Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IS waitlist #39 with a 3.99 GPA and a 33Q MCAT. I know that my prospects are not good. I've accepted my losses (also waitlisted at another school) and am attempting to take comfort in the ole "everything happens for a reason." Such is life.
 
IS waitlist #39 with a 3.99 GPA and a 33Q MCAT. I know that my prospects are not good. I've accepted my losses (also waitlisted at another school) and am attempting to take comfort in the ole "everything happens for a reason." Such is life.

There must have been something lacking in your application to hold you back. Obviously, it wasn't your stats. I would recommend calling Iowa CCOM and speaking with either Kathi Huebner, or Dean Solow...ask what you need to improve. When I didn't get in the first time, that's what I did. I worked on improving in my weak areas...and though I'm still not in, at least it's better than last time!

Also...I am very sorry to hear this...hang in there. You'll get in some where, if not this year, then maybe next!! Just don't give up. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An acquaintance of mine was number 22 last year, it was her second year applying to Iowa, and she got in in early June. Hang in there, try not to worry about it, 22 is definitely not a number to panic about.

Thank you for your kind words!! It's in my nature to panic and worry, unfortunately. But I do appreciate your optimism. 🙂
 
I was pretty shocked when I didn't get in on Wednesday. I got the horribly thin rejection letter. Stats: IS 3.82 GPA from UofI, 35 MCAT Microbiology major, Biology minor
I have a publication from undergrad research here at Iowa. I have over a year of research before starting a year and a half of undergraduate honors research. I currently work for the VP of Internal Medicine who wrote me a letter of recommendation. I also have a letter from an Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed at the UIHC.
I have worked for nearly 4 years with adults and children with disabilities. I have volunteered for a summer overseas. I also volunteered for TopScholar helping the university recruit honors students. I have academic awards from the University of Iowa.
People really liked my personal statement, and I didn't bomb my interview. I actually think I represented myself well at the interview and I wasn't nervous.
I am completely devastated...Why do you think they hate me?
 
I was pretty shocked when I didn't get in on Wednesday. I got the horribly thin rejection letter. Stats: IS 3.82 GPA from UofI, 35 MCAT Microbiology major, Biology minor
I have a publication from undergrad research here at Iowa. I have over a year of research before starting a year and a half of undergraduate honors research. I currently work for the VP of Internal Medicine who wrote me a letter of recommendation. I also have a letter from an Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed at the UIHC.
I have worked for nearly 4 years with adults and children with disabilities. I have volunteered for a summer overseas. I also volunteered for TopScholar helping the university recruit honors students. I have academic awards from the University of Iowa.
People really liked my personal statement, and I didn't bomb my interview. I actually think I represented myself well at the interview and I wasn't nervous.
I am completely devastated...Why do you think they hate me?

I would call and find out. Stats and ECs seem fine. If you trust your LOR then that really shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you applied too late? Call and find out is the best choice. Especially if you plan on reapplying.
 
Hopefully Ill get the letter today. Have not seen it yet. (east coast)


Also just wanted to say for those of you wondering why you didnt get in despite being qualified just remember not to feel too bad about yourself. The application process is pretty much complete bs. In general people on this board place way too much faith in the fairness of the process and too much trust in the process in general.
 
Hey everyone on the waitlist. Just letting you know that I now know of 2 people from my University who have acceptances to Iowa and are turning them down. Two down and more to go.
 
I would call and find out. Stats and ECs seem fine. If you trust your LOR then that really shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you applied too late? Call and find out is the best choice. Especially if you plan on reapplying.


I did call and I had to set up a phone appointment for March 24th to discuss my application. That was the first day available. That is why I wanted to post on this forum because it is difficult to wait that long to hear any feedback. Everyone I know was very surprised and keeps asking me why I think I didn't get in. I have no idea.
I don't think I applied too late. I interviewed towards the end of Nov...is that too late?
 
