Is it too late for NIH IRTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airquis91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to apply to NIH IRTA post bac? Im just finding out about this program and it seems like an amazing opportunity for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an interest in health disparities work as well?

No, it's not too late. You can fill out the application online and you can start contacting PIs directly right away. You will need to send out a lot of e-mails before you even get a response, but you only need one person to accept you. Once your application is submitted, include in your e-mail that you've submitted an application (they can search for it on their end). Have references ready to write letters and be contacted by the PIs recruiting you if need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure that when you're filling out your application you're using keywords, a lot of PIs will search for specific background in their post bacs.

Make sure that when you're filling out your application you're using keywords, a lot of PIs will search for specific background in their post bacs.

Can you elaborate on keywords?

What would you say if the answer was yes?

NIH Academy Enrichment Program - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health

You both should check out this program it’s basically like the NIH IRTA program with an additional health disparities component. The second deadline is in June!

You both should check out this program it’s basically like the NIH IRTA program with an additional health disparities component. The second deadline is in June!

Are you currently in this program? is it hard to get selected?

Its not too late. I was accepted at the end of April. Like others have said, be wise with the keywords you put in your application. This was how I was contacted. I sent out about 70 emails(I recommend contacting staff scientists and postdocs as well as the PI because they are better at responding) out of 70 I'd say roughly 30 emailed back, and of the 30 about 10 had a position open, and of those I interviewed with 2. So you really have to cast a wide net, and ironically the position I took contacted me instead. Oh and if you get an interview dont just take the job, make sure it's a good fit and ask about what you will be doing and if you will have the chance to be published. Some people unfortunately use this program as cheap lab labor. If you get into a good lab, you will have a blast! Good luck!

Its not too late. I was accepted at the end of April. Like others have said, be wise with the keywords you put in your application. This was how I was contacted. I sent out about 70 emails(I recommend contacting staff scientists and postdocs as well as the PI because they are better at responding) out of 70 I'd say roughly 30 emailed back, and of the 30 about 10 had a position open, and of those I interviewed with 2. So you really have to cast a wide net, and ironically the position I took contacted me instead. Oh and if you get an interview dont just take the job, make sure it's a good fit and ask about what you will be doing and if you will have the chance to be published. Some people unfortunately use this program as cheap lab labor. If you get into a good lab, you will have a blast! Good luck!

Can i PM you? i have some questions about getting selected and emailing PIs if u dont mind.

I also wanted to add that after I accepted my position, I was contacted by a lab at the end of July which was desperately looking for a postbac. They seemed really cool and I wished I could have accepted both. So there is a few waves of when they look for people, and it seems like there are labs in the summer that realize oh **** we need a postbac and start looking when a bunch of labs already did that in January, February. So dont give up even if you haven't gotten anywhere by June or July.

I also wanted to add that after I accepted my position, I was contacted by a lab at the end of July which was desperately looking for a postbac. They seemed really cool and I wished I could have accepted both. So there is a few waves of when they look for people, and it seems like there are labs in the summer that realize oh **** we need a postbac and start looking when a bunch of labs already did that in January, February. So dont give up even if you haven't gotten anywhere by June or July.

sent you a PM

Can you elaborate on keywords?
I am currently entering my second year as a post bac and when I filled out my application I made sure to not only list my broad interests areas like AD or PD, but also specific techniques that I knew and also wanted to learn. And to reiterate what some other people have said, yes there are still labs out there looking for postbacs, you just have to email a bunch of PIs. My suggestion would be to apply broadly, you could be pleasantly surprised with your experience even if its about a topic you don't think you'll be interested in. Also, if you don't receive any emails - sometimes PIs will actually email you, I got 2 interviews and acceptances that way so don't lose out hope, but this is where the techniques and interests you put in your application come into play.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so i was told to ask friends if their department is looking for postbaccs and that a big wave is leaving in june. Do you have any leads on any potential openings?