Is it too late for an LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashtie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at one school in late January and didn't realize (until after interviewing at other places) that it is now definitely my top choice. Is it too late to write an LOI? The school is rolling admission so I suppose I should hear any day now. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

After going through the application process and being accepted to a school I really like, I still have not heard of anyone writing a letter of intent. Is this something that you would do in order to express to the school that they are your first choice?

I guess my question is; what is a LOI? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
LoI's are probably most useful when you're already on a wait-list, I would guess. It helps schools out because they know that if they accept you, you'd defiitely go. So they look better with their matriculation:acceptance ratio.

Originally posted by getcloned
After going through the application process and being accepted to a school I really like, I still have not heard of anyone writing a letter of intent. Is this something that you would do in order to express to the school that they are your first choice?

I guess my question is; what is a LOI? :confused:

your LOI stands for a letter of intent (the other one would be for a letter of interest)

an intent letter is written to a school (commonly when you get waitlisted) to let them know that you are their first choice for the following reasons....and that if they decide to give you an acceptance that you would guarantee you will withdraw from all the other schools you have applied to and matriculate at that school.

a letter of interest on the other hand is not a binding letter and written to let the school know that you are still interested in them and would love to hear back from them.