Is it worth it to apply to public DO schools coming from CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterwind_23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a California resident, is it worth it to apply to public/state DO schools? The public DO schools that I'm thinking of are:

MSU
Ohio University
Oklahoma State University
Rowan University
Texas

Are any of these friendly towards OOSers? I have a 3.41 cGPA from a top school and 35 MCAT.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can apply to whatever you can afford with a 35 MCAT.

Do these public DO schools have a strong in-state preference, though? How many OOSers without ties to these states get accepted at these schools? I'm wondering if it would just be throwing money down the drain despite my above-average MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is literally two spots below yours and will offer a lot of information. Some of which I have posted.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ng-in-state-preference.1138474/#post-16510132

But that MCAT score will make you an outlier. I would say OSU and TCOM will have the strongest instate bias out of those listed, but that's just my two cents and I could be incorrect. OU-HCOM also has a 5 year contract that you have to practice in Ohio if you're from out of state, although, they do waive it sometimes.

Thanks, that was helpful! Though my MCAT may be above-average, my GPA is below average. :( Do you think it's still worth a shot applying to public DO schools?

Also, can you provide a complete list of public DO schools in the US? I think I have most of them with my list but I may be missing some.

Thanks, that was helpful! Though my MCAT may be above-average, my GPA is below average. :( Do you think it's still worth a shot applying to public DO schools?

Also, can you provide a complete list of public DO schools in the US? I think I have most of them with my list but I may be missing some.

You got them all. (Except wvsom)

I wouldn't apply to ohio due to the contract.

Tcom is 90% instate but with your mcat your competitive still.

Might get money at MSU but OOS tuition is a lot.

Try public California schools.

Last edited:
No

I had a slightly lower MCAT and got no love from any of them. MSUCOM has an 80k OOS tuition and OU makes you sign a 5 year post grad contract anyways

Yes

I have a Californian in my class, even though we're like 90% in-state. Your MCAT is great and your gpa isn't atrocious, I bet at least one of them would show you some love if the rest of your app doesn't set off red flags.

If you have the time and money, I would definitely give these schools a try.

TCOM MSUCOM Rowan are great schools and you never know if your MCAT/application will attract their attention!

Also do consider these schools are state funded schools therefore have high tuition.

You got them all.

I wouldn't apply to ohio due to the contract.

Tcom is 90% instate but with your mcat your competitive still.

Might get money at MSU but OOS tuition is a lot.

Try public California schools.
Just apply to the OOS tuition reduction. I wish I had known about it before applying.

This thread is literally two spots below yours and will offer a lot of information. Some of which I have posted.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ng-in-state-preference.1138474/#post-16510132

But that MCAT score will make you an outlier. I would say OSU and TCOM will have the strongest instate bias out of those listed, but that's just my two cents and I could be incorrect. OU-HCOM also has a 5 year contract that you have to practice in Ohio if you're from out of state, although, they do waive it sometimes.
the OU contract has a buyout option for around 50k, from what I have heard.

Your MCAT is great, but your GPA leaves a bit to be desired, even if it is from a top tier school.

When I was applying TCOM was required to have at least 90% of their class to be Texas residents, don't know if that's true but they don't accept more than 15-20 oos every year. On top of that average GPA is a 3.6ish. So even with a strong MCAT there's still no guarantees there.

I'd personally also avoid MSU just because of tuition. 89k in tuition for oos plus probably 20k of coa ends up being almost 110k/year. That'll put you almost 450k in debt when you graduate before interest. It's a great school, especially for primary care, but imo 89k tuition is just too much.

I avoided Ohio because of the contract, but if you don't mind staying there a while when you're done it's not a bad option.

Not sure about Rowan. They a little expensive, but nothing like MSU. Out of the 5 I'd say that's the one that's probably the most worth it for oos people.

Edit: The OSU thing previously posted was for tuition, not actual acceptance. My mistake. However, out of their average class size of 115, 86% are Oklahoma residents. So the odds are still not great. OP, if you're going to apply to any of these I'd say to avoid MSU (because of tuition) and probably Ohio and fill out other secondaries where you have a better shot at acceptance first.

Another thing to keep in mind is that public schools often have specific missions that they hope to accomplish. Typically along the lines of producing physicians that want to stay in that state (obviously Ohio does), so many of the oos acceptances probably have decent ties to the state. If you don't fit their mission and don't have ties to the state, it would be pretty tough to get in even if you are a stud applicant.

Last edited:
As a California resident, is it worth it to apply to public/state DO schools? The public DO schools that I'm thinking of are:

MSU
Ohio University
Oklahoma State University
Rowan University
Texas

Are any of these friendly towards OOSers? I have a 3.41 cGPA from a top school and 35 MCAT.

Thanks.
worthwhile to apply to any of them.

I don't see any point. The public DO schools aren't giving you any huge advantages over the CA DO schools (touro, western). You may have slightly more opportunities for research at the public DO schools, but the match lists speak for themselves. Besides TCOM, no DO school really vastly outshines others.

With your MCAT, you might as well apply to the ones you're especially interested. You're enough of an outlier to potentially get their interest.

I'd rule out Ohio for the 5-year contract and MSUCOM for the insane tuition.

I wouldn't ONLY apply to the public schools, however. Keep some of the private ones on your list.

OSU requires that you either live in the state for at least 12 months as a non-student or have a parent who is a resident. So I'd say that's out unless you fit that criteria.

This is not true. Sounds like you're thinking of the rules for in-state tuition.

You got them all.

Actually, there's a sixth public DO school that wasn't listed: WVSOM.

http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/index.html

Sadly not worth it for OOS. They have 88% from New Jersey.

I'm from California and I had a 34 MCAT. My GPA was slightly higher than OP, but we're pretty similar on paper. Rowan was the first school to send me a secondary, the first school to invite me for an interview, and accepted me mere hours after my interview. That 88% number is matriculating students, not accepted students. Some of that high percentage is due to in state bias, but some of it is due to self-selection. Because of the high OOS tuition, many OOS accepted students choose to go elsewhere. Because of the low IS tuition, many IS accepted students choose to attend Rowan. I don't think the bias is as strong as most public schools, although there is still some.

Last edited:

I'm from California and I had a 34 MCAT. My GPA was slightly higher than OP, but we're pretty similar on paper. Rowan was the first school to send me a secondary, the first school to invite me for an interview, and accepted me mere hours after my interview. That 88% number is matriculating students, not accepted students. Some of that high percentage is due to in state bias, but some of it is due to self-selection. Because of the high OOS tuition, many OOS accepted students choose to go elsewhere. Because of the low IS tuition, many IS accepted students choose to attend Rowan. I don't think the bias is as strong as most public schools, although there is still some.

True WVSOM is public. I forget it about since its not usually grouped with the other public since its more OOS friendly and not as well regarded.

I'm surprised you applied DO with a 34 MCAT.