Is it okay not to have any extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8MoreReps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I literally have nothing I can think of to add for extracurricular activities and I work 40-50 hours with weekend classes and classes during the week. I am trying just to fit in volunteer hours soon on weekends and am extremely overwhelmed at the thought of trying to get 100s of those in.. So I obviously barely have time just to get the basics in. Will that really hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it'll hurt you. PT school admittance committees look at the whole package. Unless you have a 4.0, then you're set.

Yes, it'll hurt you. PT school admittance committees look at the whole package. Unless you have a 4.0, then you're set.

What am I supposed to do? I have basically no free time.. with whatever free time I have I must find time to volunteer. My GPA is probably only 3.0 overall but I'm aiming for a 4.0 in my 10 pre req classes, which should boost me a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it'll hurt you.

I disagree. I have no extracurricular activities since I work full-time. But I have been invited for interviews at all the schools I've applied to.

To the OP: Just make sure you have as high a GPA and GRE score as possible.

From what I can tell EC's help distinguish you from others, but what makes them look at your application in the first place is your GPA and GRE.

I don't think saying you worked 40-50 hours is necessarily helping your case (nor is it hurting, though). You're in school to learn and if working limited your ability to learn then someone else who had more learning opportunities will have an advantage. I don't know how it is at other universities, but at the one I currently go to a student only needs to attend about 6 hours of the pre-PT club per semester to be considered part of it (although it is encouraged to attend more than that).

All that being said, a 4.0 isn't a guarantee either. One school I'm applying to told me they recently rejected a 4.0 because her interview went bad. It's not simply GPA that locks you in.

I literally have nothing I can think of to add for extracurricular activities and I work 40-50 hours with weekend classes and classes during the week. I am trying just to fit in volunteer hours soon on weekends and am extremely overwhelmed at the thought of trying to get 100s of those in.. So I obviously barely have time just to get the basics in. Will that really hurt me?

Should not hurt you at all..at least for the first step. For interviewing, a lot of schools are only going to look at GRE and GPA. Letters and other stuff will come much later....during the interview process. In your interview, someone may ask you, but just have an answer prepared.
Other schools (i.e., those that accept students with lower GPA) may notice initially, but no one is going to be a bad PT solely because they were not in clubs.

What am I supposed to do? I have basically no free time.. with whatever free time I have I must find time to volunteer. My GPA is probably only 3.0 overall but I'm aiming for a 4.0 in my 10 pre req classes, which should boost me a bit.

It also sounds like you may not be applying in the next year for PT schools? Just by the way you explained that you need to still take your pre reqs. Maybe throughout this time opportunities will arise for you to get some ECs in. I mean even working a saturday morning through any club or organization close to you a couple hours once a month in something you have a passion for, for several months can really add up. Don't lose hope that you won't have any! There is also a section on PTCAS for work experience and if I remember correctly they will ask for hours. Schools WILL see that you weren't just being lazy and doing nothing while taking classes. Getting that high GPA in pre reqs will definitely help, too, and show even more dedication to your education. Good luck!

If you're changing careers like I am, it's difficult to add on many EC's. When you're in undergrad, you can belong to 54 different clubs and still have time to do school work. I had one EC, and I don't have a 4.0. I am getting interviews. I wouldn't worry too much about it.