This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hendo270

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it Really possible? Becoming a DPT while serving in the National Guard..

First off, this is my very first post on SDN - I have realized how valuable some threads on here are to others! Hearing from those who have gone down the paths that others want to go down provides people with incredible advice and information!! Thankful for a place where students can have this opportunity!

My background: Been in the MN National Guard for just under 5 years. I will be starting my DPT schooling this fall. Now I have the option to reenlist and get my graduate schooling paid for, or get out April of 2019 and pay using student loans.

However, I am having doubts that its truly possible to be in a DPT program and be in the guard. I initally joined so that I wouldn't have to take on the enormous debt most students have, so I would love to take advantage of the benefits of the serving. However, is actually possible to finish a DPT program while serving in the military?!?!

With my current unit, we usually drill 3 days a month (Fri-Sun) and then of course I would have to miss 2 full weeks of school each summer. That is of course not taking into account the fact that I have a 3 week Army schooling I am scheduled to go to this fall, there is a good chance of an annual training being longer than 2 weeks next summer, and of course you never know if you will be deployed.

I would absolutely be thrilled to here from any students that have served while in DPT school and get ANY input or advice from them!! Its GREATLY appreciated. It will help my wife and I make a big decision for our lives in the very near future.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't gone through this exact situation, but I was AGR for an Army Reserve unit for several years. There are federal and often state laws that protect military students. With that being said missing out on coursework can be tough. Honestly I already feel like I've been playing catchup with more traditional students and missing just a couple of hours would really put me behind. What does your school's academic calendar look like, especially during the summer? Our school runs year round, but I know some schools have some type of summer break. Sit down with your chain of command and explain the situation. The mission always comes first, but they still might be able to work with you and minimize disruption to your school schedule while still meeting training demands. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I left active duty to attend PT school but I was considering staying reserves while in school. In my case, the drill weekends weren't going to be a problem (missing a day here or there, I could make up with my teachers/classmates help). However, I did discuss possibly having to miss multiple weeks in the summer. In that case, if the weeks were doing class, I would have had to roll back to catch the next class!!!

That said, we did not have school continuously in the summer. With a little bit of smart planning, I think you could pull this off. If you deploy, you deploy....you can roll back in that case and not incur debt in your case. Also, if you have to go to a training school this fall, you could ask for a deferment. I know in the moment, this seems crazy (to push back a year, or roll back a year). But in the end, a year is a year...it won't make a huge difference especially since you have a job and will be debt free tuition wise.

I think you would be an asset to your class and you will be so thankful to have your tuition paid for (I used the GI Bill for my tuition).

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gone through this exact situation, but I was AGR for an Army Reserve unit for several years. There are federal and often state laws that protect military students. With that being said missing out on coursework can be tough. Honestly I already feel like I've been playing catchup with more traditional students and missing just a couple of hours would really put me behind. What does your school's academic calendar look like, especially during the summer? Our school runs year round, but I know some schools have some type of summer break. Sit down with your chain of command and explain the situation. The mission always comes first, but they still might be able to work with you and minimize disruption to your school schedule while still meeting training demands. Good luck!

Scrawnyguy thank you for your reply!! I REALLY appreciate the feedback. So quick question, you were in a DPT program while in the Army reserves or where you in another program? If so, what were the things you did in order to stay on top of your schooling? Any tips or advice?

I am afraid I will be playing a lot of catchup as well, considering most of my drills are more than 2 days. USD does have a nice 3 week break between December and January. But there is only a 1 week break between semesters otherwise, including between spring and summer.

I left active duty to attend PT school but I was considering staying reserves while in school. In my case, the drill weekends weren't going to be a problem (missing a day here or there, I could make up with my teachers/classmates help). However, I did discuss possibly having to miss multiple weeks in the summer. In that case, if the weeks were doing class, I would have had to roll back to catch the next class!!!

That said, we did not have school continuously in the summer. With a little bit of smart planning, I think you could pull this off. If you deploy, you deploy....you can roll back in that case and not incur debt in your case. Also, if you have to go to a training school this fall, you could ask for a deferment. I know in the moment, this seems crazy (to push back a year, or roll back a year). But in the end, a year is a year...it won't make a huge difference especially since you have a job and will be debt free tuition wise.

