Is being a anesthesiologist worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a long hall. Is it worth it even for the 6-7 figure salary? I'm not sure what else to pursue that I can make a lot of money and like at the same time. I come from a tech background and haven't yet stepped foot in a college. I'm also 20 yrs old. The economy is so bad now. I'm thinking this is the only door. I've also never been a school crazy kid not even taken the SAT. But never really wanted to be an gas man before either. Again, u think it's worth it for the long hall.

Members don't see this ad.

No, It's not worth it.
If you want alot of money and a great life style find yourself a rich older woman or a a rich older guy, which ever works for you :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Have any reasoning? BTW I'm a straight guy. N' if you ask me that's quite a bit of a loser mentality.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one in this field will ever see 7 figures, not even close.

You don't like school, but you're looking at 12 years of very intense full-time school - if everything goes as planned - so I'm not quite sure what to say. You have a "tech background" whatever that means for a 20-year-old guy without a college degree, and the first thing you'd have to do is get a 4 year college degree while competing against a bunch of people with "high-school-nerd-4.0-gpa backgrounds". By definition this makes you a nontraditional applicant for medical school, and the nontrads that make it through tend to be the motivated 2nd career types, not people who didn't like the job market they found themselves in a couple years out of high school. The odds are heavily stacked against you, but good luck.

It was worth it for me. But I don't know how useful that statement is, because I'm not you.

You are 20 years old but have not been to college, nor have you taken the SAT. May want to think twice about calling other people losers, dude.

I come from a tech background and haven't yet stepped foot in a college. I'm also 20 yrs old. I've also never been a school crazy kid not even taken the SAT.

Why did you not go to college?
What have you been doing after high school?

You are 20 years old but have not been to college, nor have you taken the SAT. May want to think twice about calling other people losers, dude.

Ha, I was thinking the same exact thing bullard. I predict medicine is not for you given the tidbit you gave us about your story. Make it through undergraduate first and get into medical school before you broach the idea of whether anesthesia is worth it.

I want to make $300-500K and I've always liked bio & science. I also love tech but the job market in less than suffient and I don't feel I'd even be able to get a job doing. BTW not to brag or anything but outside of medical there are people who actually know a lot and don't have a degree. I don't have a degree but, if you gave me a group of 10 people I can run a small enterprise. Again I'm looking for something I can make $300-500K that I like. My gpa was like 2.6 or something lol. I never took school seriously. If it's worth it though I'm willing to work hard. That's all I'm tring to find out.

I never took school seriously. If it's worth it though I'm willing to work hard. That's all I'm tring to find out.

Then what makes you think you would take college, then med school, then residency seriously? Each step takes a level of dedication one standard deviation above the prior. College is full of people who "did great" in high school but struggled to survive. Same with med school. By the time you complete med school, we're talking about the top 1% of high school students.

I'm not commenting on your intelligence. I'm just saying there are people who can lead, and develop, and make money, then there are people than can commit a ridiculous amount of time to learning difficult concepts and memorizing arcane facts. If you're not the latter, you won't make it through med school and residency.

Sounds like becoming a CRNA would fit you perfectly.

I want to make $300-500K and I've always liked bio & science. I also love tech but the job market in less than suffient and I don't feel I'd even be able to get a job doing. BTW not to brag or anything but outside of medical there are people who actually know a lot and don't have a degree. I don't have a degree but, if you gave me a group of 10 people I can run a small enterprise. Again I'm looking for something I can make $300-500K that I like. My gpa was like 2.6 or something lol. I never took school seriously. If it's worth it though I'm willing to work hard. That's all I'm tring to find out.

Then what makes you think you would take college, then med school, then residency seriously? Each step takes a level of dedication one standard deviation above the prior. College is full of people who "did great" in high school but struggled to survive. Same with med school. By the time you complete med school, we're talking about the top 1% of high school students.

I'm not commenting on your intelligence. I'm just saying there are people who can lead, and develop, and make money, then there are people than can commit a ridiculous amount of time to learning difficult concepts and memorizing arcane facts. If you're not the latter, you won't make it through med school and residency.

Thanks for your reply Bertelman. I didn't take High school seriously cause I didn't think I'd ever need it. Was even going to drop out several times. My teachers would ask me for tech and investment advise. Since then, boy did I wake up. What is this I hear about I can just goto med school in the carribians? I have a different persona on school right now.

