Is it too late to add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was verified on 6/2, transmitted on 7/10. I've finished the 32 secondaries for schools I’ve already designated, but I feel like I should add more after looking at a few different programs I wasn't aware of before. Is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

It will not be too late for the next month

Reactions: 4 users
How about adding schools in October w secondaries submitted by mid October ?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not early, especially this year, when some schools are already reporting completed applications running well ahead of last year. Apparently, a lot of people were sitting around with nothing to do in April and May, and applications in the first few days that AMCAS opened were 50% higher than last year.

That has definitely leveled off, but, other than people waiting for delayed MCAT scores (and they've been told by a lot of schools to apply without them), if anything, applications are being submitted earlier than prior years, not later. Submitting in October this year will probably be the same as doing so in any other year.

n= 1 But I submitted my only secondary application at the end of September and had an interview invite 10 business days later. I don’t think Meadow October will be too much of a problem.

n= 1 But I submitted my only secondary application at the end of September and had an interview invite 10 business days later. I don’t think Meadow October will be too much of a problem.
It always depends. Strong applicants will be noticed whenever they apply (before the deadline). Less strong applicants, not so much.

By the way, for the longest time I've been wondering about your signature showing only one application and one acceptance. Without divulging anything you are not comfortable disclosing, I am assuming you are a very special case, so your experience might not translate to the rest of us. Surely you are not going to recommend most people will be fine submitting only one application at the end of September, are you? :)

It always depends. Strong applicants will be noticed whenever they apply (before the deadline). Less strong applicants, not so much.

By the way, for the longest time I've been wondering about your signature showing only one application and one acceptance. Without divulging anything you are not comfortable disclosing, I am assuming you are a very special case, so your experience might not translate to the rest of us. Surely you are not going to recommend most people will be fine submitting only one application at the end of September, are you? :)

I did not and have not recommended that folks apply to one school. In the context of this I simply said that I submitted in a normal cycle late September and that it wasn’t a problem. Remember, applications are not necessarily processed in the order they are received. As far as my application being unique, I don’t think it was that unique.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not and have not recommended that folks apply to one school. In the context of this I simply said that I submitted in a normal cycle late September and that it wasn’t a problem. Remember, applications are not necessarily processed in the order they are received. As far as my application being unique, I don’t think it was that unique.
Then, if you don't mind my asking, how the hell did you get away with only applying to one school at the end of September, and actually scoring an acceptance? Whether or not you realize it, there is definitely something pretty special about you!!! I've just been assuming all along that you were ED.

Unless you were ED, I don't understand how you can say submitting your application with a 100% acceptance rate is not unique.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you were ED, I don't understand how you can say submitting your application with a 100% acceptance rate is not unique.
And having the confidence to only submit one application!!!! I'm betting there was some circumstance that tied him to a particular location/school. For me, that qualifies as unique.

That's not early, especially this year, when some schools are already reporting completed applications running well ahead of last year. Apparently, a lot of people were sitting around with nothing to do in April and May, and applications in the first few days that AMCAS opened were 50% higher than last year.

That has definitely leveled off, but, other than people waiting for delayed MCAT scores (and they've been told by a lot of schools to apply without them), if anything, applications are being submitted earlier than prior years, not later. Submitting in October this year will probably be the same as doing so in any other year.

The latest my primary will be verified is sept 26 hopefully it doesn’t take the full 8 weeks so I can get all secondaries in before September ends.

Then, if you don't mind my asking, how the hell did you get away with only applying to one school at the end of September, and actually scoring an acceptance? Whether or not you realize it, there is definitely something pretty special about you!!! I've just been assuming all along that you were ED.

To be honest, I don’t know. My numbers were competitive but not breaking the bank at the school I applied to. My ECs were a bit outside the norm as I had been a teacher in underserved schools for the past 6 years. I’m pretty sure my written materials were strong and I tend to interview well. All that being said, I knew there was an incredibly high chance that I would need to reapply and had continued to volunteer and shadowing in preparation for that.

To be honest, I don’t know. My numbers were competitive but not breaking the bank at the school I applied to. My ECs were a bit outside the norm as I had been a teacher in underserved schools for the past 6 years. I’m pretty sure my written materials were strong and I tend to interview well. All that being said, I knew there was an incredibly high chance that I would need to reapply and had continued to volunteer and shadowing in preparation for that.
Are you willing to share why you only applied to one school? Pretty ballsy given what you just said, and even more impressive!!! Were you in fact tied to one location?

Are you willing to share why you only applied to one school? Pretty ballsy given what you just said, and even more impressive!!! Were you in fact tied to one location?
I have a parent diagnosed with stage 4 cancer with very low 5 year survival rates. I wanted to be a doctor but not if it meant missing the last few years I will have with them. Up until the diagnosis, hence the late submission, I had planned on applying to 20 programs but my top choice was always closer to home. I was more than prepared to keep applying to the same school if necessary.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I have a parent diagnosed with stage 4 cancer with very low 5 year survival rates. I wanted to be a doctor but not if it meant missing the last few years I will have with them. Up until the diagnosis, hence the late submission, I had planned on applying to 20 programs but my top choice was always closer to home. I was more than prepared to keep applying to the same school if necessary.
I'm sorry to hear this. You deserve all the success that is coming your way. Good luck!!