I think you would be an asset to your class and you will be so thankful to have your tuition paid for (I used the GI Bill for my tuition).

Starrsgirl thank you for your comments, I'm grateful to hear from your experience. That is encouraging to me and I think I could also pull it off but I was just worried about mostly the Annual trainings and then having to miss 3 weeks this fall. I requested to have it pushed forward so I can go ASAP.

What do you mean by having to roll back and catch the next class? Your DPT program was ok with this? As I said in my last reply, I am mostly worried about my Annual training since my DPT program has no real breaks over the summer. As well as having to miss 3 weeks this fall.

If I do not reenlist then I wont have to worry about missing 3 weeks of school or going to annual training next summer but I also wouldn't get any of my schooling paid for.

Thank you for your reply!

Don’t re-enlist. You can’t get expelled over military service but you can he held to graduation requirements and have to repeat years etc....you have ni protection from deployment

The army will be there later

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t re-enlist. You can’t get expelled over military service but you can he held to graduation requirements and have to repeat years etc....you have ni protection from deployment

The army will be there later

The thing is if I don't reenlist then I will end up with a massive amount of debt and can't use any of the school benefits you get from serving.

The thing is if I don't reenlist then I will end up with a massive amount of debt and can't use any of the school benefits you get from serving.
If you’re willing to risk extending your degree by a year or two if you miss a few things that are only offered annually then go for it

Anybody who's serve in the Guard or reserve and went through a DPT program willing to add their two cents?!

Scrawnyguy thank you for your reply!! I REALLY appreciate the feedback. So quick question, you were in a DPT program while in the Army reserves or where you in another program? If so, what were the things you did in order to stay on top of your schooling? Any tips or advice?

I am afraid I will be playing a lot of catchup as well, considering most of my drills are more than 2 days. USD does have a nice 3 week break between December and January. But there is only a 1 week break between semesters otherwise, including between spring and summer.

I'm currently student in the last semester of the didactic portion of the Army-Baylor DPT program. I was in the Reserves during the start of my undergrad before I went on active duty. That was pretty easy to manage, but to be honest I don't think I could do so while in PT school. The main reason I actually left the Army initially was to head back to school and knock out my prereqs. Understandably the mission comes first, but it made if nigh impossible to knock out science classes with labs while still serving. Last minute TDYs, training, etc would pop up and interfere with my classes. I made the decision to just leave altogether and concentrate on schooling for a bit. Our didactic portion is slightly accelerated so it's not typical of most other programs, but I still think it would have been overwhelming to complete PT school while in the Reserves. When I was AGR I had Soldiers in Reserve status who completed graduate level programs while they were still in, but I think every single one of them had to draw out their studies a bit to make it work. I know the idea of going into large debt isn't appealing, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't try to do both. Do you qualify for the post 9/11 GI Bill at all? That could help take some of the edge off.

Starrsgirl thank you for your comments, I'm grateful to hear from your experience. That is encouraging to me and I think I could also pull it off but I was just worried about mostly the Annual trainings and then having to miss 3 weeks this fall. I requested to have it pushed forward so I can go ASAP.

What do you mean by having to roll back and catch the next class? Your DPT program was ok with this? As I said in my last reply, I am mostly worried about my Annual training since my DPT program has no real breaks over the summer. As well as having to miss 3 weeks this fall.

If I do not reenlist then I wont have to worry about missing 3 weeks of school or going to annual training next summer but I also wouldn't get any of my schooling paid for.

Thank you for your reply!
"roll back" means drop into the class behind you. Yes, my school was ok with this. It's wasn't unusual for a few students to need to do that for various reasons (baby, medical reason, family emergency) but it's a case by case basis. I hear what other people are saying about the difficulty to do both, but in this case, I think your service is important and I think the chance to go to school and get tuition covered is the deal of a lifetime. I agree with scrawny guy's question on the GI Bill...do you qualify for that? If not, what program are you using to pay for school? Have you ensured it will in fact pay for DPT school? Some of these mil tuition programs have very strange limitations on them...I ran into one that did not pay for a doctorate level degrees.

