Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, does anyone know if waitlisters are allowed to attend the "getting to know you day" in late April, or are we considered pariahs until we actually hold an acceptance package in our hands?😕

I mean, I know that being on the waitlist is not exactly the same as admission and we may not be ultimately admitted this year, but I would like to go and make connections (and get a roommate, maybe, before all the sane ones are taken) anyway.

Or maybe the list will move quickly and some of us WL-ers will have been accepted by April 19th and can attend. Here's hoping!

Does anyone know what the all-time highs and lows of accepted waitlisters are? I kind of want to call admissions and ask, but they've been so nice and patient the two times I've called and I don't want to pester them AGAIN.

I think the "getting aquainted day" is for people with actual acceptances. You could call or e-mail admissions and ask if you really want to attend. I definitely don't want to go because I don't want to get my hopes up and then not be admitted. That would really suck. 🙁

I'll probably call this week at some point. I'll try and find out the all-time highs and lows for the WL. Hopefully if I speak to Carolyn, she'll know the details.

God...I'm so nervous, and it hasn't even been a week since I found out! These next few months are going to go feel soooooooo long...
 
I'm crossing my fingers really hard that its not August before I hear anything.

No kidding!! I hate doing things last minute, and if I do get in, I'd like to find a decent place to live that's not too pricey. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see. G'luck :luck:
 
Does anyone know of any other instaters who are going to withdraw their acceptances? I know it's too early, but I'm just anxious to see where I'll be come March 25th...a week seems so far away!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got accepted the other day. I was pretty excited, because I loved the school. I am an OOS applicant. I know the tuition for OOS is $42,000 on paper, but at the interviews it was mentioned that a good portion of tuition for OOS applicants is paid through scholarships.

Does anybody know what a realistic expectation for OOS tuition would be for an OOS applicant without URM status? Am I looking at paying the whole $42,000? Paying $42,000/year is a tough pill to swallow when I've been accepted at my state school and would pay $20,000/year there. I loved Iowa and would consider attending school there if the price is right.
 
I just got accepted the other day. I was pretty excited, because I loved the school. I am an OOS applicant. I know the tuition for OOS is $42,000 on paper, but at the interviews it was mentioned that a good portion of tuition for OOS applicants is paid through scholarships.

Does anybody know what a realistic expectation for OOS tuition would be for an OOS applicant without URM status? Am I looking at paying the whole $42,000? Paying $42,000/year is a tough pill to swallow when I've been accepted at my state school and would pay $20,000/year there. I loved Iowa and would consider attending school there if the price is right.

The loan/scholarship wheels should start turning now that you have been accepted. Make sure you have your FASFA completed and get your taxes done (helps with FASFA). You should be contacted by Carver pretty soon with some hoops you have to jump through and your package should be sent *relatively* soon thereafter. Its a give and take based on need and who is first in line. Loans/scholarships are a weird beast in medical school but Iowa seems to have a bit more available compared to some other schools. Thats as much as I know, but hopefully it helped a little?
 
I was able to call admissions and ask them what the smallest number, historically, of students accepted off the waitlist was. The lady I talked to said she thought 15 was the least amount they had ever accepted.
I wonder if they'll send out status updates ON the 25th, since that is the last day to respond to alternate list offers. I am guessing it may very well take another couple of days to tabulate the results and notify all the waitlisters.
 
I was able to call admissions and ask them what the smallest number, historically, of students accepted off the waitlist was. The lady I talked to said she thought 15 was the least amount they had ever accepted.
I wonder if they'll send out status updates ON the 25th, since that is the last day to respond to alternate list offers. I am guessing it may very well take another couple of days to tabulate the results and notify all the waitlisters.

Haha...I called and asked the same thing. The lady I spoke to said she had no clue. She was a bit rude, actually. It must have been someone other than Carolyn.

Yeah...I was wondering the same thing about the 25th. When I first got the WL notice, I called, and an admissions rep. said not to expect to hear anything until a few days after the 25th...but, who knows? I think I'll probably call the middle of next week, and see if anything has changed.
 
