Is it Harder For DO's To Get Jobs After Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering about this. I went to job search sites for Medical Doctors. Most said MD or DO degree required. But some didn't mention it. A few said MD only.

So is it harder for DO's to get jobs after residency? I don't really care about the intials after my name as long as I can find a decent job.

I hope to specialize in a higher paying speciality. I'm not interested in surgery though. I don't like cutting people open. Also not a fan of the hours and stress.

Members don't see this ad.

Most physicians, MD, or DO, do not experience significant difficulty getting a job. This topic has been addressed before, and it was addressed relatively recently.

Most physicians, MD, or DO, do not experience significant difficulty getting a job. This topic has been addressed before, and it was addressed relatively recently.

Word. This has been talked about to death. The FAQs and search are friends of SDN.

Spice, what are you doing up so late? I am emailing people overseas :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry about that. It's just too easy to start a thread.:D I guess there is now one more out there.

Oh, a few trolls got me all worked up.... I need to start school already and stop spending so much time here. Perhaps it's time for a break from SDN. :lol:

:rolleyes: Once you start school, you will have SDN withdrawal and start lounging in the Step 1 forums hehe.

I was just wondering about this. I went to job search sites for Medical Doctors. Most said MD or DO degree required. But some didn't mention it. A few said MD only.

So is it harder for DO's to get jobs after residency? I don't really care about the intials after my name as long as I can find a decent job.

I hope to specialize in a higher paying speciality. I'm not interested in surgery though. I don't like cutting people open. Also not a fan of the hours and stress.

Save yourself from trouble. Just go to an MD school. (sarcasm)

:rolleyes: Once you start school, you will have SDN withdrawal and start lounging in the Step 1 forums hehe.

Unless youre like me...on a mission to save the SDN community from misinformation and ignorant posters spreading their unfounded opinions.

Its not hard to get a job, so long as you pay the osteopathic physician tax.

Osteotax its called.

Its better then that "pretend doctor" sign they made them wear.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
how do u guys deal with the negative stigmad asssociated with DO from the public and MDs?

how do u guys deal with the negative stigmad asssociated with DO from the public and MDs?

Havent found a negative stigma.

And I have rotated in the biggest MD hospitals in Philadelphia, each with their own allopathic medical school.

Could you give actual examples of the negative stigma that you mention?

Havent found a negative stigma.

And I have rotated in the biggest MD hospitals in Philadelphia, each with their own allopathic medical school.

Could you give actual examples of the negative stigma that you mention?

It's called Pre-Med stigma.:smuggrin:

Riker here.

I think it depends on which part of the country an osteopathic physician practices in.

Riker here.

I think it depends on which part of the country an osteopathic physician practices in.

It took you 296 posts before you said something intelligent. Common sense, but intelligent nonetheless.

Welcome to the club where people dont roll their eyes at everything you say. I hope you can stay a while. See if you can woo DKM over here as well.

It took you 296 posts before you said something intelligent. Common sense, but intelligent nonetheless.

Welcome to the club where people dont roll their eyes at everything you say. I hope you can stay a while. See if you can woo DKM over here as well.

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thank you for your cooperation. :cool:

cvmk.jpg

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thank you for your cooperation. :cool:

cvmk.jpg

Well, I could say something here seeing as the Mods are letting people go around calling others "their bitch".

Well...just take it as that. :D

The mods are not allowing any such thing, just because you don't "see" an action doesn't mean that one wasn't taken. Keep reporting the bad posts and have some faith in your mods.

The mods are not allowing any such thing, just because you don't "see" an action doesn't mean that one wasn't taken. Keep reporting the bad posts and have some faith in your mods.

I have faith in you Nate. :thumbup:

I think the op brought up a valid point. I use to dread driving through East Baltimore by Johns Hopkins Hospital. All the DO’s who got turned down for jobs would be just hanging out in front of the hospital trying to hustle up some money. As soon as you stopped at the red light, they would all run up to your car and start wiping down your windshield, trying to make a dollar. A few of them would walk around trying to sell copper they pulled out of abandoned buildings. It was pathetic and sad.

I think the op brought up a valid point. I use to dread driving through East Baltimore by Johns Hopkins Hospital. All the DO’s who got turned down for jobs would be just hanging out in front of the hospital trying to hustle up some money. As soon as you stopped at the red light, they would all run up to your car and start wiping down your windshield, trying to make a dollar. A few of them would walk around trying to sell copper they pulled out of abandoned buildings. It was pathetic and sad.

:thumbup: :lol:

...and the "Will Palpate For Food" signs they carry always bring a tear to my eye.