How military friendly is your school? Some schools really work hard to be military friendly and already have programs and policies in place. I would see if there is a veteran rep at the school and also get his/her opinion.

"roll back" means drop into the class behind you. Yes, my school was ok with this. It's wasn't unusual for a few students to need to do that for various reasons (baby, medical reason, family emergency) but it's a case by case basis. I hear what other people are saying about the difficulty to do both, but in this case, I think your service is important and I think the chance to go to school and get tuition covered is the deal of a lifetime. I agree with scrawny guy's question on the GI Bill...do you qualify for that? If not, what program are you using to pay for school? Have you ensured it will in fact pay for DPT school? Some of these mil tuition programs have very strange limitations on them...I ran into one that did not pay for a doctorate level degrees.

How military friendly is your school? Some schools really work hard to be military friendly and already have programs and policies in place. I would see if there is a veteran rep at the school and also get his/her opinion.

You make a good point about using TA for doctoral level studies. It's been several years since I used it myself but unless things changed you can't use the federal level TA (which AD and the Reserves use) for doctoral level studies. Since the NG gets some of its funds from the state's money pot they may have some different rules. That's definitely something to look into before making any big decisions either way.

Don’t do it... I have about 30 medics under me and we are setting to deploy. The lead up for mob can be hectic. Half my medics are in RN/LVN, etc. programs. All but 2 have had to postpone their classes. The remaining two are brave souls because prerequisite training schedules keep changes and they’re risking a lot.

When a unit is tryin to get their DMD roster filled for mob, your schooling becomes irrelevant. The needs of big army comes first.

With that said, I had a PJ one year ahead of me who continued drilling. He wasn’t deployable because he was in some ANG program that kept him in school. One week after graduation, he did a 3-4 month stint in the sandbox.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently student in the last semester of the didactic portion of the Army-Baylor DPT program. I was in the Reserves during the start of my undergrad before I went on active duty. That was pretty easy to manage, but to be honest I don't think I could do so while in PT school. The main reason I actually left the Army initially was to head back to school and knock out my prereqs. Understandably the mission comes first, but it made if nigh impossible to knock out science classes with labs while still serving. Last minute TDYs, training, etc would pop up and interfere with my classes. I made the decision to just leave altogether and concentrate on schooling for a bit. Our didactic portion is slightly accelerated so it's not typical of most other programs, but I still think it would have been overwhelming to complete PT school while in the Reserves. When I was AGR I had Soldiers in Reserve status who completed graduate level programs while they were still in, but I think every single one of them had to draw out their studies a bit to make it work. I know the idea of going into large debt isn't appealing, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't try to do both. Do you qualify for the post 9/11 GI Bill at all? That could help take some of the edge off.

Scrawnyguy I appreciate what you had to say. You bring up some good points. I think part of the balance between DPT school and serving depends upon your MOS, Unit, and even rank. With my current unit, I seem to have much more down time than with my previous unit and I would be able to accomplish some of my school work during drill weekends. I am part of a very small platoon and am the only one with my MOS in the company so I often don't get stuck with any ****ty odd jobs or "babysitting" of new privates.
I know MN Army National Guard has the option to reenlist for 1 year and that is what I am leaning towards. Otherwise only my fall semester would be covered by the guard since I would be getting out April 2019 otherwise. A 1 year reenlistment would exhaust my State Tuition Reimbursement benefits as well as my Chapter 1606 GI bill. I unfortunately do not qualify for the post 9/11 GI bill.
The other part is by serving over 6 years in the guard I would qualify for VA Home loan when it comes time to buy a house, which is beneficial considering the large debt my wife and I will have after our educations.
I really want to reenlist for just 1 year but I know it will be a struggle but I also believe it can work if we adapt our life style.

