is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
t

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should add all the top programs you are interested in. Primary submitted in early August and then verification + secondaries submitted early Sept is perfectly normal timing. You are not too late.

You should add all the top programs you are interested in. Primary submitted in early August and then verification + secondaries submitted early Sept is perfectly normal timing. You are not too late.

Thanks for your reply. I just don't know if I am too late to apply to some top 20 programs. My dream school is in the top 20 and I don't want to risk being a reapplicant for it. Not sure if my application and credentials are strong enough, especially since I am late in the cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I just don't know if I am too late to apply to some top 20 programs. My dream school is in the top 20 and I don't want to risk being a reapplicant for it. Not sure if my application and credentials are strong enough, especially since I am late in the cycle...
You are not too late for t20s. You really aren't late at all. Most of the top schools have interview seasons that extend far into winter, they are still giving out tons of interviews all through Sept and Oct. You do not need to add a gap year just to hit complete a few weeks sooner. You are not going to face any kind of significant disadvantage for hitting complete in ~10-14 days from now. Just make sure to start prewriting secondaries immediately.

You are not too late for t20s. You really aren't late at all. Most of the top schools have interview seasons that extend far into winter, they are still giving out tons of interviews all through Sept and Oct. You do not need to add a gap year just to hit complete a few weeks sooner. You are not going to face any kind of significant disadvantage for hitting complete in ~10-14 days from now. Just make sure to start prewriting secondaries immediately.
The issue here is not being late in submitting
It is late to get the secondaries written and polished to fine degree that is needed to be competitive. That is up to decide how much you can get done in the next 4 weeks or so. Most applicants who decide to do this so late in the cycle typically have weaker backgrounds than you. So you must get well-written, concise, coherent, and compelling secondaries out quickly. Dont overly rush and send junk but dont delay for absolutely perfection. In other words give it to 'em good and fast

Thanks for your input. I just got notification that my application is verified and received invitations to complete secondaries at 2 schools. I will try my best to get them in ASAP. SO nervous at this point!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on SDN so please forgive any naive mistakes while posting!

I am in a sort of dilemma at this point. I submitted by primary on August 4th and just received my MCAT scores back. I got 95 percentile on the exam and have an undergrad GPA of 3.96. This is was my first time taking the MCAT. I also have my masters degree from UCSF/UC Berkeley with a 3.85+ GPA. In addition, my ECs include a medical scribe position in an ENT clinic (over 1 year), experience working in a pharmaceutical start up (2 years), excellent letters of rec from undergrad/grad/work, undergrad research experience (over 3 years), engineering experience, etc.

At this point, however, I want to aim for some of the better schools out there, but I am concerned that I am really late in applying. Should I wait until next year and in the meantime strengthen my application more, or should I try to apply this year. I added on some schools on AMCAS (not my top choices, which I am saving for next year), but my application has not been reviewed yet. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks a lot!
Nope, not too late. Aim high!

Thanks a lot. I feel a bit of relief at this point knowing that my application is verified, but I know I am in for a lot of hard work completing secondaries in the next few weeks.

What is your school list?

CA Northstate Univ
Central Michigan
Emory
USC
Loma Linda
Mayo Clinic
Michigan State
Oakland University William Beaumont
Oregon Health and Science University
UCLA
UCSD
UCR
UCI
UCSF (Not hopeful on this one, was forced by husband to apply!)--Although I do have a really strong letter from my PI who is a UCSF physician)
UC Davis
University of Rochester
Wayne State
Western Michigan
University of Michigan
University of Toledo
University of Florida
Ohio State
USF Health Morsani
University of Utah

Last edited:
3.96/517 with a research master's? Stanford is 100% worth the fee. I'd also personally add a few more competitive research powerhouses, like another 3-4 of the top 10/20 at minimum.

3.96/517 with a research master's? Stanford is 100% worth the fee. I'd also personally add a few more competitive research powerhouses, like another 3-4 of the top 10/20 at minimum.

My biggest concern is that I don't have significant recent community service experience. I had a lot of volunteer experience several years ago that I did list on my application. I got so caught up with work and settling down that I just didn't focus on this; although I do volunteer at my local church. I also didn't think too hard about medical school until recently. I am planning on starting work at a hospice center soon because I finally have the time now. I just don't feel confident enough to apply to top 10 programs at this time.

Last edited:
I just don't feel confident enough to apply to top 10 programs at this time.
Just be aware you're extremely likely to get some t20 interviews if you apply. You don't need lots of ongoing service. If you applied to a few more t20s I'd put money on you getting at least 1-2 interviews out of it.

Just be aware you're extremely likely to get some t20 interviews if you apply. You don't need lots of ongoing service. If you applied to a few more t20s I'd put money on you getting at least 1-2 interviews out of it.

Thanks for boosting my confidence. :) I am considering applying to some more t20 schools, but I want to make sure I get the secondaries done. I feel so overwhelmed, have like 12 secondaries to complete ASAP and its stressing me out! Wasn't expecting this at all; that's why I wanted to apply next year, but a gap year isn't worth it at this point. I hope I get in somewhere this year... :/ If not I guess the experience of applying and timing is good to have down.