Technology iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The HP Slate as announced a few months ago by HP turned out to be vaporware, Now who is to say that this won't turn out to be vaporware also?

Members don't see this ad.

The HP Slate as announced a few months ago by HP turned out to be vaporware, Now who is to say that this won't turn out to be vaporware also?

Vaporware?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/193527/hp_slate_specs_prices_revealed.html
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/03/19...-to-cost-400-euro-arriving-in-june-this-year/
HP Slate Pricing and Release Date Confirmed; HP Tablet PC to Cost 400 Euro, Arriving in June This Year

Google is your friend.

Again has it been released yet? No, until it's actually released it's vaporware and I'll call it such until that time. The iPad was vaporware until it was actually sold so is the next version of the iPhone. Just because a few individuals have used prototypes doesn't make it an actual product

During a call with analysts to explain its purchase of Palm, HP was evasive about whether or not it will still release its Microsoft Windows-based Slate.

An analyst asked what HP would be doing with its iPad-rival. HP's Todd Bradley responded, "We haven't made roadmap announcements," but that HP will explain its Slate plans in more detail when the Palm deal closes.

Source

So it looks like whatever ideas they had for the HP slate are up in the air which doesn't bode well for a product they were supposed to ship this year.

If they can put together a decent device great but if they decide to go the route of the WebOS as the OS for the device they'll have trouble attracting developers. Why? Because the iPad is a more visible device, having sold over 400K in the first week alone that's an attractive platform to develop for so why spend time and resources on a platform that will have only a fraction of that. I know there will be some individuals who decide for one reason or another that the HP Slate (if it's ever released) or the various other iPad clones. but first show me a shipping product and then we can talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again has it been released yet? No, until it's actually released it's vaporware and I'll call it such until that time. The iPad was vaporware until it was actually sold so is the next version of the iPhone. Just because a few individuals have used prototypes doesn't make it an actual product.

Vaporware is a product that is announced and never released, like the Phantom game console (remember that?). These are announced products with a release schedule.

You can't just make up your own definitions for words and then use them expecting people to understand you.

It's been canceled for now due to the purchase of Palm. They want to integrate the Palm OS into their mobile products and that's going to take a long time.

The iPad was not vaporware at first. It was a rumor. The next iPhone is not vaporware either.

Joo Joo...HP Slate...MS Courier...webOS Slate...put any UI on a tablet and it looks exciting. Making something work right in when sitting in your hands is another thing.

Vaporware is a word used to describe products, usually computer hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their developer, or announced months or years before their release

Source

I stand corrected about my definition of vaporware, I still contend that the HP Slate is vaporware.

Looks like Jobs wasn't kidding about his "No Flash" policy:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2910998620100429

Apple's Jobs Slams Adobe's Flash Technology
By Gabriel Madway

Apple Inc Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Thursday sharply criticized Adobe Systems popular Flash multimedia software, calling it unreliable and ill-suited for mobile devices, escalating a pitched battle between the two companies.

Analysts said Jobs' pointed, nearly 1,700-word manifesto -- which Apple posted on its website -- helped push Adobe's shares down more than 1 percent, as it highlighted concerns about the future of Flash.

In an open letter entitled "Thoughts on Flash," Jobs laid out a laundry list of complaints about the technology, raising questions about its security, "technical drawbacks," and power-management. Click here to read the letter: here

"Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs," he said. "But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards -- all areas where Flash falls short."

Jobs said Flash is "closed" because it is a proprietary system from Adobe, which controls everything from its features to its pricing. Similar charges are routinely lobbed at Apple's products and services, such as the App Store and iTunes.

Flash-based video and games are found on many Internet sites, but Apple has not allowed Flash on its iPhone and iPad.

"Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven -- they say we want to protect our App Store -- but in reality it is based on technology issues. Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true," Jobs said.

Adobe declined to comment. But in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Chief Executive Shantanu Narayen called the technology problems noted by Jobs "a smokescreen."

He also denied Flash is a closed platform and said Apple's restrictiveness makes it difficult for developers who create applications for multiple devices.

According to the Journal's website, Narayen labeled Jobs' letter an "extraordinary attack."

The hostility between Apple and Adobe has been brewing for months. Apple has criticized Flash as a buggy battery hog, while Adobe has accused Apple of exerting tyrannical control over developers creating programs for the iPhone and iPad.

The rhetoric has grown ever more heated. Earlier this month, Flash "platform evangelist" Lee Brimelow ended a blog post by saying, "Go screw yourself Apple."

