Is it too late for me to apply this application cycle (2021)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreabug

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been the most diligent about apps and just started working on my primary app May 24th. This was mainly because I'm also currently studying for my MCAT (which I'm taking July 7th). In terms of apps I'm starting with a completely blank slate, meaning no LORs yet and need to write a personal statement from scratch. Ideally I would submit in mid June, but I don't know if this is feasible! What do you guys think? I'm so nervous about this and really don't want to wait another year to apply :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should prepare for the 2022 cycle. It can be stressful tracking down all the letters of recommendation that you need and you do not want to rush your essays, especially your personal statement. I began preparing for my cycle in December the year prior and it went very smoothly, but still took me until early may to finish everything, and have all my essays proof read multiple times as well as revising them. Do not rush this.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you ask for LORs? Does your school provides committee letter? Don't you get MCAT score in 2 weeks? Also, do you have strong GPA and ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should prepare for the 2022 cycle. It can be stressful tracking down all the letters of recommendation that you need and you do not want to rush your essays, especially your personal statement. I began preparing for my cycle in December the year prior and it went very smoothly, but still took me until early may to finish everything, and have all my essays proof read multiple times as well as revising them. Do not rush this.

Thanks for the response! That would definitely be the less risky path with the only con being that I will prob end up with 3 gap years

Did you ask for LORs? Does your school provides committee letter? Don't you get MCAT score in 2 weeks? Also, do you have strong GPA and ECs?

I have not asked for LORs yet! I will ask my pre health advisor during online office hours today about LORs/whether they provide a commitee letter. My GPA is strong, ECs are decent, and I'm retaking the MCAT after getting a 508 last time (I feel better about it this time around).

Why did you wait until now? You had to have known that LORs and your PS were necessary. Why didn't you ask this question in January if you didn't want to do another gap year?

Reactions: 4 users
Daiannx said:
I have not asked for LORs yet! I will ask my pre health advisor during online office hours today about LORs/whether they provide a commitee letter. My GPA is strong, ECs are decent, and I'm retaking the MCAT after getting a 508 last time (I feel better about it this time around).
What are you scoring on your practice FLs?

Why did you wait until now? You had to have known that LORs and your PS were necessary. Why didn't you ask this question in January if you didn't want to do another gap year?

I have been so focused on retaking the MCAT that I was stupid and assumed it was normal to start working on applications in late May. I'm so mad at myself rn! I just need to know if there is any morsel of hope for this cycle or if I have to wait another year.

What are you scoring on your practice FLs?

Last 2 tests I took were Altius FL 4 and FL 5 (which is deflated I believe) and scored 511 and 513. I started out at 503 for FL 2 (this was at the beginning of my studying for a retake)

I have been so focused on retaking the MCAT that I was stupid and assumed it was normal to start working on applications in late May. I'm so mad at myself rn! I just need to know if there is any morsel of hope for this cycle or if I have to wait another year.

It depends on a few things:
  • How quickly can you pump-out quality essays? You have to be honest with yourself about this.
  • Do you have all of your LORs lined up? I think this is the most time restrictive element. A small turnaround time could lead to a crappy letter. Don't rush this.
If you can't realistically make this happen then you shouldn't waste your money applying. You are better off saving your money and preparing better next cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on a few things:
  • How quickly can you pump-out quality essays? You have to be honest with yourself about this.
  • Do you have all of your LORs lined up? I think this is the most time restrictive element. A small turnaround time could lead to a crappy letter. Don't rush this.
If you can't realistically make this happen then you shouldn't waste your money applying. You are better off saving your money and preparing better next cycle.

I have no idea to be honest which is why I'm so anxious :/ I guess I will try my best to do it this cycle but if it's too overwhelming I will postpone until next year. And no to the LORs, which is what I'm most worried about

I have no idea to be honest which is why I'm so anxious :/ I guess I will try my best to do it this cycle but if it's too overwhelming I will postpone until next year. And no to the LORs, which is what I'm most worried about

The LOR's were honestly the worst part of the application for me because it is something that is completely out of your control. You can't control when they decide to write the letters or what they write about, and I don't think it would be wise to rush your letter writers. I had 3 letter writers that took months and it took constant pestering for them to finally get them finished and sent in to AMCAS.

Reactions: 2 users
The LOR's were honestly the worst part of the application for me because it is something that is completely out of your control. You can't control when they decide to write the letters or what they write about, and I don't think it would be wise to rush your letter writers. I had 3 letter writers that took months and it took constant pestering for them to finally get them finished and sent in to AMCAS.

Dang that sounds frustrating. After talking to a helpful tutor I have made the decision to apply next cycle instead! That lifts a heavy weight off my shoulders and now I can focus on my upcoming MCAT. This time I know what to expect and can start preparing in January or something lol

Reactions: 1 user
Dang that sounds frustrating. After talking to a helpful tutor I have made the decision to apply next cycle instead! That lifts a heavy weight off my shoulders and now I can focus on my upcoming MCAT. This time I know what to expect and can start preparing in January or something lol
go crush the MCAT and get involved in volunteering and clinical exposure during your gap year! Good luck

I thought it was a general rule if you can submit by Labor Day this year, your application wouldn't be considered "late"? So OP, try to spend a good chunk of your day once per week ( I know you are studying for your MCAT) until you take your MCAT writing your PS. It doesn't have to be perfect on your first draft. Each week, keep making it better and keep sending it to other people to proof-read it or make it better ( there is plenty of people on SDN & Reddit who do this for free).
Your next step is to find who will write your LOR right now. I don't know how health committees work since I am not using one but keep updating your health advisor and your professors. Some professors take forever and others take quick times to write them (One of mine took <2 weeks). If you ace your MCAT and your gpa is good, I don't know why you would even be afraid to apply in August if worst case scenario happens and your LORs take forever. How about DO?

I haven't been the most diligent about apps and just started working on my primary app May 24th. This was mainly because I'm also currently studying for my MCAT (which I'm taking July 7th). In terms of apps I'm starting with a completely blank slate, meaning no LORs yet and need to write a personal statement from scratch. Ideally I would submit in mid June, but I don't know if this is feasible! What do you guys think? I'm so nervous about this and really don't want to wait another year to apply :(
You can apply as late as Labor Day and still be OK for MD, and as late as Tgiving for DO

This^^^^^. You've been on lock down since mid March, have a blank slate on May 24th and are studying for the MCAT in 6 weeks. No way do you have enough time to do a decent job given where you are, what you have to do for the MCAT, and the time you have left. You shouldn't be worrying about anything except the MCAT now.

If you can get to work on 7/8 and get something decent completed, with transcripts, by the end of July, and with LORs and secondaries in by the end of August, then you can take a shot. Otherwise, just accept the fact that your procrastination has cost you another year and give some thought on how you are going to spend 2021-22.

This^^^^^. You've been on lock down since mid March, have a blank slate on May 24th and are studying for the MCAT in 6 weeks. No way do you have enough time to do a decent job given where you are, what you have to do for the MCAT, and the time you have left. You shouldn't be worrying about anything except the MCAT now.

If you can get to work on 7/8 and get something decent completed, with transcripts, by the end of July, and with LORs and secondaries in by the end of August, then you can take a shot. Otherwise, just accept the fact that your procrastination has cost you another year and give some thought on how you are going to spend 2021-22.

Having had the whole day to reflect over my decision I agree 100%. Knowing that I will have a whole year to work on apps after I take my MCAT makes me feel way less anxious and feels way more right. Plus I feel way better knowing I can focus solely on MCAT right now. Besides, if I were to matriculate at 25 it wouldn't be the end of the world