Starrsgirl wow thanks a ton! What great points you made. I never in fact "made sure" they paid for doctorate degrees however I know STR (State Tuition Reimbursement) does cover graduate school. This is what I would be using and I used some of the benefits for undergrad degree so I only have enough left for a portion of my DPT program.
My reenlistment of 1 year would exhaust my STR benefits and cover a large portion of of schooling. I would certainly not want to drop back into the class behind me if I didn't have to but I just cant help but think about all the money I could save by reenlisting for 1 extra year. Like you said, its a deal of a lifetime to get a docotate level degree without paying tuition. I don't want to pay out of pocket if I don't have to. That being said, I would rather struggle for the next 3 years with my time and money and then have more time and money when I finish school if that is a possibility, which is is.
I have not checked into how military friendly my school is but that is also something I will research.
My biggest concern with reenlisting is balancing my time and workload. I know a DPT program is in itself a big committment, so the idea of having to miss classes periodically and not have some of my weekends to study really concerns me. I can't be the first person to do this though right? I really just wasn't sure if serving and completing my DPT program would be too much.

Thank you everyone who has added your 2 cents! I really appreciate the feedback and comments.

I'm about to start my DPT program in June and am in the reserves as well. Missing school was a big concern of mine but my unit seems really willing to work with me to make up the time I will miss for school. Our annual training this year is scheduled for June so they are allowing me to make it up in May before I start school. My plan for the next few years is to try and squeeze my AT into the couple weeks off between semesters. It will definitely suck not getting that time off to recharge but I enjoy serving and want to maintain the benefits so I think it's worth it.

I'm about to start my DPT program in June and am in the reserves as well. Missing school was a big concern of mine but my unit seems really willing to work with me to make up the time I will miss for school. Our annual training this year is scheduled for June so they are allowing me to make it up in May before I start school. My plan for the next few years is to try and squeeze my AT into the couple weeks off between semesters. It will definitely suck not getting that time off to recharge but I enjoy serving and want to maintain the benefits so I think it's worth it.

I really appreciate you response ZJP4857. I am sort of in the same boat. My unit is flexible and I think they would let me do the same. But it is still a concern of mine considering the comittment a DPT program requires. I will have my AT this year (2018) before my DPT program starts but I will have to either make it up or miss 2 weeks of school next year if I decide to reenlist for another year.
Another concern of mine is the fact that we are dealing with the military here. For now your unit seems to be working with you but what happens when you have a change of command or a deployment comes up? I guess worst case scenario is you roll back to the next year? For me that would mean I would have to reenlist another year to get reimbursment for my schooling. I guess its something to consider but I really like hearing the input from those who have gone before me!!

I really appreciate you response ZJP4857. I am sort of in the same boat. My unit is flexible and I think they would let me do the same. But it is still a concern of mine considering the comittment a DPT program requires. I will have my AT this year (2018) before my DPT program starts but I will have to either make it up or miss 2 weeks of school next year if I decide to reenlist for another year.
Another concern of mine is the fact that we are dealing with the military here. For now your unit seems to be working with you but what happens when you have a change of command or a deployment comes up? I guess worst case scenario is you roll back to the next year? For me that would mean I would have to reenlist another year to get reimbursment for my schooling. I guess its something to consider but I really like hearing the input from those who have gone before me!!
I'm really fortunate with my particular situation because I have a two year stabilization from coming off active duty and since I completed my initial obligation already I'm free to leave whenever if it does start getting in the way of school. Even if a deployment does come up I have a hard time believing schools wouldn't work with anyone to make it work, plus you'll probably be eligible for more education benefits after that with would help out a lot.

First off, this is my very first post on SDN - I have realized how valuable some threads on here are to others! Hearing from those who have gone down the paths that others want to go down provides people with incredible advice and information!! Thankful for a place where students can have this opportunity!

My background: Been in the MN National Guard for just under 5 years. I will be starting my DPT schooling this fall. Now I have the option to reenlist and get my graduate schooling paid for, or get out April of 2019 and pay using student loans.

However, I am having doubts that its truly possible to be in a DPT program and be in the guard. I initally joined so that I wouldn't have to take on the enormous debt most students have, so I would love to take advantage of the benefits of the serving. However, is actually possible to finish a DPT program while serving in the military?!?!

With my current unit, we usually drill 3 days a month (Fri-Sun) and then of course I would have to miss 2 full weeks of school each summer. That is of course not taking into account the fact that I have a 3 week Army schooling I am scheduled to go to this fall, there is a good chance of an annual training being longer than 2 weeks next summer, and of course you never know if you will be deployed.

