Is double dipping clinical and research experience okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobadoz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer at a free health clinic located in a very underserved community, taking basic vitals (temperature, height, weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, etc) supervised by a nurse, aid in taking histories and help with recording their chief complaint. This is my main clinical experience, and I have almost 150+ hours, but I expect to have 300-400ish by the time I apply in 2022. Is it bad that this is also my main volunteering experience while using it as my main clinical experience at the same time? I also volunteer at the local hospital cleaning rooms, filing paperwork, and occasionally helping out MAs, but the clinic has definitely been the most impactful.

As for other ECs, I have leadership in a cultural organization on campus, choreograph performances of a traditional dance for the same org, and have started my own organization (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers). In terms of research, I have 300+ hours and a poster presentation working on liposomes for HER2+ breast cancer, and I'm spending the next semester doing orthopedic research in a biomedical engineering lab. I have a strong GPA, and I'm looking to take the MCAT in May, but I'm really worried my volunteer/clinical experience double dipping will hurt me in the long run. Sorry for the long question!

Members don't see this ad.

Solution
I volunteer at a free health clinic located in a very underserved community, taking basic vitals (temperature, height, weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, etc) supervised by a nurse, aid in taking histories and help with recording their chief complaint. This is my main clinical experience, and I have almost 150+ hours, but I expect to have 300-400ish by the time I apply in 2022. Is it bad that this is also my main volunteering experience while using it as my main clinical experience at the same time? I also volunteer at the local hospital cleaning rooms, filing paperwork, and occasionally helping out MAs, but the clinic has definitely been the most impactful.

As for other ECs, I have leadership in a cultural...

As for other ECs, I have leadership in a cultural organization on campus, choreograph performances of a traditional dance for the same org, and have started my own organization (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers). In terms of research, I have 300+ hours and a poster presentation working on liposomes for HER2+ breast cancer, and I'm spending the next semester doing orthopedic research in a biomedical engineering lab. I have a strong GPA, and I'm looking to take the MCAT in May, but I'm really worried my volunteer/clinical experience double dipping will hurt me in the long run. Sorry for the long question!
This is great experience! You have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
Solution
This is great experience! You have nothing to worry about.
Thank you, Goro! I've only been on this site for literally two days, but I already know you're a legend around here!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user