Just wanted to let everyone know, I talked to Carolyn Murphy today and I moved 4 positions closer to admission, so I assume that everyone else on the IS waitlist did as well. 🙂
 
Just wanted to let everyone know, I talked to Carolyn Murphy today and I moved 4 positions closer to admission, so I assume that everyone else on the IS waitlist did as well. 🙂

That's good news! I understand that most of the movement on the waitlist comes around May 15th because that is the deadline to accept or decline an offer. So, I was just wondering, how are there so many people who come off the waitlist after May 15th in June, July, and August? Where are these vacancies coming from?
 
LuckySeven, thank you soooooo much for letting us know! I just called admissions, and sure enough the list moved 4 spots. Apparently, this is VERY unusual; she said it's quite a bit of movement this early on. Carolyn said they've had a number of people defer for a year. Now lets hope it continues like this!!

LuckySeven...you're now #5!!!! That's awesome! :luck:
 
That's good news! I understand that most of the movement on the waitlist comes around May 15th because that is the deadline to accept or decline an offer. So, I was just wondering, how are there so many people who come off the waitlist after May 15th in June, July, and August? Where are these vacancies coming from?

I second this question...I don't get it either. 😕
 
Part of it could be people coming off the waitlists at other schools...which, as we know, can happen as late as August.
 
Well, I think AKu2984 is right, it is a lot of people moving off other waitlists. Iowa is a great school, so to pass it up I'm sure you'd really have to be in at one of the top tier schools. An acquaintance from high school got into Cornell Weill off the waitlist at the last minute and withdrew his acceptance from Iowa.

Thanks for the congrats, you are in the teens now, looking good!
 
Congrats to those who got into IOWA! Its an awesome school!
I will be withdrawing my acceptance Monday--and I hope that all who want in, get in!:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to those who got into IOWA! Its an awesome school!
I will be withdrawing my acceptance Monday--and I hope that all who want in, get in!:luck:

Thanks! Hopefully there will be more people like you who don't wait until May. Good luck wherever you go.
 
LadyDoc, aren't you out of state? Congrats for getting in, and props for withdrawing ASAP so waitlisters can get in, but I wish you were on our (IS) waitlist.
 
LadyDoc, aren't you out of state? Congrats for getting in, and props for withdrawing ASAP so waitlisters can get in, but I wish you were on our (IS) waitlist.

It sounds like she already has been accepted. Does anyone know how that works? If an OOS turns down an acceptance, is the position filled off the OOS waitlist?
 
Yes, if an OOS student withdraws, their position is filled with an OOS waitlisted student. Same thing for IS waitlist. So our position only improves if another in-state student decides to go elsewhere. Hence the separate lists.🙂 Also, I should think this is why the in-state waitlist is shorter, because less in-staters will turn down admission at Iowa. Out of staters, if they got into Iowa, also likely got in to other places they applied including their own state school. So there is higher turnover in the OOS pool.
 
Yes, if an OOS student withdraws, their position is filled with an OOS waitlisted student. Same thing for IS waitlist. So our position only improves if another in-state student decides to go elsewhere. Hence the separate lists.🙂 Also, I should think this is why the in-state waitlist is shorter, because less in-staters will turn down admission at Iowa. Out of staters, if they got into Iowa, also likely got in to other places they applied including their own state school. So there is higher turnover in the OOS pool.

Yep! That's exactly how it works. Anyone else waiting anxiously to hear what # on the IS WL they'll be next week? I really hope it moves at least a few more spots. Carolyn said not to expect much movement by March 25th...though...I'm still hoping. This waitlist thing is so stressful 😱

LuckySeven...be sure to post when you get your acceptance. Being #5, I would assume you'll be hearing pretty soon!
 
Yep! That's exactly how it works. Anyone else waiting anxiously to hear what # on the IS WL they'll be next week? I really hope it moves at least a few more spots. Carolyn said not to expect much movement by March 25th...though...I'm still hoping. This waitlist thing is so stressful 😱

LuckySeven...be sure to post when you get your acceptance. Being #5, I would assume you'll be hearing pretty soon!


