Technology iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That has to be one of the most fallacious statements ever written on this forum.

Windows looks like crap no matter what device it's on. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Just take any UI and slap it onto some nice looking tablet hardware and people will get all excited about it.

Microsoft-HP-Slate,M-3-235371-13.jpg

WePad.jpg

MS-courier-booklet-450x337.jpg

mac_tablet_mockup_001_perspective-thumb-450x306-31854.jpg

icd-ultra-android-tablet_1.jpg

joojoo.jpg

HP_webos_tablet_mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...because they're stupid and like pretty, shiny mock-ups.

Actually, the UI on all of those look pretty horrendous. All they did was Photoshop random screen grabs onto make-believe tablets. Not one of those interfaces actually looks like you could do anything useful with it. What's with that "virtual iPod wheel" and incomplete onscreen keyboard...? Even the HP/WebOS mockup looks stupid, because it uses screen grabs from the Pre despite the fact that the tablet's screen is much larger and in a different orientation. You can be certain that it won't look like that on the actual device.

I've had my iPad 3g for almost 2 weeks now and have had a mixed experience with it so far... It's a great product, but I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it quite yet. It's certainly far easier to carry around when you're traveling, that's a given, but I can't seem to find a ton of uses for it while I'm in the house. I mainly use it at night to surf the web while I'm lounging in bed...or to play those crazy hidden object games with the fiancee. It's nice to read ebooks on, and gives me a better reading experience than I expected but I miss holding a book in my hand. It would be perfect for vacations but I guess the jury is still out on how much I'm going to find myself using it in the house. I still find myself wanting to sit down at my workstation with the extra screen real estate, keyboard and mouse.

What are you guys using yours for so far? I find myself racking my brain to find more ways to use the damn thing...

I've had my iPad 3g for almost 2 weeks now and have had a mixed experience with it so far... It's a great product, but I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it quite yet. It's certainly far easier to carry around when you're traveling, that's a given, but I can't seem to find a ton of uses for it while I'm in the house. I mainly use it at night to surf the web while I'm lounging in bed...or to play those crazy hidden object games with the fiancee. It's nice to read ebooks on, and gives me a better reading experience than I expected but I miss holding a book in my hand. It would be perfect for vacations but I guess the jury is still out on how much I'm going to find myself using it in the house. I still find myself wanting to sit down at my workstation with the extra screen real estate, keyboard and mouse.

What are you guys using yours for so far? I find myself racking my brain to find more ways to use the damn thing...

...kind of proves my point in this thread

two things

First "This is how Apple Rolls"

This is how the designers and engineers at Apple roll: They roll.

They take something small, simple, and painstakingly well considered. They ruthlessly cut features to derive the absolute minimum core product they can start with. They polish those features to a shiny intensity. At an anticipated media event, Apple reveals this core product as its Next Big Thing, and explains—no, wait, it simply shows—how painstakingly thoughtful and well designed this core product is. The company releases the product for sale.

Look at What You Get for $499 in an Android Tablet

A piece of crap. Three pounds, slow, poor battery life, 4 GB of built-in storage, doesn't work with YouTube, and no support for Android Marketplace apps. All for the same price as a 16 GB iPad.

Or, you could pay just $199 and get the 7-inch Archos 7 Android tablet. It too is slow ("most apps take four to five seconds to open"), it too does not support apps from the Android Marketplace, it doesn't have an accelerometer, it uses a resistive (rather than capacitive) touchscreen, and it runs the year-old Android 1.5 OS and there's no way to upgrade it.

And finally (I know I said two but I don't feel like changing it) I'm not always an Apple fan boy, I try to look at the other side of the fence

Hulu Sticking With Flash For Now, Says HTML5 Not Ready Yet

When it comes to technology, our only guiding principle is to best serve the needs of all of our key customers: our viewers, our content partners who license programs to us, our advertisers, and each other. We continue to monitor developments on HTML5, but as of now it doesn't yet meet all of our customers' needs. Our player doesn't just simply stream video, it must also secure the content, handle reporting for our advertisers, render the video using a high performance codec to ensure premium visual quality, communicate back with the server to determine how long to buffer and what bitrate to stream, and dozens of other things that aren't necessarily visible to the end user. Not all video sites have these needs, but for our business these are all important and often contractual requirements.

That's not to say these features won't be added to HTML5 in the future (or be easier to implement). Technology is a fast-moving space and we're constantly evaluating which tools will best allow us to fulfill our mission for as many of our customers as possible.

It would be nice to have Hulu on the iDevices but I bit torrent all my TV shows anyway so I don't really use their service although others might have liked it

You'd think that if Netflix (which has an iPad app that streams movies and TV shows) could figure out how to do it using HTML5, so could Hulu.

I know if Netflix could figure it out I don't know why hulu can't. As of right now Hulu isn't even subscription based but you know, eventually they will come out with an HTML 5 compliant app

I know if Netflix could figure it out I don't know why hulu can't. As of right now Hulu isn't even subscription based but you know, eventually they will come out with an HTML 5 compliant app

Hulu is trying to figure out a way to charge extra money for the privilege and convince content providers that the world won't end if mobile devices can play TV.

