Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlightbowl

SGU c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! The next application cycle has started, so here's the new Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants thread! I'll be applying for the 3rd (and hopefully final) time. Who's with me?
Good luck everyone! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all! The next application cycle has started, so here's the new Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants thread! I'll be applying for the 3rd (and hopefully final) time. Who's with me?
Good luck everyone! :happy:
This will be my second application cycle!! Did you have a lot of waitlist movement from applying the first time to the second time?

Reactions: 1 user
First time applicant! Iowa is on my list. They have contract seats with my state since we don't have an in state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be my second application cycle!! Did you have a lot of waitlist movement from applying the first time to the second time?

I didn't make their list the first time around, only the second time. But I heard from other people that it moved faster last time

I didn't make their list the first time around, only the second time. But I heard from other people that it moved faster last time
Congrats on making it the second time that’s a huge accomplishment!! Hoping you get a seat this time! Way to never give up :)

Congrats on making it the second time that’s a huge accomplishment!! Hoping you get a seat this time! Way to never give up :)

Thank you! :happy: maybe we'll be classmates :D

Hey everyone! Third time applying, second time to iowa. I’ll be doing their one year biomedical sciences masters this year so if anyone has any questions about that or wants to see the school, I’m your girl!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! This is my third time applying, first time to Iowa state! Hoping this is the year and I look forward to meeting many of you ! Worried but hopeful :)

I just browsed the application requirements on the website, and it looks like the GRE is no longer required. Interesting. This seems to be a growing trend among schools over the past few cycles. I also wonder if they're going to bring interviews back? The c/o 2022 cycle was kind of a "trial run" for them in that regard.

Anyway, I'm no longer there anymore but I attended Iowa State's vet school for about two years (I was c/o 2020), so I should be able to answer most questions regarding the school and life in Ames, if you've got any.

Applying here this cycle, Iowa is one of my top choices :) I feel so behind but almost my whole application is done but these essays.

Applying here this cycle, Iowa is one of my top choices :) I feel so behind but almost my whole application is done but these essays.
It's ok, I haven't started a couple of essays yet either
I was able to reuse some essays for other schools that said they were good, but also applying to UF and they threw in some new ones on me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! Does anyone know if Iowa allows you to substitute some upper division bio classes in place of the general bio courses? Mine are over 8 years and don't really want to have to retake them. I've emailed the school a few weeks ago and haven't heard back.

To those that asked about waitlist stuff: I can tell you that in the c/o 2021 cycle (two cycles ago), they ran through the entire waitlist and actually ended up calling people for additional interviews. I was waitlisted at place 31 or something and was called off pretty quickly.

To those that asked about waitlist stuff: I can tell you that in the c/o 2021 cycle (two cycles ago), they ran through the entire waitlist and actually ended up calling people for additional interviews. I was waitlisted at place 31 or something and was called off pretty quickly.
The 2022 cycle they didn’t interview so they had a muuuch larger waitlist. Not sure where they are on it now because I took myself off, but they had gotten through at least a decent chunk of it last I had heard.

I thought I would start a this thread for those interested in Iowa State and want to know more about those who got accepted this past cycle! So if you were accepted please share your applicantion stats!

I thought I would start a this thread for those interested in Iowa State and want to know more about those who got accepted this past cycle! So if you were accepted please share your applicantion stats!
I would check out the following threads if you haven't already. There are multiple people who were accepted to ISU who have shared their stats.

Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020
Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2021
Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2022

I was able to reuse some essays for other schools that said they were good, but also applying to UF and they threw in some new ones on me lol
For the 3 essays in the VMCAS application, did you rewrite new ones? Or did you use your same responses from previous cycles? This is my second application cycle so I’m not sure what’s typically done. Or with Iowa’s supplement too.

For the 3 essays in the VMCAS application, did you rewrite new ones? Or did you use your same responses from previous cycles? This is my second application cycle so I’m not sure what’s typically done. Or with Iowa’s supplement too.

I reused the same ones. I received feedback from a few schools who said my responses were very good and didn't really need to be changed, so I figured if it aint broke, dont fix it lol

First-time applicant (and long-time lurker) here...officially decided to join the Iowa party. :)

I'm a transgender male ( FtM) and im debating about meantioning that in the diversity statement. I have a lot of other things to offer diversity wise but I feel like if I say something it might hurt my chances.

Woo yeah thats where im finishing up this weekend. That's my ISS and it's probably the hardest to write for.

Woo yeah thats where im finishing up this weekend. That's my ISS and it's probably the hardest to write for.

Yeah, it's my ISS too and some of these new essays are tricky! One in particular is stumping me. I'm going to go ahead and make a c/o 2023 applicants thread and see if anyone has any input.
As far as the diversity statement goes, I would like to think that it shouldn't hurt your chances, especially if they value diversity. I would hope that those reviewing applications are unbiased and non-judgemental in those aspects.

