Medical Is it okay to mention COVID-19 in update letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking to send an update to a school and am wondering if it would appropriate to mention COVID-19. It feels strange to not mention it but I also don't want to come off as though I'm trying to leverage COVID-19 into a medical school acceptance (which I'm not). Any advice on how to handle this difficult topic would be appreciated!

What is the updated needed for when it's barely April? And in what way does COVID-19 play a role regarding an update?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the updated needed for when it's barely April? And in what way does COVID-19 play a role regarding an update?
Wondering the same thing.

Being a COVID patient won't help.

Saying you are humbled by the pandemic and want to help be part of the fight won't help.

An essay on the state of the US health system won't help.

I was just going to mention it in one sentence like “I hope the admissions committee is staying safe and healthy.” Something like that. I wasn’t really going to discuss it further it just feels strange to not mention it at all.

What about the first question we asked? Why the update in early April?

And adding a simple line as you stated isn't "discussing" COVID, which is what you allude to in who you posed this thread. If that was the only line, then no. If you're sending an actual update worthy of an update, then sure that 1 line is perfectly fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have significant activities to update them on and I wanted to reaffirm my interest (the schools I would send it to emphasized that they want this). Based on your responses I will wait to update the schools until a later date!

Apologies on the misleading initial question.
Ahh, you applied to a needy school (or one that wants to see you grovel).

I hope the admissions committee is staying safe and healthy.”

This is just being polite. You're supposed to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.