Iowa State c/o 2018 applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my GPA's calculated. The science one hurts...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeeeeah gotta love how it's the lowest....

It's crazy how different each school is! My actual science GPA is about 0.5 higher than Iowa's calculation lol

I was looking on the Interview Feedback for Iowa State, (which is awesome, by the way!) and I had a question regarding the interview format. It looks like half of the people that filled out the survey said that their interview was a group interview. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Will the interviews be in a group, or was that in past years? Thanks! :)

It's crazy how different each school is! My actual science GPA is about 0.5 higher than Iowa's calculation lol

Well, what they count is their "required science gpa". So if you took some sciences that are not specifically pre-requisites for them, they didn't count that into the GPA. So your actual science GPA with those extra sciences may seem different. At least that's what I understand.

Most of the interviews at ISU are conducted by two current professors, veterinarians, or alumnae of the college.

I was looking on the Interview Feedback for Iowa State, (which is awesome, by the way!) and I had a question regarding the interview format. It looks like half of the people that filled out the survey said that their interview was a group interview. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Will the interviews be in a group, or was that in past years? Thanks! :)

They interview you individually and it usually lasts around 50 minutes. Like labrat said, it is usually at least one professor and an alumnae veterinarian (at least that is what they did last year). The interview feedback page is a great resource to prepare for your interview. The questions don't change much from year to year and I looked them over prior to my interview and wrote down 2-3 scenarios for each one. I was prepared for every question they asked and it was very conversational. The last question of the interview is always "Do you have any questions for us?" and it is always a good idea to have a few in mind!

P.s. I hope interviews went well for those who went today, and good luck to those interviewing tomorrow! I'll be doing the student panel at 10:00 and fitting for white coats at 8:00 if you have any questions. :)

They interview you individually and it usually lasts around 50 minutes. Like labrat said, it is usually at least one professor and an alumnae veterinarian (at least that is what they did last year). The interview feedback page is a great resource to prepare for your interview. The questions don't change much from year to year and I looked them over prior to my interview and wrote down 2-3 scenarios for each one. I was prepared for every question they asked and it was very conversational. The last question of the interview is always "Do you have any questions for us?" and it is always a good idea to have a few in mind!

P.s. I hope interviews went well for those who went today, and good luck to those interviewing tomorrow! I'll be doing the student panel at 10:00 and fitting for white coats at 8:00 if you have any questions. :)
Thanks for the info! This might be a dumb question, but ISU does a white coat fitting during interviews?? Is that typical? That seems interesting, seeing as not everyone who interviews gets in. I understand that interviews may be the only time an applicant visits ISU prior to school starting, but still.

Thanks for the info WildAtHeart! I actually interviewed yesterday, and it was absolutely fantastic! The facilities were AMAZING, the interviewers were extremely nice, the questions were similar if not exact to the interview feedback, and it was honestly like I was having a conversation with friends. I was very anxious and shaky before the interview because I get extremely anxious when I have to publicly speak (hence the shaking), but as soon as I got into the room they made me completely comfortable and the hour absolutely flew by. We even chatted for about 10-15 minutes after the interview. So anyone who is yet to interview here, don't be nervous, they honestly make the interview process as painless as possible! It was truly a great experience :)

Can someone point me to where the interview feedback everyone is talking about is?

Can someone point me to where the interview feedback everyone is talking about is?

It's on the main sdn.net page. It's to the left of the forum tab. If you hover your mouse on the interview/article tab, you should find the Veterinary interview section. Click on that, then click on the school you are interested in. To view the questions, click on "view survey results," which is in small orange print next to "take survey button." Scroll down and then click on "Questions." All questions from previous years are on there. If you still have trouble finding it let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! This might be a dumb question, but ISU does a white coat fitting during interviews?? Is that typical? That seems interesting, seeing as not everyone who interviews gets in. I understand that interviews may be the only time an applicant visits ISU prior to school starting, but still.

I'm assuming they measure for the white coat during the interviews (and also record your name for the "official name tag") because the Friday of orientation week has a "White Coat Ceremony" where a veterinarian of your choice or a professor/clinician at the college will coat you. They give you fancy white coats with a patch on it, so they need to know the sizes to order them ahead of time. Considering how far the Iowa State wait list typically moves, I'm assuming doing it during interviews also allows them to get the sizes of those students in case they get called off the wait list later in the summer. Its a nice gesture and the ceremony is nice, but most people don't wear these nice coats in anatomy lab and end up ordering an extra coat anyway.

I am an out of state applicant and I recently got back from an interview with Iowa State and I am very excited about their program! =) Does anyone know when they typically sent out letters of acceptance?