Well I certainly am praying for an acceptance! Iowa is my first choice, but I still have open files at a few schools and an interview next week. I didn't know going into this process that it would be so lengthy, the guy from my school who got into Iowa last year got in before Thanksgiving so I kind of thought it would be shorter.
Thanks for being so encouraging! I am crossing my fingers for you, too, hang in there! 😀
 
Well I certainly am praying for an acceptance! Iowa is my first choice, but I still have open files at a few schools and an interview next week. I didn't know going into this process that it would be so lengthy, the guy from my school who got into Iowa last year got in before Thanksgiving so I kind of thought it would be shorter.
Thanks for being so encouraging! I am crossing my fingers for you, too, hang in there! 😀

Thank you!! We'll be hearing an update about the WL pretty soon! Lets hope it moves at least a little. Good luck on the upcoming interview, I'm sure you'll rock it 🙂.
 
Hey, I just sent Cathy my withdrawal letter. I am an IS applicant. Good luck to everybody on the waitlist. I know how you feel, I was in those shoes last year!
 
I talked to someone the office today and she said we may not hear anything about our waitlist update until the end of the week due to spring breaks and what not. Also, it's gonna be an e-mail.
 
I talked to someone the office today and she said we may not hear anything about our waitlist update until the end of the week due to spring breaks and what not. Also, it's gonna be an e-mail.

Yeah...I figured as much. I dunno if I can stand waiting that long!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry im a bit confused. why must we wait until march 25th?
were people on the waitlist suppose to confirm their interest by the 25th?
 
sorry im a bit confused. why must we wait until march 25th?
were people on the waitlist suppose to confirm their interest by the 25th?


Yes, today is the last day to confirm whether you would like to hold your place on the waitlist. I am guessing that it is also the day that those who received acceptances must also either confirm or deny admission; however, students holding multiple acceptances don't have to pick just one school to attend until the end of May-ish, which is when the waitlists really move apparently.

What is your status, drew24? Are you on the OOS or IS waitlist?
 
You're supposed to confirm by e-mail.

I just called Carolyn in admissions, and as of today I am #17 on the IS waitlist, so it's moved a total of 5 spots! But, apparently there are a lot of people who haven't confirmed yet....so, that being said, she won't be sending an e-mail until the end of the week regarding current WL positions. Also, Carolyn said she was sending out e-mail reminders to those that had not yet confirmed (for both IS and OOS waitlists). So if you haven't confirmed, I'd do so quickly!
 
You're supposed to confirm by e-mail.

I just called Carolyn in admissions, and as of today I am #17 on the IS waitlist, so it's moved a total of 5 spots! But, apparently there are a lot of people who haven't confirmed yet....so, that being said, she won't be sending an e-mail until the end of the week regarding current WL positions. Also, Carolyn said she was sending out e-mail reminders to those that had not yet confirmed (for both IS and OOS waitlists). So if you haven't confirmed, I'd do so quickly!

Are you calling Carolyn directly? Because whenever I call and ask for her, she is never available. I've called many times and I've never actually talked to her. I think everyone in the office is very knowledgeable, but she always seems to have the inside scoop.
 
I just got an email asking if I wanted to stay on the OOS waitlist with an ultimatum of midnight March 26.


On an unrelated note- anyone above #107 on the OOS waitlist who is planning on sticking it out, you can count yourself one better now 😀👍 .
 
Are you calling Carolyn directly? Because whenever I call and ask for her, she is never available. I've called many times and I've never actually talked to her. I think everyone in the office is very knowledgeable, but she always seems to have the inside scoop.

I always call this #: (319) 335-8052. Carolyn usually answers that line; I have called and had someone else answer though. But...if no one picks up, it goes directly to her voicemail, so I dunno...I'd use that # from now on, and you should be able to get a hold of her that way. Hope this helps!! :luck:
 
I always call this #: (319) 335-8052. Carolyn usually answers that line; I have called and had someone else answer though. But...if no one picks up, it goes directly to her voicemail, so I dunno...I'd use that # from now on, and you should be able to get a hold of her that way. Hope this helps!! :luck:

Thanks! Yes, this does help. I'll have to call that number from now on.
 
thanks for the info luckyseven.

im on the oos wl at #15.