You are interested in medicine for all the wrong reasons. I wouldn't suggest anyone going into medicine to get rich which appears why you are interested in field. You really shouldn't base your decision on whether you want to pursue a field on our thoughts because we have no idea what the field is going to be like in 8 years. As someone asked earlier, what the heck have you been doing for the past two years since high school?

1 year* I got left back one. Deciding what to do is what gives me 3 hours of sleep at night and is what I do. I used to hate being in a classroom so much I used to feel caged and anxious. I'm not in it all for the money. I really think I'd like it. N' nothing else Ii can think of can provide me with the income to reach the multi million dollar house and car I want to live in. I heard law is bad to. 75% of lawers say they wouldn't do it again, if they could do it over. Some even are resorting to paralegels cause of the bad job economy. So that leaves out law and tech. What else do I have? I can't be a nurse either cause #1 I think it's a biased female job and #2 I get light headed around blood. So this is the only think I can think of. Anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 year* I got left back one. Deciding what to do is what gives me 3 hours of sleep at night and is what I do. I used to hate being in a classroom so much I used to feel caged and anxious. I'm not in it all for the money. I really think I'd like it. N' nothing else Ii can think of can provide me with the income to reach the multi million dollar house and car I want to live in. I heard law is bad to. 75% of lawers say they wouldn't do it again, if they could do it over. Some even are resorting to paralegels cause of the bad job economy. So that leaves out law and tech. What else do I have? I can't be a nurse either cause #1 I think it's a biased female job and #2 I get light headed around blood. So this is the only think I can think of. Anesthesiology.

All in all, this is a pretty trippy thread.

The best way to know if the career is right for you is to shadow a physician. See what you like about the career, see what you hate. I shadowed an anesthesiologist a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it. She told me that her job is fantastic and that if she could do it all again, she wouldn't change a thing.

But from my perspective, it seems like you have some unrealistic expectations about your career. Don't expect to be making $300-$500k because you saw it on "Forbes highest paying jobs 2009." From what I understand a ROAD specialty will most likely give you a upper-middle class life.

And to be quite honest, you should probably focus on getting into medical school before you set a goal to become an anesthesiologist. Both tasks are extreemly competitive so being "interested in bio & science" and "willing to work hard" doesn't really translate into obtaining your goal. Everyone who enters medical school is motivated and everyone has done well in their classes and exams. From those people, only the best of the best can get a residency in a lifestyle specialty like anesthesiology, rads, derm, ect. Remember, the average GPA for ppl accepted to medical school is 3.7-3.8 and around half of all people who apply to medical school are rejected each year.

You should look into CRNA like someone said earlier if anesthesiology doesn't turn out to be a feasible option.

I got problems. I think I might really like this work though. The only thing is I was never one of those math genius.

You obviously don't know what we do. Here's my advice: either invent the next Google or go to college. You're on the wrong train here.

...I get light headed around blood

This bodes well for a career in anesthesiology... Seriously though, as others have mentioned, don't go into medicine for the (perceived) money. Even if the compensation is decent by the time you finish training (>10 yrs down the line), you'll pay a huge opportunity cost. Why not start off by going to college and seeing what interests you from there?

BTW, don't forget the 200k to 300k debt you will have.

PS: We get splattered with blood pretty often.

Read this, dude. One of the greatest posts, ever.

Times have changed, but many of copro's sentiments still ring true.

Wow. Thanks. This should be published! Maybe I am on the wrong train.

Hello,

All of these truths having been said, because you should know that they are all truths, that nobody lied to you, that nobody exaggerated in the least detail, the next truth remains, that the only way to know for sure is trying it.

First take the SAT, then go to college, then go to medical school and graduate. At that point make a new analysis of the situation. If you are still thinking about doing anesthesia, even after seeing that there are many specialties that have better lifestyles and better income, then apply to a residency.

However, before you embark in this adventure you should know that the numbers you are quoting for income are not realistic. In anesthesia, as in any other specialty, good jobs are not easy to find. What you find easily are jobs that nobody wants.

If after everything, you find out you don't like it, you will have to console yourself thinking that at least you have had a good education.

Last edited:
Nah, I think you guys successfully talked me out of it.

Sounds like you made up your mind, but let me spell it out for you.

WE DONT WANT YOU, PATIENTS WONT WANT YOU, FIND ANOTHER CAREER

Save yourself a lot of disapointment and go back to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.:D

Sounds like you made up your mind, but let me spell it out for you.

WE DONT WANT YOU, PATIENTS WONT WANT YOU, FIND ANOTHER CAREER

Save yourself a lot of disapointment and go back to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.:D

Go ******* Yourself. It's called IT consultant. I'll be making more than you when I sprout out on my own.

dream machine -- thanks for copro's apropos words... gosh i miss him...

