This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupaSham

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in pursuing IR, and as a DO this is really hard to do via the integrated pathway, and in general. So the advice I've gotten is --> high quality DR program-->high quality IR fellowship. The best route for this is probably a program that has ESIR, so that I'll have a better chance of getting into a residency (DR over DR/IR) and some flexibility, in case I decide on a different fellowship.

-With that in mind, how much pressure is on me at this time to have good away rotations, letters, research etc? I'm unsure what matters towards applying for ESIR, or if anyone knows.

-Do I try to overbook aways, knowing I won't get all the ones I apply for? My worry here is I'll be accepted at overlapping dates, and a lot of them are month long, so I can only do so many that will matter.

-Lastly, I don't really know where to apply for aways. I know I'll apply in state (OH), and possibly others in surrounding states. But do I try to go for really reach programs (ie top 20 DR programs according to Doximity) or is that not a worthwhile strategy?

Feel free to PM or ask for more clarity. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user