Yeah, it's my ISS too and some of these new essays are tricky! One in particular is stumping me. I'm going to go ahead and make a c/o 2023 applicants thread and see if anyone has any input.
As far as the diversity statement goes, I would like to think that it shouldn't hurt your chances, especially if they value diversity. I would hope that those reviewing applications are unbiased and non-judgemental in those aspects.
Feel free to dm me and bounce ideas off me. The 3 words one is difficult :/

Hi everyone, I recently decided to add Iowa to my list and was looking at the prerequisites and didn’t know if anyone knew if they had preferred elective classes? I know most schools want science ones, but I didn’t know since they didn’t specify if they just want the best grades in any class. Also good luck to everyone who’s already posted! We’re getting closer :)

Im almost finished I just need to edit my essays and then turn in all the supplemental fees which should be done by this week. Home stretch...while doing a masters thesis.

This will be my second application cycle. I was waitlisted at Iowa State last year and started at 155 out of 328 and ended up at 50 when they had filled the class. They are not adding back interviews, at least not this year. I am kind of upset they took out the GRE's because that only helped me most likely. The problem with reusing essays (they told me to add more related to why I want to be a veterinarian in conservation medicine because they thought the first 2 of my essays told them that I could do what I want to do without being a veterinarian, which wasn't true, so I added stuff about why as a veterinarian. Also, the length of the essays has increased and they usually want you to be close to the maximum length so I added to all of them except the diversity essay which they said they really liked.

third time applying to vet school, second time applying to iowa. got waitlisted last year, so hopefulyl good news this year!

Second application cycle, but first time applying to Iowa! Best of luck to everyone! :)

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw it out there that I'm a VM2 so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

2nd time applicant to Iowa State! Hoping w/o the GRE requirement that my GPA and experience will make me a bit more competitive as an applicant. GRE scores were pretty mediocre.

First time applicant here! Does anyone know what the diversity is like at Iowa State? Their selection criteria benefits me more than other vet schools so I’m really hoping I get accepted or placed on the waitlist for Sept 2019. My moms totally against me going there since I’m a poc and she thinks I wouldn’t fit in. Is she justified in these thoughts? I would imagine the vet school would be more accepting of different backgrounds since they have students from all over the world.

Overall the school is working harder each year to have a greater diversity at the Vet Med campus. The class of 2022 is the most diverse yet and has students from many states and 3 or 4 different countries.

First time applicant here! Does anyone know what the diversity is like at Iowa State? Their selection criteria benefits me more than other vet schools so I’m really hoping I get accepted or placed on the waitlist for Sept 2019. My moms totally against me going there since I’m a poc and she thinks I wouldn’t fit in. Is she justified in these thoughts? I would imagine the vet school would be more accepting of different backgrounds since they have students from all over the world.
Iowa from what I hear is pretty diverse or is trying to be. I get along with almost everyone so if I got in you'd have at least one person :D.

Hey guys, for the supplemental application can I mention jobs in the college activities/awards sections or does it have to be school related? I've had to support myself through college, so I don't have many activities in school due to the fact that I had to work 40 hours a week and school full-time. Thanks for the advice!

Hey guys, for the supplemental application can I mention jobs in the college activities/awards sections or does it have to be school related? I've had to support myself through college, so I don't have many activities in school due to the fact that I had to work 40 hours a week and school full-time. Thanks for the advice!
I would cover that in your explanation statement and your diversity essay.

In Academic Review starting today! Anyone already in committee review?

Did anyone submit everything but the status page still says incomplete? It's making me nervous lol everything on there says recieved or submitted. I cant remember if this was normal last year at this time

Hi! I'm interested in applying to Iowa State, but I can't update my transcripts to include a pre-requisite for physiology as "planned" since I have submitted my application to other schools. Does anyone know if I can still apply even though it is not listed on VMCAS? I have tried emailing them but I haven't received a response.

In Academic Review starting today! Anyone already in committee review?
First time applicant here, still not sure how all this works. Will they be weeding people out through the whole process, or waiting til February to send out rejections?

Hi! I'm interested in applying to Iowa State, but I can't update my transcripts to include a pre-requisite for physiology as "planned" since I have submitted my application to other schools. Does anyone know if I can still apply even though it is not listed on VMCAS? I have tried emailing them but I haven't received a response.
I would call over emailing ISU. You’ll get a much quicker reply if you call the school versus waiting for someone to have time to email you back, especially with it being so close to the deadline and them probably having tons of emails to go through.

Have you tried emailing Deanna Gerber? I emailed her a question about prerequisites yesterday and she replied the same day. Calling would also be a good idea.

First time applicant here, still not sure how all this works. Will they be weeding people out through the whole process, or waiting til February to send out rejections?
This is my second time applying and last cycle didn’t hear anything till feb 15 for acceptance waitlist or denied.

This is my second time applying and last cycle didn’t hear anything till feb 15 for acceptance waitlist or denied.
They said in the webinar that they won't decide until after fall transcripts are in. Don't slack off folks, Fall grades count :)

So on the ISU CVM application portal thing, on my status page it says my VMCAS has not yet been received.... mine was verified several days ago.... should I be concerned?

So on the ISU CVM application portal thing, on my status page it says my VMCAS has not yet been received.... mine was verified several days ago.... should I be concerned?
I wouldn’t worry, it took about a week to verify my application. Then a week after my supplemental payment to be in academic review

For the supplemental application, they ask for high school activities and awards....it's been 10+ years since I've been out of high school! What did y'all non-traditional applicants put? I honestly can't remember any awards that stood out.