OP, prioritize what is important in your life. if its 300-500k/year look elsewhere. i complain all the time, but i really love being a doctor, and love anesthesiology.... no one should go into this looking for $ -- the pursuit of $ is not enough to sustain you through the b.s. it takes to get here... also, fyi going to a carib school is not likely to make you a competitive enough candidate to get into one of the more desired specialties like anesthesia.... it can happen, but its tough...

FWIW, you're probably making more money than him right now.

Thanks Bertelman. To all you peeps telling me not to insult the idiot poster above me, did you look at his remark about Geek Squad?

Yes I did. He was pretty harsh on you but did not resort to outright profanity (plus he put the smiley thingey at the end of his post).

Look at it this way:

This is a professional forum that is filled with people who have been busting their humps for YEARS.

You are a young kid who hasn't even taken the SAT and who strolls in here all of a sudden wanting to be a million dollar "gas man".

In no less than an hour and sixteen minutes you decided you were on the "wrong train".

Figure it out.

Thanks Bertelman. To all you peeps telling me not to insult the idiot poster above me, did you look at his remark about Geek Squad?

You have a high school degree. Geek Squad is probably going to pay you as well as anyone as an "IT Consultant" with no formal training or experience.

Doing IT work you will hit a salary cap fairly quickly, at which point you will need to get into management before get anywhere near the salaries you have in mind. Business/Finance will get you closer to you goals quicker.

It was not intended to make you feel better. I happen to take home the same paycheck. It was meant to convey the point that Magnus and every other resident on this board has 10+ more years of education than you, carries ten times your debt, yet makes less money than an "IT consultant" while working longer hours in more stressful conditions and maintaining critically ill patients on the tightrope of life.

That "peep" telling you not to insult us wields the power to erase your presence on this board, so tread lightly. And I'm certain the idiot you refer to did not repeat any grades in high school, or "get left behind", if that's the PC, post-Bush way to say you failed H.S.

Dude, if you're gonna make more money than him when you "sprout out on your own," then why are you even here asking about anesthesiology?

you haven't taken the SAT. you're 20 years old. your high school gpa was 2.6. i find the excuse " i didn't try" to be BS. high school isn't that hard. 'not trying ' may explain a 3.0, not a 2.6. there's something lacking here.

you're not good at math, you have no real science background, your education is lacking , ( did i catch that you failed a year of high school? wtf ? ) you're not too bright - to say the least. you also can't spell - doesn't make the best impression.

i'm not dogging on you for wanting to make money or pursue a successful career - you can do very well in anesthesiology. i just doubt you can do it.

the carribbean? good luck matching into anesthesiology. you need to be a superstar to match coming out of there.

and no, you will not make more money that anyone on here. get a college degree ( at least ) before you talk smack. yes, go start an independent IT firm, those are doing REALLY well nowadays aren't they. if its about the money, just do that, don't become a physician. but honestly, judging on your current intellect, i doubt you're a real IT consultant as those require college degrees most of the time. and they don't often make hundreds of thousands of dollars either.

i'm not going to be as nice as other posters here, i'll just come out and say it. you're not that smart. working hard is a part of the equation - but intelligence plays a factor. i just don't think you have the brain power.

i worked my ass to the bone since high school just to have a chance to apply in the anesthesia match in the coming future.

you are nowhere near in a position to even contemplate a career in medicine, regardless of the specialty of anesthesia. maybe think about college before you think about 500k a year. jesus.

you haven't taken the SAT. you're 20 years old. your high school gpa was 2.6. i find the excuse " i didn't try" to be BS. high school isn't that hard. 'not trying ' may explain a 3.0, not a 2.6. there's something lacking here.

you're not good at math, you have no real science background, your education is lacking , ( did i catch that you failed a year of high school? wtf ? ) you're not too bright - to say the least. you also can't spell - doesn't make the best impression.

i'm not dogging on you for wanting to make money or pursue a successful career - you can do very well in anesthesiology. i just doubt you can do it.

the carribbean? good luck matching into anesthesiology. you need to be a superstar to match coming out of there.

and no, you will not make more money that anyone on here. get a college degree ( at least ) before you talk smack. yes, go start an independent IT firm, those are doing REALLY well nowadays aren't they. if its about the money, just do that, don't become a physician. but honestly, judging on your current intellect, i doubt you're a real IT consultant as those require college degrees most of the time. and they don't often make hundreds of thousands of dollars either.

i'm not going to be as nice as other posters here, i'll just come out and say it. you're not that smart. working hard is a part of the equation - but intelligence plays a factor. i just don't think you have the brain power.

i worked my ass to the bone since high school just to have a chance to apply in the anesthesia match in the coming future.

you are nowhere near in a position to even contemplate a career in medicine, regardless of the specialty of anesthesia. maybe think about college before you think about 500k a year. jesus.