Seriously, that's what they're doing. It's stupid. The tech is there, they've basically had an app in development since last year (they promised us an app before last September), but they can't put one out until the TV people are happy, and the only way the TV people will be happy is if they can juice more cash out of us for watching the same video in lower quality on our phones that we pay for on our big screens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crikey. I knew some people tracked their packages, but you take it to another level...

Tick, tock, tick, tock...don't wear a bare spot in your rug walking back and forth looking for the Fed-Ex/UPS guy.

Oh when I said I actually meant I picked it up from the FedEx location didn't feel like waiting around all day for them to drop it off to me

Oh, well cool then!

What do ya think?

The Spirit iPad jailbreak is up and running:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrVHIR4yRc[/YOUTUBE]

I think the seed has been planted, we just need to work on wearing her down.

Just bought (and am posting from) mine. No complaints so far!

Nice, Wifi or 3G?

WiFi, the hospital at my school doesn't get great reception anyway, and I figure that if I need Internet on the go, I'll just use my phone. I went for 16gb, because I foresee more cloud-based stuff launching in the future (a la lala) and figured 16 would be good for now.

My only complaint so far is that yahoo hasn't made a native YIM app yet.

The Palm Pre's integrated messaging app includes AIM and Google Messenger accounts as well as SMS/MMS. Very cool to have everything in one place.

I use the AIM app on my iPad. I like the way it integrates Twitter and Facebook chat, as well.

I typically use Meebo on my phone and my laptop, but I switch to the official YIM client for file transfers.

Beejive looks great, but at $9.99, it's a little more than i'm willing to spend on IM (i only IM like 2 people). I guess I'll just wait for the official client to drop - it has to eventually.

So, I posted this question earlier, not realizing there was an entire thread devoted to the iPad.

Anyone finding some use for the iPad in medical school--easy way to review power points, lecture notes, etc?

So, I posted this question earlier, not realizing there was an entire thread devoted to the iPad.

Anyone finding some use for the iPad in medical school--easy way to review power points, lecture notes, etc?
During your first two years, probably not. Probably won't have any real need for an iPad (same goes for a smartphone) during preclinical but once you get to the wards... I don't know, I'll let you know in about a month and a half

At the store now testing the tpuch typing on tthe ipad.....i thi kill stick with thr keyboard.

---

Alright, back from the store, heres my first impression after actually using the device --

- it looks smaller in real life than the pictures and videos I've seen online; or I just have really big hands
- could be a fair bit lighter; hands were getting a bit tired after holding it up for about 15 minutes.
- snappy & smooth -- I was kind of surprise how everything just flowed; browsing the web feels more like an extension of your hand
- screen is extremely crisp and clear, websites load fast.
- didn't like the black border taking up screen estate.
- like how you can rotate it any direction to fit how you like to use it
- photo app is awesome. Why buy a digital picture frame when you can get one of these?
- Needs multi-tasking support (which hopefully will be addressed in the near future)
- Needs a file browser/manager (I don't see this happening, unless you jailbreak) to be used as a serious potential work buddy.
- I can see myself loading up all my PDFs and reading on the ipad (screen renders quite nicely from the test pdfs I viewed), but managing them on the device might be problematic
- Built-in camera (next edition?)
- Would work great as a traveling companion; however someone needs to bring out a travel keyboard, perhaps something that folds into the ipad (akin laptop)
- Feels less like a slate computer, more like a consumer entertainment device (good or bad?)
- Would work great in a clinic when you need to present information to patients.

If Steve Jobs, can lower the price, and add those features, I can see it as a serious netbook contender.

Last edited:
could be a fair bit lighter; hands were getting a bit tired after holding it up for about 15 minutes.

If I have to hold it one-handed for any length of time, I hold it so the lower left corner of the iPad rests on my left volar forearm, with my left hand gripping the right side of the device. This puts the weight of the device on the arm and avoids wrist and hand muscle fatigue. Using a silicon case helps, too.

didn't like the black border taking up screen estate.

The border is needed to give your thumb or fingers a place to grip the device on the front without triggering any actions on the touch-sensitive portion of the screen.

Needs multi-tasking support (which hopefully will be addressed in the near future)

Coming with the November OS update.

Needs a file browser/manager (I don't see this happening, unless you jailbreak) to be used as a serious potential work buddy.

Try using the Air Sharing and Dropbox apps (available in the app store). These help tremendously with moving and printing files.

Built-in camera (next edition?)

Why? The iPad would make an unwieldy camera, and as far as video conferencing goes, do you really want people looking up your nose?

Would work great as a traveling companion; however someone needs to bring out a travel keyboard, perhaps something that folds into the ipad (akin laptop)

Apple makes a keyboard with a dock connector specifically for the iPad, and you should be able to use it with any Bluetooth keyboard, as well. I suppose the fold-up keyboard will eventually be attempted by some third party, but these sorts of things never really did well in the PDA world, and I don't see them doing well in the iPad world, either. They simply don't fit with the portable nature of the device itself.

Addendum: found this one from Brando. Yuck. http://www.gadgetvenue.com/apple-ipad-bluetooth-keyboard-brando-05042512/

Feels less like a slate computer, more like a consumer entertainment device (good or bad?)

That's good, IMO. Slate computers haven't exactly taken the world by storm.

Last edited by a moderator: