Is anyone applying to the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarheel11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, it doesnt seem like im seeing that name as being popular this year.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a current student in health policy and management. which program are you applying to? feel free to message me if you have questions.

-waystinthyme

Hi! Im actually applying for the MSPH Health Policy and Management degree! I do have some questions so i will be messagin you, thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, it doesnt seem like im seeing that name as being popular this year.
Hi, I am applying to UNC MPH for Maternal and child health, I am however confused about the SOPHAS/Graduate school dual application process. It was promised that documents will be imported from SOPHAS, does this include recommendations sent to SOPHAS or I'll have to send 3 new recommendations to the graduate school

Hi, I am applying to UNC MPH for Maternal and child health, I am however confused about the SOPHAS/Graduate school dual application process. It was promised that documents will be imported from SOPHAS, does this include recommendations sent to SOPHAS or I'll have to send 3 new recommendations to the graduate school

I was confused by this as well. I emailed them and they said you only need to input the information they ask for in the email they sent you with your pin. So, you do not have to resubmit your recommendations

Thanks for the info, I mailed them too but they didn't reply. Thanks

For what its worth, I chose not to apply to their program for the following reasons:

a)no faculty specific pages for my department of interest and no posted faculty cv's
b)lack of responsiveness from program directors
c)no use of SOPHAS to standardize doctoral application process

It's the number 2 school, and I think has dueled for #1 in the past! I'm applying for Global Health, and I hope I get in given the reputation and strength in my desired field. I put geographical location second after the important academic factors, but happily UNC is in a nice part of the country.

It's the number 2 school, and I think has dueled for #1 in the past! I'm applying for Global Health, and I hope I get in given the reputation and strength in my desired field. I put geographical location second after the important academic factors, but happily UNC is in a nice part of the country.

Awww good luck on your application! Experiencing UNC in undergrad I would LOVE to go back! Its a great school at a great price and the faculty are very welcoming. I'm not sure if I've been getting quick email replies because I'm an alumna but they have been very helpful thus far!

I am applying to Health Behavior.

Anyone done their supplemental application.? They are asking for the same things as SOPHAS. I am screwed. They want us to submit our Letters of Recommendations again. I cannot get in contact with 2-3 of my recommendation writers. What do I do?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that if you had you recommenders submit to SOPHAS then you don't have to do it on the supplemental app. I completed mine a while back, but it all says it's complete and my recommendations are complete, even though I did not have them submit directly to the UNC application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that if you had you recommenders submit to SOPHAS then you don't have to do it on the supplemental app. I completed mine a while back, but it all says it's complete and my recommendations are complete, even though I did not have them submit directly to the UNC application.

So what did you fill out in the supplemental application? Because they are also asking for transcripts. Don't see the point of this secondary app besides a fee. They ask for the same requirements as SOPHAS. Can you tell what's different or additional?

So what did you fill out in the supplemental application? Because they are also asking for transcripts. Don't see the point of this secondary app besides a fee. They ask for the same requirements as SOPHAS. Can you tell what's different or additional?

It should outline on their website which material(s) need to be included in the supplemental application. (Caveat: I am not applying to UNC.) This is the same situation w/ UCLA and UC Berkeley. In addition to SOPHAS, they require their own graduate school application, which does include additional fees. I agree with you, it seems pointless and just costly. However, both UC's specifically outlined in their website which items needed to be included in/excluded from SOPHAS. I suggest searching on their admissions website. It must be written on there. Good luck! :D

It should outline on their website which material(s) need to be included in the supplemental application. (Caveat: I am not applying to UNC.) This is the same situation w/ UCLA and UC Berkeley. In addition to SOPHAS, they require their own graduate school application, which does include additional fees. I agree with you, it seems pointless and just costly. However, both UC's specifically outlined in their website which items needed to be included in/excluded from SOPHAS. I suggest searching on their admissions website. It must be written on there. Good luck! :D
There is no mention additional documents. All it asks for is below:

- Application fee (non-refundable $85)
-Transcripts (complete, not selected courses)
-One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application.
-Current letters of recommendation
-The email address of three recommenders will be required within the application for electronic submission.
-Standardized test scores
(GRE, GMAT, etc.; no more than 5 years old.)
-Statement of purpose
-Resume/CV

All this is required by SOPHAS there is nothing more for the Health Behaviors program. I believe........

There is no mention additional documents. All it asks for is below:

- Application fee (non-refundable $85)
-Transcripts (complete, not selected courses)
-One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application.
-Current letters of recommendation
-The email address of three recommenders will be required within the application for electronic submission.
-Standardized test scores
(GRE, GMAT, etc.; no more than 5 years old.)
-Statement of purpose
-Resume/CV

All this is required by SOPHAS there is nothing more for the Health Behaviors program. I believe........

Some materials will be repetitive, some will not. Check to make sure.

I emailed because I can't see the new/different requests.

Yup. In the email they sent they explain everything. I am a little slow.

I applied pretty early and already got into their Biostats program. Naturally one of my top choices, but still waiting on funding info and 1-2 other places before deciding on their offer.

Regarding their school, it's in a great location (the research triangle) with historically renowned Public Health programs, so I'm sure there won't be shortage of students applying anytime soon.

Good luck!

I applied pretty early and already got into their Biostats program. Naturally one of my top choices, but still waiting on funding info and 1-2 other places before deciding on their offer.

Regarding their school, it's in a great location (the research triangle) with historically renowned Public Health programs, so I'm sure there won't be shortage of students applying anytime soon.

Good luck!

Congrats on your acceptance. You said you applied early. May i ask when? Thanks..

Congrats on your acceptance. You said you applied early. May i ask when? Thanks..

Middle of October was when I submitted my application. Letter of recs probably took another month or so.

Middle of October was when I submitted my application. Letter of recs probably took another month or so.

I applied later, and am still waiting. Wish I submitted earlier! This whole process is nerve wracking! :scared:

2012 Applicant: UNC (Global), Harvard (Global Health), UIC (GH), Minnessota (GHIC), Tulane (GHCH), (GESH) JHU