Jefferies & Co analyst Ross MacMillan said the letter from Apple's CEO didn't raise any new criticisms about Flash, but simply put them on a very public pedestal.

"It's not positive in the sense that what Jobs is outlining is that Flash is in effect yesterday's technology and we shouldn't consider it as go-forward technology."

Jobs said he was concerned that allowing Flash-based applications on Apple's mobile devices would leave it "at the mercy" of a third party.

"We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform," he said.

Broadpoint AmTech analyst Brian Marshall said Apple clearly wanted to fire back to critics who have complained about the lack of Flash on its mobile devices.

And he said Apple also wanted to make clear that it doesn't plan to cede an inch of control on its fast-growing mobile platform, which now boasts more than 200,000 apps.

JOBS GOES PUBLIC AGAIN

Jobs has taken on an increasingly public role over the past few months, sitting down for magazine profiles and responding frequently to emails from Apple customers.

The enigmatic Apple CEO has a history of issuing public treatises on hot-button issues. In 2007, Jobs posted two such essays, "Thoughts on Music" -- where he urged for the abolition of the digital rights management system for music -- and "A Greener Apple," where he responded to criticism from environmental groups.

In his essay on Flash, Jobs said that while Apple's operating system for iPhone and iPad is proprietary, the company prefers open standards for the Web and favors technologies such HTML5 for creating multimedia programs.

Adobe has said 75 percent of all video on the web are Flash-based. Popular Flash-based sites such as Hulu can't run on the iPhone or iPad. But sites like YouTube have worked around this by specially designing non-Flash apps for those devices.

Jobs noted that outlets such as Netflix, ESPN, newspapers and TV networks have all designed offerings that can be played on its devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost went blind from the sheer irony of what Jobs said in the bolded sections of the above article.

Again has it been released yet? No, until it's actually released it's vaporware and I'll call it such until that time. The iPad was vaporware until it was actually sold so is the next version of the iPhone. Just because a few individuals have used prototypes doesn't make it an actual product

So anything that isn't released is called vaporware???? If thats your definition of the word then all products due in the pipeline for release this year are vaporware. Lol....does your definition include newspapers? I was so looking forward to reading the NY Times tomorrow, but it isn't on the printing press yet so I guess its vaporware. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
So anything that isn't released is called vaporware???? If thats your definition of the word then all products due in the pipeline for release this year are vaporware. Lol....does your definition include newspapers? I was so looking forward to reading the NY Times tomorrow, but it isn't on the printing press yet so I guess its vaporware. :mad:

He admitted he had it wrong, let's not drag it out.

He admitted he had it wrong, let's not drag it out.

My bad then, I didn't read his other response before I replied. However, Slevin still thinks its vaporware;

If HP decides not to release the slate after all the announcements they've made, then yes, I would consider it vaporware. However, in their Palm/HP investor call 2 days ago, the slate is still mentioned in their slides.

thumb_450_hp-palm-tablet.png

So we could still see the slate coming up this year, it could just be running a different OS. I'm not convinced its vaporware.

Last edited:
My bad then, I didn't read his other response before I replied. However, Slevin still thinks its vaporware;

If HP decides not to release the slate after all the announcements they've made, then yes, I would consider it vaporware. However, in their Palm/HP investor call 2 days ago, the slate is still mentioned in their slides.

So we could still see the slate coming up this year, it could just be running a different OS. I'm not convinced its vaporware.

The OS change seems official - HP recently announced that they're canceling the Win7 version.

A question about files:

I have been looking at some of the apps that can read pdf files; however, here is my question: I have several books in pdf format and would like to have them on my iPad. What is the most efrecient way to do this? I guess I could look at a kindle or iBook download if available; however, I do not want to blow money on another "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine" if I do not have to.

There are several good apps for this. I like goodreader the best as it has a pretty good org structure for storing your files and it allows you pull files directly from you comp. If you want to mark up your PDF I use iannotate PDF which allows you to highlight and draw on them, and then save it. I also read online that you can convert PDF into an ereader file format so you can use apples ereader app which is pretty cool, though I don't know how to do this yet.

A question about files:

I have been looking at some of the apps that can read pdf files; however, here is my question: I have several books in pdf format and would like to have them on my iPad. What is the most efrecient way to do this? I guess I could look at a kindle or iBook download if available; however, I do not want to blow money on another "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine" if I do not have to.

