Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else have their VMCAS Application Status as "Not yet received"? I was verified a few weeks ago and they've got my GPA...but not my VMCAS. My Application Status still says "none".

My application status still says none, I messaged to make sure that I had everything and they said they are just still processing. That being said, my VMCAS is listed as received. You could always just message to verify they have everything if you’re worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else have their VMCAS Application Status as "Not yet received"? I was verified a few weeks ago and they've got my GPA...but not my VMCAS. My Application Status still says "none".

I messaged them and they said they had 1598 applicants, since my application says verified I shouldn't worry. They said the closer you submitted to the deadline the longer it would take to hear back.

Reactions: 1 users
I messaged them and they said they had 1598 applicants, since my application says verified I shouldn't worry. They said the closer you submitted to the deadline the longer it would take to hear back.

WOW. I feel like that's a lot of applicants. Do they normally have that many?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is more than the last couple of cycles. This is probably due to the fact that interviews are gone plus with the GRE being removed this cycle that encourages more people to apply as well.

It is more than the last couple of cycles. This is probably due to the fact that interviews are gone plus with the GRE being removed this cycle that encourages more people to apply as well.

Oh, right. Welp. I'm nervous about it being similar at other schools, so many, the majority I applied to, eliminated the GRE requirement, and I think it hurts more than helps me (and others) - not only because my GRE scores were okay, but because now we're up against so many more applicants. Maybe I'm looking at it in the wrong way, and I don't know about anyone else, but this makes me that much more anxious :(

Has anyone disputed grade calculations?
My cumulative gpa is the only thing calculated so far and I was under the impression that they only calculate with final attempt grades. So I expected mine to be a bit higher than they calculated it to be.

Has anyone disputed grade calculations?
Actually, disregard my post. They only consider science gpa and last 45 so they probably don’t recalculate cumulative gpa. I’ll have to wait and see what they calculate those as.

Actually, disregard my post. They only consider science gpa and last 45 so they probably don’t recalculate cumulative gpa. I’ll have to wait and see what they calculate those as.
They use vmcas for that ( mine was low due to bad hardships in undergrad..living in my friends basement for a bit with a bird and a rabbit due to a flood amongst a lot of other things)

I was actually moved to committee review despite severe doubts. I hope it's accurate. For anyone concerned with their academics, I was moved forward with sub-3.2 GPAs in all 3 categories. There's hope - hang in there and best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was sent to committee review today. Do you have to "pass through" academic review before they send you to committee review or do they send everyone to committee review as long as you have about the minimum GPA? The science GPA they calculated for me is way lower than what was calculated for other schools, so it made me nervous that I wouldn't get passed academic review.

I was sent to committee review today. Do you have to "pass through" academic review before they send you to committee review or do they send everyone to committee review as long as you have about the minimum GPA? The science GPA they calculated for me is way lower than what was calculated for other schools, so it made me nervous that I wouldn't get passed academic review.

In a webinar I attended, the admissions folks had said that they set an academic threshold (which varies every year) that students must pass through before being moved onto committee review. They had said that the threshold is generally fairly low, but did not specify a number.

Because of the surge in applications this year, despite the 2.5 minimum, I imagine they rejected any cumulative GPAs under 3.0. That's just my own speculation, though. Doing so would have probably significantly decreased the amount of applications sent to the committee for review. My required science course GPA was just under a 3.0 and I was moved forward, so that's why I say cumulative GPA and not one of the other categories.

In a webinar I attended, the admissions folks had said that they set an academic threshold (which varies every year) that students must pass through before being moved onto committee review. They had said that the threshold is generally fairly low, but did not specify a number.

Because of the surge in applications this year, despite the 2.5 minimum, I imagine they rejected any cumulative GPAs under 3.0. That's just my own speculation, though. Doing so would have probably significantly decreased the amount of applications sent to the committee for review. My required science course GPA was just under a 3.0 and I was moved forward, so that's why I say cumulative GPA and not one of the other categories.

Thank you! I was hoping that there was at least some form of academic threshold that had to be met when i saw that I was passed on to committee review because it just makes me feel a bit better. Good luck!

My cumulative was a 2.87 ( hardships galore dm for elaboration) and ive been in committee review for a bit, so maybe it varies?

