Is it okay to list a friend as a contact for a non-service club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorguy1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago, I joined a recreational frisbee club on Campus and I had a great time playing for about two semesters. I want to put it down on AMCAS as one of my activities because I can speak pretty well about how it helped improve me as a future physician by making me more resilient when I wanted to quit and helping me learn to communicate better in high stress environments. The problem is the club was a fairly huge organization, so I don't think the coach could remember me/vouch for having done the hours that I did (I also don't know his contact info at all), so I was wondering if it would be okay to put down a friend who mentored me on the team as my contact? This isn't one of my clinical activities and there was no service involved at all, it was purely just for fun.

Members don't see this ad.

About 2 years ago, I joined a recreational frisbee club on Campus and I had a great time playing for about two semesters. I want to put it down on AMCAS as one of my activities because I can speak pretty well about how it helped improve me as a future physician by making me more resilient when I wanted to quit and helping me learn to communicate better in high stress environments. The problem is the club was a fairly huge organization, so I don't think the coach could remember me/vouch for having done the hours that I did (I also don't know his contact info at all), so I was wondering if it would be okay to put down a friend who mentored me on the team as my contact? This isn't one of my clinical activities and there was no service involved at all, it was purely just for fun.
Yes, this is perfectly fine. Be sure to give your friend the title "Team Mentor" or somesuch. Alternatively, if you can't get the required Contact information, list it under Hobbies, which doesn't require a contact.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, this is perfectly fine. Be sure to give your friend the title "Team Mentor" or somesuch. Alternatively, if you can't get the required Contact information, list it under Hobbies, which doesn't require a contact.
Great! I didn’t know if there would be any issue since my friend is an undergrad as well.

Reactions: 1 user