Well it didn't take long for the iPad to reach baller status

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/03/ipad-hits-1-million-sold-faster-than-the-iphone/

iPad hits 1 million sold - faster than the iPhone

Posted: 10:02 AM ET
Will the iPad be bigger than the iPhone?

That's true in a physical sense, obviously. Apple's iPhone fits in your pocket. Its iPad - which is a touch-screen computer without a keyboard - would look ridiculous if you put it up to your ear.

But the iPad, it turns out, is also bigger in terms of initial sales.

Apple on Monday announced it has sold 1 million iPad computers in the 28 days the device has been available. The iPhone, which debuted in 2007, didn't hit the million mark until 74 days after it went on sale.

“Demand continues to exceed supply and we’re working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers," Apple CEO Steve Jobs says in a press release.

That begs the question: Will the iPad end up being a bigger hit than the iPhone, which has revolutionized the smartphone industry?

It's very early, and the iPad still has a long way to go. While 1 million iPads have been sold this year, the analyst firm Piper Jaffray says 36 millions iPhones will be sold this year worldwide, according to the blog AppleInsider.

It's also important to note that the iPhone cost $499 and $599 when it first hit the market. Sales didn't really take off until 2008, when Apple slashed the entry-level price of the device to $200, putting it within reach of more consumers.

Let us know what you think in the comments. What, if anything, do these sales figures mean? Is the iPad on track to change popular computing the way the iPhone changed what a mobile phone could be?

Gates on Microsoft's tablet projects:
"Microsoft has a lot of different tablet projects that we're pursuing. We think that work with the pen that Microsoft pioneered will become a mainstream for students. It can give you a device that you can not only read, but also create documents at the same time."

Using a pen based stylus is backwards. MS still doesn't get it

I disagree. Fingers are just too blunt of an instrument for many tasks. I know more than a few guys with bear paws for hands, trying to do multi-touch gestures on an iPhone for them is good for a laugh, but that's about it.

I hadn't thought of it that way, I stand corrected in that regard. However if they are developing the entire OS as a stylus based device then that's a failure but if the stylus is in addition to a touch screen that's not so bad.

I also found styluses for the iPhone family of devices, would work well in the winter so you don't have to take off your gloves

I really am considering getting an iPad and went as far as to order one from the Apple store but canceled at the last minute. I have an iphone and a desktop computer and I'm really not sure where the ipad would fit into my daily activities. I buy tons of crap to watch through iTunes and would probably use it mainly for that, but when I'm at home why not connect my PC to the 47" HDTV and watch them through that rather than a 9.7" screen? Oh yeah, I don't even need iTunes, I can do that through my xbox.

I guess I really answered the reason for creating my reply. The iPad fulfills a weird middle-ground between the iphone and a real notebook computer, a place that I don't think is really very necessary. If you need to do work while out of the house but it isn't detailed or important enough to do on a notebook, couldn't you just wait to do it when you get home? The ipad lacks the portability of the iphone and really doesn't do anything more than I would need to do on my phone.

The whole gadget seems a bit pointless.

How else will you write on documents and draw?

I can't find the link, but apparently the rumor for the next iPad is that you can think about what you want to draw while holding the brain sensor and the iPad will draw it. Not sure if it will work for text or for industry-specific language like medical terminology. Anyways, pens will be obsolete, one way or another.

I really am considering getting an iPad and went as far as to order one from the Apple store but canceled at the last minute. I have an iphone and a desktop computer and I'm really not sure where the ipad would fit into my daily activities. I buy tons of crap to watch through iTunes and would probably use it mainly for that, but when I'm at home why not connect my PC to the 47" HDTV and watch them through that rather than a 9.7" screen? Oh yeah, I don't even need iTunes, I can do that through my xbox.

I guess I really answered the reason for creating my reply. The iPad fulfills a weird middle-ground between the iphone and a real notebook computer, a place that I don't think is really very necessary. If you need to do work while out of the house but it isn't detailed or important enough to do on a notebook, couldn't you just wait to do it when you get home? The ipad lacks the portability of the iphone and really doesn't do anything more than I would need to do on my phone.

The whole gadget seems a bit pointless.

It's great for travel - the iphone's screen is a little tinny for video, and the battery life is phenomenal (10 hours no matter what). I'll be buying one because I hate carting my MacBook and its power cord all over the place. It's also supposed to be a nice ebook reader - what it loses by not having e-ink it makes up by being able to do a ton of other stuff. Basically, the space this will save in my travel bag, which is usually brimming with books and crammed to bursting with laptop crap, is well worth the buy.

