is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starzz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to SDN, and from what I've seen alotta' people definitly have some good advice going on these threads. My question, which I definitly would like some answers/advice on is, that is it too late to apply to med schools, being that its end of july and everything. I'm taking the mcats in august, so i know that puts me back a bit, but on a general consencus, what does everyone here think.. too late to apply or is there still a chance... thanks a lot... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

"Back in my day.." I applied at the end of November for various reasons and did ok in the end. Well, what's the worst that could happen if you apply this year and don't get in? Try again next year. As long as you don't run out of money it's worth the shot.

hey, u said back in ur day.. how many days ago is that day.. and when did u get ur interview calls.. ?

Members don't see this ad :)
its not too late but i hope you are a little jesus or you will be seriousyl behind the game.

Perhaps you can apply now, but only if you have already completed your final draft of your personal essay and can apply immediately. It takes a long time for paperwork to move along in this process. I applied in June last year and took the August MCAT. It takes about 6 weeks for the August scores to arrive (I think). You'll also need time for secondary applications and will need to turn those around quickly. Begin those asap after the MCAT.

If you are gonna apply, get the AMCAS in soon, as some schools will start sending you secondaries. I know MCAT studying is really important, but try to work on this soon so you can focus on MCAT the last couple of weeks.
At some schools, you will be competing for fewer spots at schools w/ rolling admissions; but, some schools (Yale is the only one that comes to mind right now) have a set deadline, so you will be o.k. there. I know a few friends this past cycle that really applied late, and they did o.k.
But, be prepared for a lot of secondaries (depending on how many places you apply) in late Aug. and Sept.

AHHHH! This thread is another example of SDN neuroticism gone completely wrong.

July - yes, even the end of July - is not late to submit your AMCAS. If you get on top of your game and start tackling the non-screener school secondaries immediately after pressing submit, you will be able to bang those suckers out as soon as they come in. Many schools will send you secondaries as soon as they receive notification of your AMCAS submission-- even before verification. You have time to work on your secondaries, get those in by September, by which point your AMCAS will certainly be verified, and be considered for Nov/Dev interviews, which is NOT LATE. People interview right through April, so don't get nervous. Most of the people on SDN are psycho gunners who think that if you don't submit your AMCAS at 12:02am on June 1st, you're a loser. They are wrong. You'll be fine.

stinkycheese said:

July - yes, even the end of July - is not late to submit your AMCAS. If you get on top of your game and start tackling the non-screener school secondaries immediately after pressing submit, you will be able to bang those suckers out as soon as they come in. Many schools will send you secondaries as soon as they receive notification of your AMCAS submission-- even before verification. You have time to work on your secondaries, get those in by September, by which point your AMCAS will certainly be verified, and be considered for Nov/Dev interviews, which is NOT LATE. People interview right through April, so don't get nervous. Most of the people on SDN are psycho gunners who think that if you don't submit your AMCAS at 12:02am on June 1st, you're a loser. They are wrong. You'll be fine.

You are generally correct, but the OP is taking August MCATs, which has a delay that cannot be prevented relative to the majority (though certainly not even close to all) of other applicants

stinkycheese said:

agreed, even if it takes you into the very beginning of august to submitt I don't think I'd call you "late" CERTAINLY not "too late." Start AMCAS now, get your official transcripts sent (and get a copy of the OFFICIAL trans. for yourself to fill out the coursework section), and make sure your LORs are in order. You need to get a move on, but its by no means too late, just do it as soon as you can.

hey, thanks to all of you guys for helping me out in this lil moment of my crisis... it's good to hear from others who have gone through the same experience or know of someone... i'll get cracking on this stuff asap.. also if you have any other advice on this matter, feel free to let me know....thanks again....... :D

Starzz said:
hey, thanks to all of you guys for helping me out in this lil moment of my crisis... it's good to hear from others who have gone through the same experience or know of someone... i'll get cracking on this stuff asap.. also if you have any other advice on this matter, feel free to let me know....thanks again....... :D

You are not too late. Just make sure you submit it right after you finish the MCAT (that should be the only thing you think about until test day!). Since schools won't look at your application without the MCAT, you'll actually have plenty of time to finish your secondaries. I submitted my AMCAS on 6/21, and have gotten most of my secondaries (and sent off more that half of them already) and it has only been 35 days since I submitted. Since it'll be 60 days before you get your MCAT back, you have plenty of time to submit and fill out the secondaries. Just make sure that you take a light load in the fall (if you can), cause the secondaries are really time consuming until you get the hang of it. You'll love the case and ohio state ones!

Starzz said:
. I'm taking the mcats in august...

Sorry to break it to you, but they only administer the MCAT once in August. :laugh:

I applied late, Sept, of Last year, not a problem. I got in.

No you are fine. Just get your application in as soon as possible. There are plenty of people who don;t apply until after the MCATs or worse yet, until they get their MCAT scores (in October). Don't do that. Apply if you have the money and can afford it. Worse case scenario- you will reapply next year.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

i know at least 5 folks that aren't submitting until september..take a chill pill.. breathe...and then apply... you'll be fine