I would absolutely be thrilled to here from any students that have served while in DPT school and get ANY input or advice from them!! Its GREATLY appreciated. It will help my wife and I make a big decision for our lives in the very near future.

While not going through a DPT program, I am working full time, going to school full time, married, my unit loves 3-5 day drills every other month, and I just got back from a 2 week AT a week ago (seriously, who schedules AT during mid terms?!). In my current unit I have several people that are working on their Masters full time. Last unit had 1 going to Law School full time. The unit previous had a soldier going to Med School. In every case, the person worked with the unit in scheduling their drills. Depending on you (are you a dirtbag soldier or not) and your unit (is it a dirtbag unit), it is doable. Not a lot of people realize this, but you are a free agent in the Guard and Reserves. As long as you are proactive and get it approved by your commander, you can get an alternate drill schedule. (Not to mention that a muta 6 every month is against regulation. You guys must be using ADT orders from time to time.) AT days can be broken up or replaced with school dates. You mentioned a 3 week school. That would replace your AT obligation if you choose. If your current unit won't work with you, transfer units. Find a medical unit. If you are E6+ become a DIMA. Reenlist in to the IRR (however that will kill your deferments). If switching to the USAR is an option, do that instead of staying a nasty girl (reserves having more options unit wise).

So honestly, your position isn't as unique as you'd like to think, it just requires you being proactive and scheduling out your muta's and AT days.

If you are still looking for advice on this subject, feel free to message me. I am currently a second year DPT student and am a 1LT in the PA ARNG (MS). It is very doable, just requires advanced planning, communication, and extra motivation to be successful.

If you are still looking for advice on this subject, feel free to message me. I am currently a second year DPT student and am a 1LT in the PA ARNG (MS). It is very doable, just requires advanced planning, communication, and extra motivation to be successful.

You going to stay MS or switch over to clinical? I’m thinking of switching to clinical, but in an operational unit, I find that providers’ input and decisions are not well respected. They’re not looked to as leaders of soldiers, but leaders of their medical specialties; not both.

I served in the Army Reserves while in a full-time DPT program, so yes, it is possible depending on your unit requirements and command. Planning and communication was key. Luckily my unit did not deploy during my time in school, and my command was very accommodating. I attended school in Florida; however, my unit was in Maryland. It was easier to stay with that unit as I had established rapport and they were agreeable to being flexible. At times I was able to RST in Jacksonville or Gainesville, but when I went to Maryland I had to maximize my time by studying on my flight and after the drill day. I also did not have a team while I was in school, so not as much responsibility although I was a NCO. As far as annual training, my school has trimesters with two weeks in between. My unit was agreeable to allowing me to complete home station AT at the unit assisting full time personnel, so I'd hop in my car and make the drive to Maryland following my final exam or practical, report to my unit the next day, and 14 days later drive back in time for the next trimester to begin. It was not at all easy, and looking back I do not know how I did it with 3 good years and not failing any courses, but I did and it's paid off.

You going to stay MS or switch over to clinical? I’m thinking of switching to clinical, but in an operational unit, I find that providers’ input and decisions are not well respected. They’re not looked to as leaders of soldiers, but leaders of their medical specialties; not both.

Putting my packet in for AD (Specialist Corps) 70B AOC to 65B upon completion of my DPT program.

Well for anyone who is wondering, now that I have been in PT school for almost a year I definitely think it is doable, but not easy!!
I was able to complete my first year of PT school with a GPA above 3.8 while serving in the guard. Also, during this first year of school my wife was pregnant and we had a 1 year old daughter to take care of and I commuted about 50 minutes to school each day. So I was able to make it work but I will say most days for me were very busy with little free time on weekdays. I think for those who don't have a family or a long commute to school, serving in the guard while in PT school is much more doable.
However, I did just ETS from the guard in April so I did NOT have to attend AT while in PT school. I think missing 2 or more weeks of school because of AT would be a significant challenge to get caught back up.

I’m in the Army Reserves and have had a contrasting experience. I gave birth to my daughter during my first year of PT school and was in the Army Reserves - it has been impossible. Trying to make AT fit has been the worst

I am about to find out! I've got 1.5 years left in ARNG and my unit is very supportive and been able to get me out of ATs..