Is dentistry monotonous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harveydent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Sagittarius and while I don't put all my faith into astrology I do read it and somewhat believe it, even though I know it is vague...it kind of gives me a peace of mind and direction. Anyway, so Sagittarius is freedom loving, hates monotony, etc. Should dentistry be the way I go? Is it monotonous...or is it just what you make of it like anything else? If you love it, then it can't be monotonous right?

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting question. Firstly, I think it is important to recognize that dentistry is work. And getting up everyday and going to work is in and of itself a monotonous feat. I expect that there will be days when I will not want to get out of bed and go to work, regardless of how much I love dentististry.

I also suspect that general dentistry would probably be the least monotonous aspect of dentistry due to the fact that there are a wide range of procedures that can be competently executed. If scheduling permits one to do a variety of procedures at least on a weekly basis, then monotony should not be an issue. I also need not list the specialities that general dentists may adopt to thier practicies.

It would be interesting to hear from an endodontists on this matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
clearly dentistry has its ups and downs. I have been in my own private practice for almost 4 years now. I would never say it is monotonous. You are doing something different all the time. Dealing with patients sometimes gets old, but the work itself is always different. I very much agree with Kinks though, dentistry is work. And work itself isnt that much fun..... but you have to do something, and dentistry pays well and offers a nice lifestyle.

I expect that there will be days when I will not want to get out of bed and go to work, regardless of how much I love dentististry.

Those days typically occur after a night of heavy drinking for me.

Whenever you think about monotonous aspect of your job,switch your thinking to the money you will get at the end of the day.

Dentistry will only be as monotonous as you make it.

If you limit yourself to basic procedures (crowns and fillings), then yes, it could be monotonous.

However, if you take CE and become competent in a variety of skills (dentures, implants, ortho, RCT, perio, full mouth reconstruction, cosmetic dentistry, etc.), there is no reason for dentistry to be monotonous. And don't forget that your patients are attached to those teeth and they will never let your life become monotonous!

Additionally, if you find private practice boring, you could do as one of our department chairs does: practice 2-3 days/week, teach, and travel the lecture circuit. You could also get involved with public health, volunteer work, dental missions, research, or academia, if you so choose.

For me, I see dentistry as dual purpose: it will provide interesting and fulfilling work, while also providing me with the means to have an interesting and fulfilling personal life.

I'm a Sagittarius and while I don't put all my faith into astrology I do read it and somewhat believe it, even though I know it is vague...it kind of gives me a peace of mind and direction. Anyway, so Sagittarius is freedom loving, hates monotony, etc. Should dentistry be the way I go? Is it monotonous...or is it just what you make of it like anything else? If you love it, then it can't be monotonous right?

Yes, definitely. If monotony is doing the same thing over and over again every day, then absolutely.

however, if you take ce and become competent in a variety of skills (dentures, implants, ortho, rct, perio, full mouth reconstruction, cosmetic dentistry, etc.), there is no reason for dentistry to be monotonous. And don't forget that your patients are attached to those teeth and they will never let your life become monotonous!

+1

As was said before, there is a wide variety of procedures and fields to work in with dentistry. It will be what you make of it :)

As one Sag to another (not that I follow that astrocrap), once you get in dental school, the experience will be anything BUT monotonous, trust me. :laugh:

As for future career, like any, you make what you want of it.

Whenever you think about monotonous aspect of your job,switch your thinking to the money you will get at the end of the day.

Don't do that! I was in sales for 7 years and it was lucrative. The problem was, I hated it for about 6 years, but continued to do it because I knew I would make money.

Unfortunately it's difficult to say if you'll be happy or not unless you are experienced, and dental school is a time consuming and expensive way to find out if dentistry is right for you. The only way to tell is MORE SHADOWING.

The good news for me is that I know that I at least made the right choice to get out of sales. I took a job in from January -Aug (when I start school!!!) and I am miserable there. Let's just say that I am glad that the building I work in isn't taller...:scared:

As one Sag to another (not that I follow that astrocrap), once you get in dental school, the experience will be anything BUT monotonous, trust me. :laugh:

As for future career, like any, you make what you want of it.

This Sag will 2nd this statement :D

Even now, 15 years after I first put on my mask and stuck my gloved up fingers in someone's mouth, monotonous is one word that I definitely wouldn't use to describe my life as a GP :D And the way that technology is advancing these days, if something does become monotonous, just wait a month or two and they'll be a new product/toy to use that will make things exciting again! Heck, when I started, once again just 15 years ago, the latest and greatest in bonding agents were 4th generation, seperate bottle primer and ahesive dentin bonding agents, implants were all done as 2 stage with the oseointegration time all occurring subgingival and a 2nd surgery for transmucosal abutment placement needing to occur, NiTi rotary endo files were just starting to hit the market :eek: Something tells me that 15 years from now, I could make a similair post about how what is commonplace, latest technology/theory today seems archaic then.

This Sag will 2nd this statement :D

Even now, 15 years after I first put on my mask and stuck my gloved up fingers in someone's mouth, monotonous is one word that I definitely wouldn't use to describe my life as a GP :D And the way that technology is advancing these days, if something does become monotonous, just wait a month or two and they'll be a new product/toy to use that will make things exciting again! Heck, when I started, once again just 15 years ago, the latest and greatest in bonding agents were 4th generation, seperate bottle primer and ahesive dentin bonding agents, implants were all done as 2 stage with the oseointegration time all occurring subgingival and a 2nd surgery for transmucosal abutment placement needing to occur, NiTi rotary endo files were just starting to hit the market :eek: Something tells me that 15 years from now, I could make a similair post about how what is commonplace, latest technology/theory today seems archaic then.

Yep, 8th gen coming around the corner....Etch+Prime+Bond+Composite all in one! (if it isn't already here....)