If you're interested in Iowa, I'd stay on the oos WL if I were you. It usually moves 30+ spots...you have a REALLY good chance of getting in!!
 
If you're interested in Iowa, I'd stay on the oos WL if I were you. It usually moves 30+ spots...you have a REALLY good chance of getting in!!

do you mean initial movement (right now)? I am #46 on OOS (haven't checked back yet for updates since receiving my letter) and I was just wondering about my chances.
thanks!
 
do you mean initial movement (right now)? I am #46 on OOS (haven't checked back yet for updates since receiving my letter) and I was just wondering about my chances.
thanks!

I meant it usually moves a TOTAL of 30+ spots. But, it has moved much farther than that in the past!! You should call to find out where you stand. No. 46 is not to shabby! :luck:
 
Wanting to spread the hope for OOS people who have Iowa as top choice (I am #58 MCAT 32 and 3.8):

Called today and spoke with Cathi and also lady at front desk (forgot name) here is the info on OOS waitlist:

2006:84
2005:105
2004:105
2003:51

Pretty good odds so if you are on the OOS waitlist don't give up hope we have a really good chance since they took all from the waitlist in 2005&2004!

I'd say that 30+ is a pretty large underestimate, considering previous posts. An average of 86 OOS applicants were accepted off of the waitlist each year between 2003 and 2006. So, MNgirl66, I think you are in good shape being at #46.
 
Yes, today is the last day to confirm whether you would like to hold your place on the waitlist. I am guessing that it is also the day that those who received acceptances must also either confirm or deny admission; however, students holding multiple acceptances don't have to pick just one school to attend until the end of May-ish, which is when the waitlists really move apparently...

Yep, you're right in that those accepted had to accept or turn down the offer by today, too. But the deposit is only $50 so probably there are more than a few people who've confirmed acceptance at multiple places and are still figuring out where to go.

Thank you so much! I am hoping that too! By the way, congratulations on your acceptance 🙂

And, thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if people would pick drexel over iowa. granted i understand that this thread would probably be more biased, but im trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it for me to go to the drexel interview. just wanted people's opinions. Just for reference, I am OOS for both schools. any opinions would be helpful. thanks in advance
 
I'd say that 30+ is a pretty large underestimate, considering previous posts. An average of 86 OOS applicants were accepted off of the waitlist each year between 2003 and 2006. So, MNgirl66, I think you are in good shape being at #46.

You're right...I should have read over that before I posted. Sorry about that. 😳

I was also trying to point out that there have been years where it's been around thirty-forty as well...so I was being on the conservative side.

Either way...#46 is still excellent. 😀
 
I was just wondering if people would pick drexel over iowa. granted i understand that this thread would probably be more biased, but im trying to decide whether or not it would be worth it for me to go to the drexel interview. just wanted people's opinions. Just for reference, I am OOS for both schools. any opinions would be helpful. thanks in advance

I, personally, would find out where you stand right now on the Iowa WL. Whenever I call, they're very informative (especially Carolyn). Also...being #15 on the oos waitlist is pretty much a guaranteed acceptance 😀. Is it worth it to waste money on travel and such to go to the Drexel interview?

If you really don't know, and aren't sure if Iowa's for you. I'd say go on one of the Drexel threads, compare and contrast the two schools. I honestly don't know much about Drexel...but there a number of factors to consider: location, cost, (which will be steep for both since you're oos), weather, etc. IMO, med school is med school. You're going to work your a$$ off and in the end be a doctor. Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll work out fine! :luck:
 
do you mean initial movement (right now)? I am #46 on OOS (haven't checked back yet for updates since receiving my letter) and I was just wondering about my chances.
thanks!
Hello MNgirl66,
I just withdrew my OOS acceptance for Iowa. Stick with it, two years I ago I was in the 90's on the waitlist and made it with in a few spots before school started. Hopefully, my withdraw will get you closer to school at Iowa. They definetly have a great program there. Hang in there!
THR
 
Hey Tiny, how close exactly were you to making it off the waitlist exactly if you don't mind? I am also happy that you had a happy ending as you have multiple acceptances now. Congrats