My cumulative was a 2.87 ( hardships galore dm for elaboration) and ive been in committee review for a bit, so maybe it varies?

I don't know about Iowa, but another school I applied to puts students in committee review and then keeps them there a while because they want to look at the rest of the applicants before offering interview/admission/waitlist/rejection. Usually because they are a good applicant but the applicant pool is more competitive than normal.

I don't know about Iowa, but another school I applied to puts students in committee review and then keeps them there a while because they want to look at the rest of the applicants before offering interview/admission/waitlist/rejection. Usually because they are a good applicant but the applicant pool is more competitive than normal.
Yeah my science and last 45 are good but my cumulative was averaged and I had a horrible time in undergrad due to house flooding, my grandfather who raised me dying after taking care of him for most of undergrad, working two jobs etc. So hoping its the fact they saw I am getting my MS in december.

The science GPA they calculated for me is way lower than what was calculated for other schools, so it made me nervous that I wouldn't get passed academic review.
The science gpa for Iowa State is the science prereqs, which probably are not the same courses for the other schools you applied to. Like the vmcas science gpa is alllll of your science classes.

The science gpa for Iowa State is the science prereqs, which probably are not the same courses for the other schools you applied to. Like the vmcas science gpa is alllll of your science classes.
They take the highest grade for Iowa for the science pre-reqs but the cumulative is averaged

Yeah they were saying their science gpa for Iowa State was lower than other schools calculated. Retakes wouldn’t make it go down.
Yeah they were saying their science gpa for Iowa State was lower than other schools calculated. Retakes wouldn’t make it go down.
My science was also much lower, makes me think they made a mistake

Ask them what they used to calculate it. They will tell you. It’s only a couple classes. And if by some small chance they DID make a mistake they can correct it.
Yes, I have contacted them. Waiting on a reply now!

Recieved an e-mail from Iowa State over the weekend, sadly I was denied. My cumulative GPA for Iowa State (3.14) was lower than my actual cumulative GPA (3.26) and their calculated science GPA for me was a 2.52. The e-mail said my GPAs weren't competitive. Just thought I would let everyone know they've started sending out rejection e-mails already. Good luck to the rest of you all! :)

Recieved an e-mail from Iowa State over the weekend, sadly I was denied. My cumulative GPA for Iowa State (3.14) was lower than my actual cumulative GPA (3.26) and their calculated science GPA for me was a 2.52. The e-mail said my GPAs weren't competitive. Just thought I would let everyone know they've started sending out rejection e-mails already. Good luck to the rest of you all! :)
Are you in state or out of state?

Trying to send you a DM about this.

Mine still says none. What did yours change to?

Mine changed from “None” to “In Academic Review”. They still don’t have my science or last 45 GPA calculated as of today yet though.

Mine changed from “None” to “In Academic Review”. They still don’t have my science or last 45 GPA calculated as of today yet though.

Don't worry my friend who got an interview with LMU was at none last I checked ( we are applying to many of the same schools), so it's most likely due to when you turned in your app and supplemental.

When did you submit your application?

Wow this stresses me out. I’m sorry to hear this. You’ll get in somewhere else, keep your head up!

Were you moved to committee review at all or did you just stay in academic review?

Mine changed to "in academic review." Does anyone know how long they were in academic review before hearing rejections or moved into committee review?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Only a few days for me, I submitted my app the 21st of September and posted above on the 22nd of October saying in committee review, but the week before (not sure the day I checked) it still said none, and I didn’t have calculated GPA’s.

I emailed admissions bc my science gpa is lower than I expected it to be and they showed me what classes were used in recalculations. I told them I had retaken two classes and they were unaware that I had retaken classes and will recalculate my gpa!

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed admissions bc my science gpa is lower than I expected it to be and they showed me what classes were used in recalculations. I told them I had retaken two classes and they were unaware that I had retaken classes and will recalculate my gpa!

what courses are used

Good morning all,
I sent a message asking if we have made it passed the academic review and into the committee review are we academically in the clear or will there be any backtracking after the committee review and this was the response I received:
86D2E603-5509-4926-ACA2-58D166BC4AB2.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users