I am an out of state applicant and I recently got back from an interview with Iowa State and I am very excited about their program! =) Does anyone know when they typically sent out letters of acceptance?
Sooo Dr. Howard said during the pre-interview part that they send them around Feb. 14th at least during my time block this last weekend (Sat 1-5 PM).

Sooo Dr. Howard said during the pre-interview part that they send them around Feb. 14th at least during my time block this last weekend (Sat 1-5 PM).
Unfortunately, I missed the pre-interview part. Major delays/problems with my flights. =/

Still in committee review! aaaah.

I'm actually going to call them today and ask when the next batch of interviews should be sent out. I have 2 interviews the week of the 13th and I really need to know if there's a possibility I'll have one from Iowa as well so I can make travel plans. I don't like procrastinating with that stuff.

So they just finished with their second round of stuff and people should be getting notified this week and next week.

I just received and interview invite as well!! Hoping you guys get the same good news!!:soexcited:

I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!! Good luck, all!!!!! :soexcited::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Congrats to everyone who received interview invites! I got an invite today and scheduled mine for 1/25. Given the circumstances (1, it's finals week and 2, having the flu) this seriously made my day!

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, I missed the pre-interview part. Major delays/problems with my flights. =/
Yeah, last weekend was definitely a rough flying weekend, especially if you were going anywhere through or near Dallas...

But yeah, February 14th fo sho.

I was selected for an interview!!! I was notified 12/13/13 (yes it was friday the 13th) and my interview is scheduled for January 26th and I am outs of state. good luck everyone.

Anyone else still in committee review, as I am? I'm beginning to get worried.

I am as well. Looks like there are two more interview weekends, January 15-16th and 25-26. Clayj was scheduled for the latter....did I miss invites for the 15-16th?

Recent interview invites allowed you to choose between an interview date of the 18, 19, 25, or 26

Question for those who have had interviews -- I was sent a message on the portal with a link to fill out a form indicating my primary species interest. I am equally interested in a few areas so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is being asked just to inform our interviewers or to assign us into groups for tours and such with others who have similar interests?

Question for those who have had interviews -- I was sent a message on the portal with a link to fill out a form indicating my primary species interest. I am equally interested in a few areas so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is being asked just to inform our interviewers or to assign us into groups for tours and such with others who have similar interests?
I think it's just for statistics reasons. When you go they have a poster on the wall showing demographics of interviewees that day... State, area of interest, etc. Everyone does the same tour of both large and small so it doesn't have to do with that. And your interviewers are completely "blind" ie they have no idea of your application, experience or interests, so I think it really is just for statistical purposes.

Illinois asked the same question on their supplemental application (it was a "check all that apply"). It must be so they can learn more about the applicant pool like Jersey said.

Still in committee review. Ugh. So anxious.

I'm with you galixia!! It is getting hard to keep hopeful, but I'm trying to keep the faith at least through the first week of January when I'm expecting to hear from MN.

Unfortunately, I got some bad news today. Good luck to the rest of you!

Unfortunately, I got some bad news today. Good luck to the rest of you!

So sorry to hear that pink puppy! Hugs to you! I don't know if you've applied elsewhere, but if you have, then hope you have good news from those!! My heart skipped a beat when you posted that, but nothing new on my end. Fingers (and paws) are still crossed here. :nailbiting: <--This would be me if I didn't have my fingernails being constantly repainted through this process!!

Have not heard anything yet. Pretty much lost hope for Iowa State though :(

So sorry to hear that pink puppy! Hugs to you! I don't know if you've applied elsewhere, but if you have, then hope you have good news from those!! My heart skipped a beat when you posted that, but nothing new on my end. Fingers (and paws) are still crossed here. :nailbiting: <--This would be me if I didn't have my fingernails being constantly repainted through this process!!

Thanks for the kind words! Waiting on 3 more schools but not feeling too positive as time goes on.

So sorry for the bad news :(

Thanks for the kind words! Waiting on 3 more schools but not feeling too positive as time goes on.

That's what this forum is good for!! We're all in the struggle together. Better to support each other than to step on each other.

I feel ya on that following topic. I just checked my email and found out that I didn't get a KSU invite (although app is still active so I'm wishful). It sucks. That means I'm losing currently out at one school (KSU), losing hope on another (ISU), and waiting patiently on my IS (UMN). I've officially decided that I despise waiting. Getting news you don't want to hear doesn't help. :nono:

Have not heard anything yet. Pretty much lost hope for Iowa State though :(

Don't give up hope yet! If I remember correctly there were a few people last year that were notified of (Skype) interviews from Iowa State just a few days before (in January). So don't despair, there's still time left!

Don't give up hope yet! If I remember correctly there were a few people last year that were notified of (Skype) interviews from Iowa State just a few days before (in January). So don't despair, there's still time left!

That's crazy. I don't know if I can wait much longer!