This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I need some solid advice here. I graduated with a degree in Medical Laboratory Science from Nigeria with a 4.25 out of 5 cgpa and a 4.5 sgpa and would like to pursue medicine here in the U.S. I had some people advise me to do a post bacc and then apply to medical school but then I feel like I would not be a competitive candidate because I would not have taken the lower division prerequisites here in the U.S so a post bacc might not work out too great for me. I also considered getting a Masters degree but I would also encounter the same problem and I really feel like my science foundation back home is not as good as it could have been and retaking those classes will be beneficial to me. At some point I decided to try and focus on getting licensed as a Clinical Laboratory scientist in the U.S so I got a job as a lab assistant in a hospital and realized while working here that scientists have little to no patient contact. Phlebotomists draw blood and doctors or nurses give the patients instructions when it has to do with sample collection. I found myself more interested in going to the floor to watch the doctors and nurses work as opposed to being in the lab.
Anyway I decided that a third option existed; going back for another undergraduate degree. Unfortunately I live in California and the CSU and UC schools do not offer second bachelor degrees and I tried transferring my current bachelors to a few private universities but they did not accept it. The only school that accepted it was a private school that is crazy expensive with a shady reputation. So my best bet now is to take classes at community college then transfer to a four year school. I will take most of my prerequisites at a CC but ill leave organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology for when I transfer to a CSU or UC. I know I can get a really good gpa with this new degree which will be in Biology because that seems to be the only thing I find interesting. I'll keep my job as a lab assistant and then volunteer at the hospital I work at continuously so that I can have patient care experience. I am already 25 and I know this is a risky move but I am prepared to go all in if this is my best option. If anyone has any experience with this or any tips for me I will be extremely grateful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused when you say you'll transfer to a CSU or UC. Transferring implies that you are doing so for a degree, right? So if they don't allow second degrees, how will you be able to transfer? Or do you mean you'll take classes at extension or as an at-large student or open university or some such option?

I'm confused when you say you'll transfer to a CSU or UC. Transferring implies that you are doing so for a degree, right? So if they don't allow second degrees, how will you be able to transfer? Or do you mean you'll take classes at extension or as an at-large student or open university or some such option?
They don't allow transferring your first bachelors degree to get a second one. Its different when you are transferring from a community college. they work under the assumption that you don't have a bachelor degree and you are just transferring from a CC to get a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't allow transferring your first bachelors degree to get a second one. Its different when you are transferring from a community college. they work under the assumption that you don't have a bachelor degree and you are just transferring from a CC to get a degree.
OK, in that case I don't have much input to offer other than - make sure you read the rules (IGETC) to be safe.

No, an all caps thread title is not a smart choice.

When you apply, wouldn't you have to disclose you've already received a bachelor's from another institution? If you've talked to admissions and they say it's OK then sure go for it, good luck. Do what you need to do to get to your dreams. Don't want to run into an academic dishonesty troubles.

When you apply, wouldn't you have to disclose you've already received a bachelor's from another institution? If you've talked to admissions and they say it's OK then sure go for it, good luck. Do what you need to do to get to your dreams. Don't want to run into an academic dishonesty troubles.
I will. Im definitely not going to lie or hide details on any of my apps because that would be dumb and reckless. The reality is I already have a bachelors degree and I'm going to use it in all my applications including for medical school eventually. I just need to rack up enough undergraduate units here in the U.Sso that my gpa doesn't appear as 0 and work on all other aspects of my application so I have a fighting chance at least.