Ok, let me set some of you straight. #1 I got left back in 2nd grade. #2 I didn't think high school was worth the time nor studies. #3 I f' ed up so bad I got sent to oakwood, worst High School in NJ full of deralics and everyone had a record and was goin into construction. I've played poker with one of my teachers for math class. I hated school. #4 I'm far from stupid. Not everyone is there gpa. #5 Until recently, with the economy so bad I didn't want to be working in Best Buy all my life. Or any sh'itty retail job in that nature. I have a different outlook on college. If I went I would work hard and would prob have a good gpa. #6 Your right tech is tough. Seems like cloud computing, remoting and outsourcing are making it worse. But it's what I love and figure down the road I can start my own IT consulting / Staffing firm. N' yes if you get a good enough client base, yes you can make we'll into the 6 figures. #7 I wonder though sometimes if I will be able to get a job in IT after I graduate. I was thinking about anestheology / pharmacist fall back; might be a better choice. But I'm thinking tech isn't as bad as people say it is and I should give it a try. #8 I know you could all prob kick my a ss on the SAT's MCAT's, etc. So I don't think I can compete for medical school / a anestheoloogy program. #8 I have the up most recpect for doctors. They have the power of saving lives. But I'm not going to sit here while you people dog me down and tell me what I'm worth. I'm far from dumb or low intellect. I recognize I realistically might not be able to compete at the academic levels of you guys for a gas job. I think I might do pharmacist as a backup instead. I can always start my own healthcare staffing firm if I ever did that to. Thanks. But don't even reply back if your going to tell me I can't be a gas man or hate on my gpa through high school that you don't know the full story of.

Last edited:
mrg, your story actually sounds pretty similar to one of my friends from junior high / high school -- I had a classmate who wasn't too hot in academics, but was a whiz around computer hardware & software. He barely passed his HS classes, but would actually go home and devour C++ / Java programming textbooks in his free time -- dude actually created a 3D rendering program on the TI-85 as a HS sophomore. I lost touch with him after high school, but it turns out that he started his own shareware company. He's *easily* making six figures right now, and has our HS prom queen working for him as his secretary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you've got to do something that you're passionate about. If you like IT stuff, maybe study to be a MSCE [Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer] on your down time. While I personally was interviewing for anesthesiology residency programs, one program chair told me that he'll think about his research projects when taking a shower. If you don't feel that kind of enthusiasm, you should look long and hard about your prospective career path.

Don't worry about the haters. Read DreamMachine's post again. Life is good.

Thanks checkov. Yeah. I used to code stuff up in visual studio C++. I was looking at the CCNA. It seems to be the best cert. But I also hear that alone isn't enough to get a good job. I hear u need a 2-4 yr degree + CCNA to get in. I was speaking to a guy that owns a IT consulting firm a couple days ago and he was saying the certs are not even worth it. He didn't even seem to enthusiatic about the industry in general. To the poster that said about finance. Let me tell you something about finance, the markets specifically. It's all a inside game. Ran by manipulation and ponzi schemes. Goldman front runs. Bet u didn't know that. ;) I don't want to be a part of something that's false. So it comes down to medical or taking the risk in IT.

Ok, let me set some of you straight. #1 I got left back in 2nd grade. #2 I didn't think high school was worth the time nor studies. #3 I f' ed up so bad I got sent to oakwood, worst High School in NJ full of deralics and everyone had a record and was goin into construction. I've played poker with one of my teachers for math class. I hated school. #4 I'm far from stupid. Not everyone is there gpa. #5 Until recently, with the economy so bad I didn't want to be working in Best Buy all my life. Or any sh'itty retail job in that nature. I have a different outlook on college. If I went I would work hard and would prob have a good gpa. #6 Your right tech is tough. Seems like cloud computing, remoting and outsourcing are making it worse. But it's what I love and figure down the road I can start my own IT consulting / Staffing firm. N' yes if you get a good enough client base, yes you can make we'll into the 6 figures. #7 I wonder though sometimes if I will be able to get a job in IT after I graduate. I was thinking about anestheology / pharmacist fall back; might be a better choice. But I'm thinking tech isn't as bad as people say it is and I should give it a try. #8 I know you could all prob kick my a ss on the SAT's MCAT's, etc. So I don't think I can compete for medical school / a anestheoloogy program. #8 I have the up most recpect for doctors. They have the power of saving lives. But I'm not going to sit here while you people dog me down and tell me what I'm worth. I'm far from dumb or low intellect. I recognize I realistically might not be able to compete at the academic levels of you guys for a gas job. I think I might do pharmacist as a backup instead. I can always start my own healthcare staffing firm if I ever did that to. Thanks. But don't even reply back if your going to tell me I can't be a gas man or hate on my gpa through high school that you don't know the full story of.

