Is medicine still a possibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hankmardukas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This will be my first post on the SDN so please bare with me if I am not utilizing the service correctly.

I am a 21 year old college student. I went to a 4 year university right out of high school which I attended for two years. Unfortunately, I chose to study business which I loathed. The hatred for my subject of study coupled together with some pretty devastating family issues caused me to not perform very well. Those issues plus having a difficult time adjusting to college life away from home, left me with a 3.0 cum after 56 credits. After my second spring semester I took the Fall semester off to reevaluate myself. In that time I moved to CA, enrolled in a community college, enrolled in some computer programming classes and DESPISED them. To be honest, the corporate world as a whole makes me kind of sick to my stomach. Although I hate my current classes, I am projected to get all As in 12 credits. I have always since I was young admired doctors with the up most respect but, I have always ha self esteem issues and never even thought that I had what it takes to become a physician. Now, after some soul searching, I have found the confidence to follow my dream and try my hardest for med school. I know so many sacrifices are made by physicians, and I am truly ready to commit. My question is, have I dug myself in too deep of a whole to crawl out of with my two years at my OOS? I know I've read on SDN of people who have even received a D and still have gotten into medical school in the long run so I feel that has to be some sort of hope. I received about 4 maybe 5 Cs in those two years (I don't have my transcripts handy at the moment) but the rest of my grades were As and Bs. I have also taken none of the med school pre reqs which I feel works to my advantage, if I can really ace them and give it my all, is it possible for me to still have a chance?

I just really want some reassurance from someone, maybe there is a medical student out there with a similar story? I know the road to being a doctor is rigourous but there is absolutely NO other career I can see myself doing. I come from a very not well off family, and I really can not afford to pursue another career that I will not succeed in. My plan would be to attend CC, (take a few pre reqs, Gen Chem, Gen Physics) Transfer to a UC, my intended major would either be Philosophy or English, always enjoyed writing plus hoping it would help me yield a higher gpa and assist me on the VR of the MCAT. Unfortunately, I am also in the same boat with UC undergrad, not sure how they will view my OOS courses, was hoping to TAG to UCD and apply to all the others. Finish my pre reqs at university apply to all California Med schools (i know I am at a disadvantage because CA is so competitive) but I have no problem going post bad or to an OOS med school, I'll go anywhere I get accepted.

Bottom line: Do I have a shot? I really want to avoid DO as much as possible because I feel like they are very looked down upon in the medical community, if you feel differently I'd love to hear about it. I am sorry this is so dragged out but after prowling SDN for similar threads of my situation I just really need to hear some feedback on my current situation.

Thank you so much for reading! Can not wait to hear back!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, medicine is still a possibility. MD is possible, the road is longer and will be more of a stretch given your academic history but still possible with a complete turn around, killer ECs, sick MCAT, and possible a post-bac/SMP.

DO is more likely of a shot for you however with grade replacement. What makes a doctor respected is their ability as a physician not the letters behind their name. Can't speak for other places and this is n=1, but in my state DOs and MDs treat eachother as equals. It's just a pre-med misconception that DOs are lesser physicians.

Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the kind words and timely response!

its great to hear MD is still within my grasp barring I truly give it my all. I'm hoping to properly convey my passion in my personal statement as well which I have heard helps non-traditional students like myself really explain their abnormal situation. I am a minority under the poverty line, I am not sure if that helps my cause, but honestly would rather be admitted for my hard work not for my skin color/financial situation.

Can I ask, what are the biggest differences between MD and DO? Why is DO easier? Is it possible for DOs to compete for competitive residencies/specialties?

I would gladly enter a DO program granted it wouldn't limit me as in what specialties are available and how much of an impact I can make.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't want to be play the "MD vs. DO" game because I know there must be countless threads but its so hard to get a valid response. I read forums on the subject and someone will answer that there is no difference while someone will argue that is not even comparable and unbelievably inferior and closer to chiropractic than MD. Which I would imagine must be a stretch.

No problem! I always enjoy being able to help, being able to convey your story and show a great turn around will definitely keep you in the runnings.

Like Goro says, we all love a good underdog story(or something along those lines).

If I could suggest looking into the non-trad and underdog forums, I think that would be very helpful for you! There's plenty of great motivating stories of people out there that have turned around situations much worse than yours. Some of those people would be able to offer more specific advice than myself.

And not to sounds rude or anything but I don't think I can willingly answer some of those DO vs MD questions on here without somehow sparking a debate(at least this is what I've gathered from seeing at least 1 of them a day break out on here).

I'll just keep it short. You can make whatever impact you push yourself to make either way. DO is harder for competitive specialties yes. Yes people have gotten into and still do make it into competitive specialties being DO grads. Do they face more challenges getting those residencies compared to MDs? Yes. Most of these debates are just regurgitated opinions, facts, and speculations and they're all over this website. You can make a difference as a physician either way, that's up to you OP.

That ended up not being as short as I wanted it to, God I hope this doesn't break out into an MD vs DO debate.

Oh and DO is more attainable because AACOMAS allows grade replacement for retaking classes. So they're more forgiving for people like my who messed up their first couple semesters.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I will surely check the non traditional applicant forums I'd imagine there would be great information for me and would be nice to hear some underdog success stories (hopefully I'll be posting one someday lol).

And yes from your thorough answer and the research I've been doing on other MD vs. DO forums (which can be even more ruthless than you described lol) I'm seeing that DO cardiologists and even DO ortho surgeons do in fact exist, so it is possible. DOs can apply to MD residencies and DO residencies from what I see. It seems like no matter which road you take its what you make of it and how hard you are willing to work.

Hopefully I can pull a high enough MCAT and gpa to get accepted to at least a low-tier med school so I won't have to worry. I feel MCAT is the equalizer since no matter how un traditional an applicant may be, a high score can not be contested. But it's a massive stress reliever that med school rejection isn't the end and there are options for aspiring doctors who will never give up. Such as post bac/SMP and DO school if it comes down to it.

Thank you so much for your help! I have been feeling very discouraged thinking all hope is lost but I realize now it's not over. Some people can be pretty harsh on here so I appreciate your kindness!

Reactions: 1 user