I was pretty shocked when I didn't get in on Wednesday. I got the horribly thin rejection letter. Stats: IS 3.82 GPA from UofI, 35 MCAT Microbiology major, Biology minor
I have a publication from undergrad research here at Iowa. I have over a year of research before starting a year and a half of undergraduate honors research. I currently work for the VP of Internal Medicine who wrote me a letter of recommendation. I also have a letter from an Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed at the UIHC.
I have worked for nearly 4 years with adults and children with disabilities. I have volunteered for a summer overseas. I also volunteered for TopScholar helping the university recruit honors students. I have academic awards from the University of Iowa.
People really liked my personal statement, and I didn't bomb my interview. I actually think I represented myself well at the interview and I wasn't nervous.
I am completely devastated...Why do you think they hate me?

I am so sorry to hear this. You definitely need to call the admissions office and speak with Kathi. I know you feel horrible now, but you will start feeling better once you know what it is you need to improve on. When you start working on that, your mind will be more at ease. There has to be something the adcom felt wasn't sufficient in your app...and look at it this way, at least your MCAT and GPA are great!! You're still very young...the average age of medical school matriculants is getting a bit older, and you've got plenty of time to improve your app. Also, next time apply VERY early...that can make a huge difference.

I know nothing I say can help, but I do know how you feel...I've been there. I was depressed and could hardly get myself up in the morning. I've applied twice to Iowa, and still only managed to get myself waitlisted! But, you've gotta keep on truckin' along and don't lose faith in yourself. If medicine is your passion, I'm sure your will and determination are strong enough to eventually get you into a good medical school. Feel better...I hope this helps at least a little...:luck:
 
Hey everyone on the waitlist. Just letting you know that I now know of 2 people from my University who have acceptances to Iowa and are turning them down. Two down and more to go.

I'm assuming they're instate...right?
 
I don't think I applied too late. I interviewed towards the end of Nov...is that too late?

No, that's not late. However, what could be working against you is that you went to Iowa for undergrad, right? Well, some grad schools don't like taking too many of their own undergrad students. It seems counter-intuitive, but all of my state schools work like this (well, 1 does for sure, and the other 2 I'm speculating they do based on their statistics), so perhaps Iowa does too. Maybe they already had a lot of acceptees from UofI by the time they reviewed your file, and just figured more UofI students wouldn't diversify the class? Just a guess. Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully, your app is going well at other schools. 👍
 
No, that's not late. However, what could be working against you is that you went to Iowa for undergrad, right? Well, some grad schools don't like taking too many of their own undergrad students. It seems counter-intuitive, but all of my state schools work like this (well, 1 does for sure, and the other 2 I'm speculating they do based on their statistics), so perhaps Iowa does too. Maybe they already had a lot of acceptees from UofI by the time they reviewed your file, and just figured more UofI students wouldn't diversify the class? Just a guess. Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully, your app is going well at other schools. 👍


That seems like a s*** reason. And they can't possibly say that during my phone review, can they? Thanks for this insight, though. I hate this whole process and am praying I don't have to do this again.
 
That seems like a s*** reason. And they can't possibly say that during my phone review, can they? Thanks for this insight, though. I hate this whole process and am praying I don't have to do this again.

Make sure the person who reviews you over the phone is Cathi. Email her if your appointment isn't with her ([email protected]). Some of those other ladies that help with phone reviews, although they're very nice, really don't have credible insight into what happened with your app.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My last chance is WashU.

I wish you luck. I'm waiting to hear from them too.

How many schools did you apply to / interviews did you have this season? Just from your numbers and experiences it would seem unlikely for you to not get an acceptance somewhere.
 
I was pretty shocked when I didn't get in on Wednesday. I got the horribly thin rejection letter. Stats: IS 3.82 GPA from UofI, 35 MCAT Microbiology major, Biology minor
I have a publication from undergrad research here at Iowa. I have over a year of research before starting a year and a half of undergraduate honors research. I currently work for the VP of Internal Medicine who wrote me a letter of recommendation. I also have a letter from an Orthopedic Surgeon I shadowed at the UIHC.
I have worked for nearly 4 years with adults and children with disabilities. I have volunteered for a summer overseas. I also volunteered for TopScholar helping the university recruit honors students. I have academic awards from the University of Iowa.
People really liked my personal statement, and I didn't bomb my interview. I actually think I represented myself well at the interview and I wasn't nervous.
I am completely devastated...Why do you think they hate me?