I have an Apple TV, so I don't need the iPad for home media, but it'll be good for all those times I need a small computer to take with me. If you add a capacitative stylus (pogo or one of its competitors), the iPad becomes a mobile sketchpad/notebook, as well. I also would use it in the kitchen - largescreen recipe apps are great cookbook replacers.

As far as work stuff, it can run Osirix, and all the other medical apps that are on the iPhone are supposed to be on their way. The productivity apps are more than enough to get real work done without carting along a full computer, and it doesn't matter that there are some feature limitations, because I can just use my laptop for final formatting later.

Can a laptop do most of these things? Sure, but not nearly as well (in some cases) or as conveniently (in others).

Does everyone need one? No, of course not - it's a luxury item. Strictly speaking, nobody needs laptops or cell phones either - we got along fine in the age of desktops and pagers. The device may not have universal appeal, but that doesn't make it useless.

I caved and ordered an iPad... Le Sigh

Arrives no later than may 20th..

Double Le Sigh

Be sure to post your impressions whenever you do get it! I can't afford one 'till work starts, so I have to live vicariously :D

I would, but its at the minimum a 1.5 hour drive from where I am. Oh and the 2nd most important reason I don't go to the store and pick one up is that they are out of stock

Really? Ours seems to just have them lying all over the place. I guess MI people aren't really in the market for iPads right now.

I would, but its at the minimum a 1.5 hour drive from where I am. Oh and the 2nd most important reason I don't go to the store and pick one up is that they are out of stock

Make it work.-Tim Gunn

People from Minnesota talk funny. ;)

(I grew up in Michigan.)

I'm in the process of The Big Move. I changed my location to Minnesota in a fit of excitement, even though I won't be there for another 3 weeks, because I'm there in spirit, dammit ;)

I'm in MI now, though. Whereabouts in MI?

Getting back to the iPad...there was a discussion on one of the podcasts that for as much discussion we are having about tablet computing, there really have only been two successful tablet computers - ever:

This one:
palm-pilot.jpg

And this one:
ipad-gallery-2-400x300.jpg

The iPhone doesn't really count since it's primary utility is as a phone. In other words, consumers have rarely found any reason to use the tablet form factor for computing. All other implementations have ultimately failed without getting much traction.

Getting back to the iPad...there was a discussion on one of the podcasts that for as much discussion we are having about tablet computing, there really have only been two successful tablet computers - ever:

This one:
palm-pilot.jpg

And this one:
ipad-gallery-2-400x300.jpg

The iPhone doesn't really count since it's primary utility is as a phone. In other words, consumers have rarely found any reason to use the tablet form factor for computing. All other implementations have ultimately failed without getting much traction.

What about the iPod touch?

I actually use my iPhone more for other uses than making phone calls. So to say it's primarily a phone is not entirely correct, usage depends on the individual.

I wouldn't call anything with a handheld form factor a "tablet" or "slate." Sure, they all have a touchscreen, but the smaller size of handheld devices puts them into a different category. Tablets have traditionally been larger devices, closer in size to laptops...like the iPad.

I wouldn't call anything with a handheld form factor a "tablet" or "slate." Sure, they all have a touchscreen, but the smaller size of handheld devices puts them into a different category. Tablets have traditionally been larger devices, closer in size to laptops...like the iPad.

I would agree, however I was just illustrating the problem with the OP's argument that the iPhone cannot be called a tablet because it's main function is a phone

The difference is that almost everyone needs a mobile phone these days so buying an iPhone does not mean that the user is doing tablet-style computing. Apparently, only 75% of iPhone users actually download content from iTunes:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/npd-75-percent-of-us-iphone-ipod-touch-users-download-content/

However, buying a PDA or tablet means that the user is specifically looking for a separate device to do slate-style computing. Looking back over the past couple of decades, there have only been two tablet-style devices that have gained any broad consumer acceptance: the Palm Pilot and the iPad.

Devices that didn't catch on include: the Newton; Tablet PC (Fujitsu, PaceBlade); Pocket PC, OQO, Joo Joo. Devices that never made it to market now include the HP Slate and Microsoft Courier. All of these have been discussed on forums like this as being the future of mobile computing.

My point is that just because the iPad has sold 2 million units already does not mean that the tablet computing revolution is here and all companies have to do is churn them out for the masses like they do notebooks and netbooks. Every user interface looks great on a slate. The devil is in the details including: speed & responsiveness of the UI, battery life, available apps, media availability, peripherals, retail outlets, etc.

Last edited: