Is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFElf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I almost gave up to apply to med school. However, my friend keeps encouraging me to try again. Is it too late to apply for 2003 cycle? Any advise ?

My stats: Sci GPA 3.71, Overal GPA 3.62, MCAT 6/12/11/M, 7/11/11/L

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply just to see what happens. I know its real late but you have nothing to lose except time and money. My co-worker applied around this time last year and she got 4 acceptances. She had a 28 MCAT and 3.4 GPA.

I'd say go for it but I'd only apply to about 10 schools including and especially your state schools.

Most people will probably take the other side and tell you to wait and that's fine.....IF you don't mind sitting a year out. Also, SDN people are always CRAZY early when it comes to getting their apps in as opposed to the general premed applicants.

BEST of luck!!!

Actually, for most all schools... it is too late. Most schools have deadlines of Nov. 15 for secondaries... if you haven't submitted AMCAS then it's definitely too late I would say. But you can always check.... maybe there are a few schools with later deadlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely it is to late. Many schools have deadlines for a completed AMCAS application of Oct. 1 or 15, Nov.1 or Nov.15.

Check you state school and see what their deadline is. If they don't have one, go a head and give it a shot, but you gotta scramble and get all your transcripts to AMCAS and get a personal statement done.

I think you should apply at some point and there is nothing wrong with waiting until next cycle and maximizing your chances.

The application process is very emotionally draining and time consuming. Your stats look pretty good and based on those I think that you would be a good candidate. However, I think that you should wait until next year to maximize your chances of getting in. Give it 100% next year (i.e. apply in June). Then have a good time with this year off.

During that time you can also do some soul searching to determine if you really want to be a doc. Becoming a doc is very demanding of your personal time, and you need to be sure that you want to do this for yourself, not for your friends.

I say go for it, but keep the number of applications low. You never know. It might get stressful though, so be ready.

Peace

You can check on AMCAS website. There are some schools with December as the deadline to submit your AMCAS.

It's only late if you never try :D
Besides, stop debating, the clock is ticking.

if you haven't started your amcas yet, i wouldn't bother. no sense in turning in a hurried, half @ssed application to potentially interview for waitlist spots in march.

my vote: save your money, time, and minimize undue stress. apply super early next year, and you'll be in pretty good shape. early bird gets the worm in this game.

good luck in any case :D

I agree with DW. I don't understand why anyone would counsel you to apply this late because

1. You are as late in the process now as it is possible to get and still apply in this application cycle. This puts you at a huge disadvantage - not only will all April MCATers have interviewed before you but even those August MCATers who waited to see their scores will be complete and interviewed at schools before you. With rolling admissions I don't see how you could be competing for anything but waitlist spots.

2. You seem to be doing it on the urging of your friends. You need to be committed not peer-swayed.

3. Even if you had amazing 'stats' and ECs I think this is too late. Your stats are fine. They are not amazing, however, and you know that because they have failed to get you in before (when I assume you applied earlier in the cycle...).

Applying takes stress, time and lots of money. Although there are always exceptions and stories of "I had a friend who did everything the same as you and still got in" the chances are heavily stacked against you for this cycle. Apply June 1st for next years cycle.

i agree.... its waaay late. by the time AMCAS submits your stuff to the school, it'd be about a month, and then the school sends you the secondary and you fill that in, and then the school waits for your LORs and stuff...
you'll be lucky if your app is complete by mid Jan.
As DW said, there really isnt any point in rushing through your apps now... just wait, get all the LORs lined up, and complete your AMCAS the first day it goes online in June 2003.
Its much better to be early in this game....
Also, I think you'll find that those schools with AMCAS deadlines in december will be rolling admissions.... you'd be at an awful advantage this late in a rolling process.

I say apply. You still have a chance. Remember, it's a whole YEAR off we're talking about - do you have plans to occupy those 365 days?

If you've got the $$ apply, but be very strategic about it. I'm sure there are other students in your place.

And I agree, stop debating and MOVE! ;)

C

critical variable i just noticed. OP's location= san jose= california resident? (read: "state" schools are damn near impossible to get into)

further enhancing my "apply next year vote". hey, i'd take the time next year and move to texas or ohio or something

I have to agree with DW, Darkchild, and the boy wonder. This is very late to submit your AMCAS application. And as DW pointed out, as a California resident I believe you would have a particularly tough time. It's very tough to get into California state schools and most of the private schools you would apply to offer admissions on a rolling basis. As the boy wonder pointed out, your application would be received way after almost all April and August MCATers.

When people ask if it is too late to apply in August or September, I think that they are at a disadvantage, but not so much so that they should forgoe applying. I think October is really pushing it, and at this point (late November) I have to think you're better off waiting until next year.

First, it's not worth the money and effort. Second, if you don't get in, there is no real time to significantly change your application. Most of the schools I reapplied to wanted to know in their secondaries what I have done to change and improve my application since the last time I applied. I think when reapplicants fail to make significant changes, it can hurt them, and you may be better off just waiting until June and be really early in the process next year. Not only will you avoid the stress of applying this year, but next year the application process might be a lot more stressfree because you may be one of those annoying SDNers with 8 interviews by the end of September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx for all your advices !
I guess I will just wait until next June to file the application. Maybe during the mean time, I can do more experience to strenghen my file.