If you want to be an entrepreneur, then it's all-in... you either take home the winnings, or leave empty-handed. There's no limping in. Even if medical school or pharmacy school were viable options for you, the idea that those professions can be some kind of a "backup" for grander schemes just seems asinine to me.

My advice. Do what you do best, and go for it. When the economy picks up a bit, start your own company.

Thanks checkov. Yeah. I used to code stuff up in visual studio C++. I was looking at the CCNA. It seems to be the best cert. But I also hear that alone isn't enough to get a good job. I hear u need a 2-4 yr degree + CCNA to get in. I was speaking to a guy that owns a IT consulting firm a couple days ago and he was saying the certs are not even worth it. He didn't even seem to enthusiatic about the industry in general. To the poster that said about finance. Let me tell you something about finance, the markets specifically. It's all a inside game. Ran by manipulation and ponzi schemes. Goldman front runs. Bet u didn't know that. ;) I don't want to be a part of something that's false. So it comes down to medical or taking the risk in IT.

I was thinking this guy was a troll, but he seems kinda legit, so here's my two cents. Keep in mind, that I'm still a 2nd year med student, but I have a similar background to homeslice here, so I think my opinion may help...

I also "didn't try" in high school. It's not that I didn't want to. I was really into music. I got A's in band. I was the star drummer, guitarist, and all around band-geek. My "real grades" kinda fell off. I got mostly B's, couple of C's. Wound up with a low 3.0-ish GPA in high school, I think. I don't even know, actually.

Did a bit of Community College. Hated it. Didn't go to class. It wasn't music class, why would I? Worked in a music store for a few years instead while playing lots of music around town and generally "trying to make it." Almost did (so does everyone). That being said, it was fun, and I have great stories about hanging out with the guys from Dave Matthews and Chris Daughtry before he was famous...

Why did I decide to do medicine? I wanted to do something with my life. Something that mattered. Ask yourself this: In 200 years, will anything that you do in Field X matter. My dad is a computer guy. Will his contribution to society matter? Not so much. I'm hoping to mean something to someone. I want to, in pre-med parlance, "help people."

I also wouldn't mind getting paid well to do that, but that's secondary. As someone who's never made more than 30k a year, 150-200k will seem like riches.

My advice is to look into it. See if it's for you. Use that Google thing that you know so much about. Watch youtube videos. Read SDN (alot). Shadow physicians. Talk to your friends and family and make some connections. Be professional about it. If, at that point, it seems like something you might want to do, then go for it.

You don't need to be a genius. Don't need to be good a math. Can you add? We're talking basic arithmetic here.

Work hard, and you too can be a "nerd" and get a 3.8 Science GPA (I did). Take the MCAT. Get as good a score as you can. I got a 28 and wound up at a DO school (look it up, sigh) that I love and is giving me a great education and will let me be just as much a doctor as the MD schools. I (and most people) would definitely recommend the DO schools over Caribbean, for sure.

Anyways. Good luck. Medicine is hard work. Is it worth it financially? I'm not sure. I think so. Even if you come out as a FP, making $150k a year, that's damn good money, and you're getting paid to try to keep people from dying. Maybe, because of you, someone will live long enough to have kids...maybe one of those kids will grow up to become President, or Hitler...who knows. Either way...you will have made a difference. If you can't be Steve Jobs, then I think this is the best place to make a mark on the world, money aside.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks checkov. Yeah. I used to code stuff up in visual studio C++. I was looking at the CCNA. It seems to be the best cert. But I also hear that alone isn't enough to get a good job. I hear u need a 2-4 yr degree + CCNA to get in.

Most 2 year community college programs will have you getting a CCNA. A motivated student can do it on their own in about 6 weeks. A CCNP is definitely the way to go and can be done in about 8 months if your really on the ball.