Wow... I am shocked by this and can't figure out why they wouldn't take you. Late Nov. shouldn't be THAT late... maybe there were a ton of good ISers this year??? You will definitely get in somewhere with these stats, though, so don't despair! :luck:
 
🙂The Deep south still hasn't received the letters! I almost scared my mail man half dead when he saw me waiting. darn, one more day. but the good news is its 91 degrees down here. I am going to stop worrying and goi'n to enjoy the heat and sunshine,
best wishes y'all!🙂
 
🙂The Deep south still hasn't received the letters! I almost scared my mail man half dead when he saw me waiting. darn, one more day. but the good news is its 91 degrees down here. I am going to stop worrying and goi'n to enjoy the heat and sunshine,
best wishes y'all!🙂

I'm on the verge of hating you right now.🙂 I'm an Iowa resident and this winter has been horrible and long. Seasonal depression set in months ago and at this moment I am wondering if I would trade certainty of admission for 90 degree weather. Tough call.
 
I'm on the verge of hating you right now.🙂 I'm an Iowa resident and this winter has been horrible and long. Seasonal depression set in months ago and at this moment I am wondering if I would trade certainty of admission for 90 degree weather. Tough call.


It's really nice outside today. Or are you stuck in a lab all day like myself and can't tell if its sunny/cold/hot/rainy/snowing/etc until you get off work?
 
I'm on the verge of hating you right now.🙂 I'm an Iowa resident and this winter has been horrible and long. Seasonal depression set in months ago and at this moment I am wondering if I would trade certainty of admission for 90 degree weather. Tough call.

Please do...who wants to stay in Iowa, anyways???? 😀
 
what's a HawKID/ISIS and do all applicants get a HawKID what ever it's called?
happy wishes ya'll!
🙂
 
Wanting to spread the hope for OOS people who have Iowa as top choice (I am #58 MCAT 32 and 3.8):

Called today and spoke with Cathi and also lady at front desk (forgot name) here is the info on OOS waitlist:

2006:84
2005:105
2004:105
2004:51

Pretty good odds so if you are on the OOS waitlist don't give up hope we have a really good chance since they took all from the waitlist in 2005&2004!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are those the numbers of people that get in off the WL or the number of people waitlisted? I thread from last yr stated that 30-50 OOS'ers get in.
 
Are those the numbers of people that get in off the WL or the number of people waitlisted? I thread from last yr stated that 30-50 OOS'ers get in.

I'm pretty sure those are the numbers of people that get in off the WL. When my friend went into visit with Cathi she said they "blew through" everyone on the OOS waitlist last year (2007) too. (So the trend looks promising for us on the OOS waitlist!)
 
When I phoned admissions, they told me that their ranking process was partly subjective, partly objective. A person's stats are formulated into numbers, and certain features of an application can also earn "points" (like being instate or having a good interview, I should think).

Not exactly sure how they factor in the less numbers-oriented stuff like volunteer work or research experience.

Anyway, everybody's points are then converted into a rank, with the top ranked in-state students receiving acceptances, the next highest students receiving waitlist letters, and so on.

Because my stats are not as high as some others who were either rejected or waitlisted, I asked admissions about it and was informed "it is definitely not just about the numbers."
 
so you are saying all OOS are waitlisted, not even accepted? I thought they reserved some spots for OOS..?...
 
so you are saying all OOS are waitlisted, not even accepted? I thought they reserved some spots for OOS..?...

Most OOSers are accepted during the rolling phase. Some may be accepted from the final pool, but it's more rare. Usually, if your out of state, you will either be rejected or waitlisted from the final pool. That's my understanding at least. G'luck :luck:
 
Most OOSers are accepted during the rolling phase. Some may be accepted from the final pool, but it's more rare. Usually, if your out of state, you will either be rejected or waitlisted from the final pool. That's my understanding at least. G'luck :luck:

But there is always a ton of movement on the OOS waitlist (as shown earlier in the thread...105 spots?!?) Don't feel cheated you are on the waitlist because your chances can still be good (depending on your number i guess)
 
But there is always a ton of movement on the OOS waitlist (as shown earlier in the thread...105 spots?!?) Don't feel cheated you are on the waitlist because your chances can still be good (depending on your number i guess)

True.
 
