Is Anesthesiology one of the best specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brains

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new, but I was wondering if Anesthesiology is one of the best professions to be in. I work with a lot of doctors, and it seems to me that anesthesiologists really enjoy their work and are happy with themselves. I see alot of ER docs and they look way more stressed out. Also, out of the all the anesthesiologists I've talked to, they all have really nice schedules and don't have to work odd hours. Is this true? I really want to go into this field. However, alot of people say I won't have any idea until I get there.

Thanks for any help,
Jennifer

Members don't see this ad.

who are you asking about their stress level and schedule?

I would venture to say anesthesiologist on an hour to hour basis in the hospital anesthesiologists work the hardest and longest hours..

we put in 8-10 hour days at the hospital and it is spent with the patient.. and if you have sick patients like i do.. that adds to your stress level..

You dont have the luxury of knowing the patients history long before the patient arrives... so that adds to the stress..

the fact that bad things and i mean bad can happen at any moment adds to your stress level..

difficult surgeons, not having control of your time,,, making partner in a group all add to the stress..

so anesthesiology is not all roses.... trust me on that.. the residency might be nice but practice is definitely harder..

I work on my own so i dont have nurse anesthetist drawing up my syringes and monitoring my patient etc......

One of the best specialties????? it IS the best specialty... :)

great! Thanks!!! :D