A 4 year degree, a CCNP, and the ability to communicate effectively should find yourself a job making 60-70k a year with little issue. Maxing out a little over 100k a year if you live in a high paying area/major city. Anything beyond that though and you are talking about getting into a management role.

I eventually want to start up my own IT Consulting / Staffing company, instead of getting into a management role. You don't think a CCNA alone, is enough to land a good job? Cause I'm thinking about going to a big community college. I believe computer science is the major I need to look at?

I think CCNA is a joke. I went from no cisco experience to card in my wallet in 6 weeks doing the equivalent of 2 college credits. Community colleges somehow drag it out to 2 years of school work. CCNP is really the bare minimum in my mind to set yourself apart from every other community college IT person.

Last edited:
I got problems. I think I might really like this work though. The only thing is I was never one of those math genius.

Doesn't appear that you've got a real firm grasp on the English language either.

You have a high school degree. Geek Squad is probably going to pay you as well as anyone as an "IT Consultant" with no formal training or experience.

Doing IT work you will hit a salary cap fairly quickly, at which point you will need to get into management before get anywhere near the salaries you have in mind. Business/Finance will get you closer to you goals quicker.

This.

I'm a network engineer now. When I started at 20, with no college degree, I was making $32.5k. The next year, $55k, the next, $65k, and the next $75k.. I have been at $75k since 23, and I'm 31 now. The money looks good in the beginning, but it maxes out quickly. There were days when we made $100k+ without degrees, but that's very rare now.

Anyways to the OP.. I'm pre-med now, and I have to tell you, if you don't like school, don't like math, etc.. Don't even think about medicine. This is hard.. REALLY hard.. to work and go to school.. and I'm just in undergrad.

I'd also suggest you not plan on doing engineering type work in IT if you don't care for school. We are constantly going back to vendor training classes, because the technology seems to change every two years..

The CCNA, WITH EXPERIENCE, is good. CCNP is better, but still need experience. CCIE with no experience, the world is your oyster.. but good look passing the CCIE with no experience.

You can do the CCNA in two weeks. Look at Global Knowledge.. they offer a boot camp. You will be in class 12 hours a day for one week.. Spend the next week doing practice tests over and over, then take the combined exam..

... Even if medical school or pharmacy school were viable options for you...
Hello again, mrg,

Please, don't believe for a moment that they are not viable options for you. If you had a bad high school record because you were lazy and now settled down and decided to work hard, they are very viable. Let me repeat what I said in an earlier post: I don't think you can tell for sure until you try it. And once you try it, you may like it so much that you may want to do it even if you don't achieve the income goals you are thinking about now. With a new perspective you may think of these dreams as a childish thing and may want to work in medicine no matter what. Unfortunately, these things cannot be predicted. You need to try it. But be ready for a hard haul. Everything they told you in this forum about how hard it will be, is true, without the least bit of exaggeration.

Hello again, mrg,

Please, don't believe for a moment that they are not viable options for you. If you had a bad high school record because you were lazy and now settled down and decided to work hard, they are very viable. Let me repeat what I said in an earlier post: I don't think you can tell for sure until you try it. And once you try it, you may like it so much that you may want to do it even if you don't achieve the income goals you are thinking about now. With a new perspective you may think of these dreams as a childish thing and may want to work in medicine no matter what. Unfortunately, these things cannot be predicted. You need to try it. But be ready for a hard haul. Everything they told you in this forum about how hard it will be, is true, without the least bit of exaggeration.

I don't know where some of these people are going for medical school, because there isn't a single person at my school that went to a community college (let alone one that did poorly at one).
I mean, it's not technically impossible, but if you don't get like a 36 on the MCAT, coming from an educational background like his, chances are pretty slim (if any).

I don't know where some of these people are going for medical school, because there isn't a single person at my school that went to a community college (let alone one that did poorly at one).
I mean, it's not technically impossible, but if you don't get like a 36 on the MCAT, coming from an educational background like his, chances are pretty slim (if any).
Sure, Bronx, but remember that this guy has not been to college yet. He has been lazing off and partying in high school and now is pretty much doing the same. When he finally settles down and goes to college, we may be in for a surprise. I am not saying it is going to be easy; never did I say that. Moreover, his being able or not to get into a decent college and graduate from it will be one more test that will add information to his riddle's solution and will measure the seriousness of his intentions. In my life I have seen all kinds of people go to medical school and graduate from it, and I am sure you have seen them, too.