make any adjustments to position until all 51 have confirmed or rejected their spot on the WL, so like March 25 or so.

Admissions also said that most activity happens in May, so expect a large stagnant period of not moving much on the list until then.

Hopefully, some of the other IS accepted will decide that they might not want to stick around and face another winter like this one!

Congrats to all those who got in, or who made the waitlist. My condolences to those who did not, we live in a SMART state and have a great, highly-ranked medical school which makes getting in pretty difficult!
 
^^^nice info. it was an interesting read and I'm sure others appreciate it

oh and good luck...looks like your odds are pretty good (despite the eliot spitzer correlation)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I got this ominous, rejection-thin letter (oh how I hates the thinletter!) in the mail yesterday and my heart stopped beating for a second. I didn't want to open it, I kind of had this gut feeling I was going to be rejected, but I couldn't NOT know.

Anyway, it turns out I was not rejected outright but rather am Number 9 on the IS WL (when I told my dad I was number nine, he said, "Yeah, honey, you and Eliot Spitzer.") 😀

I called the admissions office this morning and got some info, I encourage anyone with questions to give them a call, very pleasant people! The stats that I have gathered so far of the number of students ultimately accepted for that year's class from the IS waitlist:

2001: 34
2002: 15
2003: 23
2004: 31
2005: 32
2006: 17
2007: 28

which works out to a median of 26-27. I don't know what the all-time highs and lows are, does anyone else?

There are 51 students total on the IS WL currently. They will not make any adjustments to position until all 51 have confirmed or rejected their spot on the WL, so like March 25 or so.

Admissions also said that most activity happens in May, so expect a large stagnant period of not moving much on the list until then.

Hopefully, some of the other IS accepted will decide that they might not want to stick around and face another winter like this one!

Congrats to all those who got in, or who made the waitlist. My condolences to those who did not, we live in a SMART state and have a great, highly-ranked medical school which makes getting in pretty difficult!

I found this very uplifting...I'm sure you'll get in being #9!! Congrats! I'm a little border-line, but it could be worse, I just keep telling myself that. It could ALWAYS be worse! Haha...just trying to be optimistic.
 
An acquaintance of mine was number 22 last year, it was her second year applying to Iowa, and she got in in early June. Hang in there, try not to worry about it, 22 is definitely not a number to panic about.
 
hmm i got the letter today, i am #46 on the OOS list...i feel like my position is kind of borderline after reading these posts. Idk though, last year they went through their entire OOS waiting list so miracles can happen. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed and wait some more. 😳