For those of us on the IS waitlist:

I have a complicated question to ask. I know they accept around 130 instaters every year to fill around 98 seats. So...does this mean we have to wait for around 32 people to withdraw acceptances + whatever our WL # is?? For example, I'm #22, so do I have to wait for about 54 people to withdraw? I'm just really confused, and was wondering if anyone had some insight into this or knew for sure how it works. This is probably a dumb question. I have a tendency to over-think things, which usually results in even more confusion... 😕
 
For those of us on the IS waitlist:

I have a complicated question to ask. I know they accept around 130 instaters every year to fill around 98 seats. So...does this mean we have to wait for around 32 people to withdraw acceptances + whatever our WL # is?? For example, I'm #22, so do I have to wait for about 54 people to withdraw? I'm just really confused, and was wondering if anyone had some insight into this or knew for sure how it works. This is probably a dumb question. I have a tendency to over-think things, which usually results in even more confusion... 😕

I don't really know much about anything, but do you think it's possible that 130 = the initial 98 + the ~25-30 that get offers from the alternate list? I guess I'm having a hard time imagining the adcom so grossly over-offering seats. That being said, I guess airlines do it 🙂
 
The number of in-state acceptances (for example, 130), is approximately the number of original acceptances (those accepted during rolling admission and directly from final pool) plus acceptances eventually sent to each member of the waitlist. That is why 130 acceptances might appear in the IS column even though only 98 matriculated (meaning, 32 were pulled from the waitlist after 32 of the original accepted students went elsewhere/ deferred).

I do not believe that Iowa sends out more than 98 acceptances if it only has 98 IS seats to fill because it could theoretically happen that EVERYBODY chose to go to Iowa. After all, it is a pretty rockin' school! This would strain their resources; therefore, they play a conservative game and carefully fill vacancies one seat at a time to avoid overbooking the class.

Hope this helps!😳
 
The number of in-state acceptances (for example, 130), is approximately the number of original acceptances (those accepted during rolling admission and directly from final pool) plus acceptances eventually sent to each member of the waitlist. That is why 130 acceptances might appear in the IS column even though only 98 matriculated (meaning, 32 were pulled from the waitlist after 32 of the original accepted students went elsewhere/ deferred).

I do not believe that Iowa sends out more than 98 acceptances if it only has 98 IS seats to fill because it could theoretically happen that EVERYBODY chose to go to Iowa. After all, it is a pretty rockin' school! This would strain their resources; therefore, they play a conservative game and carefully fill vacancies one seat at a time to avoid overbooking the class.

Hope this helps!😳

This is exactly how I understand it.
 
Thanks for all the info! So does this mean I have to wait for 22 people to withdraw?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cool...hopefully we all bump up a few spots by March 25th. I know most movement won't happen until May, but it'd certainly be nice if some people withdrew acceptances/withdrew from the WL before then! 🙂
 
I'm crossing my fingers really hard that its not August before I hear anything.
 
I am OOS and was accepted in the rolling phase. I am almost sure I will be letting go of my acceptance here very soon. I really loved Iowa, and I hope my spot can go to one of you!!
good luck

Wanting to spread the hope for OOS people who have Iowa as top choice (I am #58 MCAT 32 and 3.8):

Called today and spoke with Cathi and also lady at front desk (forgot name) here is the info on OOS waitlist:

2006:84
2005:105
2004:105
2004:51

Pretty good odds so if you are on the OOS waitlist don't give up hope we have a really good chance since they took all from the waitlist in 2005&2004!
 
So, does anyone know if waitlisters are allowed to attend the "getting to know you day" in late April, or are we considered pariahs until we actually hold an acceptance package in our hands?😕

I mean, I know that being on the waitlist is not exactly the same as admission and we may not be ultimately admitted this year, but I would like to go and make connections (and get a roommate, maybe, before all the sane ones are taken) anyway.

Or maybe the list will move quickly and some of us WL-ers will have been accepted by April 19th and can attend. Here's hoping!

Does anyone know what the all-time highs and lows of accepted waitlisters are? I kind of want to call admissions and ask, but they've been so nice and patient the two times I've called and I don't want to pester them AGAIN.