Originally posted by VFElf
Thx for all your advices !
I guess I will just wait until next June to file the application. Maybe during the mean time, I can do more experience to strenghen my file.

I'm guessing English is not your first language. I saw your MCAT scores, and was going to say that you don't have a very good shot with that verbal score. But, nevermind if English is not your primary language.

I've got to agree with DW, just for the record.

Adcadet

Originally posted by VFElf
I almost gave up to apply to med school. However, my friend keeps encouraging me to try again. Is it too late to apply for 2003 cycle? Any advise ?

My stats: Sci GPA 3.71, Overal GPA 3.62, MCAT 6/12/11/M, 7/11/11/L

retake the MCAT, and get at least a 9 on verbal...keep the 10+ on the sciences, and you should be fine.

I do think you can get in with the 7 in VR, but you'll definitely want to turn in your AMCAS application in June and not procastinate on the secondaries (or obtaining LORs) once they arrive. Also make sure to apply to a good range of schools, being from California I'd go for 20-25. There's lots of info on SDN regarding good places to apply if you look at old posts.

btw, in addition to improving your EC's I'd also spend the next six months working long and hard on the personal statement. Make sure to have it checked out by English profs, etc. With a 7 and L it'll be important to show the adcoms that you can write, since verbal is basically your only weakness stats wise.

Good luck! You have lots of time now to prepare the best application possible even without another MCAT retake, so I'd say you should be fine. :)

I guess that I will stick with that 7.... since I have tried most of time to improve VR without studying for other sections (only did a few science practice tests two weeks before the test). yeah, surely I can improve it to 10... but it will take a few years by retaking MCAT again and again, since English would be considered as my third language (French is my second). I thought I could do the miracle that some people did by jumping low VR score to double digits. After I see the score, I know that it is unlikely the case to me. That one point improvement meant a lot to me.

Lara, I just saw you are Quebecoise in USA? Wow, I lived in Montreal for 10 years before I moved to USA. Maybe you can understand my situation more than anyone else. I spent 5 first years dedicated to French before I attended an English-speaking unversity. Do you think if I put this into personal statement, the adcoms will take into account?

Hello VFElf,

What's your *first* language?

Your non-verbal stats are fine. I'd get on the AMCAS application site and see if you can apply to some schools now. But whatever you do, stop putting it off and do it NOW! ;)

For sure the adcoms will take it into account regarding your verbal score, so do make sure you let them know!!! In that case I'd definitely forego the MCAT and concentrate on having a solid (and early) application otherwise - like I said, make sure your PS is well written. But you did quite well considering the circumstances. 7 is most definitely better than 6, so you were smart to retake that time.

Hey, where did you go to university? McGill or Concordia? :) I went to Cegep at Marianopolis and then to McGill (class of 2000, tried twice at McGill med before finally applying to the States). Out of curiosity how did you end up in California, and what was your first background before living in Montreal?

btw, do you happen to be a US citizen? If not, you'll need to pay extra attention to where you apply (though I believe coursework in the States could help there). I was born and raised in Montreal, but was lucky to have dual citizenship through my parents so that wasn't an issue. At the very least I think you need permanent resident status to qualify for financial aid (since chances are your best shots will be at expensive private schools).

Lara,

I went to McGill and Cegep John Abbott. I also graduated in 2000. My major is biochem. What was your undergra major? Maybe I have seen you in science class. :) I applied to McGill twice, the first time they offered me interview, but not the second time. I feel that they prefer applicants still attending school. I moved to US in 2001 since my families and I got permanent residency (pretty similar as you). We come to California as we feel more comfortable (more asians) and have relatives here. My first language is Chinese. I never thought UC in-state schools are so competitive. If I knew it before I moved, I would go to New York or other big city.

BTW, how did you put your grades of Cegep on AMCAS application. Do they count into GPA ? This thing screwed my application last year. It says no transcript requirement for Canadian Cegep but it happened to me that AMCAS officers kept sending e-mail to ask for transcript. I e-mailed them back and it ended up with the completion of application in Jan ! Maybe I should ask AMCAS for money refund.

Wow - for sure we must have attended some of the same classes! :) I took some biochem (metabolic 311A and the 300D lab in 98-99) but graduated in Anatomy and Cell Biology. I got an interview the two years I applied to McGill med, but was waitlisted both times (extra annoying since everyone on the list got off the year *before* I applied!!!) In my case I'm pretty sure it was the 3.46 GPA that kept me out.

That's too bad about the AMCAS application - accouting for Cegep really is a pain. :( I'm not sure if it was "right" but a representative on the phone told me to just say I had 30 AP credits (equivalent to freshman year of university). If you're interviewed then you should definitely give the schools a copy of your John Abbott transcript to prove you did all the basic science prerequisites. It worked for me, but you should call AMCAS again (especially in Jan-Feb once they're done with this application cycle) to be sure.

btw, I think there was a form on AMCAS for transcript exemptions - did you fill it out properly before they contacted you? If so they really screwed you, sorry. :mad: But definitely don't give up on applying again - you *can* get in, you just need to be extra diligent. :) Have the Cegep issue straighted out in time for June, work on the PS and keep adding to your EC's, and definitely do your research to make sure you apply to schools you have the best chance at (as an out-of-state permanent resident). Obviously don't count on the UC's, but you might as well give them a shot anyway - you never know if an adcom might be taken by your personal/cultural history! But the key is to have a good range.

Bonne chance! :D