Is it too late to add schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My question is just as the title says: On the school-specific threads, I am seeing a lot of people receive II's and as I have not received any, I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to add schools and submit more secondaries to cast an even wider net.

I've seen in the forum (from @Goro I believe) that Early/Mid October wouldn't be too late this year, and I was wondering if that sentiment still remained. I would love to hear some thoughts from other members and AdComs (@LizzyM, @gonnif). Just for reference, my LizzyM score is 78 and with pretty good EC's.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that the game has changed and, now it's late, unless you're a superstar
Thanks for your reply @Goro. Would being 'late' hurt my chances (maybe even significantly) but still give me a shot, or would it just be a waste of money at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's late for sure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it necessarily. On the other hand, it's only October 12th, usually the rule of thumb is if you don't receive any interviews by Thanksgiving, then you should start planning a reapplication. If your initial list was good, I wouldn't worry too much.

Being late hurts your chances, in my book.
I don't get it. Didn't you also respond to another OP that is not too late even though it was 2 weeks after this post to this OP??

I don't get it. Didn't you also respond to another OP that is not too late even though it was 2 weeks after this post to this OP??
I'm not a huge fan of his, and I didn't see the thread you are talking about, but it's entirely possible that one thread involved MD, where mid-October is pretty late, although people hoped that wouldn't be the case this year because of COVID (and still be okay at some schools) and DO, which definitely has a more extended time line. That might explain the apparent inconsistency.